Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/22/2001 2:25:30 PM EDT
from tulsaword.com
Concealed weapons: The Senate also passed SB 434, which would allow licensed private investigators to carry concealed weapons into private establishments. The bill, which narrowly passed the Senate, 26-18, also forbids law officers from demanding to see a weapon if they are shown a concealed-carry license.

Sen. Frank Shurden, D-Hen ryetta, said many people who have concealed-carry permits are being harassed by law officers who demand to see their weapons for no legitimate reason.

But Sen. Bernest Cain, D-Oklahoma City, said the restriction would handcuff police efforts to investigate crime.

Other legislators, particularly Republicans, dislike the bill for another reason: It provides for the suspension of concealed- carry licenses if the license holder is arrested on drug or alcohol charges.

Shurden's repeated assurances that the National Rifle Association has "signed off" on the bill did no good.

"The NRA can make mistakes, too," said Sen. Jim Williamson, R-Tulsa.

"I'm under attack from the left and the right," Shurden said. "This must be a pretty good bill."

Shurden later agreed to send the bill back to a conference committee and remove the offending language that would make arrests as grounds for revocation of a conceal-carry license.
View Quote

So it looks like if the cops ask to see your gun you don't have to show them unless they have a damn good reason. You still have to tell them you're carrying obviously. It wouldn't matter to me personally, hell I'd like to show them if they asked since they have Glocks now too, we could talk tupperware! But it is kind of cool to see the way our legislators ammend laws in favor of freedom usually when you read the stories of a lot of the other states doing just the opposite.

The house also repealed auto-inspections today, kinda weird. I don't like doing it, but I also don't like those hooptys with no tailights or headlights.
Link Posted: 5/22/2001 2:33:36 PM EDT
[#1]
Hmmmmm...I like and dislike the new concealment legislation. Damned nice for law abiding citizens, but not for cops. I may have a CCW, but that doesn't mean that I'm not carrying an Uzi or any some other illegal weapon on me...bad for cops. But I like what it does for those of us that are compliant.
Link Posted: 5/22/2001 2:47:28 PM EDT
[#2]
Hooooaahhhh!! I love this state!
Link Posted: 5/22/2001 2:52:28 PM EDT
[#3]
phrigrid,

The uzi is a approved gun as long as it is semi auto and a pistol.

Dude
Link Posted: 5/22/2001 2:56:52 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
but not for cops. I may have a CCW, but that doesn't mean that I'm not carrying an Uzi or any some other illegal weapon on me...bad for cops.
View Quote

Unless you've given them a reason to believe you are carrying illegal weaponry, or other contraband why the hell should they be able to look? Non-holders can bootleg illegal guns too, A CCW doesn't mean a person is more likely to have illegal guns or other, in fact it probably means less likely. It has no loss of US. 4th ammendment provisions in it, and really didn't all that much before since all they were allowed to ask for/see was your carry weapon unless they had p.c. to search for other things.
Link Posted: 5/22/2001 3:00:29 PM EDT
[#5]
Preach on Brother Ericm
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top