User Panel

Page / 9
Link Posted: 9/24/2021 12:12:58 AM EDT
[#1]
I had a sixty-nine Chevy 396
Fuelie heads and a Hurst on the floor
Link Posted: 9/24/2021 12:19:40 AM EDT
[#2]
All 70s music was fucking horrible.  Disco was pure shit, country went to shit, and the British "rock" was fucking pathetic.  Fucking KISS was a joke.

It was a sad sad time in history for music.
Link Posted: 9/24/2021 2:21:46 AM EDT
[#3]
'65 to '94 Best ride of my life.  Anyone that thinks today is better is tarded.
Link Posted: 9/24/2021 2:33:16 AM EDT
[#4]
I've spent many hours in a hazy room on a couch exactly like that.  
Link Posted: 9/24/2021 3:07:32 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History

The only way that album cover could be any gayer is if those dudes all had a dick in their mouths.
Link Posted: 9/24/2021 3:11:13 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I got alot of pussy in the 70s , now the pussy I get is close to 70
View Quote

Holy shit #Metoo!
Link Posted: 9/24/2021 3:49:59 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
No helmets

No seat belts.

You could smoke in a hospital.
View Quote

The one that blows my kids' minds: student smoking lounges at the high school.
Link Posted: 9/24/2021 4:03:49 AM EDT
[#8]
I wasn't around for much of the 70s, but what little I could remember from back then was that it sure felt safer than it does now.

We did have bomb threats in school several times.  

The great 80s bands were forming up and recording their first albums in the 70s.  Black Sabbath, Led Zepplin, Queen, Van Halen, Iron Maiden, Judas Priest and so many others were from that era.  
Link Posted: 9/24/2021 4:05:35 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

I doubt it was Baltimore or New Orleans
View Quote

I lived in Jefferson a few blocks from the Hughey P Long bridge and it was fine back then.  But that area has definitely declined now.
Link Posted: 9/24/2021 4:13:05 AM EDT
[#10]
I was born in 70 so I remember the 80’s much better of course. That being said, I have fond memories of the 70’s. I liked the music; some of it I still love to this day. Steely Dan, Doobie Brothers, Kenny Loggins, Heart, Eagles, ELO, Fleetwood Mac, Marshall Tucker Band and so on. Many of those bands continued on into the 80’s and later, but they were all a part of my early 70’s childhood.  Good music!
Link Posted: 9/24/2021 4:14:49 AM EDT
[#11]
When you were living it, you judged it by what had come before.
Don't look at the past with the knowledge of what's come along since.
There were some things that were wildly unpopular at the time...econobox cars meant to improve fuel mileage were never popular, for instance.
Politicians were as hated then as they are now.
You still had a lot of old people still living who'd literally been around since the beginning of the 20th century who wouldn't hesitate to tell you that we were all going to hell because of that Devil's music rock and roll and all sorts of social issues they didn't like.
For those of us growing up in the era, for the most part our parents did what parents are supposed to do and try to shield their kids from the worst of the real world. That's why every generation thinks that things were better when they were kids.. they were protected to some degree from the realities of the world.
Link Posted: 9/24/2021 4:15:44 AM EDT
[#12]
OP likes his 2010's shades of grey with metrosexual names like onyx, slate, and whetstone.
Link Posted: 9/24/2021 4:17:53 AM EDT
[#13]
At least most people were fit and not fat like you see today.
Link Posted: 9/24/2021 5:26:46 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
No social media in those days, so you only experienced what was in your immediate surroundings.  And guns were CHEAP.
View Quote

It was far better than today.

Everybody worked.  You could get out of high school get a good job buy a truck and rent a small place or apartment by yourself and have money to buy guns and hunt.

M16s colts were at gun shows for 600-700 dollars.  Ammo was cheap.
You could hunt ducks and geese with lead shot.
AIDS was not around.  Cops were pretty cool back then about guns and you could still drink a beer driving across Texas.  Everyone had a sliding rear glass and a cooler in the bed of the truck for beer.

You could hunt for free in most places but hunting leases were cheap too.

Good times for the most part.  People knew right from wrong.
Link Posted: 9/24/2021 5:47:32 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
I was born in 70 so my perspective is that of a kid during that time.

