User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 7
Link Posted: 4/14/2021 10:52:31 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Morah Kansbul or Garberg

Garberg is the pull tang version so probably a bit better as a do all knife, but I've got the Kansbul as a lightweight backpacking/hunting knife and have no issues batoning wood, etc with it despite the partial tang.
View Quote

I was going to mention the Kansbol ~ it's a heck of a knife for $35, a bit more than double that for the full-tang Garberg.

Downside of either is the hanging scabbard style sheath.
Link Posted: 4/14/2021 10:53:33 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

I dunno what this is or who made it, but it's tickling my no-no zone.
View Quote

https://www.worktuffgear.com/product-page/puzon-wilderness-bowie-sk85

Made in Taiwan, but they seem like a great company overall.
Link Posted: 4/14/2021 11:00:05 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

Did you shrink it in the wash or is that just the aspect?

For my money Becker tweener, or an ESEE 4-6.  Most knife use is more practical than pokey; but those are all plenty pokey and much more practical.
View Quote

Lmao, def did not shrink!!! My hands are pretty large and the angle I guess? It’s a full size and sharp!
Link Posted: 4/14/2021 11:01:46 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
M9 bayonet, if not actually intending to use it as a bayonet.

Corrosion resistant, has some decent functions, full tang, and decent crossguard, and made in USA.  And it can be a mediocre bayonet if you just have to have one.
View Quote

I would definitely say that the M9 is NOT full tang.  Agree with everything else you posted, but would not be my choice for a survival knife.
Link Posted: 4/14/2021 11:02:56 PM EDT
[#5]
This place costs me money
Link Posted: 4/14/2021 11:15:59 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I have talked to people who ran into crazies out in the wild, so there is that.
View Quote

If I ran into crazies out in the wild I'd rather have a Cold Steel camp shovel with a good edge on the metal.

Attachment Attached File

and some heat!
Link Posted: 4/14/2021 11:20:36 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I went Gerber Strongarm since it is there for rare occasions and it has yet to get a negative review from what I see. $65 for a tacticool-survivalist-camp knife.
View Quote

I didn't get one for survival, but on a recommendation from ARFcom I picked up one for a PC...and I'll be damned if it isn't perfect in that role.  Honestly, a nice little blade.

I'm not really a fan of Gerbers, due to the ones I owned in the '80's (the LMF and BMF were much different then).  The StrongArm, however, is really a nicely designed budget blade...and by budget, I don't mean quality.
Link Posted: 4/14/2021 11:22:57 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Threads like this one are filled with nothing but pictures of 400 dollar safe queens.  Flash!!  There is no do all knife.  If you want something useful, get a Morakniv, and a decent Leatherman or Gerber tool.  
View Quote

I swear, it's impossible to have a knife thread without some nimrod whipping out their fucking Gerber.  Goddamn things do one thing well:  Separate people who don't know better from $50 bills.   They sure as shit don't emulate pliers, screwdrivers, crimpers, knives or anything else well.

It's like we have a "what dog is best" thread and someone shows up bragging about their ferret.  Just because it has fur and teeth and eats it's own puke that don't make it a dog.    
Link Posted: 4/14/2021 11:24:02 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

I didn't get one for survival, but on a recommendation from ARFcom I picked up one for a PC...and I'll be damned if it isn't perfect in that role.  Honestly, a nice little blade.

I'm not really a fan of Gerbers, due to the ones I owned in the '80's (the LMF and BMF were much different then).  The StrongArm, however, is really a nicely designed budget blade...and by budget, I don't mean quality.
View Quote

Some miracle happened and Gerber managed to not screw up the Strongarm. It really is a good knife for the money. They should offer the same knife in different blade sizes and steels. I'd almost like to see it in thinner blade stock or flat grind to cut some weight. The exact same knife but with a 5-6 inch blade would be neat. I hope this means Gerber is turning their company around.
Link Posted: 4/14/2021 11:25:56 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

I swear, it's impossible to have a knife thread without some nimrod whipping out their fucking Gerber.  Goddamn things do one thing well:  Separate people who don't know better from $50 bills.   They sure as shit don't emulate pliers, screwdrivers, crimpers, knives or anything else well.

