Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 87
Link Posted: 9/25/2021 12:44:19 PM EDT
[Last Edit: wgjhsafT] [#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Splittiebus66:
Mirroring an earlier post, I have a friend who is a p/t lunch lady at our district. She's in charge of the orders/unloading and also is having issues. She said the trucks have been showing up basically empty.

Our stores here in my area are feast or famine. One will be stripped bare, the other full of product. Dairy seems the most affected.
View Quote
One of my kids runs a restaurant.  Similar situation with intermittent stock and supply issues.  

Some of this has to do with the lockdowns and how food is packaged for restaurants and other businesses can personal use.  The rest is shady.
Link Posted: 9/25/2021 12:51:11 PM EDT
[#2]
Originally Posted By glklvr:

You're not wrong. Food is easier and cheaper to buy the bigger you go. When I got married my wife hated leftovers. It costs a lot to buy things in small quantities. Luckily now she's sees the utility and saw the savings- it took 20 years. We still aren't eating the same thing all week but she's all about buying the near non-perishable staples like rice, pasta and sauces, and some canned items.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By glklvr:
Originally Posted By swingset:
I'm a single guy feeding myself, which is difficult if you don't eat the same thing every day (and I just can't do that shit, kudos to you food prep dudes who can) or eating shitty frozen meals (and I hate those fucking things...they all seem to have a weird taste). It makes bulk or fresh foods difficult. The fresh/fit meals ready to go are an option, but after doing some spreadsheets and watching my expenses and weighing my option I figured out I'm at the point where kind of no matter what I do I'm going to spend $15 a day on meals...by the time I factor in ingredients, prep, etc. It used to be about $10-12, but the prices are soaring on the fresh stuff I normally eat (steak, chicken, fresh veggies).

Whatever I've done to shave that down has ended up in stuff I hated eating and food went to waste. So, figuring $15a day for meals, I've started buying a Subway power bowl for lunch (there's like 20 variations of this, so it doesn't get old). Fast, easy, low-carb and some of them are pretty tasty when you ditch that shitty bread.

Then for dinner, I'm picking up a meal-to-go from the scratch kitchens on the way home. Freshly made restaurant quality meal for around $7.95, often enough I have leftovers. Or, I can hit a taco truck and get 3 for $7.

I'm freed from buying groceries for the most part, spending the same money, with so much less fuss and time sunk into meals...and my calories are under control.

Pretty crazy I'm at the point where going out for every meal is sitting about where I used to be making everything myself.

You're not wrong. Food is easier and cheaper to buy the bigger you go. When I got married my wife hated leftovers. It costs a lot to buy things in small quantities. Luckily now she's sees the utility and saw the savings- it took 20 years. We still aren't eating the same thing all week but she's all about buying the near non-perishable staples like rice, pasta and sauces, and some canned items.

You don’t need to eat the same thing all week.

Buy a vacuum sealer and vacuum seal leftover meats in meal size portions. Then take the frozen vacuum sealed package and drop in a pot of boiling water for about 30 minutes to reheat. Tastes like you just cooked it. Doesn’t lose flavor, tenderness or dry out.

We have precooked chicken, ribs, fajitas, brisket, pulled pork etc in our freezer with a dry erase board on the door that acts as a menu. We actually overcook meats on weekends for this purpose.

We call them boil bags. Then we just cook the sides to go with them. Once you build up some inventory the variety is awesome. It’s also a great time saver during the week when you’re busy and don’t feel like cooking.
Link Posted: 9/25/2021 12:56:15 PM EDT
[Last Edit: buck19delta] [#3]
Added 10 flats of canned vegetables, 2 big cans of coffee, several cases of water, and some cleaners and tp to my store room today.
Link Posted: 9/25/2021 1:07:36 PM EDT
[#4]
Just texted a guy that works at my local Costco:

1 case of water or 1 pack of toilet paper per day

Looks like I need to invest in a Brita or something...I don't have enough pressure for an under the sink reverse osmosis filter and my well water tastes like ass lol.

Speed
Link Posted: 9/25/2021 1:50:03 PM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By speedracer422:

Looks like I need to invest in a Brita or something...I don't have enough pressure for an under the sink reverse osmosis filter and my well water tastes like ass lol.

Speed
View Quote

I am about to spring on a Berkey filter. I think the Royal for us.
Link Posted: 9/25/2021 1:50:06 PM EDT
[Last Edit: speedbuggy16v] [#6]
Originally Posted By Canoeguy:
I know this is talked about regularly but maybe someone will read this and actually look at what is going on.

