Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/23/2001 8:39:24 PM EDT
How many of you have a C&R license and use them.  Is it worth my time to invest the small fee to start a collection of old rifles.

Thanks
Link Posted: 5/23/2001 9:19:43 PM EDT
[#1]
Or, should I just leave the transfer to the real arms dealers.  Too much action on the boards tonight.
Link Posted: 5/23/2001 9:30:01 PM EDT
[#2]
I got my C&R back in January mainly because the choices of guns you can get here are getting slim and the prices are going up.  

I already have a couple mausers and a russian M44 and I really like them. For $69 to $109 delivered for a great gun with a lot of history (and being PC doesn't hurt) you can't beat it.

The only drawback to C&R in Kali is that long arms under fifty years old and any pistols have to be transfered to a dealer like a regular sale along with the 10 day wait.

This means that SKS for $179 ends up being 250 after transfer fees and dros. The big advantage with pistols though is at least you can get some old 45's, Makarovs, CZ's, etc, for a very good dealer price and just pay your local dealer his fees instead of his huge markup.
Link Posted: 5/24/2001 1:34:09 PM EDT
[#3]
So the SKS still has to go through the FFL Dealer process??  Most of the ads in SGN list C&R or FFL required, and I thought this indicated it was legal for sale direct to a C&R.  Perhaps I will drop Centerfire Systems and email for clarification.  Thanks for the heads up.
Link Posted: 5/24/2001 1:38:43 PM EDT
[#4]
I sent off for mine 24 days ago...cant wait to start getting some of those old military weapons..

NightRanger  
Link Posted: 5/24/2001 5:28:28 PM EDT
[#5]
The no handguns or rifles and shotguns less than 50 years old is a California law, not federal.
Link Posted: 5/24/2001 5:59:07 PM EDT
[#6]
I finally got my C&R but now I have to wait some more because the$#@%$ ATF forgot to put the first letter on my last name. So now I have to wait for another license.
Link Posted: 5/24/2001 6:23:11 PM EDT
[#7]
If you are going to buy old rifles (or old handguns) anyway, go for it, I highly recommend it.

There are a lot of things covered under the C&R umbrella: M1 Garands and carbines, '03 Springfields, Russian SKS's, Mausers, Enfields, M1911's, Mosin Nagants, P-38's, Lugers, Makarovs, CZ50 and CZ52, Sistema Colts, Ballester Molinas, etc.

There's just something so right about having a semi-automatic firearm delivered to your doorstep.

And don't forget that many mail-order companies will give dealer discounts to C&R FFL holders... Brownell's and Midway for example.

In return, all you really have to do is keep a record of the C&R's you buy and sell (something most of us do anyway).  That's about it.
Link Posted: 5/24/2001 6:25:30 PM EDT
[#8]
I applied for mine May 1st and I am drooling in anticipation.
Others have warned me it is the road to the poor house and I can imagine. I have $600 of guns on my list for my first order.
Link Posted: 5/24/2001 7:50:08 PM EDT
[#9]
I sent my application last week, needless to say, I can't wait for it (I know it will take 60 days or more), it will open a new world for me, I have seen the other side, now I want to live there...[:D]
Link Posted: 5/24/2001 8:10:40 PM EDT
[#10]
You need to keep a "bound book" and it's available to the BATF anytime.

Downside of buying surplus guns online is that you don't get to pick/choose. I'll pay a bit more to pick them out and not keep records.

C&R doesn't allow you to be a "dealer" only a collector. You can sell you stuff from the collection, but you can't go into the business of selling surplus guns.

ALL bolt action rifles are considered C&R. Russian/Romanian SKS, Makarov are C&R. You can buy a bolt action rifle from a dealer with a C&R and not have to go through Brady, etc.

$30 for three yrs. It's worth having if you buy guns.
Link Posted: 5/24/2001 8:18:04 PM EDT
[#11]
Had mine since late last year.

Not used it yet but I keep seeing some pretty good deals on the old Mausers and M44 carbines.

Gonna have to use it now that you reminded me.
Link Posted: 5/25/2001 3:37:28 AM EDT
[#12]
Brownell's gives a 25% discount to FFL holders, including C&R. That's the only FFL I have and they give it to me.

Here's what I did:
- establish an account on their web-page (free)
- once you get your C&R FFL, e-mail Brownell's and send a [b]signed[/b] copy of your C&R FFL to them
- they will ammend your account and you will see two prices when you look at stuff on their web page. The normal cost and your discounted cost.

Well worth the $10/year for the C&R FFL.

Just an added perk.

I haven't tried for discounts at other places, may be some more to be had.
Link Posted: 5/25/2001 3:52:55 AM EDT
[#13]
Midway gives C&R FFL's a discount?  I knew about brownells but not Midway.  Can someone else verify this?

I've purchased a M44, 3 M91-30's and an SKS with my C&R.  All in about 2-3 weeks time. heh.  Nothing since then.   I'd like to pickup a few C&R pistols but not sure which ones to get.  Can someone make some good suggestions?
Link Posted: 5/25/2001 4:00:23 AM EDT
[#14]
Where do I get my application? Is there somewhere online I can download/print it?
Link Posted: 5/25/2001 9:35:26 AM EDT
[#15]
You can get ATF forms at the ATF site, :)  or here [url]www.titleii.com/forms.htm[/url]

Or just C&R click here --> [url]www.titleii.com/pdf/form7cr.pdf[/url]
Link Posted: 5/25/2001 10:26:21 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Midway gives C&R FFL's a discount?  I knew about brownells but not Midway.  Can someone else verify this?

I've purchased a M44, 3 M91-30's and an SKS with my C&R.  All in about 2-3 weeks time. heh.  Nothing since then.   I'd like to pickup a few C&R pistols but not sure which ones to get.  Can someone make some good suggestions?
View Quote

Well, after I sent them a copy of my C&R FFL, I started getting "dealer" catalogs, with discounted pricing.  I know the other guys on the C&R mailing list ([url]http://www.shelfspace.com/~c-r-ffl[/url]) buy stuff from Midway at a discount all the time.

Also, another poster stated that "all bolt-action rifles are C&R."  This isn't quite true.  The great majority of military issue bolt-action rifles are, but some aren't.  Any doubts can be resolved by checking the ATF Curio & Relic list.  Another thing that the C&R allows you to do -- not that I know anybody who's doing it -- is to buy commemorative, limited issue firearms using your license. I don't do that because those cost big bucks, and I hate having a gun I can't shoot.

On pistols: EG Makarov, Star Model B, Ballester Molina, Inglis High Power, Sistema Colt, and there are probably a few others offhand that I can't recall.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top