Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 5
Link Posted: 5/16/2021 12:17:49 AM EDT
[#1]
If your under 40, honestly a fiber optics tech is probably going to be the best paying and easiest money of the trades. Most guys I know that apprentice it for 2 years while taking some classes, are getting $20 an hour, but once you make tech level, you can easily make $60-80K a year, and masters are making huge money. The tools are the biggest expense for the companies, but no messing with electricity that can kill you, or getting shit on you from pipes.
Link Posted: 5/16/2021 12:19:08 AM EDT
[#2]
If I had to do it over again, I'd go for electrical if for no other reason than you don't have to clean up after yourself.
Link Posted: 5/16/2021 12:31:42 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Christ! Why so much? How long to become one of those? Or is it whom you know not what you know kind of job.
View Quote

Lead a pony, and that wagon will follow!
Start out as a loader operator,  learn the stacking pattern, ...
First and foremost is... what's your cycle time?
How fast are you on a loader,  cycling material, and generally keeping shit in order?
This is my batch plant, providing 400 yards of concrete per hour...
You f...up? For me it's at least $21K/hr
Link Posted: 5/16/2021 12:33:11 AM EDT
[#4]
I'm a commerical plumber.

No houses, don't like getting wood all over myself, or getting into tiny cabinets.

No playing in poop.

You can go to school, but it's not necessary (I didn't, I was running jobs 2 years in) 4 year apprenticeship/8000 hours in Texas you take a 40hr class then you can test for your license...you can also add a few endorsements in different specialties for more money...Med Gas, double checks, etc.

I get companies trying to recruit me, if that means anything.
Link Posted: 5/16/2021 12:34:24 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
What do you do?

How long does trade school for it take?

What is the job market like?

How much did you make starting?

Machinists, what sub sector has the most demand? Aviation? Petroleum?

Average age for your trade?

Thank you for the info.
View Quote

I'm a welder, started in the Navy, worked for a top tier defense company for roughly 20yrs after that.
I retired in my early 40s, last payscale was roughly $52hr and $120 day per diem plus other travel pay, hazard pay, meals on the bosses company card, rental vehicles and top tier insurance plan.

I now weld out of my own shop, I'm the only one around my neck of the woods capable of producing solid tig, stainless and water tight welds at a fast pace. I am working on a $225,000 custom rv recently and the folks have been paying whatever I ask for.
I charge $130hr and I'm booked to the brim. I usually only put in 7hrs a day, 4 days a week but its a comfortable gig. I am relaxed.
I turn down alot of work now...
Link Posted: 5/16/2021 12:43:42 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Tell me more about crane operators/Construction inspection.
View Quote

2 month crane school in/around Janesville WI, get a seat immediately making $60hr plus per diem.

I'd call bullshit if I didnt see it first hand.

Young 18yr old I met on the road told me his mom got tired of him smoking pot in her basement, came home with a stack of trade school pamphlets and said he had to go. He chose that particular school, said they put him in the seat for 2 months and had him move shit around the yard. Paid his $10000 and they placed him with a company,  made $60hr 12hr days plus $120 a day per diem. Outside of Savannah is where I met him.. staging equipment for the US government.
Seen it with my own eyes

Link Posted: 5/16/2021 12:49:03 AM EDT
[#7]
I got my AAS in Diesel Technology in 2016.

I'm a Heavy Equipment Tech for a landfill now.

Would I do it again?  IDK, maybe.

I'm 42 now.  I was physically broken before I took the job, and now I hurt even more.  I make $24/hr, but I don't have to pay for tools, personal (wife and kid cost a hell of a lot more) insurance, and my PTO is awesome.

The problem is the subject.  "Trade" means a lot.  If you're going to be a wrench turner, you need to look into things like tools before you look into the usual benefits and work expenses.  If welding, I can't school you on that, but I can tell you that I know a few welders, and their "company" lays them off when they're not needed, instead of keeping them on by sweeping floors when there aren't contracts to be filled.
Link Posted: 5/16/2021 12:55:40 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Plan on nights, weekends and holidays. 65-70 hour weeks.

Walmart pays like $90k but won't touch you for 3 years.

I'll do about that this year, I'm 10 months into my driving career. It should be pointed out that it's more than a job - it really takes over your life. Really hard on families, as noted.

