Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 34
Link Posted: 10/14/2021 5:55:23 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History

Bears watching if they don't shift the feed around drastically.
Link Posted: 10/14/2021 6:04:25 PM EDT
[#2]
Totally quiet now, especially up top. This spot looks worth watching too! (center of 2nd pic)
Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 10/14/2021 6:16:24 PM EDT
[#3]

I would absolutely love to train a wide-bandwidth thermal imager and a fluoroscope on that hillside.
Link Posted: 10/14/2021 9:18:37 PM EDT
[#4]
In the last couple of days, there has been 80mm of uplift recorded at station LP03, on the downslope side of the active vent series.

And then you have this:

Harmonic tremor - 18Hz line. Indicates magma movement in the plumbing.

Coupled with an increase in volcanic tremor strength,  I think we'll soon see additional activity. Possibly west of the current vent complex. If a quake of Mag 5 occurs anywhere near the surface given this dynamic, things will likely open up.
Link Posted: 10/14/2021 9:27:58 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
In the last couple of days, there has been 80mm of uplift recorded at station LP03, on the downslope side of the active vent series.

And then you have this:

https://archive.volcanodiscovery.com/images/733/latest.jpg?r=1634260179291

Coupled with an increase in volcanic tremor strength,  I think we'll soon see additional activity. Possibly west of the current vent complex. If a quake of Mag 5 occurs anywhere near the surface given this dynamic, things will likely open up.
View Quote

So you're saying there's a chance?

Or is it something that normally can happen?
Link Posted: 10/14/2021 9:38:27 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

And then you have this:

https://archive.volcanodiscovery.com/images/733/latest.jpg?r=1634260179291

For the western flank to collapse? At some future point, but unlikely at present.

What's in question is the capacity of the existing vent system to deal with a greater influx of magma. The fact that uplift is occurring indicates it's not being erupted as fast as it's being supplied. Get enough uplift in a brittle area (say, at the 2-3km depth) and it'll cause the cap rock to fail, resulting in an earthquake and fissuring. That means new vents.
Link Posted: 10/14/2021 10:10:23 PM EDT
[#7]
Does this now have three vents we’re seeing? The large main one, the jet-spewing one behind it, and a more sedate lava pumping vent up front that’s providing the down slope lava?

Link Posted: 10/14/2021 10:56:09 PM EDT
[#8]
I've been told by a friend in hawaii that you really start paying attention when the vents aren't releasing magma but are still releasing gases (or otherwise showing signs of building pressure) ... or when the vent collapses (read: lava possibly going elsewhere).
Link Posted: 10/14/2021 11:07:46 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I've been told by a friend in hawaii that you really start paying attention when the vents aren't releasing magma but are still releasing gases (or otherwise showing signs of building pressure) ... or when the vent collapses (read: lava possibly going elsewhere).
View Quote

That would be correct.

Outgassing is a precursor to an eruption, which is one reason why collections are done any time you see other tell-tale signs of magmatic activity.

If the vents close and gas emissions are still occurring but no material is being erupted, you're getting into some high pressure levels. Something will give.
Link Posted: 10/15/2021 12:52:39 AM EDT
[#10]
I find it interesting that almost every night around midnight-1am Central this thing seems to kick it up a few notches for a little while.  Good sleepy time entertainment.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 10/15/2021 1:02:20 AM EDT
[#11]
It's angry tonight. The uppermost vent has been like a jet engine. The middle vent has has some huge eruptions in the last hour. And that lower vent is just pumping hot lave everywhere.
Link Posted: 10/15/2021 1:42:33 AM EDT
[#12]
Is it forming the Devils pitchfork?

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 10/15/2021 8:42:37 AM EDT
[#13]

Neptune's trident.

Gotta cool for a while before use, tho.
Link Posted: 10/15/2021 8:44:43 AM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 10/15/2021 9:58:50 AM EDT
[#15]

Reminiscent of Paricutin, in Mexico. That's what got me interested in this stuff as a youth.

ETA:

Link Posted: 10/15/2021 10:33:53 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Reminiscent of Paricutin, in Mexico. That's what got me interested in this stuff as a youth.

ETA:

http://lh4.ggpht.com/-YHXwk2Lu2TY/U_ShWu-lHWI/AAAAAAAA1bc/ve_YaSIkbqk/paricutin-volcano-9%25255B9%25255D.jpg?imgmax=800
View Quote

What year was that?
Link Posted: 10/15/2021 10:44:14 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

What year was that?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

ETA:

http://lh4.ggpht.com/-YHXwk2Lu2TY/U_ShWu-lHWI/AAAAAAAA1bc/ve_YaSIkbqk/paricutin-volcano-9%25255B9%25255D.jpg?imgmax=800

What year was that?

Eruption started in 1943 and went until 1952. Not sure when that photo was taken.

