User Panel

Page / 13
Link Posted: 5/15/2021 10:34:12 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 5/15/2021 10:36:48 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

This. The whole build is dumb and you couldn’t waste more money if you tried.

Why Colt springs and detents? Did you really feel like spending $50 on $6 worth of parts?

Why multiple optics that are poorly suited for the gun? Buy a single quality optic and leave it on the gun.

You could outfit two quality purpose built rifles for what you want to spend on one.
View Quote

I had these already no need to buy them.
I dont believe that a comp M3 or M4 primary optic is a bad choice for a 14.5
The other optic is just something I had and needed to find a use for. Same with the RMR and bipod.
You are forgetting that I have 90% of this rifle in boxes already.
The only major purchases is the aimpoint and expanding into NV capacity. That alone could buy 2-3 rifles but I already own 4 ARs. Only have 2 hands. I am trying to build one rifle that can function in two roles thus saving weight and not having to carry 2 purpose built rifles as you suggest (and that concept is stupid as you just need to build 2 uppers and one lower.)
Link Posted: 5/15/2021 10:39:21 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

Why Colt springs and detents? Did you really feel like spending $50 on $6 worth of parts?

Why multiple optics that are poorly suited for the gun? Buy a single quality optic and leave it on the gun.

You could outfit two quality purpose built rifles for what you want to spend on one.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I’ll be frank. Your build looks like a teenager went on the AR builder app, sorted each component for highest-priced, and selected them all. The comment about the scope was realistic. Binoculars and spotting scopes are your friend. A 1-6 or 1-8x would likely be far more up your alley.

Why is he including the cost of a “Gen 4” PVS-14 in his “rifle cost” calculation?  

Because this is his best attempt at a “look at how not poor I am guyz!” thread.  Nothing more, nothing less.  Practicality and suitability for a given task were never even considerations.
Link Posted: 5/15/2021 10:41:22 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Your build is a gross poor person build.

Build something nice instead.
View Quote

Lol

4.5k rifle built from quality parts is a poor man build..
15-20k invested on the whole system is for the poors.

Buy a kac because it's cheaper..

gotcha.

Link Posted: 5/15/2021 10:45:22 AM EDT
[#5]
OP - sounds like the perfect build for you!

Do not let the haters hate....

The only thing that I would change up would be the ambi safety...

I like the radian 45 degree....pick your color.

Red
Link Posted: 5/15/2021 10:47:20 AM EDT
[#6]
I'm not Tier 1 and I don't operate operationally so my stuff is lower on the boutique scale.
I don't start at the top and work my way down, I start at the bottom and work my way up to decent quality and good value.

If you like the build, go for it. I'm sure people would pick apart ones I've built. Don't care, I like them, they work and they cost what I was willing to pay.
Link Posted: 5/15/2021 10:52:56 AM EDT
[#7]
Although I've built some really nice rifles, I much prefer buying complete from a good company nowadays.

DD M4A1 unpin DD FH, pin Warcomp for SF can
ATACR 1-8
Modlite

or

SR15 Mod 2 14.5 p/w Mams with KAC CQB can
Kahles 1-6
SF 600

Link Posted: 5/15/2021 10:54:25 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Some people just like to throw their money away I guess.
View Quote

LMAO the irony of this comment. You’re the one piecing together the most expensive rifle on the planet with multiple unnecessary optics.

Tell me, have you ever stretched a 5.56 AR out more than a couple hundred yards? Especially a short one?  A 5-25 optic is useless and heavy on that rifle. A high end 1-6 or 1-8 will engage targets as far as you possibly can with the rifle and will weigh less and cost less.

If you think 8x magnification is going to limit your possible range with this gun, you need to shoot more and post less.  You’re not going to be shooting a thousand yards with a sub 16” 5.56 rifle.

And the rest of the gear is just ridiculous. Buy a 16” KAC rifle, put a high end 1-8 on it, and spend the rest on ammo.

Also, $75 stainless mags are stupid. If you don’t want polymer, buy metal mags but don’t waste $75 on them. They should be $12.
Link Posted: 5/15/2021 10:55:58 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 5/15/2021 10:56:55 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 5/15/2021 11:10:39 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Poor is a decision making process as well as a monetary thing.

Your build is poor in both ways.

I never said buy a KAC.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Lol

4.5k rifle built from quality parts is a poor man build..
15-20k invested on the whole system is for the poors.

