Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/24/2001 7:31:41 AM EDT
This essay is way too long to post (over 7000 characters).  But I've included a few of my favorite parts.

From: [url]http://www.subdimension.com/subzine/viewpoints/teach_your_child_about_governm.html[/url]
-------------------------------
10/3/1999 -  I think it is very important that we teach our children about the true nature of  government. Now, at last, there is a way to give your children a basic civics course right in your own home!

In my own experience as a father, I have discovered several simple devices that can illustrate to a child's mind the principles on
which the modern state deals with its citizens.

You may find them helpful too.

For example, I used to play the simple card game WAR with my son. After a while, when he thoroughly understood that the higher
ranking cards beat the lower ranking ones, I created a new game I called GOVERNMENT. In this game, I was Government, and I won every trick, regardless of who had the better card. My boy soon lost interest in my new game, but I like to think it taught him a valuable lesson for later in life.

When your child is a little older, you can teach him about our tax system in a way that is easy to grasp and will allow him to understand the benefits. Offer him, say, £10 to mow the lawn. When he has mowed it and asks to be paid, withhold £5 and explain that this is
income tax. Give £1 of this to his younger brother, who has done nothing to deserve it, and tell him that this is "fair" because the younger brother 'needs money too'. Also, explain that you need the other £4 yourself to cover the administrative costs of dividing the money and for various other things you need.

Make him place his £5 in a savings account over which you have authority. Explain that if he is ever naughty, you will remove the money from the account without asking him. Also explain how you will be taking most of the interest he earns on that money, without his permission. Mention that if he tries to hide the money, this, in itself, will be evidence of wrongdoing and will result in you automatically taking the money from him.

Ban cutlery from your home and make your son eat with his fingers. If he asks why, remind him of the youth who stabbed a cat to
death last week with a fork. Explain that if just one cat is saved by the banning of cutlery, then this prohibition will be worthwhile. If he protests, question him closely about why he is intending to kill innocent cats, or accuse him of being a cat hater.

Lie to your child constantly. Teach him that words mean nothing - or rather that the meanings of words are continually "evolving", and may be tomorrow the opposite of what they are today.

Link Posted: 5/24/2001 10:21:59 AM EDT
[#1]
Actually, if you expect your kids to get an education on the foundation and workings of the political system under which we live - think again.  They don't teach it any more, at least no where near where I live.  Nor do they teach history.

If you want your kids to understand how the system is [b]supposed[/b] to work, you [b]have[/b] to do it yourself.  And you'd better.

[sniper]

btt

(Edit:  I just read it.  Boy was THAT accurate!  My favorite quote:  "I hope you found that amusing. I did when I wrote it, but on second reading, I feel a bit sick. It makes the point too plainly to avoid.")
Link Posted: 5/24/2001 11:57:03 AM EDT
[#2]
I love it and printed up a few for the kinds.

Here’s a better link that you can print.

[url]http://www.webzone.net/bdang/Gov.html[/url]

THISISME

Link Posted: 5/24/2001 4:50:17 PM EDT
[#3]
I teach my kids about government by volunteering to help campaign for pro-gun candidates.  My children has often help stuff envelopes, fold flyers etc.  They actually got a chance to talk to the candidate.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top