Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 6
Link Posted: 9/26/2021 2:59:34 PM EDT
[#1]
Yes. All fast toys get Redline. Everything else gets Valvoline Advanced Synthetic or QSUD and Wix XP filters.
Link Posted: 9/26/2021 3:01:15 PM EDT
[#2]
How much more important is filtration that the oil itself?     I do my own changes cause I don't want the cheapest filter they could find strapped on there.   How much better is Wix XP  vs. Wix?     Feel free to recommend cheaper high quality filters
Link Posted: 9/26/2021 3:02:05 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I paid for four years of oil changes and other required maintenance in advance when I bought my new vehicle in July.

I still do the maintenance on my beater, and no, I don't use Walmart oil.  Pennzoil, Quaker State, etc. whatever is on sale.
View Quote

If you use Pennzoil/Quaker State, you might as well use Supertech, they make it. Save a couple bucks.
Link Posted: 9/26/2021 3:03:12 PM EDT
[#4]
I'll use Supertech synthetic when I change the oil in my mom's Subaru, since she doesn't drive that much. It's also gets 5w30, not the 0w20 recommended that the car guzzles. Hardly any consumption with the heavier oil.  My car gets either Motul 8100 or Pennzoil Euro Platinum, Dodge CTD 12v gets Rotella 15w40.
Link Posted: 9/26/2021 3:03:25 PM EDT
[#5]
2017 Subaru WRX, 96,000 miles, changed myself every 5-7k with Supertech and a cheapo FRAM filter.  Still runs just fine
Link Posted: 9/26/2021 3:03:25 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

As a matter of fact .
Paid cash for it in 2015 and will drive it until it blows up or gets wrecked ( like the last one) then go buy another for cash. A to B with minimal expense.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
I got lazy when I found a place that would do it for $32 w veteran discount. My commuter car only takes 2 3/4 qts.

I do change it myself in our beater hauling truck.

I'm guessing your commuter car is a Nissan.

As a matter of fact .
Paid cash for it in 2015 and will drive it until it blows up or gets wrecked ( like the last one) then go buy another for cash. A to B with minimal expense.

Mine holds 2-7/8 quarts with filter, according to the specifications in the owner's manual. Being able to do a synthetic oil change for less than $15 is pretty awesome, in my opinion!
Link Posted: 9/26/2021 3:03:55 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Supertech is good oil & probably the best value there is.

Many people have tested it, it’s good stuff.
View Quote

It is good oil. As good as any of the “others”. It also faired better than those “others”, by the dude on YouTube. If someone has proof that the “others” are better, please, let’s see it.

The GMC dealer asked me the last time I was there, “why are you getting your 21 Yukon oil changed at Walmart?”  I said, because their oil is as good, if not better, than the Mobil 1 you use. That, and I save a $50 dollar bill every time I do it.. That’s why. I do use Mobil 1 filters…
Link Posted: 9/26/2021 3:04:46 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

sometimes i mix random leftover quarts of oil together when changing oil on my personal cah.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Yes, I still change mine sometimes.
It's pretty easy on a truck with a cartridge filter

I also use whatever oil is the cheapest, including Walmart conventional.

I'm not even sure I used the right weight of oil last time I did it

Speed

sometimes i mix random leftover quarts of oil together when changing oil on my personal cah.

Our CRV just got a mix of castrol edge, Kendall GT-1 Max, and Pennz Plat.  

The Odyssey has majority Valvoline extended protection 5w30 and .5 Kendall 0w20 in it now too.  
Link Posted: 9/26/2021 3:05:25 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Lulz, yes. Mobil 1.
View Quote

Link Posted: 9/26/2021 3:05:33 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Yes

No because I use the Mobil 1 that has the Dexon approval that GM issues to oils they have tested and determined are compatible with their engines.
View Quote

You mean like every other synthetic PCMO on Walmart shelves including Supertech?  
Link Posted: 9/26/2021 3:07:46 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I'm capable of it, but I don't.