Shooting for $110k my second year. 14 hours a day, 5 days a week. Right at the legal limit.

Forget about over the road and go straight to LTL. You can still have some sort of life with LTL.  Zero with OTR.
View Quote

average amount of time you spend home?

Anyone work on oil rigs?
Link Posted: 5/16/2021 12:58:11 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Don’t do it. Been in trades 20 some years.
Shoot higher.
View Quote

Well I want be the CEO of an Energy Company, making millions doing nothing and banging a redhead buxom secretary that may or may not be Christina Hendricks, but sadly was not born into the proper family.
Link Posted: 5/16/2021 12:59:03 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
If your under 40, honestly a fiber optics tech is probably going to be the best paying and easiest money of the trades. Most guys I know that apprentice it for 2 years while taking some classes, are getting $20 an hour, but once you make tech level, you can easily make $60-80K a year, and masters are making huge money. The tools are the biggest expense for the companies, but no messing with electricity that can kill you, or getting shit on you from pipes.
View Quote

Tell me more about fiber optic tech.

Link Posted: 5/16/2021 1:05:01 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Anyone work on oil rigs?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Plan on nights, weekends and holidays. 65-70 hour weeks.

Walmart pays like $90k but won't touch you for 3 years.

I'll do about that this year, I'm 10 months into my driving career. It should be pointed out that it's more than a job - it really takes over your life. Really hard on families, as noted.

Shooting for $110k my second year. 14 hours a day, 5 days a week. Right at the legal limit.

Forget about over the road and go straight to LTL. You can still have some sort of life with LTL.  Zero with OTR.

Anyone work on oil rigs?

I'm home every day for about 9 hours. Then I'm off for about 56 hours over the weekend.
Link Posted: 5/16/2021 1:14:03 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Most fiber splicers around here make $20/hr, lots of travel, lots of work at night. It’s easy work, but insanely boring.

I’m a copper splicer for a phone company and I’m about to get out of telecom for good. Companies are in a race to the bottom with wages, there’s a seemingly endless supply of contractors ready to do the work for peanuts.

I’m looking to get into controls or something else. Telecom has been a shit sandwich in my experience.

I have an AAS in telecom and networking, it helped, but is not required.
Link Posted: 5/16/2021 1:24:41 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Well I want be the CEO of an Energy Company, making millions doing nothing and banging a redhead buxom secretary that may or may not be Christina Hendricks, but sadly was not born into the proper family.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Shoot higher.

Me either but I wish I had done something better. I have gained a lot of diverse skills but by the time I’ll be able to use them, my body won’t let me.

Aim higher
Link Posted: 5/16/2021 1:33:26 AM EDT
[#14]
Not really a trade, but some people are mentioning truck driving and equipment.  Equipment operator with a CDL using a JD 310k backhoe and a mini-ex for a gas utility company.  They also got me NCCCO certified in TLL and TSS cranes that I hardly ever use.  Qualifications to install and fuse plastic pipe.  Base pay is like 108k, made almost 200k gross with overtime last year.  

I love the work, like a big kid when I'm digging with equipment.  But small crews, so I'm also operating a shovel a lot of the time.  But I kind of love that too.
Link Posted: 5/16/2021 1:53:38 AM EDT
[#15]
I work as an auto mechanic. You can go to trade school for it but you’d probably be better off just getting your foot in the door doing tires and oil changes and working your way up (you’ll either get it or you won’t). Starting pay generally sucks but with experience and the right opportunity you can make really good money.  If you have a higher IQ you’ll do good since the job is essentially problem solving and critical thinking. The industry has huge demand for labor and it increases every year as technology pushes out old guys and young people aren’t getting into it.

If you’re good at diagnosis, get into an independent shop and make the business totally dependent on you, once you do that you can get pretty much whatever you want.  That’s where I’m at now with 3 guys working under me doing the parts swapping, I rarely get my hands dirty anymore.
Link Posted: 5/16/2021 2:00:49 AM EDT
[#16]
i heard a big dairy (Shamrock Farms) here in AZ is/was hiring truck drivers.

Starting $70k, they will train you to drive and have great benefits.
Link Posted: 5/16/2021 2:01:55 AM EDT
[#17]
Any info from HVAC guys? Thanks to everyone who's shared already. I find this stuff interesting and enjoy reading the stories and anecdotes.
Link Posted: 5/16/2021 2:21:34 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
I'm a commerical plumber.

