Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 4
Link Posted: 5/15/2021 1:55:04 PM EDT
[#1]
Hellers Brauhaus in Koln Germany.  It was my local, and had the best pork knuckle in town.
Link Posted: 5/15/2021 1:56:17 PM EDT
[#2]
Cafe Berlin, in Las Vegas.  Owned by German immigrants.
Link Posted: 5/15/2021 1:58:24 PM EDT
[#3]
Can't remember the name of it, but it was in either Thousand Oaks or Newbury Pk, CA. The old cook was out walking around making sure all was going well. My wife asked me what the patch was on his apron. It was the presidential seal. When he walked by we asked him about it. Turns out he was Reagan's chef while he was in the White House and he came with the Reagans back to CA and was the head chef at their ranch until he found himself out of work after Reagans death. He had photos on the wall with him and Reagan at both the White House and the ranch....so I didn't doubt him.

My wife asked if he'd like to sit down with us. He grabbed a bottle of wine and shared it with us while we ate. It was a cool experience and probably the best German food I've had in the States.
Link Posted: 5/15/2021 1:59:34 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Severus-Strube in Boppard Germany.
View Quote
If we're talking about actually in Germany, when I was at Spangdahlem AB, there was a glorious imbi just outside the base Stars and Stripes book store.  Just amazing.
Link Posted: 5/15/2021 2:00:32 PM EDT
[#5]
Schnitzel Platz, Glendale heights, IL
Link Posted: 5/15/2021 2:01:22 PM EDT
[#6]
There are a few good spots right around my apartment, but I also live in Germany

Honestly, German cuisine is pretty boring. I like schnitzel and sausages but it gets boring fast.
Link Posted: 5/15/2021 2:02:33 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
There are a few good spots right around my apartment, but I also live in Germany

Honestly, German cuisine is pretty boring. I like schnitzel and sausages but it gets boring fast.
View Quote
Poseur

Link Posted: 5/15/2021 2:04:18 PM EDT
[#8]
Kennedy's in Midvale.

I get the 'Ich bin ein Berliner' platter with a side of brains.
Link Posted: 5/15/2021 2:04:43 PM EDT
[#9]
Alt Landstuhl near Ramstein AB, but last year I found out they closed! Only place I've been to stateside is Bavarian Inn in Shepherdstown, WV, and I liked their "wild game" menu in the fall.
Link Posted: 5/15/2021 2:05:37 PM EDT
[#10]
Das Schnitzel House in Parma is really good.

Haven't been, but the newish Hofbrauhaus in downtown Cleveland is supposed to be excellent?

If Polish counts (I think it is close enough to German), then definitely Sokolowski's University Inn in Cleveland......
Link Posted: 5/15/2021 2:06:13 PM EDT
[#11]
Old Europe, Georgetown DC
Link Posted: 5/15/2021 2:11:22 PM EDT
[#12]
Maders in Milwaukee was the last good one I ate at.

Learned how to cook by a German master chef at The Golden Lamb in Lebanon OH. Their menu is nothing like it used to be when I worked there.

Also worked at The Black Forest in Sharonville, now closed. It was opened by Mr. Oktoberfest Zinzinnati himself, one of the founding members of that event. He taught me how to make spaetzle.

We have a local sauerkraut fest in the fall, lots of good German food there.

Now I wish I had some sauerkraut balls and good mustard.
Link Posted: 5/15/2021 2:14:49 PM EDT
[#13]
There was a good place on US 19 in New Port Richey Florida but they closed. Hoffbrauhaus is not bad for a chain. I remember the cream puffs from Schmidt's from when I was a kid. They haven't changed in 60 years.
Link Posted: 5/15/2021 2:19:07 PM EDT
[#14]
Been a while but I like the berghoff
Link Posted: 5/15/2021 2:24:31 PM EDT
[#15]
Frieberg's in Johnson City, Tennessee.

The owner moved to the community, opened the restaurant, and became a U.S. citizen. Fairly small, but known regionally for its authentic German cuisine.
Link Posted: 5/15/2021 2:25:53 PM EDT
[#16]
I used to go to the Berghoff whenever I was in Chitcago.

They closed up, but I heard they reopened.

