Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 20
Link Posted: 5/17/2021 11:12:50 AM EDT
[#1]
It just blew through the first support level and is bouncing off the 2nd, if it goes through 1320 or so today, next stop is going to be like 1250, then if it blows through that, pretty much a free fall.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/17/2021 12:11:01 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
It just blew through the first support level and is bouncing off the 2nd, if it goes through 1320 or so today, next stop is going to be like 1250, then if it blows through that, pretty much a free fall.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/277411/lumber_5_17_PNG-1945636.JPG
View Quote

lets cross our fingers. I have lots of stuff to get done summer since last summer was lost due to job uncertainty.
Link Posted: 5/17/2021 12:13:16 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

View Quote
My body is ready.
Link Posted: 5/17/2021 12:21:51 PM EDT
[#4]
Cool.

Maybe I can replace my deck this summer after all.
Link Posted: 5/17/2021 12:23:17 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

View Quote

I appreciate your updates on this. We’ve delayed our home build because of this BS. Enjoying that ridiculous number coming down.
Link Posted: 5/17/2021 12:24:06 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

lets cross our fingers. I have lots of stuff to get done summer since last summer was lost due to job uncertainty.
View Quote

Quoted:
My body is ready.
View Quote

same here....I have a loft to build...

But I am fullying expecting it to carry out the other half of the head and shoulders pattern....I would be shocked if it didn't
Link Posted: 5/17/2021 12:24:18 PM EDT
[#7]
So glad I bought $8k worth 2 weeks ago
Link Posted: 5/17/2021 12:25:10 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

I appreciate your updates on this. We’ve delayed our home build because of this BS. Enjoying that ridiculous number coming down.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yep...it's not really sustainable long term to have lumber this high. There really is little juice to squeeze out of the housing market. mortgage Rates cant really compress that much more.
Link Posted: 5/17/2021 12:25:28 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
So glad I bought $8k worth 2 weeks ago
View Quote

damn...
Link Posted: 5/17/2021 12:27:19 PM EDT
[#10]
Just remember, retail prices don't drop nearly as fast as the underlying commodity. Super high prices are with us for at least 4 - 8 weeks. Maybe then they'll drop to just 'High'.
Link Posted: 5/17/2021 12:29:03 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Just remember, retail prices don't drop nearly as fast as the underlying commodity. Super high prices are with us for at least 4 - 8 weeks. Maybe then they'll drop to just 'High'.
View Quote

if the inventory managers of the lumber yards are doing their job, retail should start to come down farily quickly.

Now if you have the ass hats at lowes and HD that loaded up at the top, their prices are gonna hand up there a while despite the local lumber yards bringing them to the woodshed.
Link Posted: 5/17/2021 12:29:22 PM EDT
[#12]
Good.  Maybe I will be able to afford a fence this year.
Link Posted: 5/17/2021 12:32:23 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

In the lumber industry.

Mills are still taking whatever trash Is sent and paying stupid money for it.

View Quote

So you're saying you've got wood all the time?
Link Posted: 5/17/2021 12:32:36 PM EDT
[#14]
It's a dicey commodity right now, and charts only respect technical analysis until they don't.
Link Posted: 5/17/2021 12:34:09 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
It's a dicey commodity right now, and charts only respect technical analysis until they don't.
View Quote

If my quant model told you that Santa Claus as coming to town, then you'd better hang up your stocking.
Link Posted: 5/17/2021 12:35:20 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Cool.

View Quote

No shit there. Planned on replacing my second story 8x16 deck late last winter, but prices were way up there. Hopefully I can make it a fall project.
Link Posted: 5/17/2021 12:35:33 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

If my quant model told you that Santa Claus as coming to town, then you'd better hang up your stocking.
View Quote

Maybe, we'll see. The companies aren't upping production by any significant numbers and the demand isn't shrinking.
Link Posted: 5/17/2021 12:38:16 PM EDT
[#18]
Plus retail prices are a lot stickier than the traded commodity price.

1700 never got priced in since it was there so briefly. There might be less room to fall than you think if things stabilize in the 1200-1400 range.
Link Posted: 5/17/2021 12:38:30 PM EDT
[#19]
Ya know.....

Hurricane season is about 15 days away.....

one or two good storms and we are off to the races.....

Red
Link Posted: 5/17/2021 12:42:08 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Cool.