No houses, don't like getting wood all over myself, or getting into tiny cabinets.

No playing in poop.

You can go to school, but it's not necessary (I didn't, I was running jobs 2 years in) 4 year apprenticeship/8000 hours in Texas you take a 40hr class then you can test for your license...you can also add a few endorsements in different specialties for more money...Med Gas, double checks, etc.

I get companies trying to recruit me, if that means anything.
View Quote

You had me at not getting into tony cabinets and NOT playing with poop.
Link Posted: 5/16/2021 2:32:16 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

I'm home every day for about 9 hours. Then I'm off for about 56 hours over the weekend.
View Quote

What do you do?

Starting wage?

How long did it take you to get trained?

Any interesting stories from the rig?
Link Posted: 5/16/2021 2:35:43 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Me either but I wish I had done something better. I have gained a lot of diverse skills but by the time I’ll be able to use them, my body won’t let me.

Aim higher
View Quote

I have been thinking about just doing drop shipping, then parlaying it into cheap rental property, maybe open up a trade school for those fed dollars.

Just tried of working hard and getting no where....I do not mind working hard and getting ahead, its basic logic, if you wanna get ahead you have to work for it, but when you work hard and get no where, or worse, slide backwards, its really is one of the more demoralizing as all Hell things..
Link Posted: 5/16/2021 2:38:43 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Not really a trade, but some people are mentioning truck driving and equipment.  Equipment operator with a CDL using a JD 310k backhoe and a mini-ex for a gas utility company.  They also got me NCCCO certified in TLL and TSS cranes that I hardly ever use.  Qualifications to install and fuse plastic pipe.  Base pay is like 108k, made almost 200k gross with overtime last year.  

I love the work, like a big kid when I'm digging with equipment.  But small crews, so I'm also operating a shovel a lot of the time.  But I kind of love that too.
View Quote

How long does it take to get such qualifications?

Christ that much base pay?
Link Posted: 5/16/2021 3:06:46 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

How long does it take to get such qualifications?

Christ that much base pay?
View Quote

No time really.  They're just federally required and the company trains and tests to standards based on that on a yearly basis.  Basically a couple week inhouse school and a yearly hands on test to prove I still know what I'm doing.  

Just mentioned it because my job duties include installing and repairing leaks on steel and polyethylene pipe, not just flipping toggles and pulling levers.  

The pay, well we're in the electrical workers union so riding those coat tails a bit as far as pay and benefits.
Link Posted: 5/16/2021 3:09:14 AM EDT
[#23]
Nvm
Link Posted: 5/16/2021 3:43:57 AM EDT
[#24]
I'm a tile contractor, I learned as a kid from a neighbor. You learn by getting a job as a helper. OJT. Not the best choice imo but a decent living before Obama.

Best trades: These 3 are always in demand and are first in line to get paid, finish trades like mine are last in line, last to get paid, if we we get paid.
Electrician
Plumbing/HVAC
Roofing

You have to have a roof, working plumbing and electricity and people pay out the ass for them.
Link Posted: 5/16/2021 4:31:31 AM EDT
[#25]
There are a lot of blue collar jobs that pay big money. The thing is you have to be smart and willing to get dirty, work hard, work weird hours at times, start at the bottom, and most importantly... you need to really want it. I don’t think there are any fly by night jagoffs that just fall into big money blue collar jobs... they earned their way into the big money.

A friend of mine just retired as a blue collar supervisor at $173,000 a year and now his pension is nearly 10 grand a month. He did it for 25 years, working fugged up shifts, getting dirty, doing the schooling and book work to advance, etc., but it payed off for him. He wasn’t a manager or anything like that, ground level supervisor, making YUGE money!

You need to find the right thing to do that will always be in need... take a look at the blue collar jobs that were unaffected by the pandemic and had to have workers 24/7. Thats a good place to start. Find something like that and then go for it and stick to it... eventually you will succeed and make big money if you want to.

Good luck.
Link Posted: 5/16/2021 6:42:55 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Most fiber splicers around here make $20/hr, lots of travel, lots of work at night. It’s easy work, but insanely boring.

I’m a copper splicer for a phone company and I’m about to get out of telecom for good. Companies are in a race to the bottom with wages, there’s a seemingly endless supply of contractors ready to do the work for peanuts.