If I do it myself, I'll be spending $40+ dollars on oil and a filter, then have to crawl around under my vehicle on a gravel driveway, then need to store the oil until I can dispose of it. For $15 more I can sit in my car dicking around on my phone while someone else does it strips my oil drain plug, torques my oil filter to 100 ft. lbs. and forgets to refill my oil.
View Quote
Fixed it for ya'
Link Posted: 9/26/2021 3:08:09 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

If you use Pennzoil/Quaker State, you might as well use Supertech, they make it. Save a couple bucks.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I paid for four years of oil changes and other required maintenance in advance when I bought my new vehicle in July.

I still do the maintenance on my beater, and no, I don't use Walmart oil.  Pennzoil, Quaker State, etc. whatever is on sale.

Wait, what?
Link Posted: 9/26/2021 3:11:30 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Wait, what?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Wait, what?

Ask a Walmart associate to entet a barcode number for Supertech oil into the inventory system. Under supplier information it will say Pennzoil/Quaker State.

Link Posted: 9/26/2021 3:12:11 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
How much more important is filtration that the oil itself?     I do my own changes cause I don't want the cheapest filter they could find strapped on there.   How much better is Wix XP  vs. Wix?     Feel free to recommend cheaper high quality filters
View Quote

The Supertech filters generally get good reviews. I think they are/were Champion, but can't remember for certain.

Personally, I like Champion or Wix filters, and avoid Fram like the plague.

Tear one of your used filters apart some time, paying careful attention to the end caps on the pleated filter media. The lower end Fram filters use a cardboard cap that is glued into place, rather than metal end caps. The anti-drainback valve is another important feature that can differ between brands, if that matters for your specific vehicle.

Plenty of YouTube videos out there, if you're willing to take a trip down the rabbit hole.
Link Posted: 9/26/2021 3:13:30 PM EDT
[#15]
everything gets mobil 1.

even the 15 year old push mower.
Link Posted: 9/26/2021 3:16:00 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

The Supertech filters generally get good reviews. I think they are/were Champion, but can't remember for certain.

Tear one of your used filters apart some time, paying careful attention to the end caps on the pleated filter media. The lower end Fram filters use a cardboard cap that is glued into place, rather than metal end caps. The anti-drainback valve is another important feature that can differ between brands, if that matters for your specific vehicle.

Plenty of YouTube videos out there, if you're willing to take a trip down the rabbit hole.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Some of the cheap(er) filters use fiber end caps as well.
Link Posted: 9/26/2021 3:16:10 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Ask a Walmart associate to entet a barcode number for Supertech oil into the inventory system. Under supplier information it will say Pennzoil/Quaker State.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Wait, what?

No, it will not.

Please don’t post that anymore.

SOPUS doesn’t make supertech.
Link Posted: 9/26/2021 3:18:43 PM EDT
[#18]
I change it myself. I use Mobil One fully synthetic from Walmart for most of our cars
Link Posted: 9/26/2021 3:19:00 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

No, it will not.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Wait, what?

No, it will not.

Attachment Attached File

I was trying to give him a chance to retract his statement but he decided to double down on retard.  
Link Posted: 9/26/2021 3:20:16 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Super tech is actually decent oil.
View Quote

This

I use the full synthetic extended mileage with a M1 filter.
As always, Dexos rated is a requirement.

Jay
Link Posted: 9/26/2021 3:20:24 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

/media/mediaFiles/sharedAlbum/savage_JPG-180.jpg

I was trying to give him a chance to retract his statement but he decided to double down on retard.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Wait, what?

No, it will not.

Savage would be posting a picture of the supertech Dexos license number.

Then screen shot’ing the manufacturer from the Dexos website.

Meh.

Fuck it.

Link Posted: 9/26/2021 3:23:44 PM EDT
[#22]
I used supertech oil in my Accord for several years and it has 375000 now.  I switched over to the Kirkland full synthetic after Walmart stopped carrying ammo.
Link Posted: 9/26/2021 3:24:03 PM EDT
[#23]
My own. Mobil Delvac Full synthetic every 5K. At 140k now....just getting broken in. From Blackstone last oil change.

