BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 5/22/2001 6:51:04 PM EDT
[#1]
Listen Up,
if I ever was going to go postal, when they go to my house to see how I lived, it would have something like this in the article.  
"When the police raided the supsects house, one song kept on playing over and over, a old song from a group named Palehead, called "I will refuse".  That was one of the best songs ever writen during the 80's.
Also, Lots of stuff by Husker Du.  Pixes was cool, also anything box.  

c-rock
Link Posted: 5/22/2001 6:51:52 PM EDT
[#2]
Lordtrader --

I thought the proper title was "CUM on Eileen" ?

[BD]

Link Posted: 5/22/2001 6:54:03 PM EDT
[#3]

Music died after 1979.  [/quote]

Ya it did.

mostly
Link Posted: 5/22/2001 7:01:40 PM EDT
[#4]
Anything by XTC (EXCEPT for "Melt The Guns...grrrr*...) and anything by The Jam. Two bands that were colossal in England, but laid pretty much a commercial egg over here, because they refused to tart themsleves up or turn themselves into hair-metal bands for US tastes. They, if you will, stuck to their guns, made some great music, and I admire people like that. XTC are still around, still recording, but The Jam broke up in 1982. Their leader, Paul Weller, is still around, writing some very good music. (He also started the Style Council, about whom little ought be said...)

* XTC: first home of Barry Andrews, later part of Shriekback... I also met Andy Partridge, the leader of XTC, who wrote "Melt the Guns", a very anti-gun rant, (see the lyrics page at www.chalkhills.org )and he told me that he wrote the song because he was angry about the school shootings in the USA in the early 80s (remember the girl in Nebraska who shot up her school caf w/ a .22 rifle and later said when asked why she did it, "I don't like Mondays"?) and he didn't know what else to do or say, but felt he had to do something. He said when I met him a couple of years ago, he still doesn't personally like guns, except in a historic sense (he's very knowledgeable about military history), but realises the issue is a lot more complicated than he thought. Talk about "Unintended Consequences"....even Brits can learn, I guess.
Link Posted: 5/22/2001 7:28:35 PM EDT
[#5]
You are the first person I have ever heard of who knew of Shriekback!!!! I loved the oil and gold album!!! Did you know that they used it as the sound track for a Miami Vice episode?
View Quote

Miami Vice used to play some cool songs.  My favorite was "Girls with Guns" by Tommy Shaw.
Along the lines of Shriekback I also liked Martini Ranch's "How can a laboring man find time for subculture?"  Came out around the same time.
And of course, "Teenage Enema Nurses in Bondage"
helped me decide my occupation :)

Link Posted: 5/22/2001 7:37:53 PM EDT
[#6]
Um... what Troy said. [:D]

Any song by BIG COUNTRY.

Link Posted: 5/22/2001 7:43:21 PM EDT
[#7]
Don't forget the Dead Kennedys:
-Holiday in Cambodia,
-Let's Lynch the Landlord,
-Too Drunk To F**k,
-Kill the Poor....

"....Jane Fonda on the screen today
convinced the liberals it's OK
All systems go to kill the poor tonight!"

Kalif. punk at its best. (yeah, I know Jello Biafra's an anti, but so are most of the musicians mentioned in this thread....)
Link Posted: 5/22/2001 8:29:33 PM EDT
[#8]
Ferguson is onto something there...
Link Posted: 5/22/2001 8:41:29 PM EDT
[#9]
"Open Arms" - Journey
"Double Vision" - Foreigners
"Living on a Prayer" - Bon Jovi
"The Best of Times" - Styx
"Rock you like a Hurricane" - Scorpions
"You might think" - Cars
"I won't hold you back" - Toto
"Danger Zone" - Kenny Loggins
"Against all Odds" - Phil Collins
Link Posted: 5/22/2001 8:46:04 PM EDT
[#10]
Troy - I FORGOT ALL ABOUT INFO SOCIETY!!!!!!!!!!! I downloaded some of their songs and MAN am I having FLASHBACKS!!!

Thanks for the reminder!

[beer]
Link Posted: 5/22/2001 9:02:14 PM EDT
[#11]
Ones people suggestion already that I like:
Golgo-13:
Sweet dreams and Walk like an Egyptian as sweet
Rich 314:
THE WALL is one of my all time favorites
lordtrader:
Billy Idol's stuff is great(Rebel Yell, White Wedding, among others), Puttin on the Ritz = Taco,
Imbrolio:
Dire Straights
Troy: Holy Cow, did you post enough? [:)]
7:
Blondie's Songs are great, so are Tom Petty's
Others not mentioned:
I'm so exited- the pointed sisters
Tainted love-soft cell
you spin me right round-??
99 luftballons-nena
All I have to do is dream-Everly Borthers
Link Posted: 5/22/2001 10:54:05 PM EDT
[#12]

Ferguson is onto something there...
View Quote

Ferguson's mommy was still changing his diapers when the 80s eneded. What the hell would he know about the times and the music? Yeah, music died in 1979 alright... Wasn't that the year that disco finally started going down the tubes? [:)]

Back to the 80s, I know it's corny, but come on, deep down, who doesn't like "We're Not Gonna Take it" and "I Wanna Rock" by Twisted Sister?
Link Posted: 5/23/2001 4:10:00 AM EDT
[#13]
alright, some of this music will be embarrassing....

New wave favorites:

Heaven 17-"Let Me Go"
Pet Shop Boys-"West End Girls"
Kim Wilde-"Kids in America"
Missing Persons-"Destination Unknown"
Devo-"Beautiful World"
Kraftwerk-"Tour De France"
Gary Numan-"Telekon"
Specials-"Ghost Town"
Soft Cell-"Sex Dwarf"
Romeo Void-"I Might Like You Better..."

Hardcore/Punk favorites:

Black Flag-"Slip It In"
Fear-"Let's Have A War"
Bad Brains-"I against I"
Descendants-"Suburban Home"
MIA-"Las Vegas"
GBH-"City Baby's Revenge"
Minor Threat-"Minor Threat"
Dead Kennedys-"California Uber Alles"
Rollin's Band-"Burned Beyond Recognition"
DI-"I Like Guns"
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top