Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 4
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 2/26/2021 11:51:45 AM EDT
[#1]
Scrap wood from some fences and cow pens.

Fun and free.Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 2/26/2021 12:11:44 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

You're paying for linear foot, $4-$6 per foot lengthwise. Therefore, their 8' 2x4 is $32. I understand higher prices for hardwoods, but this is all fir/hemlock. Old growth, but still. I'm just trying to build a woodshed so I have a place to beat my kids.
View Quote

Then buy some shitty overpriced pine from Lowes.
Link Posted: 2/26/2021 12:14:35 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Same reason they still fish cut timber off the bottom of the Great Lakes - you simply can’t get some kinds of wood anymore, or reclaiming is much much cheaper.
View Quote

Did you see the cable TV show on this situation?  Guy was trying to salvage ships that sunk and the old timbers kept getting in the way.  One of his deck hands told them to bring one up. Took it to a lumber guy and found out this was the gold he should be looking for.  He kept his mouth shut, had the laws changed so he could file a claim to it all and no one else could take it.   He now has all the timber mining rights there.
Link Posted: 2/26/2021 12:16:29 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Then buy some shitty overpriced pine from Lowes.
View Quote

And extra insulation so the neighbors cannot hear the screams.
Link Posted: 2/26/2021 12:16:47 PM EDT
[#5]
In my case it's the only way to get longleaf pine. It doesn't exist except as old beams and such in old construction - sadly it's all but extinct.

I don't go for the whole drab/weathered look so I surface the wood and use it.

ETA: Specifically I'm talking about large beams. Smaller lumber is available new.
Link Posted: 2/26/2021 12:17:46 PM EDT
[#6]
OP prefers Chinese particle board

Link Posted: 2/26/2021 1:37:14 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

I know where there are century or so old wooden barns made from YUGE notched timbers.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Its pretty popular back home. A while back my grandparents had a crew tear down one of the old falling down barns on the home place (it was pretty damn big) to harvest the lumber to line the walls of the main "entrance" (basically a 12x8 room/hallway with double glass doors at each end) of their business. After singling out and cutting as many straight, non split, non rotted/bug infested pieces they barely had enough to finish with only about 15 board feet left.

In other words it's an ass load of work for not a whole lot of usable material so I can see why it's kinda pricey.

I know where there are century or so old wooden barns made from YUGE notched timbers.

Those big timbers are neat to see. The big support beams they pulled out of that barn looked like they just squared off some trees by hand and notched them with an axe. I need to find those again and see how clean they are, they'd make a badass mantle or something
Link Posted: 2/26/2021 2:01:58 PM EDT
[#8]
All I can say is Etsy is awesome. My wife sold a jewelry maker my spent wolf steel shell casings for one dollar each. People will buy anything on there.
Link Posted: 2/26/2021 2:04:33 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
All I can say is Etsy is awesome. My wife sold a jewelry maker my spent wolf steel shell casings for one dollar each. People will buy anything on there.
View Quote

That's hilarious. I once had a girlfriend who made necklaces out of x39 steel cases. They weren't the prettiest things in the world...
Link Posted: 2/26/2021 2:06:04 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
There is a place near here that buys and tears down old buildings to reclaim the wood and make very nice looking furniture.   They never buy anything less than 100 years old.
  Chairs are around $200.00.
View Quote

There is a place like that here too. They make some beautiful stuff.
Link Posted: 2/26/2021 2:16:34 PM EDT
[#11]
Many years ago I was a laborer for the guy who had the contract to upgrade the county courthouse.  He tore out all the 1"X10" solid oak baseboards and quarter round and my job was to haul it from where he tore it out to the dumpster.   There was three floors of the stuff from about ten court rooms, so there was a lot of board feet every night.  Every night for about 3 weeks I was taking boards home.  I stacked it inside our barn until my friends came to get some.