It's like we have a "what dog is best" thread and someone shows up bragging about their ferret.  Just because it has fur and teeth and eats it's own puke that don't make it a dog.    
View Quote

I can't say I disagree with you on most of Gerber's products, but the Strongarm and one or two of their other recent fixed blade offerings are pretty good. They even managed to do a solid job on their heat treat of 440c and it performs pretty well.
Link Posted: 4/14/2021 11:26:07 PM EDT
[#11]

Crocodile Dundee just looked over my shoulder at this knife and smiled from ear to ear.
Link Posted: 4/14/2021 11:28:01 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Crocodile Dundee just looked over my shoulder at this knife and smiled from ear to ear.
View Quote

https://www.worktuffgear.com/product-page/puzon-wilderness-bowie-sk85

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ud3yWETkTXU
Link Posted: 4/14/2021 11:28:30 PM EDT
[#13]
I like the ka-bar warthog.

Link Posted: 4/14/2021 11:36:58 PM EDT
[#14]
I gotta say...Ontario Knife Company seems like they've been in my head lately.  They kinda make what I like: overly-built, way too thick, ridiculously sized "monster-killer" knives (honorable mention to the wonderful Kabar BK series).

It's obvious I don't use knives in the woods all that much and just play with them while I watch zombie movies...but this one has been getting played with a lot.  I'm not finding any issues with it (and yes, I know GD doesn't like tantos.  I do).

It's the OKC "Ranger".  Also comes in a spear point, I believe.

I believe I paid ...$89? for mine, though it's an earlier version and has wood grips vice micarta.

ETA: I do have one little bitch.  I could wish that it had more of a finger guard.  There's jimping on the back of the blade near the handle, but the grip and blade design gives me a little shiver of "you're gonna slice your fingers open when you thrust with this!".

Something like this:

Link Posted: 4/14/2021 11:39:13 PM EDT
[#15]
Glock.
Link Posted: 4/14/2021 11:51:19 PM EDT
[#16]
Funny.   I recently bought this...

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/14/2021 11:57:58 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
I gotta say...Ontario Knife Company seems like they've been in my head lately.  They kinda make what I like: overly-built, way too thick, ridiculously sized "monster-killer" knives (honorable mention to the wonderful Kabar BK series).

It's obvious I don't use knives in the woods all that much and just play with them while I watch zombie movies...but this one has been getting played with a lot.  I'm not finding any issues with it (and yes, I know GD doesn't like tantos.  I do).

It's the OKC "Ranger".  Also comes in a spear point, I believe.

https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/31KL-dwg0mL._AC_.jpg

I believe I paid ...$89? for mine, though it's an earlier version and has wood grips vice micarta.

ETA: I do have one little bitch.  I could wish that it had more of a finger guard.  There's jimping on the back of the blade near the handle, but the grip and blade design gives me a little shiver of "you're gonna slice your fingers open when you thrust with this!".

Something like this:

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/166803/modified_ranger-1905396.jpg
View Quote

Got a welder and an angle grinder?
Link Posted: 4/14/2021 11:58:11 PM EDT
[#18]
This thread tells me I need more knives.

My basics are covered with a couple Moras, a Seal Pup Elite, and a TOPS Sierra Scout (shorter blade with a big belly). Maybe it’s time to shop for some larger blades.

If I had to ride into the sunset tomorrow with only one knife, I’d crack open the safe and get my dad’s old Buck Nemo dive knife.
Link Posted: 4/15/2021 12:05:27 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Got a welder and an angle grinder?
View Quote

I do...Do you think it's far enough away from the blade that I won't screw up the heat treating?
Link Posted: 4/15/2021 12:12:25 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
If I had to ride into the sunset tomorrow with only one knife, I’d crack open the safe and get my dad’s old Buck Nemo dive knife.
View Quote

You might find this interesting: Long story short, I talked a couple of SEALs lounging behind a carrier island waiting for their helo to come up into showing me their "official SEAL knife".  Turns out there wasn't an "official" SEAL knife--they used what they wanted.
This knife--a Buck Intrepid Tanto--was what the two I engaged with were carrying.  This was mid-'90s in the Gulf.