I do most of the shopping for my wife and I and I am telling you it is getting ridiculous. On top of that supply is getting low. This past Saturday I went to the store and couldn't find multiple items in the brands I have always bought.

Ribeyes were $18.97 a pound. I usually buy Oscar Meyer bacon but today I bought the grocery store brand because the Oscar Meyers was $9 for 12 oz. the food city brand was $4 when you bought 5.

I am fairly comfortable. I don't even pay attention to price most of the time for just the two of us. But I am not finding my brands more and more and the prices are getting to the point I am passing up items I am just not willing to pay for.

Again, I know this isn't news to anyone paying attention but maybe it will help someone. And one last thing to consider

You can not help your nation if you can not take care of yourself and your family.
View Quote
I saw this coming over a year ago and started to look towards hydroponic gardening in addition to my normal garden.  It's doing so well even these lil bastards have heard about it and are evidently hitching rides on the dog to get in the house.  
Attachment Attached File

these plants are about 6 weeks old now.
Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 9/25/2021 1:54:54 PM EDT
[#7]

Laugh all you want. It will cost me about $90 and be worth more than crypto in the near future I am afraid.
View Quote
This, if nothing else its a cheap oh shit investment.
Link Posted: 9/25/2021 1:56:09 PM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By exponentialpi:

That will kill disposable income for many. Which implodes everything.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By exponentialpi:
Originally Posted By Thunder900:
I predict $6-$10 gallon gasoline next summer with rationing and gas lines, just like the 70's. Some places will have $15+ in CONUS, Hawaii hitting close to $20!  Diseal will be close to $8, higher in CA, and did I mention Hawaii?

This will have an obvious cascade effect on food prices.

Rolling blackouts will also be the norm, so electric cars wont be a solution.

That will kill disposable income for many. Which implodes everything.

I think inflation and food costs will kill disposable income and the economy before that.

Covid restrictions/mandates/passports will get 20-30% of people to stop spending on dining, vacations and entertainment, that too will hurt.
Not to mention those forced out of their jobs by mandates.
Link Posted: 9/25/2021 2:30:19 PM EDT
[#9]

I am about to spring on a Berkey filter. I think the Royal for us.
View Quote

Those look nice, but they seem pretty pricey for such a simple device.

Maybe I'll order some activated charcoal and just ghetto up my own in house gravity filter

Speed
Link Posted: 9/25/2021 2:45:18 PM EDT
[#10]
Just got back from the store in Colorado. Everything was pretty full. A few specialty flavors of things were out of stock but there were no shortages. The paper isle was full and they had beef but it was expensive. Seemed pretty normal overall.
Link Posted: 9/25/2021 3:30:51 PM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By millfire517:
A pound of 80/20 hamburger is 5.99 here
View Quote

I buy organic 80/20 for 5.99. I buy regular for 3.99 and last weekend I bought a craptastic ton of regular for 1.99 a pound but that was a one time sale.
Link Posted: 9/25/2021 3:31:45 PM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By SFENDER:
Just got back from the store in Colorado. Everything was pretty full. A few specialty flavors of things were out of stock but there were no shortages. The paper isle was full and they had beef but it was expensive. Seemed pretty normal overall.
View Quote

Thanks for the report.

This is a strange time.  Everything is "normal", until it's not.  And that "Not" can happen suddenly, once the Karens start texting each other about what they read on social media.  Overnight, there will be shortages and lines and panic.  

It's tempting to say, "My stores are fine--those fuckers on the internet are just dooming again.  Just like they're calling for the stock market to collapse every Monday."  Cool.  You do you.  But watch the signs.  Just because you are good one day doesn't mean tomorrow won't be shitty.  

Something with a capital S is happening.  Prices are spiraling higher.  Just because you can find something with a coupon today, doesn't mean it's not happening.
Link Posted: 9/25/2021 3:35:57 PM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By speedbuggy16v:
View All Quotes

Laugh all you want. It will cost me about $90 and be worth more than crypto in the near future I am afraid.

Although salt is certainly a cheap commodity to bring in, the ultimate one for trading in a shtf situation is alcohol; something you're well positioned in.

Alcohol, tobacco, and coffee would be the big ones for me.
Link Posted: 9/25/2021 3:37:17 PM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By Possum-Sammich:

Thanks for the report.

