Lol, my first thought
Link Posted: 2/24/2021 4:28:21 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 2/24/2021 4:28:30 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Nice shelter half kit.

My first field exercise I slept in one of those.

Now all you need is an E tool.
View Quote
My first field exercise I almost floated out of mine thanks to a massive downpour.
Link Posted: 2/24/2021 4:28:32 PM EDT
[#4]
I had one of those as a kid, but it had a floor and was made of the heavy canvas. Loved the smell of it after it’d been set up for the first time of the season.
Link Posted: 2/24/2021 4:28:49 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Thanks Bud, you just HAD to bring back THOSE memories. Never been so cold/wet in my life. Again, thanks....not
View Quote
You're welcome. Everyone else seems to be enjoying the flashbacks too.
Link Posted: 2/24/2021 4:29:26 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
The old timers would tell you about having to buddy-up with someone having a shelter half with buttons or snaps, whatever style matched what you were issued.

I still have a shelter half that gets used as a tarp. About all they are good for.
View Quote
During a FEX one of the guys in my Company was the only guy that got issued one with buttons, everyone else had shelter halfs with snaps.

BTW anyone have any idea how old the shelter halfs with buttons were? We were guessing Spanish American War or maybe WW1 Maybe piccolo knows.
Link Posted: 2/24/2021 4:29:55 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I used to work with a borderline retard who waterproofed a tent from the inside.  He became so overcome with the fumes that he passed out.  He later came too and finished the job waterproofing from the inside.
View Quote

Well, if wasn't borderline before said waterproofing, he sure as hell was after!! The Shelter Half tent is literal shit; can't imagine trying to improve on it....but, I'm not a 'borderline retard'. Or so I think.
Link Posted: 2/24/2021 4:32:40 PM EDT
[#8]
I’ve got six sets; we set them up in yard for the kids every summer. The one we were issued in the summer of 85 stank of CS, mothballs and mold.
Link Posted: 2/24/2021 4:34:12 PM EDT
[#9]

Should you sleep in it tonight?
Let's see you have Florida man, you have boa constrictors rock pythons and a combination of those super snakes, you have those attack lizard/ iguana killers, methbillys and Lord only knows what else.
What could gone wrong.
Dibs on your guns and your wife
Link Posted: 2/24/2021 4:34:27 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Cool.

I've been interested in a lightfighter 1 tent but just haven't gotten to the "time to buy" point yet.

https://litefighter.com/wp-content/uploads/2020/06/LF1-rainfly-ocp-open.jpg
View Quote

That's actually pretty cool looking.
Link Posted: 2/24/2021 4:35:12 PM EDT
[#11]
2x shelter halves. Need two ponchos. One for the floor and one to wrap your gear.
Link Posted: 2/24/2021 4:35:33 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
My first field exercise I almost floated out of mine thanks to a massive downpour.
View Quote

This wasn’t at Camp Shelby was it? Same thing almost happened to me.
Link Posted: 2/24/2021 4:36:29 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Is this going to be a wish knock off?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Is this going to be a wish knock off?

Looks like a scam
Link Posted: 2/24/2021 4:36:38 PM EDT
[#14]
View Quote

Right on.  I did some checking and there are enough red flags there that its safe to say that its a scam site.
Link Posted: 2/24/2021 4:37:26 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Let's see you have Florida man, you have boa constrictors rock pythons and a combination of those super snakes, you have those attack lizard/ iguana killers, methbillys and Lord only knows what else.
What could gone wrong.
View Quote
I'm in TN. We have coyotes, bears, and sasquatch.
Link Posted: 2/24/2021 4:38:06 PM EDT
[#16]
I only slept in one a few times but that was enough to hate those things. Yeah, I too could smell that picture.
Link Posted: 2/24/2021 4:40:27 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

What could gone wrong.

I stand corrected. I still call Dibs
Link Posted: 2/24/2021 4:42:50 PM EDT
[#18]
You be better off in a hammock and winter tarp... Just sayin...
Link Posted: 2/24/2021 4:44:35 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
I can smell it from here.
View Quote

I thought the same. I love the smell of fresh canvas.
OP, where's your little rain trench around the tent?! Where's your battle-buddy?!
Link Posted: 2/24/2021 4:45:01 PM EDT
[#20]
Desert Shield, my battle buddy and I dug a 6' deep hole in roughly the same size as the two shelter halves, put a sandbag stack in the middle for the center pole, and set up the tent over it.

We were SNUG in that thing, and caught many a head poking in the tent going "WTF IS THIS" and realizing we'd built a fighting position, then laughing and saying they'd wished they'd thought of that.

They're really not bad tents, just out of date today.
Link Posted: 2/24/2021 4:46:22 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
View Quote

Don’t forget the East Tennessee methbillies.
Link Posted: 2/24/2021 4:50:24 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

That's actually pretty cool looking.
View Quote

I've heard nothing but positive reviews about them.

There's a two man version that is heavier, but spread out among 2 guys they'd be fine.