The picture doesn't show it, but this was when CAD and CNC was still kinda new for a bunch of folks, and the knife designer fucked up--the pattern for the serrations is actually backwards.  You can see what it was supposed to be on the blade.  The actual serrations are the other side of the pattern.
In effect, it made a bunch of half-circle serrations, instead of sawteeth...but the men I talked to said it cut rope well.

Here's a better pic of the serrations:

I had to buy one as soon as I could.  It's become my dive knife of choice, if for no other reason that it's cool as fuck, stainless, and easily cleaned.  I don't think they've been in production for years.
Link Posted: 4/15/2021 12:27:50 AM EDT
[#21]

I don't like mine.  It is certainly solid, but I would rather have a Mora companion.
Link Posted: 4/15/2021 12:33:42 AM EDT
[#22]
I won a sweet Matt Helm knife from cola warrior. I use it for lots of stuff and I think it would do all I needed.
Link Posted: 4/15/2021 12:36:40 AM EDT
[#23]
Large bowie chopper for survival/bushcraft/combat. Pocket knife for fine tasks, camping. Nothing fancy just a Buck or Gerber folder. That little Gerber us1 has become my favorite carry everywhere knife, also like the Buck Bantam. The Cold Steel Bushman bowie is dirt cheap and is supposed to be strong. I like my usaf and kbar knives. Mainly to throw in a pack or bugout bag.
Link Posted: 4/15/2021 12:45:58 AM EDT
[#24]
If I have to be honest, the knife I will be carrying is what I'm carrying on a daily basis anyway.

Benchmade Phaeton.

I know its not technically an survival knife, but it's MY survival knife when SHTF because it's always on me at all times - I carry it everywhere except when I'm in South Carolina .  I might not always have the chance to grab a bigger, more robust knife. I do have a KaBar but rarely utilize it, and I use my Phaeton for everything. Even used it for cutting small wood limbs.

Link Posted: 4/15/2021 12:54:19 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

I do...Do you think it's far enough away from the blade that I won't screw up the heat treating?
View Quote

I was mostly joking, but I believe that it's possible to weld on that part of the knife without heating the blade.  

If I was to attempt it, I'd probably clamp the knife in a vise with only the little finger guard sticking out. I might involve some water or wet rags, if possible.  I'd build up the nub one zap at a time with a MIG machine (TIG would probably be better, but I've never used a TIG welder), and keep a very close eye on how the heat was moving around on the knife.  

I can't guarantee that this wouldn't put some kind of stress in the blade or something, but i have welded a tang back together that was completely broken off and it's been fine since.(that was on a small, thin knife that I made and broke while I was straightening a warp that happened in the heat treat.) The break was halfway down the tang though so there wasn't as much chance of getting the blade hot.

The work that happens after the metal is built up is easy. Just go slow and make sure that you don't get anything beyond what you welded on hot.

Post pics if you go after it!

Link Posted: 4/15/2021 1:14:55 AM EDT
[#26]
I've been using my mora garberg for everything lately
Link Posted: 4/15/2021 1:22:40 AM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 4/15/2021 1:45:01 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

Yes I have received the knife.  I also have a Spartan Difensa that will be delivered tomorrow.
View Quote

Is it grippy? I noticed no jimping just the guard, my grip kind of slips with their tomahawks. Does it seem up to the task for batoning and other wood chores?