This is a strange time.  Everything is "normal", until it's not.  And that "Not" can happen suddenly, once the Karens start texting each other about what they read on social media.  Overnight, there will be shortages and lines and panic.  

It's tempting to say, "My stores are fine--those fuckers on the internet are just dooming again.  Just like they're calling for the stock market to collapse every Monday."  Cool.  You do you.  But watch the signs.  Just because you are good one day doesn't mean tomorrow won't be shitty.  

Something with a capital S is happening.  Prices are spiraling higher.  Just because you can find something with a coupon today, doesn't mean it's not happening.
View Quote

Plus it is just the wise course of action to have some buffer anyway. If you can make do for a couple weeks or a month you have far more options even if SHTF for longer than your supplies, simply because you have more time to arrange alternative sources. In contrast if you only have a day's food at home then even small disruptions will screw you over.

This was once something that was generally understood because in primitive conditions if you don't prepare for the future you don't get to have a future. But we have had a few generations now of multiple layers of authority (from parents all the way up to the federal government) colluding to ensure the kids were as unprepared for the real world as possible.
Link Posted: 9/25/2021 3:48:10 PM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By kpacman:

Although salt is certainly a cheap commodity to bring in, the ultimate one for trading in a shtf situation is alcohol; something you're well positioned in.

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By kpacman:

Alcohol might be tradable for a short period, but then it would shift away to food as people started to starve.

If you do the Alcohol route, I would suggest something like Everclear as you can cut it with water to lower the percentage.
Link Posted: 9/25/2021 3:55:06 PM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By macman37:
If you take anything from my post, make it this: I just read an industry report that turkeys are likely going to be scarce this year. I suggest buying now or soon so you have it for Thanksgiving.
View Quote

If you want a fresh, small(ish) bird for up to six people then they will be scarce.  Frozen 20+ pound turkeys will be readily available, it's just not everyone wants to roast a huge bird.  I'll happily buy two of the big frozen ones at $.49/lb when they go on sale after Thanksgiving, drop them in the chest freezer, and make one in late Jan, the other in late Feb the following year.
Link Posted: 9/25/2021 4:00:46 PM EDT
[#17]
Back from Costco.

Three Rib Eyes = $72.50  

I walked away.

I paid $80 for an 18lb Brisket a year ago.
Link Posted: 9/25/2021 4:05:47 PM EDT
[#18]
Originally Posted By CVO:
I can only afford Spam.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/140585/spam_jpg-2104646.JPG
View Quote

That looks like a fine meal. No sarcasm involved.
Fry hat stuff with a bit of soy sauce and sugar.
Bomb dot com
Link Posted: 9/25/2021 4:14:30 PM EDT
[#19]
Top Sirloin at Costco yesterday was $17.99/lbs, Top Round $7.99, chicken breast $2.99
Link Posted: 9/25/2021 4:52:16 PM EDT
[#20]
Originally Posted By J_Von_Random:

Plus it is just the wise course of action to have some buffer anyway. If you can make do for a couple weeks or a month you have far more options even if SHTF for longer than your supplies, simply because you have more time to arrange alternative sources. In contrast if you only have a day's food at home then even small disruptions will screw you over.

This was once something that was generally understood because in primitive conditions if you don't prepare for the future you don't get to have a future. But we have had a few generations now of multiple layers of authority (from parents all the way up to the federal government) colluding to ensure the kids were as unprepared for the real world as possible.
View Quote

Exactly.  You can literally, for $50, have a month of food security.  It will be rice and beans and peas and lentils and a jug of oil, but it will supplement what you already have in your house.  

How many people out there are pissing and moaning right now because of the Russian ammo ban?  7.62x39 was so cheap for so many years.  We heard the threats.  Except they weren't threats--they fucking TOLD US what they were planning.  And so many ignored it, said it couldn't happen, said not to be defeatists and doomers.  Then litererally overnight, blasting ammo was gone or exhorbitant.  It doesn't matter if the ban is bullshit or that supplies will recover.  There is a shortage because of panic.  It's self-fulfilling.  You can blame hoarders and Biden and rage, but it doesn't change reality.  The world of ammo has changed.  What's the next change?  

