Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 3
Link Posted: 2/27/2021 12:42:05 AM EDT
[#1]
nicotine is so damn hard to kick.. i dd quit dipping and smoking several years back but i do have a vape i hit every once in awhile
Link Posted: 2/27/2021 12:44:55 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 2/27/2021 12:48:57 AM EDT
[#3]
Started dipping Copenhagen when I was 16. I was 42, sitting in a dove field with my 6 yr old son and noticed him spitting every time I did.
He finally asked "Dad, does your nasty stuff (our name for it) have tobacco in it?"
I said it had a little.
"Isn't that the same stuff that is in maw-maw's cigarettes. I hem hawed a little but said yes.
"Then why don't you quit?"
"Because I really don't want to, son."
"But if it's bad for you, then quit, promise me you'll quit."

It took me about 2 months, a month of Grizzly, which is apparently made from the Copenhagen they spill on the floor, mixed with some hair from the local barber shop
Then I switched to some Randy White product "Smoky Mountain Chew" which is a combination of whale shit, seaweed, and anus, for flavoring.

But I quit after 25 years of dipping, almost cold turkey. That was 16 years ago, ain't missed it.

Out of the mouths of babes...
Link Posted: 2/27/2021 12:53:02 AM EDT
[#4]
Quit Copenhagen seven years ago after over 20 years.
Link Posted: 2/27/2021 12:55:42 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Indescribable, actually.

But to be blunt, a look in your child’s face that makes you think, “huh, I’d like to not die of throat cancer in a decade, so I can be around to see my kid graduate from college and maybe someday get married.”

I hope I quit before it’s too late.
View Quote

Yea man, I started wearing my seat belt because I want my little girl to have a daddy. She'll be one next week. They change you, dont they
Link Posted: 2/27/2021 1:06:51 AM EDT
[#6]
smoked for 19 years.. Quit cold Turkey on new years Eve 2000.

I wanted to walk my daughter down the isle... and teach my Grandchildren to shoot....

And I saw what it did for my dad, putting him in a Nursing home for the last 6 years of his life with a 2 pack a day habit.

We all die... no one  gets out alive... but I'm not going to make it easy for death.
Link Posted: 2/27/2021 1:07:12 AM EDT
[#7]
Double tap
Link Posted: 2/27/2021 1:09:07 AM EDT
[#8]
Have kids...

Never_skoal'er here. Feels good man.
Link Posted: 2/27/2021 1:12:30 AM EDT
[#9]
I love nicotine, honestly. But, I'm scared of cancer, so I quit smoking and dipping about 10 years ago.
Link Posted: 2/27/2021 1:12:52 AM EDT
[#10]
Dipped only once as a teenager in the 70s, the burn and the taste was terrible, I think it was Red Man Smokeless.

Link Posted: 2/27/2021 1:14:14 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Switched from Copenhagen to Swedish Snus about 5 years ago.  I don't think it is any better, but I don't get sores anymore.
View Quote

You ever try Ettan? It's my favorite brand.
Link Posted: 2/27/2021 1:15:57 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
HPV will be what fucks your throat  up.  The Skoal?  Not so much.
View Quote

Sooooo, I should STOP licking chicks' buttholes on the first date or no?
Link Posted: 2/27/2021 1:18:37 AM EDT
[#13]
15 years of dipping.  At the end I was up to 2 cans/day.  One Copenhagen, one Skoal FCW.  My son at 4 years old was spitting like me.  Didn't stop anything.  Mouth sores. . . Meh, just cold sores, some Wintergreen burn will fix that.  

We moved into our current place on New Years about a decade ago.  Decided the habit wouldn't follow me there.  Quit cold turkey.  Some of the most miserable 3 weeks of my life, followed by another month+ of just a little less misery.  For about two years after that, I'd have an occasional craving if I smelled Cope/Skoal, but zero cravings since.

Glad I got that monkey off my back.

Link Posted: 2/27/2021 1:19:22 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Wut? Is that even possible to stop?
Link Posted: 2/27/2021 1:20:37 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Well you can’t unlick an asshole so you might as well carry on.
Link Posted: 2/27/2021 1:20:48 AM EDT
[#16]
Smoked 20 years, peaking at 4 packs/day.
When the kids started coming, I quit smoking...in the house. But I still smoked at work and would  frequently step outside (even in blizzard conditions) to have a smoke at home.
Thought I was being a responsible dad until my oldest boy was about 5, playing with a McDonald's playset. When I saw him pretend to "smoke" a plastic french fry, I quit for real.  Instantly.

It's amazing how strong of an influence our kids can be.
Link Posted: 2/27/2021 1:22:15 AM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 2/27/2021 1:29:16 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Link Posted: 2/27/2021 1:30:06 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
I've been using that zyn pouch stuff.