I’m looking to get into controls or something else. Telecom has been a shit sandwich in my experience.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

OSP stuff must be a little different than inside work.

27 years in telcom as a low voltage electrician here. Journeymen make around $45/hr plus bennies, total package is around $70/hr. Our apprentices start at 50% of scale and get 5% bumps every 6 months. 4 year apprenticeship. The downside is most of my work is in Chicago. Union, of course.
Link Posted: 5/16/2021 6:53:59 AM EDT
[#27]
I can tell you from experience, stay away from carpentry. Thankfully, the VA helped me reinvent myself but between military service and my current vocation I was a carpenter and then a contractor. People in general scoff at paying a skilled carpenter what they're worth. I was billing out at $30 an hour on cost plus jobs and was regularly accused of highway robbery. The thing is, when you account for the 1million in liability insurance, taxes, equipment upkeep, and overhead, I was lucky to be taking home $18 an hour. It takes the better part of a decade or more before you're established enough to draw premium rates and even then, the market is very narrow for high end work.

In contrast, people readily pay $60 or more for a mechanic, electrician, or plumber without batting an eye.
Link Posted: 5/16/2021 6:54:07 AM EDT
[#28]
HVAC guy here.  Resi/light commercial.  

I enjoy it, conditions can suck (low crawlspace to 120* attics)

Department manager now, we typically start green guys at 15-16.  Most of my techs are mid 20's.  Most trade school programs are about 2 years.  Localy, we have companies that will pay for it.  Work for them during the day and school at night.  

Job market is looking better and better for anyone that has a brain.  Huge shortage in techs.  I have no doubt that if i lost my job tomorrow I could have another 4 offers within a day.   I am actively being poached by other companies about once a month.

I would do it again, may look more towards commercial (different set of issues), or controls.  But i do like the people side of residential.  You meet some real assholes but also some really cool people.
Link Posted: 5/16/2021 7:00:09 AM EDT
[#29]
I’m a journeyman electrician of 26 years.

No trade school, all training was ojt.

The trades desperately need new blood that’s willing to learn, earn and work.
Link Posted: 5/16/2021 7:10:45 AM EDT
[#30]
Not a tradesman (m engineer) even though trained as an electrician.  I make medical devices for a fortune 5 hundred company and build molds for silicone LSR injection molding.  I also program 6 axis robots mainly Denso.  Most of the machinists in my plant are over 55 and it’s hard finding young, competent people to work in trades or manufacturing.  I am 39 and I refuse to work on the West / East coast no matter how much money is thrown at me.  If I was going do a trade it would be HVAC, electrician, or machinist and would seek out medical / Oil-gas industry.  Stay away from automotive- this coming from a guy born from a family of skilled trades from Flint/Detroit area.
Link Posted: 5/16/2021 7:12:04 AM EDT
[#31]
When they answer the door, do you hit them with pocket sand?

She sha sha shaaaaaaaaaa
Link Posted: 5/16/2021 7:23:26 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Shoot higher.
View Quote

^
This, from a retired IBEW Journeyman Inside Wireman with 39.5 years under his belt.
Gary
Link Posted: 5/16/2021 7:37:17 AM EDT
[#33]
Really the demand for good workers in the trades is insane, if you're decent you will always have an income. Really think about what you enjoy doing and just go for it. You'll know whether it's for you or not in the first year.

Also don't necessarily take everything the old guys say as gospel. I know a load of plumbers that bitch about how much it has taken from their body. They're also in the trade twenty years and don't own a freaking set of knee pads. Work smart no matter what you do.

I'm not joking about the money. Here's an example for residential plumbing. Mobile home repipe, one plumber one helper about $2800-$4000k billed to client, maybe $500 in material. Last one I did was $2800 and it took us 5 hours. Here's the rub, as a master license holder 2k in the pocket, as an employee $150-200.00.

You can make a very comfortable living as an employee but the opportunity for so much more is there for the taking.

Like anything else no matter what you choose you have to keep aiming for higher goals. I know painters making millions spray bombing commercial buildings, a carpenter that builds crazy nice bookcases at 10-20k a piece, etc... They didn't just gain a title then grind for 20 years, they kept going for the next step.
Link Posted: 5/16/2021 7:42:00 AM EDT
[#34]
New construction plumber here(Not a janitor).

