Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/24/2001 3:12:35 PM EDT
I got me 2 mini-14's one I'm pretty sure is pre-ban (bought it in 1990 used). I just picked up another one at a gun show. How do I know which if either is pre-ban?
Link Posted: 5/24/2001 3:18:10 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 5/24/2001 3:19:15 PM EDT
[#2]
from Ruger.........

To check the date of manufacture of a firearm. (Please have the serial number of the firearm ready before you call.) RECORDS DEPARTMENT
(603) 863-3300
8-4:30 Mon. - Fri ET
Link Posted: 5/24/2001 3:19:52 PM EDT
[#3]
I doubt that a Mini-14 was ever unassembled, and made it out of the factory. OTOH, it's unlikely that you can prove that they were they were ever assembled in a GB type config.

Ruger can confirm the manufacture dates, call:

RECORDS DEPARTMENT
(603) 863-3300
8-4:30 Mon. - Fri ET

Juggernaut[%(]
Link Posted: 5/24/2001 3:34:00 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
I got me 2 mini-14's one I'm pretty sure is pre-ban (bought it in 1990 used). I just picked up another one at a gun show. How do I know which if either is pre-ban?
View Quote

This is a real heated subject.
If the mini in question is not a GB(factory flash hider, folding stock & bayonet lug) then you dont have a pre ban. the date it was made is not even a factor because the mini was not subject to the 94 ban. If you add any of those banned items you are creating a new assult weapon.

you will find people on this board who will tell you otherwise. but you are the one who is taking the risk.
Link Posted: 5/24/2001 3:49:43 PM EDT
[#5]
mini14world.com  has a list of serial numbers and manufacturing dates.  
Link Posted: 5/25/2001 3:55:09 AM EDT
[#6]
For Ruger Production Dates....

[url]http://www.sportables.com/Ruger_rifles.htm[/url]
Link Posted: 5/25/2001 4:01:05 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
For Ruger Production Dates....

[url]http://www.sportables.com/Ruger_rifles.htm[/url]
View Quote
                                         Guess i need a mini 14....(do 30`s count?)...[smoke]
Link Posted: 5/25/2001 4:06:19 AM EDT
[#8]

[i]This is a real heated subject.
If the mini in question is not a GB(factory flash hider, folding stock & bayonet lug) then you dont have a pre ban. the date it was made is not even a factor because the mini was not subject to the 94 ban. If you add any of those banned items you are creating a new assult weapon.
you will find people on this board who will tell you otherwise. but you are the one who is taking the risk.[/i]

I'd have to disagree, in part.  Aftermarket folding stocks, flash hiders, ect. were available for years, and before Sept. '94, people were putting them on their Minis.  Legally.  A rifle configured by the owner as an assault weapon per the 94 ban, before the ban, is grandfathered in.   Also, it is up to the government to prove, not the owner.  However, it would be wise for the owner to have dated receipts for the accessories.

Bottom line, if it was not configured before 9/94 by [b]somebody[/b], it's too late now.    
Link Posted: 5/25/2001 4:10:25 AM EDT
[#9]
Ruger also made mag`s in various capacities (ie 10-20-30 rnd) until the bill ruger p-c move in 88/89...then the p-c 5 rounder was shipped with the mini`s.............[smoke]
Link Posted: 5/25/2001 7:21:54 AM EDT
[#10]
my mini 14 was made in 1978.it has all wood not that cheapo plastic top that the newer ones have.anyway its pre ban but so what.im not going to put a bayonet mount on it or a folding stock that makes them barell heavy.pre ban is way overrated.as far as ARs go ill take a nib post ban anyday.and i did too.
Link Posted: 5/25/2001 8:00:32 AM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By Garand Shooter:
If you cannot prove that either one was ASSEMBLED with 2 or more of the evil features before the ban(detachable magazine, pistol grip, flash hider, grenade launcer, bayonet lug) then neither is really pre-ban.
View Quote

That is not true.  The law simply states the rifles in question had to be legally
possessed semi-auto assault weapons on the date of enactment.  The law
doesn’t say without proof they are not really pre-ban.

Basically, in order for any of your mini-14s to qualify as grand fathered semi-
auto assault weapons they would need to have had 2 or more of the AW features
on or before Sept 14, 1994.  Things like flash hiders, bayonet lugs, folding
stocks, pistol grips, ext.

Why some people don’t think the AW ban applies to mini-14's is beyond me.
As someone indicated, people have been putting folding stocks, flash hiders,
pistol grips and other goodies on mini-14s since the rifles introduction.

RK
Link Posted: 5/25/2001 8:01:23 AM EDT
[#12]
Here's another good Mini link.

[url]http://www.mini14world.com/[/url]
Link Posted: 5/25/2001 8:12:28 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

This is a real heated subject.

you will find people on this board who will tell you otherwise. but you are the one who is taking the risk.
View Quote

I must be one of those ”people”, but you are incorrect.

A mini-14 doesn’t need to be a GB in order to be a legal, semi-auto AW.
As I noted above, it only needs to have been configured as one,
on or before the ban.
Link Posted: 5/25/2001 8:15:21 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

the date it was made is not even a factor because the mini was not subject to the 94 ban.

View Quote

Say what?

Any semiautomatic rifle with a detachable magazine could fall under the ban.
Hate to tell you, but that happens to include things like mini-14s, 10-22, marlin
camp carbines, to name a few.  Untold numbers of these rifles these rifles had
been fitted with folding, pistol grip stocks before the ban.

Get a clue.

(B) a semiautomatic rifle that has an ability to accept a
detachable magazine and has at least 2 of -
      (i) a folding or telescoping stock;
      (ii) a pistol grip that protrudes conspicuously beneath the
    action of the weapon;
      (iii) a bayonet mount;
      (iv) a flash suppressor or threaded barrel designed to
    accommodate a flash suppressor; and
    (v) a grenade launcher;
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top