Buy a kac because it's cheaper..

gotcha.

I never said buy a KAC.

I would add poor taste to the list.
Link Posted: 5/15/2021 11:11:30 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Why is he including the cost of a “Gen 4” PVS-14 in his “rifle cost” calculation?  

Because this is his best attempt at a “look at how not poor I am guyz!” thread.  Nothing more, nothing less.  Practicality and suitability for a given task were never even considerations.
View Quote

Wipe your chin.

If you really wanted to know why you would have asked me instead of shit posting.

The NVG setup was included as this was 2/3 the cost and the total I would be investing needed to be considered as a whole.
I've never owned nods but o have used them and have done my research.
I tried to encompass everything in this as a whole system evaluating everything down to even the weight.

If you have an opinion that is what I asked in this post
Please tell me what would you change that does not add equipment or excessive weight and does not reduce a single bit of capability from what I propose?

I would love to hear it.
Link Posted: 5/15/2021 11:11:54 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

I would hope he could afford real night vision, but I guess he spent all his money on poor build choices.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I would hope he could afford real night vision, but I guess he spent all his money on poor build choices.

Link Posted: 5/15/2021 11:11:55 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

I had these already no need to buy them.
I dont believe that a comp M3 or M4 primary optic is a bad choice for a 14.5
The other optic is just something I had and needed to find a use for. Same with the RMR and bipod.
You are forgetting that I have 90% of this rifle in boxes already.
The only major purchases is the aimpoint and expanding into NV capacity. That alone could buy 2-3 rifles but I already own 4 ARs. Only have 2 hands. I am trying to build one rifle that can function in two roles thus saving weight and not having to carry 2 purpose built rifles as you suggest (and that concept is stupid as you just need to build 2 uppers and one lower.)
View Quote

eta: post 1776 wasted.
Link Posted: 5/15/2021 11:16:55 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

I never said buy a KAC.
View Quote

As it was what I asked to begin with..

What would you do differently that would not add equipment or excessive weight and would not sacrifice a single bit of capacity from what I proposed.

Saying it Is dumb is hardly a way to effectively change someone's mind.

Not reduce one bit of capacity.
Link Posted: 5/15/2021 11:17:15 AM EDT
[#16]
Excellent build OP.  

The extra weight of a 25x scope will tire you out faster and keep you out of everyone else's way.

youbeststartbelievinintrollthreadsyoureinone.jpg
Link Posted: 5/15/2021 11:18:02 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Wipe your chin.

If you really wanted to know why you would have asked me instead of shit posting.

The NVG setup was included as this was 2/3 the cost and the total I would be investing needed to be considered as a whole.
I tried to encompass everything in this as a whole system evaluating everything down to even the weight.

Please tell me what would you change that does not add equipment or excessive weight and does not reduce a single bit of capability from what I propose?

I would love to hear it.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Wipe your chin.

I would love to hear it.

Link Posted: 5/15/2021 11:20:01 AM EDT
[#18]

Lol..

Reading is fun..
Link Posted: 5/15/2021 11:20:54 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

This. The whole build is dumb and you couldn't waste more money if you tried.

View Quote
Colt small parts are worth it.
Link Posted: 5/15/2021 11:27:53 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
View Quote

They absolutely are.

I'm just glad I bought mine in bulk 10-15 years ago.
Link Posted: 5/15/2021 11:27:55 AM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 5/15/2021 11:28:48 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

What would you do differently that would not add equipment or excessive weight and would not sacrifice a single bit of capacity from what I proposed.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I never said buy a KAC.

I thought you were a “big boy” and the weight didn’t matter.
Link Posted: 5/15/2021 11:29:52 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

View Quote

We’re telling you and you don’t want to hear it. What kind of person starts a threading asking people what they would do differently and then argues with those people?

1. A 1-8x scope instead of the dot, magnifier and 5-25. You save weight because it’s one optic and your effective range is exactly the same. If you think a 25x optic is going to let you shoot a 13.7” 5.56 rifle farther, you need to stop posting and go shooting more.

2. Drop the rail and put on a lighter, quality Mlok option. It’s not 1996 any more. There are better options. If versatility is what you want, Mlok offers it and is lighter.

3. Stop wasting money on small parts that don’t matter. Any quality brand gas tube is fine. It’s a tube with a hole. Any milspec lpk is fine. Colt does not make a better decent pin than anyone else. It’s just a tiny sliver of metal. You don’t need KNS pins if your hammer is installed correctly.