The Defensa looks sick, I just bought a belt knife, so really trying not to go over board buying a full set of Spartan-Harsey blades and a combat africa, just one for now.
Link Posted: 4/15/2021 2:08:36 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Large bowie chopper for survival/bushcraft/combat. Pocket knife for fine tasks, camping. Nothing fancy just a Buck or Gerber folder. That little Gerber us1 has become my favorite carry everywhere knife, also like the Buck Bantam. The Cold Steel Bushman bowie is dirt cheap and is supposed to be strong. I like my usaf and kbar knives. Mainly to throw in a pack or bugout bag.
View Quote

I was a big Buck 285 Bantam fan for a long time. Daily carried one everyday for almost 10 years. Then I got my mitts on this one, totally love it. Too bad it's been discontinued.

Link Posted: 4/15/2021 2:12:20 AM EDT
[#30]
For real world, all around use, and a decent value?
Becker BK16 or whatever flavor of ESEE 4 catches your fancy.
Link Posted: 4/15/2021 2:24:57 AM EDT
[#31]
This. All day, every day. The only other option that ....... I carry almost daily, the Rokka Knives Korpisoturi. The Brother of Bushcraft lives mounted on the underside of my Hill People Gear Kit bag. I think so much of them, I have have bought no less than six for friends and family. Should mention the version moi owns is a 154CM.

Link Posted: 4/15/2021 2:38:06 AM EDT
[#32]
Cold Steel  SRK is what you seek...
Link Posted: 4/15/2021 3:17:19 AM EDT
[#33]

Did you not get the memo regarding using coated knives for food? Pay more attention to GD, jeez...

OP: I'd rather pair a good hatchet and a good knife that both have their own strengths.
Link Posted: 4/15/2021 3:34:36 AM EDT
[#34]
I would also have a knife and a hatchet.    A knife big enough to chop effectively with is going to compromise on a lot of other knife-y things.

I know we're all down on Benchmade, but at least they aren't the sole source of Axis lock folders anymore.   The Axis lock is the best thing that ever happened to folding knives.

I have yet to find a fixed blade knife that outperforms my ancient-ass carbon steel Spec-Plus Kabar knockoff in anything other than hammering (the butt is rubber so that's a no) enough to make me want to buy something to replace it.
Link Posted: 4/15/2021 4:14:09 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Point taken.  Some knives are specialized and if it's a cheapo you don't mind fucking it up.

But the one you wear on your belt?  What knife would that be?
View Quote

I own a few hundred knives and probably a few dozen what I would call "belt knives".  I have several custom knives in this category, but still think the ESEE 3 or 4 are the quintessential belt knives for general purpose-field use (best budget value IMHO).  Avoid thick blades; unnecessary for a belt knife and if you want a good cutting tool.  I'm actually very comfortable with anything from 1/4" to 3/16".  While the materials aren't new-fangled super steels (although ESEE does have some small batch releases), their heat-treatment is top notch and is the most important factor.

ESEE is easy, but if you start looking at designs, don't count out TOPS, Becker, BRKT, and a few others I can't think of right off the top of my head.

I personally like a 4-5" blade that is 3/16" thick or less, clip or drop point, full flat and/or convex ground; full tang, G10 or Micarta scales, and a good sheath system.  For me, blades over 5.5-6" on the belt are just too cumbersome and will get in the way more often than not.  I love larger knives, but not for belt carry...YMMV.

Steel type can be a 10-page discussion all its own, but just make sure it's got a good heat-treatment.  Some of the new "stainless" steels actually have the advantages of carbon steel, easy to sharpen and still more corrosion resistant.  Blade coatings are find for field use, but consider a naked blade for food prep if that's a major function.

Can't access Photobucket right now, but Martin Knives are my preferred custom for a general purpose, field/combat belt knife (I own a few of them, the three at the bottom).  One of my favorite choices, but more in a "bushcraft" use is the Habilis Bush Tool...

ROCK6
Link Posted: 4/15/2021 4:35:34 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Who made that sheath?
View Quote

@ttushooter

Armatus Sheaths

Good sheaths.  I own a few, can be a little tight, but excellent sheaths.

ROCK6
Link Posted: 4/15/2021 5:50:58 AM EDT
[#37]
I use the Extrema Ratio Fulcrum for this.