View Quote

I’ve got a deck / solarium project bouncing around in my head.  Got a stupid estimate for the solarium out of aluminum, so I’m back to wood and DIY.   Maybe this year is back in the realm of what is possible.
Link Posted: 5/17/2021 12:43:00 PM EDT
[#21]
Need it to crash
Link Posted: 5/17/2021 1:04:20 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Need it to crash
View Quote

its going to the mills aren't dumb, that's why they aren't expanding.
Link Posted: 5/17/2021 1:34:36 PM EDT
[#23]
Some of the local mills have had loggers on quotas here for a while.  The loggers have seen no increase and if they could get the mills to take more they would.  I think majority of this is strictly the mills, whether it's not enough employees to keep up with demand or just an attempt to capitalize while the getting is good.
Link Posted: 5/17/2021 6:52:50 PM EDT
[#24]
Tag to watch
Link Posted: 5/17/2021 7:00:25 PM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 5/17/2021 7:06:22 PM EDT
[#26]
Just wait until lumber pulls back and then Lennar or other homebuilders charge in to lock in the next year of prices.  Demand will ensure high prices and low interest rates are here for another year and there is no sight in end for city dwellers moving to the country.
Link Posted: 5/17/2021 7:48:40 PM EDT
[#27]

9% tarriff
Link Posted: 5/17/2021 10:58:55 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Just wait until lumber pulls back and then Lennar or other homebuilders charge in to lock in the next year of prices.  Demand will ensure high prices and low interest rates are here for another year and there is no sight in end for city dwellers moving to the country.
View Quote

Well fuck them and their re-grown garbage anyway.

ICF for perimeter walls and metal for the interiors and if I can figure a way around a wood sub-floor and roof, they can eat the bug infested, fire hazard shit.

Hopefully the greedy motherfuckers will have already priced themselves right out of the market.

fixt
Link Posted: 5/17/2021 11:09:42 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

ICF for perimeter walls and metal for the interiors and if I can figure a way around a wood sub-floor and roof, they can eat the bug infested, fire hazard shit.

Hopefully the greedy motherfuckers will have already priced themselves right out of the market.

fixt
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

fixt

There already is a way around wood subfloor and roof sheating.

Look up Coosa composite board. It's expensive, but it will not rot and bug can't eat it.
Link Posted: 5/17/2021 11:33:36 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

Look up Coosa composite board. It's expensive, but it will not rot and bug can't eat it.
View Quote

It is freaking insanely expensive

Bluewater 20 Series Marine Board
Coosa Composites
Bluewater 20 Heavy Duty Reinforced Composite Board - Standard Sheets

Bluewater 20 Series 4' x 8' Sheet - 3/4" Thick (40 lb); Min

$263.00 a sheet
Link Posted: 5/17/2021 11:40:14 PM EDT
[#31]
you can do ICF concrete floors and roofs, just adds to build time as shoring needs to stay a good while.
How to Pour ICF Decking - BuildDeck

Insul-deck pitched concrete roof pt 5
Link Posted: 5/17/2021 11:51:26 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

you do see the left hand side of a head and shoulders pattern dont you?

And there are a slew of data points, the left of a H&S pattern, the mean line, i.e. eventually mean reversion will occur, fibonachi retracement, etc
View Quote
Peepeepoopoo
Link Posted: 5/18/2021 12:04:41 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/277411/lumber_5_17_PNG-1945636.JPG.
View Quote
Thanks for this thread, updates etc., really appreciate your insight.
Link Posted: 5/18/2021 9:00:30 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

Coosa Composites

$263.00 a sheet
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Coosa Composites

$263.00 a sheet

buy once cry once
Link Posted: 5/18/2021 9:00:55 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Peepeepoopoo
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

you do see the left hand side of a head and shoulders pattern dont you?

And there are a slew of data points, the left of a H&S pattern, the mean line, i.e. eventually mean reversion will occur, fibonachi retracement, etc
Peepeepoopoo

Link Posted: 5/18/2021 9:06:27 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/277411/lumber_5_17_PNG-1945636.JPG.

anytime.....I am just trying to give people hope that the lumber pain is gonna ease eventually.
Link Posted: 5/18/2021 9:11:41 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
anytime.....I am just trying to give people hope that the lumber pain is gonna ease eventually.
View Quote

Please keep updating.  This lumber issue needs to get back to 2019 pricing.
Link Posted: 5/18/2021 9:14:56 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
We will see.
Paid $38 3 weeks ago for 7/16 OSB for a home. Yesterday it was at $52 and my salesman said they expected close to $60 sheet within the next week or so.
View Quote

Paid $21 a sheet in October.  Thought I was getting raped then.