No one is saying the parts on your list aren’t quality, but a bunch of quality parts in a weird overpriced configuration doesn’t make it a quality build.
Link Posted: 5/15/2021 11:33:35 AM EDT
[#24]
OP is a human Navy Seal copy pasta.
Link Posted: 5/15/2021 11:34:04 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
View Quote

Please explain to me how a Colt detent pin and a spring are going to make a better rifle. He’s not talking about putting a Colt mag/bolt release/trigger/etc. Hes literally only using colt springs and detents according to his list. I can’t even fathom a possible situation in which Colt could make a better detent pin than anyone else.

Has anyone ever had a detent pin fail? Or a detent spring? They’re captured in the lower and don’t affect the function of the gun itself.
Link Posted: 5/15/2021 11:34:37 AM EDT
[#26]
double tap
Link Posted: 5/15/2021 11:37:17 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
I think it would be best to get quite a few hours of training from reputable trainers to open your eyes.

Your build is a parts list built out of ignorance. It's no different than the belly Shooters posting their wish list on a Precision Rifle board. No, your Savage 338 Lapua with a Vortex. isn't going to do well at a PRS match. You don't know what you don't know, but get angry when those that do point out the errors.
View Quote

It's funny you should say that because as of right now I haven't heard a single opinion that offers a valid counter argument to what I've proposed.
Even yourself saying that "it's just dumb"

I have guns that shoot out past 1000. What do you think this scope came off of? It sure as hell wasn't one of my deer rifles because they ALL rock Leupold.

Tell me.. what would you change that wouldn't add weight, add equipment, or sacrifice a single bit of capability.?

Saying its dumb isn't a valid argument.
Link Posted: 5/15/2021 11:40:24 AM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 5/15/2021 11:47:43 AM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 5/15/2021 11:50:17 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
lol
View Quote

Link Posted: 5/15/2021 11:55:43 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

We’re telling you and you don’t want to hear it. What kind of person starts a threading asking people what they would do differently and then argues with those people?

1. A 1-8x scope instead of the dot, magnifier and 5-25. You save weight because it’s one optic and your effective range is exactly the same. If you think a 25x optic is going to let you shoot a 13.7” 5.56 rifle farther, you need to stop posting and go shooting more.

2. Drop the rail and put on a lighter, quality Mlok option. It’s not 1996 any more. There are better options. If versatility is what you want, Mlok offers it and is lighter.

3. Stop wasting money on small parts that don’t matter. Any quality brand gas tube is fine. It’s a tube with a hole. Any milspec lpk is fine. Colt does not make a better decent pin than anyone else. It’s just a tiny sliver of metal. You don’t need KNS pins if your hammer is installed correctly.

No one is saying the parts on your list aren’t quality, but a bunch of quality parts in a weird overpriced configuration doesn’t make it a quality build.
View Quote

The lpvo sacrifices FOV, parallax, light collection and 70% of magnification over the scope and red dot. Reconnaissance and target identification are significantly diminished.  Aim small miss small. And target acquisition with a red dot is much faster than a LPVO
The RIS II is one of the most robust Rail systems ever developed.  Increased weight affords it the ability to take massive hits and not deform. Also the heat dissipating properties far exceed the smaller lightweight rail systems
Gas tubes and detents I consider personal preferences. I have always run KNS pins as piece of mind. Like those that argue for or against BUIS. A pin that walks out on you can put the gun out of service and can happen anytime or when you least expect it. It's good insurance.
Link Posted: 5/15/2021 12:04:20 PM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 5/15/2021 12:11:27 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

The lpvo sacrifices FOV, parallax, light collection and 70% of magnification over the scope and red dot. Reconnaissance and target identification are significantly diminished.  Aim small miss small. And target acquisition with a red dot is much faster than a LPVO
The RIS II is one of the most robust Rail systems ever developed.  Increased weight affords it the ability to take massive hits and not deform. Also the heat dissipating properties far exceed the smaller lightweight rail systems
Gas tubes and detents I consider personal preferences. I have always run KNS pins as piece of mind. Like those that argue for or against BUIS. A pin that walks out on you can put the gun out of service and can happen anytime or when you least expect it. It's good insurance.
View Quote

Every post shows me you have less of a clue what you are talking about.