In my view, you are failing in your duties as the head of the house if you do not have at least a few months of food and water for your family.  Make it happen before the panic.
Link Posted: 9/25/2021 4:57:04 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Canoeguy] [#21]

In my view, you are failing in your duties as the head of the house if you do not have at least a few months of food and water for your family.  Make it happen before the panic.
View Quote

Like I mentioned earlier I think it goes even beyond your household. If you are a fit and able bodied male in this country you have an obligation to be prepared to answer whatever call may come.

You can not do that if you can’t even take care of yourself and your family.

Guns, armor, ammo, night vision, and all the gear. Who gives a shit because you will be worthless to this Republic if you are starving.
Link Posted: 9/25/2021 5:21:36 PM EDT
[#22]
Went to Costco and Sams today with the family in tow.  (brave on a Saturday around here)

No limits on Costco paper products or water.  Saw no shortages of anything.

Prime brisket was $5.39/lb at both places.  Select was $4.38/lb

Steaks were typical, I find Costco and Sams to have good steaks, but they are priced pretty high.  5 years ago great looking choice filet was $14-$18/lb.  Now it is $21/lb but its been right around that for the past couple years.

Prime sirloin for $11/lb.  Most of the pricing was exactly the same as our local grocery stores, except for bacon.  Bacon in the stores is $8 to $9 /lb, while Costco bacon was still $4.68/lb.

Thought it was interesting - Folgers coffee is now cheaper than the Kirkland 100% Columbian brand.  .  I don't ever remember seeing that.
Link Posted: 9/25/2021 5:23:28 PM EDT
[#23]
Originally Posted By 999monkeys:
Let’s keep this simple.

Demand keeps going up. Supply keeps going down (from these mysterious “supply chain issues” and other unknown factors).

We’re experiencing shortages of a bunch of different stuff, especially food.

What if the shortages don’t get better—what if they get worse?

What if, a few months from now, you walk into a grocery store and it is completely empty, except for the Beyond Meat?

What if the buying turns into panic buying?
What if...people think we are going to run out of food?

That is the nightmare scenario I am proposing. Shortages become so pervasive that people can’t get food or essentials. Inflation spikes to 20 or 30%—or higher.

It's within the range of possibilities.

My first piece of advice to you is to go to the grocery store and buy as much food as you can carry.

The first rule of panicking is to panic before everyone else does.
Go and spend $1,000 on essentials and store them in your freezer or pantry. I don’t ordinarily do this. In spite of having a pretty big house, there is not a lot of space to store stuff. We will make it fit. We made a big grocery trip over the weekend, and we will make another one next weekend. We will keep doing this until the house is completely full.

I mean, worst case scenario is that this never comes to pass, and you have a house full of food, and you eat it down over time.

My second piece of advice to you is to...sell stocks.
I’m getting the sense that the stock market is starting to get concerned about inflation, especially Friday’s gaudy “Producer Price Index” (PPI) number—which is up 8.3% over the last 12 months.

(When producers pay more to produce, we pay more to consume.)

If we get double-digit inflation, the stock market is going to go down. For sure. We are past the “fun” part of inflation and on to the “bad” part.
And the amazing thing is that it didn’t take long. And you can guess, the government’s response to massive shortages is going to be monumentally stupid, and make it monumentally worse.

The sentiment implications of civil unrest at grocery stores are not nil. For now, we have shortages in specific goods, and abnormally high prices in other goods (like meat), but soon, we will reach the tipping point, and hoarding will ensue. Hoarding is a natural reaction to scarcity.

Stocks are going to come under serious pressure.
So over the course of the next week or two, we are going to substantially liquidate much of the portfolio, unless it specifically pertains to inflation, or is part of a firm, long-term thesis.

I’ve been bullish for a very long time, but no more. Time to turn the ship around. There’s plenty of liquidity (for now).

Here’s the thesis: If inflation spikes well past 10%, the Fed is going to be forced into doing something about it, because they will be embarrassed.
I have always said that the Fed will not hike rates until they are embarrassed. If we have inflation well into the double digits, it will be clear by then that it’s not transitory (which you and I have known for over a year now).

The timeline of rate hikes will be pushed up substantially—maybe even immediately—and we’ll be looking at a huge liquidity shock to the capital markets. I hesitate to use the word “crash,” but you get the picture.

This will play out over the next couple of months. I have a feeling that things are going to get very ugly.

Let’s put it this way. Inflation has entered the public consciousness. Everyone is aware of it. First, it was merely a nuisance, and now, it is getting to be a problem. Wait for the first grocery store to run out of meat. Or bread. Or produce. And it makes the news. Kind of like a run on the bank.

