Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 2/24/2021 11:47:00 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
So arr my Knipex.  
View Quote

If it was imported from Germany I wouldn't be complaining

I did just get a Gedore punch set for $20 made in Germany and a Gedore set of dykes made in Austria.

I bought some Wiha insulated needle nose recently and was surprised to see they were made in Vietnam. I should have bought Knipex. Ironically those Wihas have some of the best chrome I've ever seen.
Link Posted: 2/24/2021 11:49:52 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 2/24/2021 11:56:13 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

Well don't be shy with the pics
View Quote

I don’t have any pics and I don’t use them. I just keep them oiled, wrapped in cloth and stored. I never met him as he died when my mom was a teenager and they’re the only thing I have that belonged to him.
Link Posted: 2/25/2021 12:13:33 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
This isn't really an option unless you're retired and looking to complete a 3/8" socket set.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Just buy old USA made tools at pawn shops and yard sales.
This isn't really an option unless you're retired and looking to complete a 3/8" socket set.

There are all kinds of good pawn shop tool scores around me.
Link Posted: 2/25/2021 12:20:04 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
I have boxes and boxes of my grandfather’s US made mechanics tools from the 1950-60s.
View Quote

I do as well, but they are all beat to shit and almost unrecognizable from 50 years on a farm.
Link Posted: 2/25/2021 12:31:06 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Just buy old USA made tools at pawn shops and yard sales.

You can still get new USA made at decent prices, but you’ll have to do a lot of research to find stuff
View Quote

This, you can find some great stuff at those, as well as estate & garage sales
Link Posted: 2/25/2021 12:35:55 AM EDT
[#7]
Grammarb is for bitches!
Link Posted: 2/25/2021 12:39:33 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Did you mean remember?
View Quote

Those tools were from a different time, when people spoke english, and if they typed, they tried to spell the words correctly.  

It was a long, long time ago.
Link Posted: 2/25/2021 12:43:36 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Those tools were from a different time, when people spoke english, and if they typed, they tried to spell the words correctly.  

It was a long, long time ago.
View Quote

Bless your heart
Link Posted: 2/25/2021 12:44:02 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted: we were both happy.  
View Quote

You really should delete this post... for his sake, and for yours.  

Just goes to show; no good deeds goes unpunished.

The First rule of free pressure washers is just zip-it.
Why do people have such a hard time with just S-ting TFU?
Link Posted: 2/25/2021 12:44:10 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 2/25/2021 12:45:24 AM EDT
[#12]
The 2 main problems of why so much manufacturing is in China are that they don't mind all the pollution that often comes with electronics manufacturing and the incredibly low cost of labor.

So unless we want to start dumping waste a lot more frivolously and paying people two dollars an hour, we need to figure out better ways to efficiently manage the waste of electronics manufacturing and how to dramatically reduce the business costs of running a manufacturing business.

The waste issue would seem to be an engineering problem. The operating costs issue could be at least partly addressed by cutting regulations and business taxes, but that's hard to get done because everyone wants to "stand up to the corporations" or whatever.
Link Posted: 2/25/2021 12:47:36 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

That's badass. Wonder why they did the handle like that?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
This old fella still works great.  Great quality.  

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/460166/thumbnail_20210224_220720_jpg-1840246.JPG

That's badass. Wonder why they did the handle like that?

Maybe to make it more difficult to pull against the jaw?
Link Posted: 2/25/2021 12:51:03 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Grammarb is for bitches!
View Quote

Don't be such a member.    
Link Posted: 2/25/2021 1:08:16 AM EDT
[#15]
The best adjustable wrench I’ve used is made in Spain. The best crimpers are from murica’ though.
Link Posted: 2/25/2021 1:14:12 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
The best adjustable wrench I’ve used is made in Spain. The best crimpers are from murica’ though.
View Quote

Probably Irega. They are fantastic and make tons of wrenches for US companies.
Link Posted: 2/25/2021 1:33:13 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
View Quote

I have something probably related.

Think of a crescent wrench head/crow's foot wrench combo for 3/8 drive. Snap-On branded and made in Spain.