What ranges do you expect to use this 13.7-14.5” rifle at where parallax and light collection become an issue with a LPVO?
Link Posted: 5/15/2021 12:13:45 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

I would recommend you invest in quality training. Take a few courses, then a TNVC course if you really want to get into night vision, then go through the Sears Wishbook.

I didn't read the whole thread, and I won't, but for what you sound like you want to do any Recce or SDMR style set up with a good barrel will do. Slap a 1-10 LPVO or a 3-18 on the upper end, and you're good to go.

A good rule of thumb is when 100 percent of people say something is dumb, it usually isn't because you're a visionary.
View Quote

Couldn't do it could you.. all you had to say was to switch to a less capable optics setup, that all you got to back up your claims?
Big round of applause.

We have a fanboy..
Just keep doing what others do and you will fit right in.

I remember in the early 2000s when someone put a lpvo on an AR and was called stupid.
Only weirdos put scopes on ARs in the 80s and 90s but a MK12 came out and the military M4 sniper program had everyone jumping on the band wagon.
6 months before that you were looked at as a nut for doing the same thing.  I know because I built an 18" spr with an original DD 12.0 lite rail and a 44mm off one of my M700s before SPRs were a thing.

But thanks for trying.
Link Posted: 5/15/2021 12:17:25 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

Couldn't do it could you.. all you had to say was to switch to a less capable optics setup, that all you got to back up your claims?
Big round of applause.

We have a fanboy..

I remember in the early 2000s when someone put a lpvo on an AR and was called stupid.No you don’t
Only weirdos put scopes on ARs in the 80s and 90s but a MK12 came out and the military M4 sniper program had everyone jumping on the band wagon.
6 months before that you were looked at as a nut for doing the same thing.  I know because I built an 18" spr with an original DD 12.0 lite rail and a 44mm off one of my M700s before SPRs were a thing. No you didn’t

But thanks for trying.
View Quote

But thanks for lying.
Link Posted: 5/15/2021 12:18:15 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

I pretty much have the whole rifle.
Like I said in my original post, I just pulled out a bunch of stuff I had and this is what I came up with
I was going to sell most of it but then I realized I had a whole rifle.

It Needs a gas tube. Thought I'd try one of the fancy ones because they are cheap.
I sold the Aero NiB bcg when I found out it wasn't C158 and decided to wait the price out.
Have over 30 mags, plenty of 77gr federal law enforcement .223 and black hills 5.56
Have the viper PST and RMR just need rings
Need to get another PR-4, troy grip, and a CQD rail sling mount, and sling.
I need a redot and mount.
Need IR Laser and NVGs.
View Quote

Did you pick out your 7,000 pvs 14 yet?

Must be some super cool spec ops unit.
Link Posted: 5/15/2021 12:21:00 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

Big round of applause.

We have a fanboy..

I remember in the early 2000s when someone put a lpvo on an AR and was called stupid.
6 months before that you were looked at as a nut for doing the same thing.  I know because I built an 18" spr with an original DD 12.0 lite rail and a 44mm off one of my M700s before SPRs were a thing.

But thanks for trying.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I would recommend you invest in quality training. Take a few courses, then a TNVC course if you really want to get into night vision, then go through the Sears Wishbook.

I didn't read the whole thread, and I won't, but for what you sound like you want to do any Recce or SDMR style set up with a good barrel will do. Slap a 1-10 LPVO or a 3-18 on the upper end, and you're good to go.

A good rule of thumb is when 100 percent of people say something is dumb, it usually isn't because you're a visionary.

Big round of applause.

We have a fanboy..

But thanks for trying.

Attachment Attached File

From what I’ve read on anything related to long distance shooting here on arfcom, skg is one of the guys to listen to when he gives advice.
I do like how you keep dodging the question from other members about how far out do you plan on shooting this 13.7” build of yours?
Link Posted: 5/15/2021 12:21:22 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Excellent build OP.  

The extra weight of a 25x scope will tire you out faster and keep you out of everyone else's way.

View Quote

You're forgetting he's a big guy and kinda scary
Link Posted: 5/15/2021 12:21:59 PM EDT
[#39]
How this ends, is with a Strike Eagle on the build.
Link Posted: 5/15/2021 12:22:27 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

View Quote

He hasn’t dug them out from his boxes with the rest of his parts he claims he already has.
Link Posted: 5/15/2021 12:22:40 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

All of it.
View Quote

Link Posted: 5/15/2021 12:22:47 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

What ranges do you expect to use this 13.7-14.5” rifle at where parallax and light collection become an issue with a LPVO?
View Quote

"at where parallax and light collection"?