Satisfies my nicotine cravings, I haven't bought tobacco for a couple weeks.
View Quote

This is the way.
Link Posted: 2/27/2021 1:58:18 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Yeah.

I don’t know what you are trying to get at. I was too young and dumb at 17yo to know it was a terrible choice to try it, but it was a choice nonetheless.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

So it was a choice?

Yeah.

I don’t know what you are trying to get at. I was too young and dumb at 17yo to know it was a terrible choice to try it, but it was a choice nonetheless.

I  applaud you are stopping and good luck! ??
Link Posted: 2/27/2021 1:58:22 AM EDT
[#21]
I started second hand smoking when I was 5 with a shitbag stepmom. Started dipping Copenhagen around 9 and switched to Skoal in my 20s. Tried to quit several times but all my friends dip. I havent had a dip since October 2018. Been chewing the shit out of nicotine gum since. One of the hardest things I've ever done. (The gum helps.)
Link Posted: 2/27/2021 2:11:38 AM EDT
[#22]
I quit cold turkey after 20 years coming up on 4 years ago. It is tough in the beginning, what isn't.....
Link Posted: 2/27/2021 4:44:26 AM EDT
[#23]
Good on you for quitting.
I smoked for ten years starting at 12, I started dipping Copenhagen in 82 to quit smoking and finally quit Copenhagen in 2018. I'd put a small dip in when I woke up and just keep adding to it thoughout the day, it never came out of my mouth until I went to bed. I reached a point I rarely spit and would just keep adding as it desolved.
I quit by using nicotine lozenges for three months and then just stopped buying more of them.
I still miss dip every day but won't start again.
Link Posted: 2/27/2021 6:14:59 AM EDT
[#24]
Just a pinch between your cheek and gum,,, mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.  I remember those pussies in high school would use 'the bandits'
Link Posted: 2/27/2021 7:17:40 AM EDT
[#25]
Good work. Hopefully the damage hasn't already been done.
Link Posted: 2/27/2021 7:58:40 AM EDT
[#26]
Even though I quit over 20 years ago, I still have dreams of Copenhagen.
Link Posted: 2/27/2021 8:01:04 AM EDT
[#27]
Thread needs more mouth cancer pics.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 2/27/2021 8:03:34 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
...none of that pussy Skoal.
View Quote
Right Dad!
Link Posted: 2/27/2021 8:18:19 AM EDT
[#29]
Serious question, why is it called dip?
Link Posted: 2/27/2021 8:38:49 AM EDT
[#30]
I do two cans of copenhagen a day....

When mint was recalled the other year, I literally went through withdrawal doing other brands.  I should have quit then and there, but I'm stupid.
Link Posted: 2/27/2021 8:44:09 AM EDT
[#31]
Currently working on quitting dip. It's tough, not as bad as quitting smoking was 12 years ago. The nicotine patches help.
Link Posted: 2/27/2021 8:49:20 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Let's not get fucking crazy here.
Link Posted: 2/27/2021 8:53:59 AM EDT
[#33]
Quit dipping 9 years ago after 17 years it was harder to quit than smoking but if you have the will it can be done! Having kids definitely helped me quit but now I realize how disgusting of a habit it was, plus saving all the money from a can a day helped a lot
Link Posted: 2/27/2021 9:01:05 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

Choice to start, addicted for 18 years, and a choice to quit.

View Quote

OP gets it.

We make the choice to try a known addictive behavior. It then becomes our addiction. We have to make the choice to stop the addiction which is harder than any of the preceding events.

The best choice is to never try it no matter how tempting.

It amazes me that tobacco and nicotine products are still sold when it is a proven killer. The new vaping thing is just another avenue to get people addicted to the killer and it targets them young. Up until now nicotine tasted like shit. Now it tastes like cotton candy. Tobacco companies are as evil as the come.
Link Posted: 2/27/2021 9:34:43 AM EDT
[#35]
I use a can of snus every day.

I tell myself it's less harmful than other forms of tobacco, but it's still a choice (a stupid one).
Link Posted: 2/27/2021 10:20:27 AM EDT
[#36]
I dipped from age 15 to 45.  That's 30 years of Copenhagen and Skoal.  I quit many times but usually a deployment would drive me right back to it.  I retired from the military in December 2010 and quit the same month.  I haven't had a dip since then.  I still think about it but I don't crave it. The combination of not being around all of your brothers that chewed and the instant drop in career pressure was what I needed for it to stick.  After all this time the skin on my bottom lip is a different texture than the rest of my mouth.  I think a can is up to $7.00 now.  I remember it being $1.50 at the BX.
Link Posted: 2/27/2021 10:27:48 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Indescribable, actually.

