Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

A valid email is required.
Password is required.
Site Notices
Posted: 5/23/2001 12:44:34 AM EDT
I have spent a couple hundred dollars with Paypal, and now they want REAL information.... These guys already have a VALID CC, and name, address, etc... They want bank account info. I dont know about you guys, but to me thats just a little too much damn information for one group of service related strangers to have. JCPennys or Wal-Mart (Just for you SS), ALSO service suppliers have NEVER asked for my bank account. How much of a sheeple do they expect us to be? Follow them to database filling proportions? I dont think so. Does anyone else feel like this is just WAY too damn much? As conveinient as it is, as lazy as I am, I am DONE with Paypal UNLESS there is an option. They have my CC, they get their money, thats enough as far as I am concerned.....
Link Posted: 5/23/2001 1:11:46 AM EDT
Paypal has a limit when you start out. It might be $100 or $200. Once you hit that number you need to be validated with a real bank account. This is done for many reasons the main one being Credit Card Fraud is very easy to do over the Internet. If they have a validated Name, Address, Telephone Number and Bank account that matches all of the above it would be a good security measure to assume you are who you say you are. don't know about you but if they didn't ask for all that info I think I would be worried. I have been using Paypal over a year and monitor every transaction and have NEVER had an issue or problem.I feel safe having people paying me for goods I sell on Ebay etc that I will have some recourse to go after the person if Fraud occurs. John
Link Posted: 5/23/2001 1:15:16 AM EDT
If they ever demand DNA, piss in their face!
Link Posted: 5/23/2001 1:30:31 AM EDT
I use paypal frequently. I transfer sums of money up to 10,000 dollars to and from my regular bank account on a regular basis. Hell, they even sent me a debit/mastercard so I have instant access to my money, and give me 1.5% back on all my purchases to offset the fees they charge for their service. The only way they require your checking account info is if you want to set up a premier account. No info required for a personal account. This also confirms your address, so that if you never receive what you pay for you can get your money back. I couldn't imagine not being protected from fraudulent sellers at the expense of not giving my bank info TO ANOTHER BANK!! It's that simple. Paypal is just another bank. It's just a helluva lot simpler than the "real ones" you have to drive to. They will even give you 3.5 % interest on your funds.
Link Posted: 5/23/2001 1:51:14 AM EDT
I used the same credit card for Internet purchases for the past 6 years. I always used secure sites. About a year ago fraudulent charges began appearing on my statement (usually CD purchases in Europe). After about 9 months of this, I demanded that the credit card company cancel my card and issue me a new card and account number. They finally did, but I got the feeling they really didn’t feel it was necessary; just the cost of doing business I guess. I never paid for any of those fraudulent charges of course. In any case, anything they can do to prevent this kind of stuff is a good thing in my mind. However, at the same time I don’t feel comfortable giving my personal information away.
Link Posted: 5/23/2001 2:18:23 AM EDT
The credit card option is just a convenient way to start using PayPal. To actually use PayPal for any large amount, you have to use electronic funds transfer.
Link Posted: 5/23/2001 5:24:52 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 5/23/2001 5:23:22 AM EDT by CavVet]
'Those who would sacrifice a little temporary freedom for personal security deserve neither'..... I KNOW you guys have seen this before....... I am NEVER more amazed, then when I see my brothers in here, espousing antis rhetoric.... Same EXACT words, diff subject...
Link Posted: 5/23/2001 5:53:21 AM EDT
Yep, I hate giving out to much info, but I feel it's worth it with PayPal. The convience and protection it offers offsets the minor risks. I now have the option of paying for things directly from my checking account or from a CC. I can deposit payments directly into my bank account, no waiting for a check in the mail. Overall, well worth it to me.
Top Top