Very precise (for what it is) adjustment.

Saved my bacon on a few jobs, earned a place in the tool box.

If they make a "crescent wrench" like this, I gotta have it.
Link Posted: 2/25/2021 1:37:56 AM EDT
[#18]
https://shop.snapon.com/product/Adjustable-%2C-inches-mm/3-8%22-Drive-Metric-0-29-mm-Adjustable-Crowfoot-Wrench/ADCF8
Link Posted: 2/25/2021 1:45:46 AM EDT
[#19]
If you are looking for US made handtools check out USG auctions.
Link Posted: 2/25/2021 1:49:52 AM EDT
[#20]
Couple years ago I stopped at a yard sale, looking for gun stuff, as usual. Didn't see any, but spotted an old ratty tool box. The price was $2.00, so I took a chance. Everything was covered in surface rust, but I was optimistic most of it could be saved. Tossed a couple wrenches and sockets in citric acid just to see if any of it would clean up. Most of it cleaned up pretty well, as shown below. A few of the sockets were '30s and '40s Snap-On. Probably 20lbs of stuff like this, total. Not a bad investment for the few hours of cleanup. Blew my mind how light the pitting was, based on what everything looked like to start with.

Link Posted: 2/25/2021 1:57:10 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

I don’t have any pics and I don’t use them. I just keep them oiled, wrapped in cloth and stored. I never met him as he died when my mom was a teenager and they’re the only thing I have that belonged to him.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Well don't be shy with the pics

You should use and enjoy them. Many heirlooms that are cherished and stored away for safe keeping get thrown in the trash when the owner passes and the next in line sees no value in them.
Link Posted: 2/25/2021 2:05:31 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
A couple years back the company I worked for had a team of guys that went around “inspecting” tools and confiscating “defective” tools.  

They took anything that was not Snapon, Proto, or Blue Point.  They threw away hundreds of sets of SK sockets.  They took huge 1 15/16” wrench from me not a chance that thing would have failed.  

I recently destroyed two snapon extensions and a Proto breaker bar.  My old SK’s wouldn’t have failed.
View Quote

Your company sent guys around to steal your tools?

What am I missing?
Link Posted: 2/25/2021 2:38:46 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Most of my tools are U.S. and German. But Tawain makes some legit stuff too. No china crap though.

Snap on, Stahlwille, Wright, Knipex, Hazet, Wera, old craftsman and SK

My favorite ratcheting wrenches

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/334273/20190511_111952-982482.jpg
View Quote

@JDennis

I think those are Taiwan made...sorry.

I love antique US handtools and am constantly buying them to make random sets. I'd like to consolidate to a few brands. Craftsman, MAC, and Plomb (now Proto by Stanley).
Link Posted: 2/25/2021 2:41:19 AM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 2/25/2021 3:11:09 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

@JDennis

I love antique US handtools and am constantly buying them to make random sets. I'd like to consolidate to a few brands. Craftsman, MAC, and Plomb (now Proto by Stanley).
View Quote

Yep...TWN.

I have some USA Snap On ratchet wrenches and I think they may be some of the last USA ratchet wrenches. For some reason they have all moved to Taiwan. We just got a huge set of Proto ratchet wrenches and crescent wrenches at work and they were all Taiwan.
Link Posted: 2/25/2021 8:45:47 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

@JDennis

View Quote

@sizzlin_bacon

They are US made. If they are made in the US, Proto puts a US flag up by the description. And sadly they cost a lot more than the Proto made over seas.

Link Posted: 2/25/2021 8:56:50 AM EDT
[#27]
SK was a good deal for great stuff up until about 7-10 years ago. Their price has doubled or more on nearly everything. I got their complete 1/4" socket set SAE/Metric for $115 about 15 years ago now it's about $500.  It's still my most used set.

Link Posted: 2/25/2021 9:28:17 AM EDT
[#28]
I can't believe how dog shit the Craftsman socket wrenches have become. I was using breaker bars on 3/8 base model wrenches, tearing down drive trains on my cars with zero issues 20 years ago. The new ones don't even fucking work right out of the box...
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top