I always say you have to have a big imagination in this business. The economy is poorly functioning, with labor shortages and shortages of raw materials.

A healthy economy is not plagued with shortages and dysfunction. And the trend is toward more dysfunction.
I tangentially asked for some inflation anecdotes from all y’all (hey, we are in the South) and boy did you guys deliver. Some incredible stories. I can’t share them here, but let me just say that if you could see my inbox, you would have a lot more conviction on inflation. It is not stopping, it is not going away, and it is only going to get worse, and it has the potential to explode higher.

I’ve spent some time talking about stocks, but we have not yet discussed the implications for the bond market. Well, it’s hard to imagine that Treasuries will stand still with inflation approaching 20%. Stranger things have definitely happened, but the bond market seems vulnerable here to me.

And credit: Remember that financial market risk is determined by the volatility of inflation. I can see an environment in which spreads widen dramatically. If you’re making markets in corporate bonds, this would be a good time to keep things close to home, and not carry a lot of inventory.

Volatility will spike, to VIX 40 at least. We’ll be having 2% daily moves in the index, or more. I am generally not a fan of long volatility trades, like VXX or VIX futures or options, but now is as good a time as any. We are in a higher volatility regime than we were in 2017, and we will go to yet an even higher volatility regime.

I am an inflation bull, but I no longer believe that it will benefit the capital markets. We are past the fun part. The next part could end with rationing. And Americans really, really do not like rationing. We haven’t even discussed the new vaccine order, which will result in millions of people leaving their jobs on principle. You think labor shortages are bad now.

In case I wasn’t clear earlier—go to the grocery store and load up. Unlike the stock market, there are no consequences to being wrong.

View Quote

Wow! Well-written and informative and one of the 3% of GD who isn’t illiterate!
Link Posted: 9/25/2021 5:42:33 PM EDT
[#24]

Exactly.  You can literally, for $50, have a month of food security.  It will be rice and beans and peas and lentils and a jug of oil, but it will supplement what you already have in your house.  

How many people out there are pissing and moaning right now because of the Russian ammo ban?  7.62x39 was so cheap for so many years.  We heard the threats.  Except they weren't threats--they fucking TOLD US what they were planning.  And so many ignored it, said it couldn't happen, said not to be defeatists and doomers.  Then litererally overnight, blasting ammo was gone or exhorbitant.  It doesn't matter if the ban is bullshit or that supplies will recover.  There is a shortage because of panic.  It's self-fulfilling.  You can blame hoarders and Biden and rage, but it doesn't change reality.  The world of ammo has changed.  What's the next change?  

View Quote

"Hoarders" is one of those terms that instantly tells you the person speaking is a fool who doesn't understand anything whatsoever about how reality works. The people they whine about are in fact the single greatest force in reducing the length and severity of shortages.

As for preparation... well I've only recently got into a position when I *can* have backup supplies, so stumbling more or less in the right direction.
Link Posted: 9/25/2021 5:45:37 PM EDT
[#25]

You might be surprised how little canned meat is in the shelves. My mother found a couple cans down here but she couldn’t find any at all in Roanoke.
View All Quotes
I can only afford Spam.

You might be surprised how little canned meat is in the shelves. My mother found a couple cans down here but she couldn’t find any at all in Roanoke.

Spam has been one of the items that is hit or miss in my area for months now.
Link Posted: 9/25/2021 5:50:27 PM EDT
[#26]

"Hoarders" is one of those terms that instantly tells you the person speaking is a fool who doesn't understand anything whatsoever about how reality works. The people they whine about are in fact the single greatest force in reducing the length and severity of shortages.

As for preparation... well I've only recently got into a position when I *can* have backup supplies, so stumbling more or less in the right direction.
View Quote

Rice and beans. If you don’t like that then get beans and rice. Get as much as you can stocked as you can live on them. You won’t be happy, but you can live on them.  Absolute best bang for your buck.

Once you have a decent supply you can branch out.
Link Posted: 9/25/2021 5:58:07 PM EDT
[#27]

Rice and beans. If you don’t like that then get beans and rice. Get as much as you can stocked as you can live on them. You won’t be happy, but you can live on them.  Absolute best bang for your buck.

View All Quotes

I would suggest lentils instead of beans (less fuel to cook, doesn't need to be soaked, less gas produced ).