Which has less parallax?
Lpvo or red dot

Does the lpvo have less magnification than the scope I propose?

Will a 50mm collect twice the light that a 24mm lpvo will?

Will the FOV be larger at the same magnification when compared?

Is target acquisition faster with a redot opposed to an lpvo?

Are lpvos true 1X
Link Posted: 5/15/2021 12:25:41 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I pretty much have the whole rifle.
Like I said in my original post, I just pulled out a bunch of stuff I had and this is what I came up with
I was going to sell most of it but then I realized I had a whole rifle.

It Needs a gas tube. Thought I'd try one of the fancy ones because they are cheap.
I sold the Aero NiB bcg when I found out it wasn't C158 and decided to wait the price out.
Have over 30 mags, plenty of 77gr federal law enforcement .223 and black hills 5.56
Have the viper PST and RMR just need rings
Need to get another PR-4, troy grip, and a CQD rail sling mount, and sling.
I need a redot and mount.
Need IR Laser and NVGs.

But it’s “Gen 4.”
Link Posted: 5/15/2021 12:26:29 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Excellent build OP.  

I don't doubt it at all
Link Posted: 5/15/2021 12:27:19 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

Which has less parallax?
Lpvo or red dot

Are lpvos true 1X
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Which has less parallax?
Lpvo or red dot

Are lpvos true 1X

Spoken like someone who has more experience reading the “on paper” numbers instead of actually getting out and using the equipment.

How far are you planning on making hits with this gun?

Are you planning on rifle mounting this “Gen 4” PVS-14?
Link Posted: 5/15/2021 12:27:19 PM EDT
[#46]
Was afraid this thread would die overnight.....so glad it didn't
Link Posted: 5/15/2021 12:28:25 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

Which has less parallax?
Lpvo or red dot

Are lpvos true 1X
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Which has less parallax?
Lpvo or red dot

Are lpvos true 1X

You didn’t answer the question. What range aka distance do you plan to use this wonder rifle at where the lack of adjustable parallax and diminished light gathering ability becomes an issue?
Link Posted: 5/15/2021 12:38:37 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

/media/mediaFiles/sharedAlbum/giphy-84.gif

From what I’ve read on anything related to long distance shooting here on arfcom, skg is one of the guys to listen to when he gives advice.
I do like how you keep dodging the question from other members about how far out do you plan on shooting this 13.7” build of yours?
View Quote

Not dodging it.

But if you have to ask about the ballistics you probably are not some one that I would take advise from.
The effective range while retaining terminal performance is all that matters. But stretch its legs a little bit and it will still fucking hurt something.

The magnification is greater than what you normally see but it has its benefits and advantages.
Many use just such a scope on barrels only 3.5" longer. The velocity decrease is negligible.

There are some good shots out there that can shoot really well with just irons. One guy I know comes to mind that shoots an M1A.
Put them behind a scope and see what they can do then.

Link Posted: 5/15/2021 12:40:36 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

Please explain to me how a Colt detent pin and a spring are going to make a better rifle. He's not talking about putting a Colt mag/bolt release/trigger/etc. Hes literally only using colt springs and detents according to his list. I can't even fathom a possible situation in which Colt could make a better detent pin than anyone else.

Has anyone ever had a detent pin fail? Or a detent spring? They're captured in the lower and don't affect the function of the gun itself.
View Quote
Junk materials, junk coatings, junk spring rates.  I've bought budget LPKs from big names with coatings I could flake off with my fingernail and springs and pins that smashed like warm butter. What's an extra $25-$40 per rifle to have it correct?
Link Posted: 5/15/2021 12:40:38 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

Not dodging it.

But if you have to ask about the ballistics you probably are not some one that I would take advise from.
The effective range while retaining terminal performance is all that matters. But stretch its legs a little bit and it will still fucking hurt something.

The magnification is greater than what you normally see but it has its benefits and advantages.
Many use just such a scope on barrels only 3.5" longer. The velocity decrease is negligible.

There are some good shots out there that can shoot really well with just irons. One guy I know comes to mind that shoots an M1A.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

/media/mediaFiles/sharedAlbum/giphy-84.gif

Not dodging it.

More dodging.

Page / 13
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top