Link Posted: 5/18/2021 9:17:15 AM EDT
[#39]
Should I wait to build a small shed? Price for a 8x10 with T11 is $2960. That is a 2x6 floor with 3/4" plywood and 2x4 for the structure. Everything included. Same price a few years ago we got a quote for $2100.
Link Posted: 5/18/2021 9:18:27 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Should I wait to build a small shed? Price for a 8x10 with T11 is $2960. That is a 2x6 floor with 3/4" plywood and 2x4 for the structure. Everything included. Same price a few years ago we got a quote for $2100.
View Quote

up to you, is the extra $800 a big deal?

Link Posted: 5/18/2021 9:20:23 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

View Quote

I'm just being a cheapass. Don't need the shed ASAP, as stuff its in the garage well enough. That extra $800 could go towards putting a nice new toy in the shed as well. But if we don't think prices won't get better til lets say the fall then I'd rather not wait.
Link Posted: 5/18/2021 9:20:56 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
View Quote

8x10 feet is probably too small.
Link Posted: 5/18/2021 9:22:28 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

8x10 feet is probably too small.
View Quote

Yes very true, but we don't have a big lot only 16,000sqft and it's better than nothing lol.
Link Posted: 5/18/2021 9:24:48 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

his wifes dad is a professional home builder. they simply did not expect or were able to afford the soaring lumber pricing as the build progressed.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

sounds like they need to learn how to be carpenters.

his wifes dad is a professional home builder. they simply did not expect or were able to afford the soaring lumber pricing as the build progressed.

Labor is only part of the problem.  Wiring, PVC, Sheetrock, and windows have started to catch up with the crazy lumber prices. Let’s talk paint prices/shortages...

Link Posted: 5/18/2021 9:31:50 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

I'm just being a cheapass. Don't need the shed ASAP, as stuff its in the garage well enough. That extra $800 could go towards putting a nice new toy in the shed as well. But if we don't think prices won't get better til lets say the fall then I'd rather not wait.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

you can always wait and build a bigger shed.

I just built a 30x40 and I should have gone bigger.
Link Posted: 5/18/2021 9:32:07 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

Labor is only part of the problem.  Wiring, PVC, Sheetrock, and windows have started to catch up with the crazy lumber prices. Let’s talk paint prices/shortages...

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

sounds like they need to learn how to be carpenters.

copper is retarded expensive
Link Posted: 5/18/2021 9:51:42 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
We will see.
Paid $38 3 weeks ago for 7/16 OSB for a home. Yesterday it was at $52 and my salesman said they expected close to $60 sheet within the next week or so.
View Quote

And 3 years ago it was $15/sheet. It's just insanity.

I've property and trees. For the cost of 33 sheets of 3/4 ply, I can buy a portable mill and make as much lumber as I can grow. THAT's just nuts.
Link Posted: 5/18/2021 9:55:23 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

I've property and trees. For the cost of 33 sheets of 3/4 ply, I can buy a portable mill and make as much lumber as I can grow. THAT's just nuts.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
We will see.

Unfortunately, lumber doesn’t grow very fast
Link Posted: 5/18/2021 10:03:05 AM EDT
[#49]
looking out on futures pricing we have some contango going on, which just means that we have an inverted futures curve and that todays lumber spot prices are higher than lumber futures prices down the road.

If we remember from back pre 2014 when oil was a hot commodity, USO and the other ETFs that traded futures were getting smoked because of this.

When you have an inverted futures curve like this, to the point where we are, prices tend to fall steeply, because those who are buying short term contracts for much higher than contracts further out eventually need to cover their positions or take delivery.

Either way is normally a losing proposition.

Attachment Attached File

1 year out and the market has spot 30% less than what it is today.
Link Posted: 5/18/2021 10:50:54 AM EDT
[#50]
Loggers here are burying or burning dozens of log trucks worth of logs every day, and have been doing it for months.  FEMA says that trees or logs that had any ash on them must be destroyed because of ash contamination.
Page / 20
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top