I really like the fact that you can get an inner fly for them and turn them into 4 season tents.  I also like the fact that you can just set up the fly by itself as a quick shelter.  Plus the fact that they can be set up on cots is pretty cool too.

Before You Buy - LiteFighter 1 Combat Tent - Setup

LiteFighter Military Tent 4 Season Conversion Kit
Link Posted: 2/24/2021 4:57:55 PM EDT
[#23]
[

BTW anyone have any idea how old the shelter halfs with buttons were? We were guessing Spanish American War or maybe WW1 Maybe piccolo knows.
View Quote

The button ones with two triangle ends started in WWII and were made through the 1950s. Then the snap ones appeared.

Prior to that the shelter halves only had one "end"  because they figured you could put 4 together which apparently nobody ever did.

Before that they had no ends and were just a rectangle of canvas or cotton drill, those date back to the Civil War.

Back then the Army had bigger common tents, an A frame looking thing that 4-6 guys could sleep butt to nut in:

These were always with the rest of a unit's baggage and invariably got lost or left behind or never made it to where the men were.  Infantry outran their baggage train all the time.  So the Army just expected soldiers to curl up with their wool blanket wherever they could.  In the ditch, over in yonder apple orchard, in that pasture amongst the cow patties, etc.  

Obviously that sucked and when the shelter half was issued soldiers thought it was one of the greatest inventions ever.  Fast forward a hundred years and soldiers think they are the worst invention ever.

Link Posted: 2/24/2021 5:02:08 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Ebay.  Not even sure why i bought it.
View Quote

...in the hopes the chic from your avatar might someday knock on your door and ask to do an 'overnight military exercise'?
Link Posted: 2/24/2021 5:04:50 PM EDT
[#25]
You guys know there is this cool stuff called silnylon that weights about 1/10th that and about a quarter of the packed size right?

Technology has come along way.

Want a cool, very versatile basic shelter?

Seek Outside DST tarp
Link Posted: 2/24/2021 5:09:00 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

The button ones with two triangle ends started in WWII and were made through the 1950s. Then the snap ones appeared.

Prior to that the shelter halves only had one "end"  because they figured you could put 4 together which apparently nobody ever did.

Before that they had no ends and were just a rectangle of canvas or cotton drill, those date back to the Civil War.

https://www.minecreek.info/field-fortifications/images/8815_11_24-shelter-half-tent-civil-war.jpg

http://ironbrigader.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/11/Federal-Picket-Station-Near-Bull-Run-1862.jpg

https://ironbrigader.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/11/Shelter-Tents.jpg?f69be1&f69be1

Back then the Army had bigger common tents, an A frame looking thing that 4-6 guys could sleep butt to nut in:

http://www.revwar75.com/library/rees/images/hgreen2.jpg

These were always with the rest of a unit's baggage and invariably got lost or left behind or never made it to where the men were.  So the Army just expected soldiers to curl up with their wool blanket wherever they could.  In the ditch, over in yonder apple orchard, in that pasture, etc.  

Obviously that sucked and when the shelter half was issued soldiers thought it was one of the greatest inventions ever.  Fast forward a hundred years and soldiers think they are the worst invention ever.

View Quote

Cool, thanks for posting that.
Link Posted: 2/24/2021 5:17:20 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

There were some which were insulated for Winter use.

In the 60's and 70's they were called "Rubber Maidens!"

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/220317/s-l1600__1__jpg-1839644.JPG
View Quote

In the Marine Corps we called it the rubber bitch.

God, I probably still have one somewhere in the house.

Anyone else remember the condensation that would accumulate inside the tent?  If you accidentally hit the canvas or the pole, it was like a mini rainstorm.

ETA:  Oh yeah, anyone ever go to the field and team up with the guy who was issued the button shelter half and you had the snap?
Link Posted: 2/24/2021 5:20:01 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Those stakes better not have any dirt on them either when you trued them back in
View Quote

Trying to turn in my gear during outprocessing was among the worst experiences I ever had in the Army. I had heard CIF was full of dicks, but no one really prepared me for how bad it was. Shit I had literally never used since it was issued to me, they would reject for being too dirty. I'd get sent back outside, scrub all the rejected shit with random cleaning products, wait in line again for anywhere between 30 mins to an hour, then get a few new items accepted and repeat the whole process again with the rejects. It took about two and a half entire days to turn my gear in and I became convinced they were just flipping a coin for every item. After the first full day I inquired if they could just send me the bill for the shit they wouldn't take. I still remember the guy getting a smile on his face as he explained how I could do that, but it would just keep me there even longer. If there is a hell, I imagine it being something like CIF.
Link Posted: 2/24/2021 5:20:16 PM EDT
[#29]
Used them in the infantry and if done right, weren't too bad.  I have to state, that when I enlisted, we were still using the old Spaghetti straps so we had to carry these.

As an pilot Warrant Officer, issue was two halves.  Done right, it's not bad for a single person.

As someone else stated, get two ponchos, at 6 bungee cords and 6 extra tent stakes.