Or invest in candles....
Link Posted: 9/25/2021 6:05:22 PM EDT
[#28]

View Quote

I'm getting a r&b supply built up. It helps that I like beans and rice. It doesn't help that I'm trying to jumpstart about a dozen different aspects of How To Adult at the same time from minimal training.
Link Posted: 9/25/2021 6:28:07 PM EDT
[Last Edit: OODA_Loop] [#29]
No TP this morning at a Costco in Northern Virginia.

The Target nearby, where I went to get 9 volt batteries, had plenty. Grabbed a big pack of tp.

Realized I was starting to become a Soviet shopper. “This is in stock, I should grab it.  What size batteries does my Aimpoint take?”

Since before COVID, I would add one long-term storage item to the cart per trip. And it wasn’t nearly enough and was usually a canned food item.

Now? Alpha Strategy all the way.
Link Posted: 9/25/2021 6:28:36 PM EDT
[#30]
Originally Posted By Bubbles:

If you want a fresh, small(ish) bird for up to six people then they will be scarce.  Frozen 20+ pound turkeys will be readily available, it's just not everyone wants to roast a huge bird.  I'll happily buy two of the big frozen ones at $.49/lb when they go on sale after Thanksgiving, drop them in the chest freezer, and make one in late Jan, the other in late Feb the following year.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Bubbles:
Originally Posted By macman37:
If you take anything from my post, make it this: I just read an industry report that turkeys are likely going to be scarce this year. I suggest buying now or soon so you have it for Thanksgiving.

I usually do this but they never went down further than the normal "sale" of. 79 a lb last year.  Still not bad for what you hear, but not as good as norkal
Link Posted: 9/25/2021 7:40:30 PM EDT
[#31]
Wife said Sam's today was limiting TP to one pack per day. I told her to quit buying anyway as we have a three year supply but limited space to store more.

We bought $202 worth of canned and dry goods yesterday and didn't even fill the cart.

Link Posted: 9/25/2021 7:49:27 PM EDT
[#32]
Originally Posted By Pointman91:
Wife said Sam's today was limiting TP to one pack per day. I told her to quit buying anyway as we have a three year supply but limited space to store more.

We bought $202 worth of canned and dry goods yesterday and didn't even fill the cart.

View Quote

Your not kidding. We will be at $140-$150 and barely have two to three bags.
Link Posted: 9/25/2021 7:50:54 PM EDT
[#33]

View All Quotes

What the heck are you buying?
Link Posted: 9/25/2021 7:58:31 PM EDT
[#34]
Originally Posted By fxntime:

View Quote

Food and supplies. It doesn't take much to get there.
Link Posted: 9/25/2021 8:12:34 PM EDT
[#35]

View All Quotes

Our Costco run today was $300.

Wine is expensive.  
Link Posted: 9/25/2021 8:38:05 PM EDT
[#36]

View All Quotes

Chalk.
Link Posted: 9/25/2021 9:00:49 PM EDT
[#37]
Originally Posted By DeathHates:

Chalk.
View Quote

I am good on chalk but I do need slaked lime for water glassing eggs.
Link Posted: 9/25/2021 9:08:31 PM EDT
[#38]
Our trip to Costco was $375.00, plus gas. We use to be a couple with three small boys. They are all teenagers now,
and eat like, well, teenagers.
Link Posted: 9/25/2021 9:45:39 PM EDT
[#39]
Originally Posted By SeanC:

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By SeanC:
I can only afford Spam.

I have also noticed hormel can ham in short supply
Link Posted: 9/25/2021 9:54:01 PM EDT
[#40]

View Quote

Salt?

There is an ocean full of it. They have been drying sea salt for thousands of years...
Link Posted: 9/25/2021 9:58:07 PM EDT
[#41]

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By DeathHates:

Chalk.

DenaturedPopcornHoofs.com is running a HUGE sale.
Link Posted: 9/25/2021 10:07:25 PM EDT
[#42]
Originally Posted By Spartikis:

Salt?

There is an ocean full of it. They have been drying sea salt for thousands of years...
View Quote

To which I would say I am 8-9 hours from the sea. As well very little salt on tables is from the sea.
Link Posted: 9/25/2021 10:07:36 PM EDT
[#43]

Speed
View Quote

Big Berkeley is what you seek.  I recommend getting a stand, and water level kit with it as well.
Link Posted: 9/25/2021 10:55:26 PM EDT
[#44]
Originally Posted By BrownNgold:

If you can even get fertilizer, in my opinion the 3 or 4 major producers of fertilizer colude more than the meat packers
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By BrownNgold:
Originally Posted By GoldenMead:
Here’s my take as a farmer on the subject.