Your diesel's report turned out great! We didn't find any signs of excess wear since metals are
in such good shape compared to universal averages. Just look at how low the levels - iron leads the pack
and 6 ppm is far below the 21 ppm that averages show as typical (and for reference, the far right column is
based on just a slightly longer run of about 6,700 miles). If the levels in this sample become the norm then
you might have the nicest wearing 6.6L Duramax we've come across.
No contamination showed up and the
viscosity read like a 15W/40
View Quote
Link Posted: 9/26/2021 3:30:55 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Lulz, yes. Mobil 1.
View Quote

This wix or napa gold filter
Link Posted: 9/26/2021 3:38:24 PM EDT
[#25]
Yes I change my oil. Buy it when Mobil one goes on sale.

Fukumoto valve and a lifted truck makes life easy. Take gallon jug and hoes, flip lever open fill and walk away.

5 minutes later put oil pan under oil filter replace flip drain lever fill and done.
Link Posted: 9/26/2021 3:40:08 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Yes. No
View Quote

Link Posted: 9/26/2021 3:40:52 PM EDT
[#27]
When I change my own oil, I use Mobil One.
Link Posted: 9/26/2021 3:41:27 PM EDT
[#28]
Yes.
No.

I buy all my oil at Costco.
Low price, high quality.
Link Posted: 9/26/2021 3:43:03 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
No.

No.
View Quote

@Foxtrot08  Being the resident oil SME, what’s the deal with SuperTech? Is it really that bad?
Link Posted: 9/26/2021 3:45:28 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

@Foxtrot08  Being the resident oil SME, what’s the deal with SuperTech? Is it really that bad?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
No.

No.

It’s fine.

Any pcmo that meets Dexos 1 Gen 2 and SP/GF6 is arguably going to all be about the same.  There’s a few recent fuck fuck games being played due to the group 3 base oil shortages. But once they clear up, back to normal.  Supertech / mag one / Warren / high line aftermarket.  All good. We buy the same base oil.
Link Posted: 9/26/2021 3:50:03 PM EDT
[#31]
Yes, I change my own oil

While I don't use Supertech in my cars, I do use Supertech full synthetic in my small engines.
Link Posted: 9/26/2021 3:51:01 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Isn’t Walmart oil sub par, kinda like their firearms?
View Quote

Yes. Firearm manufacturers purposely make inferior models of their guns to sell to Walmart...
Link Posted: 9/26/2021 3:51:46 PM EDT
[#33]

Who Makes Supertech Oil?
Supertech oil is made by Warren Oil Company, Inc. which is among the largest independent maker of lubricants in America. Their oil is the most recommended for mechanics due to its high quality. Even when the Supertech oil remains of high quality, its price is still very affordable.

Supertech oil meets all the standards set for oil products in the United States. Despite its affordable rates this company produces reliable and quality products that the user can rely on. The manufacturer has also made sure that this oil is environmentally friendly.

The oil has a license from dexos 1 brand and the warranty of your vehicle will not be void when you use it.

https://rxmechanic.com/supertech-oil/
Link Posted: 9/26/2021 3:53:11 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

Who Makes Supertech Oil?
Supertech oil is made by Warren Oil Company, Inc. which is among the largest independent maker of lubricants in America. Their oil is the most recommended for mechanics due to its high quality. Even when the Supertech oil remains of high quality, its price is still very affordable.

Supertech oil meets all the standards set for oil products in the United States. Despite its affordable rates this company produces reliable and quality products that the user can rely on. The manufacturer has also made sure that this oil is environmentally friendly.

The oil has a license from dexos 1 brand and the warranty of your vehicle will not be void when you use it.

https://rxmechanic.com/supertech-oil/
View Quote

More complicated question:

Who’s additive and base oil do they use?
Link Posted: 9/26/2021 3:54:58 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

Almost all of the cheap(er) filters use fiber end caps.
View Quote

Fram is the only one I'm aware of.

Care to cite your source?
Link Posted: 9/26/2021 3:55:59 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
I use a quick lube because I like my shit done right and quick lubes are the only place I've found that use blue silicone on the plug and drive it home with an M18.
View Quote

Link Posted: 9/26/2021 3:57:23 PM EDT
[#37]
Yes.