Great sheath, good handle, very well designed for batoning.

The Swiss selected this (modified to also fit as a bayo) for their general issue.
Link Posted: 4/15/2021 5:57:16 AM EDT
[#38]
4 pages in and no penguin? I am disappointed. Mine would be a toss up between my gerber lmf 2 or my esee 4
Link Posted: 4/15/2021 6:16:56 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Cold Steel SRK is good enough.
View Quote

This. The Carbon V version.

LC
Link Posted: 4/15/2021 6:23:47 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Tops tracker knife.  Once you learn its uses  it will accomplish pretty much everything thrown at. It doesnt do everything great but it works on every task
View Quote

Or you could buy the original, a David Beck WSK Tracker. He’s the guy who actually created that design. His is the one they used in the movie “The Hunted”.
Link Posted: 4/15/2021 6:44:20 AM EDT
[#41]

That's a good looking blade.  Pretty wild grind.

What's the purpose of the little cutout?

Link Posted: 4/15/2021 6:55:22 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

That's a good looking blade.  Pretty wild grind.

What's the purpose of the little cutout?

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/31267/knife_fieldcraft_coyote_tan-1_small-1905516.jpg
View Quote

Sharpening choil, I believe it's purpose is to be able to sharpen the entire blade without hitting the handle, or ricasso.
Link Posted: 4/15/2021 9:59:02 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

I would definitely say that the M9 is NOT full tang.  Agree with everything else you posted, but would not be my choice for a survival knife.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
M9 bayonet, if not actually intending to use it as a bayonet.

Corrosion resistant, has some decent functions, full tang, and decent crossguard, and made in USA.  And it can be a mediocre bayonet if you just have to have one.

This is a major reason I prefer the M7.  One of our friends brings his M7 camping all the time.
Link Posted: 4/15/2021 10:01:49 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

If I ran into crazies out in the wild I'd rather have a Cold Steel camp shovel with a good edge on the metal.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/60489/shovel_JPG-1905357.JPG

and some heat!
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I have talked to people who ran into crazies out in the wild, so there is that.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/60489/shovel_JPG-1905357.JPG

and some heat!

Me like.

Some people we know went camping several years ago and they told us about an incident.

Early one morning some Charles Manson looking dude unzips the tent and looks in on them asking all kinds of questions like where they've been, where are they going hiking, etc.  My friends decided he was either some homesteading nut and they got too close to his hideout or he was a pot grower paranoid they'd find his crop.  They decided to pack up and leave later that morning.
Link Posted: 4/15/2021 6:42:56 PM EDT
[#45]
I don't like using a bushcraft or survival knife on food, so I'd have an Opinel or something in my pocket or pack and something else on my belt, maybe a Buck 119.

https://smile.amazon.com/Opinel-Stainless-Folding-Everyday-Locking/dp/B000UGYWTO/ref=sr_1_2?dchild=1&keywords=opinel&qid=1618526406&sr=8-2

Link Posted: 4/15/2021 6:58:42 PM EDT
[#46]
Hinderer Ranch Spanto in CPM 3V

Link Posted: 4/15/2021 7:10:21 PM EDT
[#47]
That is very personal for what your needs are, but my vote is Essee 4 or Toos Fieldcraft (or similar). Those two are hard to beat but maybe not a do all knife.
Link Posted: 4/15/2021 7:31:42 PM EDT
[#48]
$6.99 on sale at harbor freight.  DO IT!

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/15/2021 8:06:14 PM EDT
[#49]
I have zero desire to use a knife for combat.  If it comes to that I've really messed up in a major way.  For survival/camping/backwoods I would want a bow saw or folding silky saw for cutting trees to build a shelter/firewood.

https://www.amazon.com/Silky-Professional-Folding-Landscaping-141-18/dp/B0014C4PQS/ref=sr_1_3?dchild=1&keywords=folding+arborist+saw&qid=1618529859&sr=8-3

Then I'd want a decent axe like a full size gransfors bruks to make shelter building/firewood processing easier.

https://www.amazon.com/Gransfors-Bruks-Scandinavian-Forest-430/dp/B003DL73LM/ref=sr_1_6?dchild=1&keywords=finnish+axe&qid=1618530220&sr=8-6

To round out the cutting implements a Morakniv.  This all assumes a somewhat static location.

