Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 231
Link Posted: 9/14/2021 9:02:47 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Yeah that caught my eye as well. Did he allegedly leave the van with her?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
The story says that the van was "recovered". Recovered from Florida? Recovered from the end of some dirt road in Wyoming? Recovered at the airport?

Not a hell of a lot of information in that story.

Yeah that caught my eye as well. Did he allegedly leave the van with her?

Another article said that the van was recovered at the home her and her fiance shared in North Port, Florida.

Link Posted: 9/14/2021 9:10:08 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 9/14/2021 9:25:36 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 9/14/2021 9:26:29 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 9/14/2021 9:29:30 AM EDT
[#5]
Well, at least they have a gofundme.  

Link Posted: 9/14/2021 9:31:45 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I read this news story earlier.  Sad, she was a pretty young lady and wanted to go on an adventure while she was young with no responsibilities and now she's missing with a 99 100% chance of being dead.
View Quote

Fixed that.  She's absolutely dead.
Link Posted: 9/14/2021 9:32:45 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Well, at least they have a gofundme.  

View Quote

I noticed that. Almost $30k. I suppose if they're hiring private investigators and paying volunteer searchers travel and food expenses it's not that big a deal, but the cynic in me says that money is not gonna be used for any application involving finding her.
Link Posted: 9/14/2021 9:34:59 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

And chances of "oh, my GF just disappeared, so I drove back home. without contacting anyone but a lawyer" happening is almost zero.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Yeah it's pretty easy to say he killed her. But who knows, she could have had mental health or substance abuse issues and have separated from him for some irrational reason. Once she's on her own voluntarily half way across the country and maybe in a remote area it's not that improbable that she was victimized by a third party or died through some accident.

There's no reason to think this of her, but if you know people who have mental health  or drug issues they break or lose Cel phone s all the time, whether accidentally or maybe subconsciously on purpose. Their phones are also routinely shut off for nonpayment

The cops also have his texts and social
media account info. So they'll see
if he was texting any buddies or family and what texts/IMs calls were made after she lost contact

And chances of "oh, my GF just disappeared, so I drove back home. without contacting anyone but a lawyer" happening is almost zero.

True.

I did ditch a woman I had been dating for a few months during a trip to another state. Weekend trip for her friends wedding. She did something disrespectful. I left the reception early. Went back to the hotel and packed my stuff. Got my own room for the night and flew home alone the next morning.   She texted me for months asking for another chance.
Link Posted: 9/14/2021 9:40:40 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
"b/f lawyers up in Florida" because that's where he and "Long Island woman" lived for the past two and a half years.  Who writes these headlines?    

View Quote
Sounds like the boyfriend actually listened to the people who said not to talk to the cops.

Whether or not he did it, if he keeps his trap shut he will likely remain free.  Unless the girl's father decides there is enough evidence that the police aren't acting on, in which case the boyfriend had better be taking advantage of conceal carry or he is likely to find out that sharks like a piece of bloody meat.
Link Posted: 9/14/2021 9:40:54 AM EDT
[#10]
Lawyering up is a bad sign

Moolah is involved
Link Posted: 9/14/2021 9:50:44 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 9/14/2021 9:56:52 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
She's dead Jim.
View Quote

And BF did it.
Link Posted: 9/14/2021 9:59:39 AM EDT
[#13]
In before a dozen true crime podcasts get released.
Link Posted: 9/14/2021 10:38:43 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
OD'ed, BF panicked.

"Free spirit.''
View Quote

That was high on my list of possibilities.  

OD’d on some crap he scored.   She died and he hid the body.  

Or they had an argument and he choked her, beat her or stabbed her to death.
Link Posted: 9/14/2021 10:44:54 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Right?  

Part of the fun of the trips into the mountains and into the Yellowstone area is the fact that the phone is silent.  Even firing up the booster would not do much more than give me a single bar or two of 1x.  
View Quote

Yup, I was in Yellowstone ad Tetons in 2020, and rather enjoyed my 'forced' week of Unplugged-ness.  Even in the touristy areas with building and such, not enough solid signal to do much other than maybe bounce a text out.
Link Posted: 9/14/2021 10:47:38 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
If a dozer operator can point it out how good a spot is it?
View Quote

locals know all the good spots and/or where bodies have disappeared before.

Link Posted: 9/14/2021 10:47:51 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
I don't bother with their lame headlines. I like to make up my own stories
View Quote

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 9/14/2021 10:49:16 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

You just have to be shameless.  I thought you were a lawyer.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Yeah I don't get that part.

You just have to be shameless.  I thought you were a lawyer.

Ha, Ha, Ha,his new name........

SHAIMELESS!