Wiki entry on the cone
Link Posted: 10/15/2021 3:05:50 PM EDT
[#18]
GeologyHub: La Palma Eruption Update; New Evacuations, Large Earthquake

La Palma Eruption Update; New Evacuations, Large Earthquake

"The La Palma / Cumbre Vieja eruption is now in its 27th day. So far, more than 6 square kilometers have been covered with lava, and 40 hectares of new land have been added to the island. On October 13th, the largest earthquake during the overall eruption occurred, rating as a 4.5 on the richter scale. Additionally, in recent days, more people have been evacuated as the lava flows split into two new branches. This video will discuss what is likely to happen next as this Spanish Canary Island volcano."
Link Posted: 10/15/2021 3:09:46 PM EDT
[#19]
Bushcraft Bear: Strongest Earthquake & Lava-Tsunami: Be careful now! The volcanic eruption surprised even scientists (Oct 15, 2021)

Link Posted: 10/15/2021 6:42:12 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 10/15/2021 6:56:11 PM EDT
[#21]
goddamn. they weren't kidding when they said Lava Tsunami.
Link Posted: 10/15/2021 7:11:41 PM EDT
[#22]
Seems quite tonight.

Link Posted: 10/15/2021 8:27:10 PM EDT
[#23]
Lava flow this AM was amazing.

I just saw this:

I have no idea if this has been corroborated by others or if the guy's a kook, but being "directly connected to a mantle plume" seems sporty.
Link Posted: 10/15/2021 8:52:32 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Did we do the lava tsunami? Just look at that new real estate flow....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rubcGIZlPR0
View Quote

It’s really stepped up in the last few hours. When I was watching the stream at lunch it was nothing like this.
Link Posted: 10/15/2021 9:44:24 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

I just saw this:

I have no idea if this has been corroborated by others or if the guy's a kook, but being "directly connected to a mantle plume" seems sporty.
View Quote

The magmatic system of the Canaries is a hybrid of plume, subduction zone and linear fault series. A quake at that depth indicates a plume head impingement is ongoing or is imminent. See Phase 2 of the graphic below.

ETA:

This is a depiction of a pure plume-driven hotspot. The Canary Island chain is near enough to the African plate that subduction zone magmatism has an influence on the system.

ETA 2:

First impression is that the quoted source is weapons-grade whackadoodle but the basic geology is pretty close. I'd like to know where that epicenter depth figure came from, though.
Link Posted: 10/15/2021 10:58:38 PM EDT
[#26]
Here's another good plume graphic:

Note the curly areas at the bottom. You've seen these at the lower part of a mushroom cloud. That's known as a Rayleigh-Taylor Instability, and is the mechanism whereby crustal melt is entrained in the plume and subsequently erupted.
Link Posted: 10/15/2021 11:01:52 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

I just saw this:

View Quote

A mantle plume would put a lot of smoke in the sky.  Wouldn’t that lower the global temp for a while?

I seem to recall a long winter when Vesuvius went.
Link Posted: 10/15/2021 11:08:23 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

A mantle plume would put a lot of smoke in the sky.  Wouldn’t that lower the global temp for a while?

I seem to recall a long winter when Vesuvius went.
View Quote

Vesuvius was not a plume driven eruption. Subduction Zone. Explosive rather than effusive. Lots of ash, whereas the La Palma ash output is lower for the amount of material being erupted.

A large igneous province scale eruption (think Siberian or Deccan Traps) would put a gigantic amount of SO2 into the atmosphere but it would take centuries to do so. You'd see a degree or two yearly potential drop, which would be vastly offset by the greenhouse effect of the erupted CO2.

ETA:

You want global warming?

Because this is how you get global warming...
Link Posted: 10/15/2021 11:54:24 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

ETA 2:

First impression is that the quoted source is weapons-grade whackadoodle but the basic geology is pretty close. I'd like to know where that epicenter depth figure came from, though.
View Quote

https://www.emsc-csem.org/Earthquake/earthquake.php?id=1048763
Link Posted: 10/16/2021 12:07:33 AM EDT
[#30]
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

ETA 2:

Is the deep one listed there? Most of them I'm seeing are down to 40km.
Link Posted: 10/16/2021 12:08:20 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

Vesuvius was not a plume driven eruption. Subduction Zone. Explosive rather than effusive. Lots of ash, whereas the La Palma ash output is lower for the amount of material being erupted.

A large igneous province scale eruption (think Siberian or Deccan Traps) would put a gigantic amount of SO2 into the atmosphere but it would take centuries to do so. You'd see a degree or two yearly potential drop, which would be vastly offset by the greenhouse effect of the erupted CO2.

ETA:

You want global warming?

View Quote

Siberia traps would be about the worst thing possible
Link Posted: 10/16/2021 12:11:55 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

ETA:

You want global warming?

