Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/23/2001 8:12:59 PM EDT
Any suggestions on what to change to.  
Link Posted: 5/23/2001 8:23:56 PM EDT
[#1]
I'm dumping them also..I'm going to try Outdoors.net...I read about them in this month's "American Rifleman". Part of fee goes to your choice of pro gun group.
Link Posted: 5/23/2001 8:28:03 PM EDT
[#2]
In about four months my free aol will run out, then anybody else but aol.
Link Posted: 5/23/2001 8:43:46 PM EDT
[#3]
Earthlink is pretty good. They also offer DSL in select locations.
Link Posted: 5/24/2001 6:41:31 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 5/24/2001 6:45:06 AM EDT
[#5]
"Good luck gettin rid of AOL remnants lurking in 'puter...kinda like herpes"

That is the truth...!  Just changed over to Charter Cable.  Took forever to delete everything, and I still might have overlooked something.
Link Posted: 5/24/2001 7:09:06 AM EDT
[#6]
In a few months their prices are going up a few $.  They now have about 28M members, but not me.

Try Loop.com, they may still be $18/m if in your area.
Link Posted: 5/24/2001 7:12:58 AM EDT
[#7]
[url]http://www.keepandbeararms.com/webservices/[/url]

[b]VERY[/b] Pro-Gun!
Link Posted: 5/24/2001 7:13:42 AM EDT
[#8]
Those who said AOL is hard to get rid of aren't lying!!!  They leave some kind of crap that makes it very difficult to sign on with another ISP.  And don't expect AOL to help you get rid of their crap. Those SOB's have put it there intentionally to make it hard to dump them!

There may be an easier way, but I just saved all my software to disk and did an entire restore.  This got rid of all that AOL crap!

Maybe someone out there can tell you an easier way, BUT GET RID OF AOL WHATEVER YOU DO!

DaMan
Link Posted: 5/24/2001 7:19:27 AM EDT
[#9]
LT  I have to disagree.  Earthlink has given me terrible customer service & support.  I've cancelled 3 accounts with them & trying to find an alternative to them supplying my ISDN line.

They have screwed up our email & website & will not respond to calls or emails.

Just a short call to them is 40 minutes.  I'd stay away from Earthlink.
Link Posted: 5/24/2001 7:40:26 AM EDT
[#10]
Hey guys, for your info, both AOL and Earthlink are supporters of many of our enemies. Why would any gun loving, free American support any companies who are trying to take all that away from you...
Try to find one of the newer ISP's who will kick back money to your favorite Pro-Liberty organization. Helps you and the movement.
In Freedom,
CrossEyed
[sniper]
Link Posted: 5/24/2001 7:53:47 AM EDT
[#11]
Ditto on Earthlink I work for her, she is not my first choice for service...although is free.  I can't really complain.  I advise www.keepandbeararms.com/webservices/ as mtnpatriot said.
Link Posted: 5/24/2001 7:54:56 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Those who said AOL is hard to get rid of aren't lying!!!  They leave some kind of crap that makes it very difficult to sign on with another ISP.  And don't expect AOL to help you get rid of their crap. Those SOB's have put it there intentionally to make it hard to dump them!

There may be an easier way, but I just saved all my software to disk and did an entire restore.  This got rid of all that AOL crap!

Maybe someone out there can tell you an easier way, BUT GET RID OF AOL WHATEVER YOU DO!

DaMan
View Quote

There is a reg hack for that.
Link Posted: 5/24/2001 8:01:35 AM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By Grin&Barrett:
LT  I have to disagree.  Earthlink has given me terrible customer service & support.  I've cancelled 3 accounts with them & trying to find an alternative to them supplying my ISDN line.

They have screwed up our email & website & will not respond to calls or emails.

Just a short call to them is 40 minutes.  I'd stay away from Earthlink.
View Quote

I think it might be a matter of region. When I was in Socal the CS with Earthlink was superb. They answered my calls w/i 5mins for the most part. Solved my problems quickly and stayed on the line till it is solved.
Verizon Wireless was the same way, until I moved to TX. Then I was put on forever death hold, was promised a call back that never happened, get tfrd in circles. Never happened to the Verizon reps in SoCal(use to be Airtouch) So I was forced to go with Sprint, yuuuckk.
Link Posted: 5/24/2001 8:22:25 AM EDT
[#14]
Switch to AT&T worldnet.  They have very cheap monthly fees if you use their long distance ($4) or you can just sign up for their ISP service.  Under $20 month for true 56k access with a banner ad (price depends on usage).  Or for $25 a month you can get unlimited access and no annoying banner.  We have a corp account at work.  I never get a busy signal and connect at 53k all the time.
Link Posted: 5/24/2001 9:56:20 AM EDT
[#15]
It's not called AOHell for nothing.

Get cable if you can. I have AT&T @ home and it works great.
Link Posted: 5/24/2001 6:47:03 PM EDT
[#16]
Getting rid of AOL:
Step:
1)CAll and tell them you are cancelling.  They will then offer you 3 free months.  You say NO.
2)Cancell your credit card that the billing is sent to.  AOL will still charge your CC after you have told them that you have cancelled.
3)After 3 months you will get letters from AOL and collection agencys saying that you owe AOL $120 for the "3 free months" that they offered you (which you said no to) but now consider this a delinquent payment for 3 months.  Where they got the $120. from for 3 months is purefraud, that is $40 a month and AOL is only about $28 a month(I think).
4)Call them back and tell them what THEY did AFTER you called them and CANCELLED their shitty ISP and that they can stick their company and their bill up their ass.

This happened to a friend of mine when he tried to cancelled.  They offered him the free 3 months and he took it, but stopped all automatic payment.  They then sent him letter s that he owed them $120. for the "free 3 months"

BISHOP
Link Posted: 5/24/2001 6:57:36 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 5/24/2001 7:05:44 PM EDT
[#18]
[img]http://home.earthlink.net/~jeffh99708/aolsucks/evil.gif [/img]             [img]http://home.earthlink.net/~jeffh99708/aolsucks/litning.gif [/img]
Link Posted: 5/24/2001 7:11:07 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
I'm dumping them also..I'm going to try Outdoors.net...I read about them in this month's "American Rifleman". Part of fee goes to your choice of pro gun group.
View Quote

I, too, am thinking of Outdoors.net.  AOL is becoming too proprietary for me..Does anyone know the rates of Outdoors.net?

SNB
Link Posted: 5/24/2001 7:22:38 PM EDT
[#20]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top