Old school German restaurant
Link Posted: 5/15/2021 2:28:12 PM EDT
[#17]
Bier Garden in the arm pit of VA — Portsmouth.

438 High St.
Portsmouth, VA 23704
Link Posted: 5/15/2021 2:29:04 PM EDT
[#18]
What is/was the place in San Jose?

Looking out the window you would see the Union Jack flying from across the street at the Brit.

Link Posted: 5/15/2021 2:30:47 PM EDT
[#19]
Mentioned a few times already, but Maders was awsome.

I had a few boots of beer there, awsome place.
Link Posted: 5/15/2021 2:31:14 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
We have only one real German restaurant in San Diego - Kaiserhoff in Ocean Beach.  It's mediocre.  There used to be a couple of really good ones in La Jolla - The Rheinlander and the Bratskellar, but they're long gone.  German food just isn't a thing around here.  We have plenty of Mexican and seafood places, and a handful of good Italian restaurants.
View Quote

I would never call it a German restaurant, but have you been to Dan Diego’s in the PB area?  Their schnitzel was very good.  Lots of Euro type food
Link Posted: 5/15/2021 2:32:44 PM EDT
[#21]
I enjoy a nice Sauerbraten or Hassenpheffer with spatzel.

ETA:  We feed the wild rabbits in our backyard and have a bunch of 'em.   A Granola muffin type friend of our family was looking at the rabbits and remarking how cute the rabbits and the new baby rabbits that just came out of the burrow a week earlier were.  She was horrified when I told her that the little ones are really tasty, but it takes 4 or 5 to make a decent meal...  She obviously didn't understand my sarcastic sense of humor...we take care of the rabbits, we don't eat the ones we care for, it just wouldn't be fair.  

The wild rabbits around my place are so tame, if I throw a carrot out into the yard, they come out of the bushes and run toward the "thud" sound the carrot makes.  It would be unfair hunting over bait, and I'm not that hungry......yet.
Link Posted: 5/15/2021 2:34:18 PM EDT
[#22]
My Oma place in Mittelfranken
Link Posted: 5/15/2021 2:35:00 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
I wish it was closer to Roanoke. Sadly, we have no German restaurants here.
View Quote

Black Forest in Buchanan was good, especially if you like game meats, but closed a few years back.  
Link Posted: 5/15/2021 2:36:13 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
What is the other place on Bell Rd.?

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Haus Murphy's in downtown Glendale, AZ

What is the other place on Bell Rd.?

Edelweiss
Link Posted: 5/15/2021 2:36:49 PM EDT
[#25]
Bürgerbräu Keller in Munich
Link Posted: 5/15/2021 2:36:53 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Haus Murphy's in downtown Glendale, AZ

View Quote
OMG THIS!!!!
Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 5/15/2021 2:38:32 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Eidelweiss? Or however you spell the little white flower?
I haven't been there.
View Quote

I like their sauerkraut better than Haus Murphey’s, the rest of the food is pretty good, but doesn’t quite match up.
Link Posted: 5/15/2021 2:40:19 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

I like their sauerkraut better than Haus Murphey's, the rest of the food is pretty good, but doesn't quite match up.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Eidelweiss? Or however you spell the little white flower?
I haven't been there.

I like their sauerkraut better than Haus Murphey's, the rest of the food is pretty good, but doesn't quite match up.
I might go there tomorrow.
Link Posted: 5/15/2021 2:42:12 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Bavarian Lodge in Lisle, IL.
View Quote

+1

Try the liver dumpling soup
Link Posted: 5/15/2021 2:43:37 PM EDT
[#30]
The tavern called The Wooden Spoon in Sembach was our go-to for schnitzel in Germany.

Sebastians just outside JBDM in NJ that is fabulous (Allegedly a former AF pilot from Mcguire married a german woman and moved back to the states and they opened up the restaraunt).

https://www.enjoysebastians.com/
Link Posted: 5/15/2021 2:57:54 PM EDT
[#31]
Hotel, Restaurant, and a Bakery to die for.

http://wessinger.com/restaurant-werners/restaurant/
Link Posted: 5/15/2021 2:59:08 PM EDT
[#32]
I used to eat at one in Fredricksburg, TX. But last time I was there it was gone.
Link Posted: 5/15/2021 3:00:11 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
The tavern called The Wooden Spoon in Sembach was our go-to for schnitzel in Germany.

