Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 8/1/2021 11:07:28 PM EDT
[#1]
Goodwill had an auction site where they sell the good stuff.

Stuff that is donated in town A is usually shipped to a different town and stuff from a different town is shipped to Town A' s store.
Link Posted: 8/2/2021 12:15:37 AM EDT
[#2]
I donate to the Salvation Army or American Cancer Society
Link Posted: 8/2/2021 12:20:30 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Why?  I love GW.  I take my junk there and get a tax deduction.  If GW makes some money, what is the harm?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Beats going to the dump and paying $$$

I’d rather take my unwanted stuff to the dump for five bucks than give it to goodwill so they or a customer of theirs can make money off it.

Why?  I love GW.  I take my junk there and get a tax deduction.  If GW makes some money, what is the harm?

The people who run goodwill are rich from selling stuff that was given to them on the pretext of “helping the needy.”

I’ll take my stuff to the dump.
Link Posted: 8/2/2021 12:35:22 AM EDT
[#4]
I just emptied half my condo to a couple kids of friends headed to college or moving into their first apartment. I don't need a beer glass from 35 cities or furniture in the 4th bedroom from my own first apartment 35 years ago.
Link Posted: 8/2/2021 1:32:58 AM EDT
[#5]
Goodwill is a business.  Don’t let the name fool you.
Link Posted: 8/2/2021 4:18:35 AM EDT
[#6]
They used to be a gold mine for amazing deals on vintage stereo gear.  Then the flippers caught on and made a killing stalking the stores and reselling on Ebay.  Then Goodwill caught on and started their own auction site (Shopgoodwill.com).  Now pretty much anything decent ends up on there where in often fetches ridiculous prices.
Link Posted: 8/2/2021 6:36:43 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
You mean that capitalist fat cats are getting rich off the hamster cage I donated to Goodwill, and the suit I got married in 20 years ago?

I thought I had eliminated poverty
View Quote

lol some guys in this thread think they deserve a trophy because they gave Hoodwill some old shit that probably wasn't worth 2 bucks altogether

"I bet they sold my grass stained Nike Monarchs on ebay!!"
*raises fist*
Link Posted: 8/2/2021 6:47:28 AM EDT
[#8]
We dropped off some stuff on a Sunday,, which is donation-only day.

The ample kept dating how nice the st of 3 pictures were, which was odd.  As soon as we drove off we stopped to watch-she carried all three from the store and put them into what we can only presume is her personal car.  This was at the store/donation center.

They don't exactly employ the highest breed of society.
Link Posted: 8/2/2021 6:50:00 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Goodwill sorts incoming donations and the "good stuff" goes on their own auction site
View Quote
Or home with the people that work there. The nicer the area the store is in the better chance of finding anything worth a crap. The closest one to me is 99.9% just clothes rack after clothes rack, store is about to pop. I tried to look on one rack and couldn't even get the thing off the rack it was so stuffed. Not really nice clothes either. I only went in there once.
Pretty sure it was all bulk clothes they got from another large retailer dumping their shit they couldn't sell.
Link Posted: 8/2/2021 7:12:44 AM EDT
[#10]
I still buy physical CDs, so Goodwill is fun for me. A buck or two gets me a new disc, and there's not much competition because to most people they're garbage.
Link Posted: 8/2/2021 7:32:39 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Goodwill sorts everything before going to the rack.

I know for a fact that they sort name brand stuff and in WI, anything with Packers, UW or Harley Davidson  gets put off to the side with the stretched out and faded crap put out in the store as "teaser items" to keep people coming in.
The good shit is put up on online auction sites.

I used to service one and I was told by the manager how it all works. Large signs by bins in the back too with people sorting. Pretty obvious. Signs above bins for Nike, UA, Columbia, GB Packers, Harley, etc.
View Quote

We have one of the big sorting places in town, everything goes into the bins and the good stuff is taken out. Then they roll the bins out to the main floor and let the peasants grub thru them. Everything is priced really cheap to get rid of it.  Anything left after a few days is shipped off to the landfill (most every thing at that point). The place is full white trashy people and smells of unwashed clothes (because every one washes the clothes they donate...). The bums like to hang out there to pick up cheap stuff. The good stuff is then cleaned, kinda, and shipped off to the stores/training centers where the mentally ill workers scream at people in the neighborhood and try to break into the store they work at at night.

Think Im making this up. Wish I was. I miss Value Village. And Salvation Army. And why we don't have a St. Vinnies, I never could figure out.
Link Posted: 8/2/2021 7:43:46 AM EDT
[#12]
good will is a for profit store, like walmart, or target.

10 years ago if was a good place to find the occasional deal. then i moved and every time ive been there it's all been junk. ill give them cloths or random stuff i dont want with little value but pretty much everything else i just post for free.
Link Posted: 8/2/2021 7:54:14 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

They probably had trouble finding it.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I donate to the St. Vincent's by me.  Nice store.  Used to be one for the blind too but that closed.  Shame as that's also a great cause.

They probably had trouble finding it.
I see what you mean, but can we focus on the topic?
You probably weren't a very good pupil.
Link Posted: 8/2/2021 7:59:23 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

I'd rather take my unwanted stuff to the dump for five bucks than give it to goodwill so they or a customer of theirs can make money off it.
View Quote
I did that with a few trailer loads; to the dump.
Link Posted: 8/2/2021 8:56:04 AM EDT
[#15]
I buy decent stuff at Goodwill. Have gotten a few porcelin coated cast iron frying pans for $5 or less. Now and then some jeans and dress shirts. Last week I bought a brand new with tags pair of Filson wool pants for $6.99, brought them home took pictures and listed them on Ebay. 24 hours later received a bid for $100 and an hour after that got an email that they'd been bought for $130! Buyer also paid $7.70 for shipping which covered my original cost so in 24 hours I pocketed $130.
Link Posted: 8/2/2021 10:41:28 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

lol some guys in this thread think they deserve a trophy because they gave Hoodwill some old shit that probably wasn't worth 2 bucks altogether

*raises fist*
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
You mean that capitalist fat cats are getting rich off the hamster cage I donated to Goodwill, and the suit I got married in 20 years ago?

I thought I had eliminated poverty

*raises fist*
It takes a highly principled man to bury his junk in a landfill to keep it from the clutches of evil capitalists who exploit the poor
Link Posted: 8/2/2021 10:57:19 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Goodwill is a business.  Don’t let the name fool you.
View Quote

Yep. And their CEO makes millions. They're the exact opposite of what their name says.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top