Quoted:

/thread
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
According to the interwebs, there are more bilingual people in the world than monolingual. Should America consider being able to speak only one language as a detriment rather than the norm?

Don't care. Very few places I've been to who don't speak English. I guess if I was born anywhere else, I would learn English too.

/thread

that's cool and all,

but travel more.

World travel is awesome when you know the language vs just saying it louder and slower in English..

Lots of French islands out there in the world.

English
Spanish
French
Drunken Scottish ( kinda )

My kids
English / Spanish / French

Edit:
I've tried German, but in all my travels I've not come across a single German that didn't speak English.
Link Posted: 5/16/2021 4:08:28 AM EDT
[#2]
Teachers in the US can't even learn kids English, math, science, readin' and writin', they can play some sports ball though.  Two languages seems like a nonstarter to me.
Link Posted: 5/16/2021 4:15:04 AM EDT
[#3]
English is a core part of our heritage and having another widespread language would dilute that. Bilingualism is for conquered people
Link Posted: 5/16/2021 4:17:20 AM EDT
[#4]
Speaking one language is a privilege for the most dominant culture in the world. The limeys conquered a huge chunk of the world and as a result their tongue became the standard international trading language.

We continued to carry their torch until now.

Now we're in our death of Rome period where multiculturalism has killed our country by robbing it of a proud history and heritage. It's our turn to be divided up and devoured
Link Posted: 5/16/2021 4:58:40 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
According to the interwebs, there are more bilingual people in the world than monolingual. Should America consider being able to speak only one language as a detriment rather than the norm?
View Quote

English is the language of pioneers, craftsman, and advancement.
You’re free to learn whatever language you desire, but english is the only useful language, and certainly the only language to leave its imprint on the most outer reaches of our galaxy.
Link Posted: 5/16/2021 6:33:30 AM EDT
[#6]

Link Posted: 5/16/2021 7:04:55 AM EDT
[#7]
There are so many bilingual people because everyone needs to speak English.

That being said I wish I actually learned some french in school.
Link Posted: 5/16/2021 7:11:24 AM EDT
[#8]
While only speaking English is nothing to boast about, it's hardly anything to be ashamed of .
Link Posted: 5/16/2021 7:14:26 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
My Spanish is good enough to get the cable fixed
View Quote

I know enough Spanish to get into a knife fight.

I can ask for beer in 3 foreign languages, though. A man has to have his priorities after all.
Link Posted: 5/16/2021 7:21:49 AM EDT
[#10]
I worked in landscape construction for a few years. I got a +$2 an hour upgrade because I could speak Spanish to the H1B imports.

From collecting & studying various German arms for years, I can speak a tiny bit of German and can read it well, including Sutterlin script.

I collected a lot of Finnish stuff, but that is the most impossible language to read or speak without being completely immersed in it.
Link Posted: 5/16/2021 8:03:17 AM EDT
[#11]
Monolingual...
Attachment Attached File

Ain't nobody use that word in a sentence.

I speak English and southern english.
Southern English is native to TN and KY.

I think I've overcome the southern English but no; all I've got to do is hear my voice on voice mail or speak to someone who is limited in southern English proficiency.

"I'll have a Coors Light"
Sorry sir what did you say?
"Coors Light"
I dont think we have that.
I point to it on menu Waitress visibly blushes.
I know, I talk southern.
Link Posted: 5/16/2021 8:14:33 AM EDT
[#12]
You give internationalista's an Inch, and they'll try to take a Meter...

BIGGER_HAMMER
Link Posted: 5/16/2021 8:29:01 AM EDT
[#13]
The top five L1 languages are Mandarin, Spanish, English, Hindi, and Portuguese.  Of those, only Spanish and Portuguese are considered relatively easy to learn.

The top five L2 languages are English, Hindi, Mandarin, French, and Urdu.  Of those, only French is considered relatively easy to learn.

The top five languages (L1 + L2) are English, Mandarin, Hindi, Spanish, and Arabic.  Of those, only Spanish is considered relatively easy to learn.

Given all that, it's easy to see why French, Spanish, and Portuguese are popular (and useful) L2 languages for English speakers.
Link Posted: 5/16/2021 8:45:53 AM EDT
[#14]
I should never have to press "1" for English.
Link Posted: 5/16/2021 8:47:10 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Who put a man on the moon first ?

English.

Imperial system of measurement.

Everybody else is a commie and can piss off.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/79948/sam-1943766.jpg

View Quote

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/16/2021 8:48:05 AM EDT
[#16]
Who is proud about speaking one language?  No one?
Link Posted: 5/16/2021 8:59:17 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
English is a core part of our heritage and having another widespread language would dilute that. Bilingualism is for conquered people
View Quote
I am proud of the achievements of the British, and then American empires in making English the dominant language of the world.
Link Posted: 5/16/2021 9:04:35 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

These classifications make sense. I am guessing most bilingual are either survival or intermediate at best.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Few people are balanced bilinguals meaning they are native speakers of two languages. Most are less fluent in their second language. The levels are Survival, Intermediate, Advanced, Superior, and Native speaker.

These classifications make sense. I am guessing most bilingual are either survival or intermediate at best.

Yep, you are correct. When we assess a person’s level of performance we have a basic conversation with them and rate it according to how normal it is. A person with survival skills will give short answers lacking grammatical rules. Ex: tell me about your family. “Wife, one boy. One girl.”

Someone with Superior skills will respond with details: “I’ve got a wife and a 9 year old son and daughter who is 6. Wife teaches 5th grade and loves to cook. The kids are involved in sports and really keep us busy.”
Link Posted: 5/16/2021 9:16:57 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Not true. Much harder to do, yes... but still not true.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
You generally have to learn a second language as a kid to really become fluent in it.

Not true. Much harder to do, yes... but still not true.

First poster is right. My field is bilingualism, developmental psycholinguistics. The brain is designed to learn languages without effort in the first six years of life. Trying to learn additional languages as an adult takes dedicated effort and a lot of time and resources. It’s not nearly as easy and one never attains native user competence, but you can come close.
Link Posted: 5/16/2021 9:40:38 AM EDT
[#20]
I can say "Stop or I'll shoot" in arabic, albanian, and serbian.  The government was quite insistent I learn those phrases.

I also have a little spanish.  Not enough to be conversational, but I can get the jist when people at work cannot speak english and do my best to help.  Generally all I have to do is give directions, but when I worked at a hospital several times I was able to get medical emergencies pushed through quickly instead of waiting for an interpreter to begin triage.
Link Posted: 5/16/2021 9:43:48 AM EDT
[#21]
In Texas, we can ALL order off the menu at a Mexican restaurant.
Link Posted: 5/16/2021 9:45:48 AM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 5/16/2021 9:55:00 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Yes
View Quote

Link Posted: 5/16/2021 10:08:59 AM EDT
[#24]
What do you call a person that speaks three languages?-  Trilingual

What do you call a person that speaks two languages?-  Bilingual

What do you call a person that speaks one language?-   American

Honestly it is all so tiring.  Americans don't speak more than one, because we don't have to.   We don't live in a country the size of a bathtub and English is basically the world language.

The vast majority of Chinese don't speak another other than Chinese (they are counting two types of Chinese as bilingual, BTW) and the vast majority of Russians only speak Russian.  But it is only the evil US that is the problem.

Link Posted: 5/16/2021 10:13:07 AM EDT
[#25]
I speak fluent Coalspeak with American English as a second language
Link Posted: 5/16/2021 10:44:34 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

ACTUALLY, it was nazis speaking German and using the metric system, but let’s not stop at details
View Quote

Diversity is our strength
Page / 4
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top