We are not getting more money for our cattle.  Meat packaging plants are making record profits.  So the meat plants and distributors are causing 99% of the price increases.

Fertilizer costs have skyrocketed. Next year fertilizer costs are going to be 40-50% more than this last year.  Corn and soybeans will cost more to grow.

Number of cattle in the country is decreasing thanks to the drought in the west. Next year it’s predicted that our overall numbers will continue to decrease. This hopefully means farmers will get paid more per head and unfortunately the consumer will pay more.

We are exporting a ridiculous amount of our grain.  Look up and see how much the Chinese have imported this year compared to last year. You’ll be shocked.  Here in my region there is a corn shortage.  I sold corn this week for $1.10 a bushel more than what it’s trading at in Chicago that’s insane.

We get calls daily asking if we have any finished steers to sell to local people.  The butcher shops near us are booked out 18 months!  

Next year there will be shortages. Prices will go up a lot more.  

If you can start growing and raising your own food. If you can’t buy from a local farmer.

If you can even get fertilizer, in my opinion the 3 or 4 major producers of fertilizer colude more than the meat packers

That’s one of the best benefits of regenerative ag: zero reliance on commercially produced fertilizers. If you’re not stripping the soil down to nothing, eliminating all native bacteria and fungi as well as most of the nutrients, you don’t need to dump a bunch of chemicals back onto your ground.
Link Posted: 9/26/2021 5:06:16 AM EDT
[#45]

Like I mentioned earlier I think it goes even beyond your household. If you are a fit and able bodied male in this country you have an obligation to be prepared to answer whatever call may come.

You can not do that if you can't even take care of yourself and your family.

Guns, armor, ammo, night vision, and all the gear. Who gives a shit because you will be worthless to this Republic if you are starving.
View Quote

I've said that 100909999990000 times.
You gotta eat more than your gonna shoot.
Having 87 lowers and 87k rounds doesn't mean shit.

Though..I will trade 1lb of red wheat and 1 lb of pinto beans for 800 rds of 556 and 1 complete lower.

Well armed and starving....you just another thread to deal with.
Link Posted: 9/26/2021 5:07:48 AM EDT
[#46]

Those look nice, but they seem pretty pricey for such a simple device.

Maybe I'll order some activated charcoal and just ghetto up my own in house gravity filter

Speed
View Quote

Katadyn ceradyn.
Or buy your own filters and build one.
Lotta threads in the survival forum on it.
Link Posted: 9/26/2021 7:55:37 AM EDT
[#47]
Ground beef that is 83 / 17 is on sale for $2.99 a Lb. limit 2 per customer
Link Posted: 9/26/2021 7:59:46 AM EDT
[#48]
Originally Posted By jollyg83:
I lost several hundred dollars of meat because someone didn’t close the freezer all the way.  I’m pissed.
View Quote

I did that with fish one time.  I unplugged the freezer because I needed the outlet and forgot to plug it back in.

Make sure you have a generator to survive a power outage.
Link Posted: 9/26/2021 8:14:12 AM EDT
[#49]

You were one of the kids who helped the school get additional funding weren't you?
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By HappyLife_NoWife:

I need that photo of the bed with all the chicken tenders on it for this one.
worries about panic buying. Suggests people engage in panic buying/neckbearding food. Brilliant!

@Naamah got it right.
Butcher/slaughter your own...
Give(sell) a man a fish(beef pork chicken) vs teach a man to fish (hunt, butcher/slaughter)

You were one of the kids who helped the school get additional funding weren't you?

LOL
Link Posted: 9/26/2021 9:10:27 AM EDT
[#50]
Originally Posted By jake23l:
I do quite a bit of our families grocery shopping.  Prices here have been steadily increasing but nothing crazy.  Good sales on meat are getting really hard to find.  But at least shelves are all well stocked and have been for a while now.  I'm in the outskirts of KC.

Scored a few of these at price chopper last month to set back.

Shop deals, buy cheap and stack deep.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/146744/20210806_090612_jpg-2101466.JPG
View Quote

@jake23l

Would you stay out of my grocery stores. Your causing a meat panic when you go in buying everything up.
Page / 87
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top