Link Posted: 9/14/2021 10:58:12 AM EDT
[#19]
View Quote

It's where Rip dumps the bodies in the show Yellowstone.
Link Posted: 9/14/2021 10:59:13 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Lucky them.  We had one guy who stiffed his dealer for something like $140.  Dealer killed him and dumped the cadaver on the county road.  Now we have to put up with a never ending memorial from his friends/family.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

i used to spend a lot of time in eastern WY for pipeline work.

lots of bodies get dumped in those parts from drug deals gone bad in denver.

dozer operator was pointing out all the good hiding spots to me as we were driving around aimlessly.

Lucky them.  We had one guy who stiffed his dealer for something like $140.  Dealer killed him and dumped the cadaver on the county road.  Now we have to put up with a never ending memorial from his friends/family.

We had a local doper low life break up with his gf so he hung himself on state wildlife management lands.   His friends deeply carved quite largely a memorial to the pipe friend on up a 200-300 year old giant oak tree.  like 3 foot by three foot carving an inch deep way paste the bark.  Not even the right tree.

I get sick of seeing people make homemade personal memorials on public or trespassing on private lands.
Link Posted: 9/14/2021 11:03:47 AM EDT
[#21]
Young cute missing blonde girl. Can't wait for the upcoming 24/7 coverage.

I'm sure Nancy Grace already has her hooks in the story and is milking out every last drop of drama since it hits all of her check marks.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Missing_white_woman_syndrome

The tendency of the news media to focus strongly on kidnap, rape or murder victims that are young, attractive, female and white while ignoring any similar victim that does not meet all four criteria. A notable example is the media focus on Jessica Lynch when her black squadmate Shoshana Johnson received no attention whatsoever. Nancy Grace is a prime perpetrator of the bias.
View Quote
Link Posted: 9/14/2021 11:07:22 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Question for the LE and lawyer types here at ARFCOM:

Did you formulate your "the boyfriend did it" based upon pattern recognition (he was her fiance, last known person with her, etc?) or did you look at his photo, or what do you base your opinion upon?

FWIW, I read the story and thought, "yeah, he did it", too
View Quote

Explore most likely avenues first in parallel or conjunction to where the evidence and facts lead you.  

87% of the time most likely possibility is correct but there is that small percent.  BTDT you often can find a lot of suspicious activity, often criminal activity but it can be separate and independent from the crime you are looking at.  

More than once the facts have initially mislead me to the wrong but normal path but digging changed the conclusion direction.  Sometimes the initial suspected party know all the facts point at them but are innocent.  When they are cleared they are relieved and understanding in my line of work.  Likely not so when you are talking homicide of a family member or loved one.
Link Posted: 9/14/2021 11:11:28 AM EDT
[#23]
The boyfriends actions sound highly suspect. Girl goes missing and he drivers all the way back to Florida and gets a lawyer? He makes no reports of her missing, ect? he did it or knows what happened to her.
Link Posted: 9/14/2021 11:13:48 AM EDT
[#24]
About 95% of kidnap victims are killed in the first 12 hours.
Link Posted: 9/14/2021 11:21:37 AM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 9/14/2021 11:36:29 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

"I got tired of her shit officer and dropped her off at John's Gas and Bait off Highway 16. Go check the surveillance footage you'll see me doing so" See how hard that was?

I get folks playing devils' advocate, I really do. . . but at this point I'll go out on a limb in that we all know he killed her, drove back to FL, lawyered up, and isn't talking to the cops, because that's absolutely the correct thing to do when your murder your SO on a cross country road trip

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

As much as I would want to say something, I would still keep my mouth shut.

What benefit would you see coming from speaking up? You would make yourself the last known person to see her alive.

"I got tired of her shit officer and dropped her off at John's Gas and Bait off Highway 16. Go check the surveillance footage you'll see me doing so" See how hard that was?

I get folks playing devils' advocate, I really do. . . but at this point I'll go out on a limb in that we all know he killed her, drove back to FL, lawyered up, and isn't talking to the cops, because that's absolutely the correct thing to do when your murder your SO on a cross country road trip

Then you have to just hope that there is surveillance footage at John's Gas and Bait, that the footage is clear, that the footage isn't of you two fighting, AND that you can prove you never saw her again after that footage was recorded. People always overestimate surveillance footage. You gotta remember this didn't take place in a busy city, it was out in the middle of nowhere.

Look, if I had to bet all the money in my wallet, I would bet that he did it. But whether he did it or not, I can't see any benefit to going out of his way to make himself the last known person to see her alive. And it sounds like his legal team thinks that way too.
Link Posted: 9/14/2021 11:47:48 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
About 95% of kidnap victims are killed in the first 12 hours.
View Quote

The remaining 5 percent rub the lotion on its skin or it gets the hose again.

Well just saying.
Link Posted: 9/14/2021 11:51:02 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

View Quote

But what if he drove back home and then she disappeared? Then it makes sense that he didn't contact anyone. Why would he contact anyone if he just thinks she ran off with someone else?