I threw the quarter round in the dumpster and stacked the boards neatly along side the dumpster and took it home with me after I got done with work.  I had plenty of friends who wanted it for their projects, so I gave it away.  Back then, used wood just wasn't a "thing".  I just couldn't stand the thought of it going to the dump.
Link Posted: 2/26/2021 2:23:21 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Video
Can you legally build your house with lumber you milled yourself. Yes or No. The answer is both with certain caveats and other stuff....  RTH explains difference between structural wood (which is required by code to be inspected and stamped) versus non structural wood. And at 7:20  it is explained that you can hire one of the certified wood inspectors to come inspect your wood and can grade and stamp it, assuming it makes the grade and all. Host also makes the point that if you have more wood than you need for building your home and it is properly inspected and papered you can sell the wood at market prices like it came from a building supplier. He explains best practices on how to minimize the cost of inspection, based on his conversation with President of a company that is certified to inspect wood, be ready with wood stacked in a optimal way, your equipment gassed and running, all geared to the inspector getting paid on the hour (including travel costs).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UWgG5pmhdik
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

@lostnswv  any chance you could link that episode? I'm trying to find it but coming up blank. I've got a hobby sawmill and am interested in this

Video
Can you legally build your house with lumber you milled yourself. Yes or No. The answer is both with certain caveats and other stuff....  RTH explains difference between structural wood (which is required by code to be inspected and stamped) versus non structural wood. And at 7:20  it is explained that you can hire one of the certified wood inspectors to come inspect your wood and can grade and stamp it, assuming it makes the grade and all. Host also makes the point that if you have more wood than you need for building your home and it is properly inspected and papered you can sell the wood at market prices like it came from a building supplier. He explains best practices on how to minimize the cost of inspection, based on his conversation with President of a company that is certified to inspect wood, be ready with wood stacked in a optimal way, your equipment gassed and running, all geared to the inspector getting paid on the hour (including travel costs).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UWgG5pmhdik

Thank you Sir
Link Posted: 2/26/2021 2:23:59 PM EDT
[#13]
What am I supposed to do?  Pretend that shitty 15 year-old Poplar is "just as good" as 150 year-old Walnut?
Link Posted: 2/26/2021 4:46:00 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
OP prefers Chinese particle board

View Quote

Ha, hardly. I just wanted to know the reason for a $32 2x4. I'm sure you built all your wood projects using this based on your reply?
Link Posted: 2/26/2021 5:23:57 PM EDT
[#15]
My grandfather tore down a 19th century mill and reclaimed the timber.

Some of it was bought by a Yank couple who used it to build a house. I used some of it to remodel the floor at my country house.
Link Posted: 2/26/2021 9:58:40 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Damn, that looks like crap in my opinion; seems like the checks, splits, wormholes, etc. would make it sound  like crap too.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Barncasters are not my thing, but they are a bunch of peoples things
https://images.reverb.com/image/upload/s--eaTJTQhK--/f_auto,t_large/v1578539528/k7k8d6x9dea3vssqeuow.jpg

Damn, that looks like crap in my opinion; seems like the checks, splits, wormholes, etc. would make it sound  like crap too.

They sound fine and play fine.
Link Posted: 2/26/2021 10:03:35 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
I thought the whole hipster thing was kinda over with ... I guess not
View Quote

The use of reclaimed, old growth wood predates hipsters for a very long time.

WTF is wrong with some of you? Do you just not like well made stuff with character?
Link Posted: 2/26/2021 11:39:32 PM EDT
[#18]

Your "Live Laugh Love" sign seems to have fallen off the wall
Link Posted: 2/27/2021 1:06:01 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Your "Live Laugh Love" sign seems to have fallen off the wall
View All Quotes
That's harsh, bro.  Very harsh.

I think I'm going to get an artsy stencil of Stop, Drop and Cover for my accent wall.
Link Posted: 2/28/2021 12:43:16 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

I think I'm going to get an artsy stencil of Stop, Drop and Cover for my accent wall.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Have we hit peak "Live, Laugh, Love" signage yet or is the market still going strong on it? I've seen homemade signs that aren't so tacky and it might be a good side job to sell those things. I took apart a few pallets yesterday for the wood to make garage shelving.

Repurposing is good to do, but I'm not looking to make my house look like an etsy storefront.
Page / 4
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top