CAMP was larger by a factor of at least two.
Link Posted: 10/16/2021 12:14:00 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

ETA 2:

That link should take you to the specific page for that earthquake.
Link Posted: 10/16/2021 12:25:26 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

ETA 2:

Dumps me to an index page. Will try from a different browser later.
Link Posted: 10/16/2021 12:27:43 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

View Quote

Either one sounds bad enough for me
Link Posted: 10/16/2021 12:53:23 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

There's a theory about antipodal bolide impacts triggering flood basalt volcanism. Siberian is thought to be connected to the Wilkes Land Impact (Antarctica) while the Deccan is postulated as being triggered by Chicxulub. Remnant crater associated with an antipodal impactor for CAMP has yet to be identified if one exists.
Link Posted: 10/16/2021 8:18:19 AM EDT
[#37]
Was there a large outpouring of lava over the course of yesterday?

LP03 U channel data shows a 70+ mm drop in elevation for the 24h period starting from 00Z on 15-OCT, and LP04 is down around 20mm.

Also noted a recent (12h) earthquake swarm in the upper chamber. Some were of pretty decent amplitude.
Link Posted: 10/16/2021 8:29:32 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

There's a theory about antipodal bolide impacts triggering flood basalt volcanism. Siberian is thought to be connected to the Wilkes Land Impact (Antarctica) while the Deccan is postulated as being triggered by Chicxulub. Remnant crater associated with an antipodal impactor for CAMP has yet to be identified if one exists.
View Quote

You just gotta hate those antipodal bolide impacts.
Link Posted: 10/16/2021 8:31:07 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Especially when they're of high enough mass. Almost like putting beans in chili...
Link Posted: 10/16/2021 9:08:08 AM EDT
[#40]
Speaking of LIPs, CAMP and related things:

You Joisey boys are probably familiar with this -

The significance is that its other half (chemically) is in Morocco. That got a few geologists and scientists puzzling way back when and was one of the bolsters of plate tectonics/continental drift theories.
Link Posted: 10/16/2021 12:47:32 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

ETA 2:

Checked it this AM...is listed as 35km depth, not 331.

But Wait! There's Morons!

Looked at the Twitter link for more information and it appears someone bit-bucketed the thing...Given the author, I wonder why...
Link Posted: 10/16/2021 1:03:33 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

https://cdn.britannica.com/41/145841-050-B7CE5AF4/Palisades-Hudson-River-New-York.jpg

The significance is that its other half (chemically) is in Morocco. That got a few geologists and scientists puzzling way back when and was one of the bolsters of plate tectonics/continental drift theories.
View Quote

GTFO! First time I heard this. Makes me wonder whether a massive impact (like the one that hit the Yucatán) was strong enough to cause land masses to shift and move across the planets surface the way the ice would shift if you dropped a bowling ball into a swimming pool in winter with a few inches of ice on top of the water…
Link Posted: 10/16/2021 1:43:52 PM EDT
[#43]
In before the big boom
Link Posted: 10/16/2021 1:45:57 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

GTFO! First time I heard this. Makes me wonder whether a massive impact (like the one that hit the Yucatán) was strong enough to cause land masses to shift and move across the planets surface the way the ice would shift if you dropped a bowling ball into a swimming pool in winter with a few inches of ice on top of the water…
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

https://cdn.britannica.com/41/145841-050-B7CE5AF4/Palisades-Hudson-River-New-York.jpg

It's still the subject of debate (much like Alvarez et al vs. others whose K-T extinction trigger theories are at loggerheads) but here's a good starting point:

Antipodal Hotspot Formation

In one of the Traps links I posted, it's noted that a bolide of over 10km in diameter and moving at a speed typical for the random asteroid would generate Mag 12 quakes at the point of impact. In other words, just a little less energy than a 10mm Mag round at the muzzle - but that's an argument for one of those shooty threads.

Computer models have shown there would be a non-trivial ground wave amplification effect at the antipodal point. Combine with a relatively thin crust and plume generation/flood basalt eruptive initiation is a possibility, though not absolutely proven to date. There's the matter of timelines...how long afterwards would a magmatic pulse reach the surface? Long enough so that cause may not be accurately related to effect?

Should I ever cross paths with Rampino (in real life or online) I'm going to make it a point to discuss the theory at length with him and see what the modern day consensus is.
Link Posted: 10/16/2021 4:55:42 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I can't get my head around plate tectonics. It seems more likely that the planet expanded from the core, the crust cracked up as it continued to grow and things wound up where they are when the expansion was done.
Link Posted: 10/16/2021 7:41:37 PM EDT
[#46]
First time I’ve had a chance to look this evening and it looks like things have really heated up!
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 10/16/2021 8:07:35 PM EDT
[#47]
I had just clicked on about the same time and was coming to post the same.  It's pretty damn active tonight!
Link Posted: 10/16/2021 8:15:49 PM EDT
[#48]
The feed I'm watching currently is listing the earthquakes strength and depth on the bottom scroller.

Link Posted: 10/16/2021 8:19:16 PM EDT
[#49]
Link Posted: 10/16/2021 8:56:39 PM EDT
[#50]
It's really going right now.

Attachment Attached File

Page / 34
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top