Its hard work. Hand digging groundwork’s in 90f sucks and roughing-in in 15f..sucks too.

It takes at least 4 years of employment before you can start your own business.

I started in 1990 for $5.50/hr. 8 years later went on my own. I think going rate for plumbers in this line is mid $20’s. Its ok but construction in general is a rough go at pin pointing yearly profit when on your own. I have made as much as $3500+ in a day and as little as 0.0 for weeks, in general you should be able to pull $1500 a day on average(5-6 hours).

Like all construction it about getting with good builders, and NEVER take on too much. You can turn work down over and over and not burn a bridge but you can only take on something and not get to it once.

Another thing is learn to operate equipment. Dont be that guy that doesn’t do their own digging. I started out running backhoe when I started for my old boss, it was hard for them to keep me off..No idea how much I tore up, must have been a fortune. First thing I did when I went on my own was get my own equipment so digging is included in my prices.
Link Posted: 5/16/2021 8:02:39 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

Tell me more about crane operators/Construction inspection.
View Quote

I operated a 30 ton boom truck for a few years. I maxed out at $25/hr.
Link Posted: 5/16/2021 8:04:51 AM EDT
[#36]
I'm in concrete and masonry.

Go commercial electrician instead.
Link Posted: 5/16/2021 8:08:33 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
I come from a family of trades people and know many more. Carpentry, various installers, general contractors, concrete, roofs, heating and a/c....

One thing they all have in common...pain. Back surgeries, knee surgeries, shoulder surgeries, and that's if you don't have a bad accident.

They traded their body for money, and all the older ones are in pain, and usually drink a lot to cope.

Just my experience.
View Quote

Absolutely 100%. THIS!!
41 years in construction, been up all night with a old shoulder injury I pissed off running the garden tiller yesterday.    
Link Posted: 5/16/2021 8:09:07 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

Another thing is learn to operate equipment. Dont be that guy that doesn’t do their own digging. I started out running backhoe when I started for my old boss, it was hard for them to keep me off..No idea how much I tore up, must have been a fortune. First thing I did when I went on my own was get my own equipment so digging is included in my prices.
View Quote

My first boss refused to use equipment, and it cost him growth and efficiency big time. He wouldn't even rent it.

We would no shit strip sod by hand on patios and walkways, put it into the back of a pickup truck, drive it to a fill site, rinse and repeat.

Then when we brought stone in for the base it was the same thing. Go get stone in the back of the truck, wheelbarrow it in, and continue until forever.

For some reason he thought paying 5 or 6 guys to kill themselves all day somehow worked out cheaper than doing it with equipment, either hiring it out or doing it himself.

I can do in 45 minutes what used to take us a whole day, and the payment on that skidsteer isn't that much for the work I get out of it.
Link Posted: 5/16/2021 8:11:23 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Anyone from the grading and excavation trades want to chime in?  I love running equipment, so far as a hobby but I don’t know if it’s worth going full time.  I’ve also looked into plumbing and electrical.
View Quote

My friend is in the union for that in NY, he makes bank.
Link Posted: 5/16/2021 8:13:20 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

Absolutely 100%. THIS!!
41 years in construction, been up all night with a old shoulder injury I pissed off running the garden tiller yesterday.    
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I come from a family of trades people and know many more. Carpentry, various installers, general contractors, concrete, roofs, heating and a/c....

One thing they all have in common...pain. Back surgeries, knee surgeries, shoulder surgeries, and that's if you don't have a bad accident.

They traded their body for money, and all the older ones are in pain, and usually drink a lot to cope.

Just my experience.

Absolutely 100%. THIS!!

To build on this.

If you are in the trades you need to learn to stretch and strength train. It really helps a ton. You develop a ton of imbalances by doing the same thing year after year. The big one for me was not properly using my glutes (I still do it), end of the day my lower back sometimes is fried, especially if I've been kneeling all day, my back takes over where my glutes should be firing.

Wear your PPE too. I have 5 sets of knee pads in the truck. I have one pair just for all day kneeling, and other for quick and up down work, the others are for whoever needs them.

I use a back knobber and foam roller to release trigger points too, I get them in my rhomboids and hip flexors and they send referred paid everywhere. I recently found one in my right shin that was sending pain up to my knee.
Link Posted: 5/16/2021 8:15:07 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Anyone from the grading and excavation trades want to chime in?  I love running equipment, so far as a hobby but I don’t know if it’s worth going full time.  I’ve also looked into plumbing and electrical.