But to be blunt, a look in your child’s face that makes you think, “huh, I’d like to not die of throat cancer in a decade, so I can be around to see my kid graduate from college and maybe someday get married.”

I hope I quit before it’s too late.
View Quote

It is a disgusting habit.   Look at what happened to Rush Limbaugh.  I am not a doctor but I would look at the medical problems possible from doing  that and see what you can do to detect and treat any problem early.
Link Posted: 2/27/2021 10:30:18 AM EDT
[#38]
Your 2 year old had a “quit Skoal” look in her eye? I have twin 2 year olds, and not sure they know what skoal is.
Link Posted: 2/27/2021 10:37:25 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Straight Skoal user for four years.  One morning I got out of bed and decided no more chew. Stopped right then and there, cold turkey.  That was 25 years ago.
View Quote

Similar story here.....used Copenhagen for 27 years. December 2009 I quit cold turkey after years of talking about it.
Link Posted: 2/27/2021 10:44:03 AM EDT
[#40]
you have to decide you want to quit.   you have to realize you can and the only thing stopping you is you.
Link Posted: 2/27/2021 10:44:22 AM EDT
[#41]
I've been a casual chewer for years, I usually only dip when I'm drinking. I'd say I go through a tin every 3-4 weeks. I have no intention of stopping
Link Posted: 2/27/2021 10:46:44 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Your 2 year old had a “quit Skoal” look in her eye? I have twin 2 year olds, and not sure they know what skoal is.
View Quote

It’s ok RB. We all recognize there is a lot you’re not sure about. Like how to navigate the dual drive through line at chic-fil-a.
Link Posted: 2/27/2021 10:48:38 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

It’s ok RB. We all recognize there is a lot you’re not sure about. Like how to navigate the dual drive through line at chic-fil-a.
View Quote

still doesn't address the issue, but I get it

Link Posted: 2/27/2021 10:49:33 AM EDT
[#44]
I quit and do Zyn now. It is the only thing I have found that works to help me quit. No more torn up gums and shit. Been quit for about a year on it.
Link Posted: 2/27/2021 10:55:27 AM EDT
[#45]
Good on OP.

Being given away by a guy without a lower jaw or trach tube would really screw up her wedding pictures.
Link Posted: 2/27/2021 11:00:39 AM EDT
[#46]
I have smoked cigs, dipped and vaped.  Nicotine really screws me.  The only thing that worked to get me to stop was Chantix.  I did it once to quit smoking and didn't smoke for 6 months but was drinking and a buddy had some dip - I said oh I haven't dipped in while let me have some.  Next day I went and bought a can.  Dipped for the next several years.  Then I said, shit, I shouldn't be dipping but I can't go back to smoking so I decided to vape - vaped for the next several years. In all have probably done one or the other for 25+ years.

Did Chantix again and have been nicotine free for about 3 months.  Told myself I can never have nicotine b/c it will just get me started again.  The shitty thing is I have a small humidor fridge with probably a couple hundred cigars in it.  Average cost is probably 10$ each.  These are all very nice cigars - don't know what to do with them.  Really like to have a cigar hunting or at the beach fishing.

I WOULD HAVE NEVER STARTED IF I KNEW I'D SPEND MOST OF MY LIFE TRYING TO QUIT IT.
Link Posted: 2/27/2021 11:22:50 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

Yeah.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

So it was a choice?

Yeah.

Guessing he's one of those that calls addiction a disease and has a multitude of excuses for why he can't stop doing things
Link Posted: 2/27/2021 11:45:16 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Serious question, why is it called dip?
View Quote

Because you ‘dip’ your thumb and forefinger into the can and ‘pinch’ a quantity of
Product which is then inserted between teeth and lower lip, although I’ve seen guys
Use their upper lip.
Link Posted: 2/27/2021 11:46:49 AM EDT
[#49]
Quit dipping and drinking 6 or 7 years ago.   Strokers long cut in quart cans,,,two quarts a week.  Scotch straight...two gallons a week..lol.  Diet Pepsi cases a week.   (dipping had been a 15 year habit)  

Stopped cold turkey on everything.  Seltzer water, water, and black coffee have filled the void.

Threads like this makes me want to get a dip and have a drink....

Actually, have not missed it not even once.

Not understanding why women are so into dipping now.   This was pulled off youtube.   Entire channels on women dipping.  DOn't understand.

Link Posted: 2/27/2021 11:53:23 AM EDT
[#50]
I had a wall of cans in my bedroom back in high school. Copenhagen and long cut.
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top