The one thing that really stands out in my memory, that people don’t understand today, is the amount of trash that was everywhere. Beside the roads, in the parks, everywhere. Littering was just a thing you did. When someone was done with a fast food bag, they’d just pitch it out the car window. Glass bottles broken everywhere, pop tops that would cut your foot open. It was like that everywhere.

In some ways it’s a lot cleaner these days. But in other ways it’s not.
View Quote

Born in '71.  I remember this as well.
Link Posted: 9/24/2021 5:56:48 AM EDT
[#16]
Something from the era that I bought much later but really liked during that era.

Link Posted: 9/24/2021 5:57:42 AM EDT
[#17]
“Horrible music”

OP has AIDS
Link Posted: 9/24/2021 6:39:08 AM EDT
[#18]

60's Chargers were better.

1970's had:

+1 in shape women.

-1 huge bush-maybe that's a +1 for some.

-1 pointy boobs. Again, that's probably a +1 for some.
Link Posted: 9/24/2021 6:54:58 AM EDT
[#19]
70's

Lynyrd Skynyrd
Led Zepplin
Boston
Van Halen
The Big Red Machine
Oakland Raiders with Stabler, Cowboys with Staubach, Steelers with Bradshaw.
Used 60's cars fairly cheap.
USA made Schwinn bicycles, no helmet.
Kids played outside until the street lights came on.

I was a kid, didn't worry about taxes, gas or interest rates.

The 70's were good, not nearly as good as the 80's.
Link Posted: 9/24/2021 7:23:21 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
OP is thinking of the late 70's. The early part of the decade had excellent cars, excellent music and no bras.
View Quote

Picture a hot and humid day.  Maybe a little rain shower.  Non-obese young women in large numbers entering an icy cold air-conditioned building.  SPROING!
Link Posted: 9/24/2021 7:34:36 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Disco dance halls were awesome places.

Lou's Rule: Women dance because they like to dance.  Men dance because they like the women who like to dance.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Disco sucked!

The rest, not so bad.

Disco dance halls were awesome places.

Lou's Rule: Women dance because they like to dance.  Men dance because they like the women who like to dance.

This.

Tide pod thread.

Link Posted: 9/24/2021 7:35:37 AM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 9/24/2021 7:42:04 AM EDT
[#23]
It was awesome/awful…
Link Posted: 9/24/2021 7:43:04 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I was born in 70 so my perspective is that of a kid during that time.

The one thing that really stands out in my memory, that people don’t understand today, is the amount of trash that was everywhere. Beside the roads, in the parks, everywhere. Littering was just a thing you did. When someone was done with a fast food bag, they’d just pitch it out the car window. Glass bottles broken everywhere, pop tops that would cut your foot open. It was like that everywhere.

In some ways it’s a lot cleaner these days. But in other ways it’s not.

Born 71 too. A high spot was 1976, when we didn’t need a tragedy like 9/11 to unify us, and it lasted longer than a week.

Then the late 70s. Bleak, very bleak. 1980 was really dawn in America and if you ask me, we’re still feeling the ripple effect from a politically and financially gangbusters decade.
Link Posted: 9/24/2021 7:45:41 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
The hippies from the 70's are the politicians ruining shit now. It's funny that their mantra went from "power to the people" to "the government knows best!"
View Quote

Well, they smoked alot of dope and dropped alot of acid, so trusting in their judgment is are fault.
Link Posted: 9/24/2021 7:48:46 AM EDT
[#26]
I was a teenager in the 70's, there were no fat chicks. At most, there were a bit overweight ones but you didn't see land whales waddling about or getting towed around in a pre whopper chopper.
Link Posted: 9/24/2021 7:48:49 AM EDT
[#27]
We had the identical sofa and chairs that are in the op.
Link Posted: 9/24/2021 7:53:25 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

I doubt it was Baltimore or New Orleans
View Quote

I hung out in Baltimore because my mom owned a tenement building there. Shit was poor and run down (urban blight years) but so was everywhere.  The tenants of the building would break shit to avoid paying rent.  People still seemed to be happier then even.
Link Posted: 9/24/2021 7:56:29 AM EDT
[#29]
The 70s  were great.
Link Posted: 9/24/2021 8:05:51 AM EDT
[#30]

I graduated from High School in '79.
This young lady was quite typical to the girls in my school.

Average looks,  but tried to be pretty.
And their bodies were also pretty.
With lovely full bushes.

YUM...