If I was going to be on the move - then a camp axe/boy scout axe and a Morakniv.

If I could only have one implement it would be a beefier knife that could do light chopping and batoning - something like the KaBar BK18/Harpoon or the BK2/Campanion paired with a folder for finer cutting needs.

https://www.amazon.com/KA-BAR-Becker-Harpoon-Fixed-Blade/dp/B085P229HS/ref=sr_1_1_mod_primary_new?dchild=1&keywords=kabar+becker+bk18&qid=1618531354&sbo=RZvfv%2F%2FHxDF%2BO5021pAnSA%3D%3D&sr=8-1

https://www.amazon.com/KA-BAR-Becker-Campanion-Fixed-Blade/dp/B001N1DPDE/ref=sr_1_5?dchild=1&keywords=kabar+becker+bk18&qid=1618531451&sr=8-5

Link Posted: 4/15/2021 8:45:25 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
I have zero desire to use a knife for combat.  If it comes to that I've really messed up in a major way.  For survival/camping/backwoods I would want a bow saw or folding silky saw for cutting trees to build a shelter/firewood.

https://www.amazon.com/Silky-Professional-Folding-Landscaping-141-18/dp/B0014C4PQS/ref=sr_1_3?dchild=1&keywords=folding+arborist+saw&qid=1618529859&sr=8-3

Then I'd want a decent axe like a full size gransfors bruks to make shelter building/firewood processing easier.

https://www.amazon.com/Gransfors-Bruks-Scandinavian-Forest-430/dp/B003DL73LM/ref=sr_1_6?dchild=1&keywords=finnish+axe&qid=1618530220&sr=8-6

To round out the cutting implements a Morakniv.  This all assumes a somewhat static location.

If I was going to be on the move - then a camp axe/boy scout axe and a Morakniv.

If I could only have one implement it would be a beefier knife that could do light chopping and batoning - something like the KaBar BK18/Harpoon or the BK2/Campanion paired with a folder for finer cutting needs.

https://www.amazon.com/KA-BAR-Becker-Harpoon-Fixed-Blade/dp/B085P229HS/ref=sr_1_1_mod_primary_new?dchild=1&keywords=kabar+becker+bk18&qid=1618531354&sbo=RZvfv%2F%2FHxDF%2BO5021pAnSA%3D%3D&sr=8-1

https://www.amazon.com/KA-BAR-Becker-Campanion-Fixed-Blade/dp/B001N1DPDE/ref=sr_1_5?dchild=1&keywords=kabar+becker+bk18&qid=1618531451&sr=8-5

View Quote

So the problem with the internet is there's so much information and so many situations. So like you, I have zero desire to get in a knife fight. I worked with a guy who did knife fighting training. Fuck that.

So where am I then? Well I like to camp so I want a beefier knife to do stuff. And being completely honest, I like cool stuff too just because. So I got an Esse 6 because that'll be a great camping knife for whatever. When I got a Tomahawk I opted for a quality manufacturer but I thought "Man the spike is kinda cool. I mean I don't need that, but if the tool is already quality why not indulge for cool?" I actually do use the spike sometimes for moving logs and shit but being honest it was for fun.

Moras are just so great and cheap I have a billion. They're in my truck and my packs and everywhere. They do pretty much everything except split wood. I've fileted fish with them, cut paracord, trimmed branches for kindling, etc.

So basically I camp and do outdoors activities, so my knives get used, but I also like to be like "lol that's fun" when I use it. I haven't been camping since I picked up the Esse a few months ago. I have shoehorned Moras into everything and probably given like 3 away.
Page / 7
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top