I did a job for a guy that was a union operator for 30 years. He retired, then a year later went back to work.

I asked him why he went back and he said they called him up and offered him stupid money because they were short on guys, he couldn't pass it up.

I assume he enjoys the work too, because in the year he took off he did a bunch of work at his property.
Link Posted: 5/16/2021 8:19:42 AM EDT
[#42]
Several young guys that used to help me on the farm and doing landscaping took my advice and learned a trade instead of going to college.  One signed on as a helper with a well digger,  now has his own rig and more business than he can get around to.  One is doing plumbing, got his license and working on Ft. Bragg and doing well. One stayed in the landscaping business and showing money also.  One took the heavy operators course and doing very well also.  He operates heavy lifting equip for buildings which is in high demand.  A man that has a trade and not an idiot is about to become invaluable.
Link Posted: 5/16/2021 8:26:36 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

View Quote

Seriously, try finding any electricians under 40 anymore.  I'd say the average age in the trades is right around 50.  The country as a whole spent the last 20 years telling kids they had to go to college and get a degree in underwater basket weaving, then a masters in gender studies to be relevant and that trades were for retards.  Now we have a generation of limp-wristed whiners who expect six figures for doing nothing , refuse to get their hands dirty, and don't know which end of a screwdriver to hold if their lives depended on it.
Link Posted: 5/16/2021 8:30:37 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

Seriously, try finding any electricians under 40 anymore.  I'd say the average age in the trades is right around 50.  The country as a whole spent the last 20 years telling kids they had to go to college and get a degree in underwater basket weaving, then a masters in gender studies to be relevant and that trades were for retards.  Now we have a generation of limp-wristed whiners who expect six figures for doing nothing , refuse to get their hands dirty, and don't know which end of a screwdriver to hold if their lives depended on it.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Try finding any tradesmen under 40.

I was joking around the other day with some guys helping me. I was the youngest guy on the jobsite 15 years ago and I still am. My laborer is a young guy, but everyone else that I know that I call to help on pour days is over 40, and when I'm on a jobsite it's very uncommon to see anyone but a laborer under 30.
Link Posted: 5/16/2021 8:31:51 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

Yes

30-35

I build a few AR lowers...I know how to break things as well.
View Quote
1. Lineman
2. Electrician
Link Posted: 5/16/2021 8:33:13 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
If I had to do it over again, I'd go for electrical if for no other reason than you don't have to clean up after yourself.
View Quote
That is what I thought when choosing between electrician and plumber over 40 years ago. Boy was I surprised when I learned how dirty you can get as an electrician. Climbing around in hot attic's with insulation. Wading waist deep in sewage changing float switches. Installing exhaust fans in the body lockers at Harvard medical school. Plus Electricians prices tend to be all over the place. Call five plumbers in their prices are very consistent for the most part.
Link Posted: 5/16/2021 8:33:44 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
View Quote

OUCH!
Link Posted: 5/16/2021 8:41:28 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
View Quote

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/16/2021 8:47:55 AM EDT
[#49]
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/294791/12_jpg-1944176.JPG
I've always heard people complain that electricians do not clean up after themselves. I've always carried a bucket or a box around while cutting things in and picking up the scraps. But when I was bidding jobs I would always ask the customer if they would like me to sweep and clean up. I explain to them that my hourly rate is the same sweeping as it is doing electrical work. In 40 years as an electrician I never had anyone offer to pay me my hourly rate to clean up and never had any complaints.
Link Posted: 5/16/2021 8:53:35 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
I've always heard people complain that electricians do not clean up after themselves. I've always carried a bucket or a box around while cutting things in and picking up the scraps. But when I was bidding jobs I would always ask the customer if they would like me to sweep and clean up. I explain to them that my hourly rate is the same sweeping as it is doing electrical work. In 40 years as an electrician I never had anyone offer to pay me my hourly rate to clean up and never had any complaints.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/294791/12_jpg-1944176.JPG

Same goes for the industrials.  When your crew is replacing broken shit on overtime, billing at $120/hr each, the plant manager will be the first one to tell you to not worry about cleaning up the mess, and they'll have one of their chinese temps do it for $8/hr.
Page / 5
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top