I'll use ST in the beater truck.
Link Posted: 9/26/2021 3:59:43 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

No, it will not.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Wait, what?

No, it will not.

It changed within the last 4 or 5 years then. I've looked it up myself.
Link Posted: 9/26/2021 3:59:59 PM EDT
[#39]
Yes, and fuck walmart.
ETA, I can sit up under my truck and the wife's T4R goes on the ramps.
Link Posted: 9/26/2021 4:08:13 PM EDT
[#40]
If I had garage space and could put in a basic lift, I'd probably still do my own maintenance. I used to really enjoy it, and it obviously saved me money.

However, my time is money too, and shit hurts more as you get older. I can't justify wiggling under my truck on a gravel driveway to change my oil for $50 in synthetics and a filter when I can go to the local speedy oil change service and get in and out in 15 minutes with a tire rotation and other fluid top-off for under $100. Money well spent.
Link Posted: 9/26/2021 4:11:07 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Yes I change my oil. Buy it when Mobil one goes on sale.

Fukumoto valve and a lifted truck makes life easy. Take gallon jug and hoes, flip lever open fill and walk away.

5 minutes later put oil pan under oil filter replace flip drain lever fill and done.
View Quote
I guess there are other incentives to do your own oil change in your area...lol
Link Posted: 9/26/2021 4:11:29 PM EDT
[#42]
I use supertech almost exclusively based on price. If something's cheaper and still synthetic, I'll use it but I haven't found it yet.

At $3.05 a quart it cannot be beat.
Link Posted: 9/26/2021 4:14:10 PM EDT
[#43]
LOL at everyone thinking the Supertech oil is inferior. Pay more for Mobil 1, it's basically the same shit especially in a regular daily driven car.

I've used Amazon oil and now Kirkland since it's cheaper especially when on sale. They're all made by the same company.

The actual expert has spoken on this many times and again in this thread. Changing your oil in time and using the correct viscosity is more important.

If you're driving anything at or beyond the level of an AMG or M then get it done at the dealer with their oil but a Honda, Ford, etc? lol
Link Posted: 9/26/2021 4:14:34 PM EDT
[#44]
I don't bother changing my own oil but I use supertech to top up if anything gets low.   I also use it in my lawnmower.   Nothing has blown up.  Yet.
Link Posted: 9/26/2021 4:15:57 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Almost all of the cheap(er) filters use fiber end caps.

BITOG used oil filter forum where they cut open filters and post the results
Link Posted: 9/26/2021 4:16:36 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Yes.
No.

I buy all my oil at Costco.
Low price, high quality.
View Quote

tfw it's virtually the same exact oil
Link Posted: 9/26/2021 4:16:57 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

Meh.

Fuck it.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/148484/3B2C7B80-641B-47A1-B741-9CBD066A40AE-2106790.jpg
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Wait, what?

No, it will not.

Meh.

Fuck it.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/148484/3B2C7B80-641B-47A1-B741-9CBD066A40AE-2106790.jpg

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 9/26/2021 4:18:16 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Wait, what?

No, it will not.

Wrong again.

And I posted a picture of it.

Spoiler:

They’re all the same Dexos license.

Warren has made Supertech for 15-20 years now.

Edit:
I literally co owned a refinery with Warren distribution.
Link Posted: 9/26/2021 4:20:09 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

Wrong again.

Spoiler:

Edit:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Wait, what?

No, it will not.

Wrong again.

Spoiler:

Edit:

Attachment Attached File

Shit about to get real up in this mother
Link Posted: 9/26/2021 4:22:41 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

tfw it's virtually the same exact oil
View Quote

This…. Do your research.  Many of the bargain brands are top quality.

Just went through a round of oil changes, about 8 gallons total.  It was mostly Kirkland.

Wix filters.

Only time I get into brands like Mobil1 is when I need a more obscure weight.

Come to think of it, I have two gallons of Amazon Basics 20w50 on the way.
Page / 6
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top