I'm not saying he didn't do it, I'm just saying that there are some very reasonable situations where he could have left her and had nothing to do with her going missing.
Link Posted: 9/14/2021 11:55:58 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
View Quote

Lawyering up is absolutely NOT a bad sign.

That's just what the Police want you to think.

"Lawyering up" is what everyone should do when you are being challenged by the legal system.
Link Posted: 9/14/2021 12:21:30 PM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 9/14/2021 1:32:33 PM EDT
[#31]
Haven't seen her.  Probably wouldn't have even know if I did.
Link Posted: 9/14/2021 3:14:48 PM EDT
[#32]
Cops seized his van.

If your girlfriend goes missing the cops will take your car.
Link Posted: 9/14/2021 3:30:08 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Cops seized his van.

View Quote

You are the last known person to have transported a missing person.... yeah... probably they will.  Best not kill her in that.
Link Posted: 9/14/2021 3:36:25 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Cops seized his van.

View Quote
That sucks.  It was probably a really sweet van.
Link Posted: 9/14/2021 3:40:15 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

If your SO died while you were on a cross country road trip you think you'd be more helpful than driving to the other side of the country, lawyering up, and not talking to cops lol

Like you know, maybe call the parents and tell them what happened?
View Quote

He may not know that she died. She may have left him at some point. Either way, in this situation I totally understand him speaking to no one.
Link Posted: 9/14/2021 3:47:04 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

You are the last known person to have transported a missing person.... yeah... probably they will.  Best not kill her in that.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Cops seized his van.

They will probably search his house and take his guns next.

Not because someone died. Not because they have evidence he killed her. Simply because they dated and her mom doesn’t know where she is.

Link Posted: 9/14/2021 3:48:05 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

He may not know that she died. She may have left him at some point. Either way, in this situation I totally understand him speaking to no one.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

If your SO died while you were on a cross country road trip you think you'd be more helpful than driving to the other side of the country, lawyering up, and not talking to cops lol

Like you know, maybe call the parents and tell them what happened?

The ever find the people who “kidnapped” Supermom?
Link Posted: 9/14/2021 4:02:58 PM EDT
[#38]
From an investigative standpoint, the first step would be figuring out jurisdiction, and that sounds likely WY, but could conceivably be elsewhere.

Cell phone records need to be subpoena'd ASAP, and then use that to try to narrow down a timeframe and location they diverge from.

Surveillance cameras typically only store for a few weeks at most. Clock ticking...with such a wide net, striking fast is vital. But quite likely too late.
Link Posted: 9/14/2021 4:09:44 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

"Lawyering up" is what everyone should do when you are being challenged by the legal system.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Absolutely. Just one mis-worded phrase or statement and that will be the ONLY thing the investigator will latch onto even if you gave him 1000 other pieces of evidence exonerating yourself.
Link Posted: 9/14/2021 4:12:43 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Maybe someone read that arcane law review article about “the perfect crime” which is a murder in some tiny sliver of Yellowstone where there is no jurisdiction to prosecute.
View Quote

The Train Station
Link Posted: 9/14/2021 4:19:50 PM EDT
[#41]
Link Posted: 9/14/2021 4:20:43 PM EDT
[#42]
Link Posted: 9/14/2021 4:20:44 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

Absolutely. Just one mis-worded phrase or statement and that will be the ONLY thing the investigator will latch onto even if you gave him 1000 other pieces of evidence exonerating yourself.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Hell, even the Police don't talk to the Police without a Union Rep or a lawyer present.

Why the hell would any of you do it??
Link Posted: 9/14/2021 4:21:36 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
never mind, statement is a big nothing
View Quote

Shameless bump.

I expected more from you, Aimless
Link Posted: 9/14/2021 4:24:15 PM EDT
[#45]
Link Posted: 9/14/2021 4:29:16 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
I'm guessing she died or wandered off when they were doing some shrooms or acid in the park and he freaked out and left.

Or they had a fight and he legit left and then she did disappear but that seems less likely with a couple on a long road trip like that.
View Quote

I read that exact comment about shrooms on 4chan!

Not the worst theory
Link Posted: 9/14/2021 4:34:59 PM EDT
[#47]
Missing on Cross USA National Park trip, Where is Gabby Petito? 9/11/21
Link Posted: 9/14/2021 4:47:18 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yup. If he tells the police that the last time he saw her was Tuesday but then remembers it was actually Monday they will never let up.  

If he just dropped her off and drove away he won’t have any way to exonerate himself.  Innocent or guilty, he would be a fool to talk to the police.
Link Posted: 9/14/2021 4:52:35 PM EDT
[#49]
Interesting.

I'm betting either they got into an argument and either she walked off or he said "later". Or she overdosed and he freaked out.

or

She was like "I'm pregnant"
Link Posted: 9/14/2021 4:52:35 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Lower your expectations!
View Quote

I'm not sure that's possible.

Page / 231
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top