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 9/24/2021 8:11:50 AM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 9/24/2021 8:13:38 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
The 70s had some of the best music ever.  You're just ignoring it by focusing on disco.  Disco was pop for the 70s and pop always sucks.  
The 70s also had some of the coolest muscle cars ever.  You're also ignoring them.
But yes, the fashions sucked.
View Quote

Hot pants and halter tops?
Link Posted: 9/24/2021 8:15:02 AM EDT
[#33]
You're right OP, a lot of that stuff hasn't "aged well" and looks ridiculous now when you look at old photos of it.

But you had to be IN those times, to understand them.

It's a hard thing to describe.
Link Posted: 9/24/2021 8:15:27 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
I got alot of pussy in the 70s , now the pussy I get is close to 70
View Quote

Retro 70s beaver FTW!

Link Posted: 9/24/2021 8:17:05 AM EDT
[#35]
The beginning of forced segregation in the south.  It was fun, until they made whitey stop bringing their rifles to high school.  Fkrs............
Link Posted: 9/24/2021 8:18:15 AM EDT
[#36]

Best childhood any man could have had.
Link Posted: 9/24/2021 8:19:05 AM EDT
[#37]
Very few fat asses.
Link Posted: 9/24/2021 8:23:02 AM EDT
[#38]
Smokey and the Bandit. Enough said.
Link Posted: 9/24/2021 8:28:06 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
70's cars were great. Then they weren't. Then they went to complete shit.
View Quote

I do remember something about Pintos detonating reliably when hit.
Link Posted: 9/24/2021 8:30:46 AM EDT
[#40]
70s were pretty good for me.  I could walk in to Sears, Wards or Walmart and walk out with guns and ammo.  A box of 22 was 49 cents.  Drive up the road and shoot in empty fields.  

I also remember one of the guys bringing his 12 ga shotgun to shop class to refinish the stock.  Try doing that now.
Link Posted: 9/24/2021 8:35:55 AM EDT
[#41]
Nobody bothered to lock their homes, vehicles around here.  Guns in vehicles @ school parking lots, shop class.
Link Posted: 9/24/2021 8:37:39 AM EDT
[#42]
Well there wasn't some tranny drag queen reading hour at the local library.
Disco sucked but that's where the chicks were. (Saw the Beegees live and it was the best live production I have seen on a small stage. They didn't play a fixed set, they played to the crowd).
Ted Nugent, Frank Zappa, Rush.  Friday nights at the bar usually meant live music.  I saw John Cougar playing in a bar he wasn't old enough to drink in.
There was 1/2 an hour of news. Not 24 hour rinse and repeat 40 times a day news. People tended to think for themselves.
People had manners something that seems to be lost these days.

My '71 Firebird dropped more panties than your civic.
Link Posted: 9/24/2021 8:38:37 AM EDT
[#43]
View Quote

So he's destroying a railroad, hurdling a giant shitbox, racing a horse, and uprooting a tree with his bare hands.

It's not the hero we want, but it's the hero we deserve.
Link Posted: 9/24/2021 8:40:47 AM EDT
[#44]
You know not of what you speak.  I would gladly go back to the Seventies over what we are living with today.  Classic rock music performed live.  The early 70's cars were still awesome, after 74 they went downhill fast.
Link Posted: 9/24/2021 8:41:14 AM EDT
[#45]
Turned 20 in 1974,   seemed to be able to do things on little money.    College years ,so I was concerned w/ that,   things were simpler and you had less tech to distract you ,   magazines were your info source.   Liked the overall vibe back then,  get out and do things, especially outdoors.  It was all a learning experience as I didn't seem to know a whole lot.
Link Posted: 9/24/2021 8:43:35 AM EDT
[#46]
Original VH album 1978

VH II 1979

Link Posted: 9/24/2021 8:46:57 AM EDT
[#48]
Link Posted: 9/24/2021 8:47:56 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Original VH album 1978

VH II 1979

View Quote

I remember the night I first heard the first VH album.  I was at a kids birthday party and someone got it for him as a gift.  He slapped it on the record player and I was like ,"this is some magic shit".  I was 10 years old and it was 1978.
Link Posted: 9/24/2021 8:48:47 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
70's cars were great. Then they weren't. Then they went to complete shit.

I'm struggling to think of a car made from 1974 to 1984 that wasn't a complete pile of shit.  The early 80s absolutely own bad cars too.

Pretty much everyone thinks the era when they started getting laid was pretty good.
Page / 9
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top