Sebastians just outside JBDM in NJ that is fabulous (Allegedly a former AF pilot from Mcguire married a german woman and moved back to the states and they opened up the restaraunt).

https://www.enjoysebastians.com/
View Quote

It's OK there, but place just before the bridge to Long Beach Island is better.
Link Posted: 5/15/2021 3:02:09 PM EDT
[#34]
Badenburg.  Owner is an awesome gal.

https://www.badenburg.de/
Link Posted: 5/15/2021 3:04:11 PM EDT
[#35]
The Alpine Village Restaurant - 833 W Torrance Blvd (recently designated a historical landmark, so ironically, the Bavarian-themed restaurant may be closed now).
Link Posted: 5/15/2021 3:12:24 PM EDT
[#36]
The Bavarian Chef
5102 S. Seminole Trail
Madison, VA 22727

Excellent family run place that has been there for years.

Old Europe in Washington, DC has been there for years and is also very good.
Link Posted: 5/15/2021 3:16:21 PM EDT
[#37]
Suppenkuche in San Francisco.

I think it's my favorite restaurant, period. It's really small, so you have to share tables with other diners, which sounds not great, but it has always been a fun good experience. The food's great and it's relatively cheap for fine dining.
Link Posted: 5/15/2021 3:16:56 PM EDT
[#38]
Cafe baunhoff in waynoka Oklahoma

Best around here is bohemian brewery in midvale ut
Link Posted: 5/15/2021 3:17:36 PM EDT
[#39]
Link Posted: 5/15/2021 3:56:27 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
The Alpine Village Restaurant - 833 W Torrance Blvd (recently designated a historical landmark, so ironically, the Bavarian-themed restaurant may be closed now).
View Quote

I remember the tv commercials for their Oktoberfest!
Link Posted: 5/15/2021 3:57:28 PM EDT
[#41]
Zur Kate in Mesa, AZ.
Link Posted: 5/15/2021 3:57:31 PM EDT
[#42]
Weinerschnitzel

I recommend the chili dog
Link Posted: 5/15/2021 4:00:03 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
We have only one real German restaurant in San Diego - Kaiserhoff in Ocean Beach.  It's mediocre.  There used to be a couple of really good ones in La Jolla - The Rheinlander and the Bratskellar, but they're long gone.  German food just isn't a thing around here.  We have plenty of Mexican and seafood places, and a handful of good Italian restaurants.
View Quote

True there are not many around.  There used to be a great one in San Antonio, but it closed after the owner died of breast cancer and the daughter sold the building.
Link Posted: 5/15/2021 4:03:42 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Weinerschnitzel

I recommend the chili dog
View Quote
Raus von hier!
Link Posted: 5/15/2021 4:05:53 PM EDT
[#45]
I've never been to a German restaurant because I'm a SquareHead, actually I've never seen one.
Link Posted: 5/15/2021 4:08:48 PM EDT
[#46]
Best one in my area.

http://www.gasthaus-cumming.com/

Link Posted: 5/15/2021 4:10:29 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Hofer's Helen, GA
View Quote

Outstanding choice sir!
Link Posted: 5/15/2021 4:19:53 PM EDT
[#48]
Andechs, Germany...the monistary...brewing since the 50's...1450's

Pork knuckle from there will be my last meal if I have a choice. Interestingly, Thursday I went to the place in Sanford OP mentioned...they have a store around back that carries bottled Andechs beer...but, at $4 a bottle, I'll stick to Landshark
Link Posted: 5/15/2021 4:30:22 PM EDT
[#49]
None in my area - not even a Der Weinerschitzel.
Link Posted: 5/15/2021 4:33:18 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

Black Forest in Buchanan was good, especially if you like game meats, but closed a few years back.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I wish it was closer to Roanoke. Sadly, we have no German restaurants here.

Yep, it broke my heart when they closed.

I'll swing by Wohlfahrt's in Wythville if I'm in the area, but their schnitzel is only so-so.
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top