The grommets on the poncho will fit on top of the tent poles, then use the bungee cords and extra stakes to stretch out the poncho and make into a rain fly/sun shade.

The second poncho can be used as a floor.

Everything works better pulled tight.

Link Posted: 2/24/2021 5:26:43 PM EDT
[#30]
You know, the Germans had it down to something of a science, putting zeltbahns together.  They could make squad tents with flies and everything!

ETA:  here toy go

Link Posted: 2/24/2021 5:32:16 PM EDT
[#31]
No thanks. I've slept in one enough.
Link Posted: 2/24/2021 5:38:00 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

Trying to turn in my gear during outprocessing was among the worst experiences I ever had in the Army. I had heard CIF was full of dicks, but no one really prepared me for how bad it was. Shit I had literally never used since it was issued to me, they would reject for being too dirty. I'd get sent back outside, scrub all the rejected shit with random cleaning products, wait in line again for anywhere between 30 mins to an hour, then get a few new items accepted and repeat the whole process again with the rejects. It took about two and a half entire days to turn my gear in and I became convinced they were just flipping a coin for every item. After the first full day I inquired if they could just send me the bill for the shit they wouldn't take. I still remember the guy getting a smile on his face as he explained how I could do that, but it would just keep me there even longer. If there is a hell, I imagine it being something like CIF.
View Quote

I was in a COHORT unit so I had plenty of company in line at CIF when it was time go (probably 200 guys on a very small post in Germany, 1990).   The first two days, they literally cleared probably 40 soldiers total.  By day 3, fuckers were lining up at 4am like they were waiting for concert tickets.   Some Battalion level officer of the day came by on his rounds and asked what the hell everyone was doing.

A couple hours later, CIF opened up and we all filed through dropping our junk in large boxes.... everyone cleared in about 3 hours.  

Sometimes the little guys do catch a break.

EDIT: One and only time I slept in a pup-tent was during PLDC at Ft. Hood in 1987.  It freaking snowed on us... go figure.    I preferred the top of the turret.   Roll out your sleeping mat, fart sack, climb in with a change of clothes so they are warm in the morning.  Put your boots, protective mask and .45 where you can find them in a hurry, drape your fart sack with your poncho and tuck it in so you don't drown in a sudden deluge.  Use your poncho liner balled up as a pillow... and if it gets god awful cold, use it to block the opening in the mummy bag so you don't get frostbite on your nose.  

In the morning, get dressed, then have your driver start the engine so you can blow-dry your sleeping bag before putting everything away...  Be wary, the grunts hear the engine start and will come running.   If you time it just right, your bag will be dry just about the time they get there, and you can kill the engine to "save fuel"..  lol
Link Posted: 2/24/2021 5:40:36 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
2 shelter halfs.

Worthless except for laying out for inspection, using as a tarp, losing the pins, poles or rope, and taking up room in your barracks wall locker or a trunk at home.

View Quote

They could hold in an impressive amount if heat with just a little bit inside it. Spend many a frozen night glad we had something.
Link Posted: 2/24/2021 5:41:03 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
I can smell it from here.
View Quote

Link Posted: 2/24/2021 5:42:21 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
That thing is the personification of the military making camping miserable.  We had a FTX in SC in the middle of August and they forced us to keep one end of the thing closed.  Turned it into a fucking oven.  No sleep. 0/10, absolutely would not use again.

ETA: Oh!  The poles are absolute shit and will break if you look at the wrong.  Have fun.
View Quote

The flip side of the heat advantage in winter.

But why even use them? Basic training?

I don't think we ever set ours up then.
Link Posted: 2/24/2021 5:44:44 PM EDT
[#36]
Is this relevant?
Solo Overnighter Using Old School Military Gear and Campfire Chili Mac
Link Posted: 2/24/2021 5:44:45 PM EDT
[#37]
Doesn't look safe.

Link Posted: 2/24/2021 5:46:12 PM EDT
[#38]
I had a similar one when I was a kid.  Wonder where that thing ended up.
Link Posted: 2/24/2021 5:49:14 PM EDT
[#39]
My Platoon Sgt.  Only time I ever saw him sleep on the ground.  Operation Free Lion in 1988 near Hannover  (if I remember correctly)

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 2/24/2021 5:49:57 PM EDT
[#40]
I read the thread title and just assumed that this was an Aimless thread. Did you buy a cheap hatchet and spade as well?
Link Posted: 2/24/2021 5:54:53 PM EDT
[#41]
GP Tiny
Link Posted: 2/24/2021 5:58:58 PM EDT
[#42]
View Quote

I guess for some guys they overlapped. But I never slept in one of those within years of when I first saw those "new" sleeping bags. It probably helps we were always in the field with frame tents.
Link Posted: 2/24/2021 5:59:54 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
That thing is the personification of the military making camping miserable.  We had a FTX in SC in the middle of August and they forced us to keep one end of the thing closed.  Turned it into a fucking oven.  No sleep. 0/10, absolutely would not use again.

ETA: Oh!  The poles are absolute shit and will break if you look at the wrong.  Have fun.
View Quote

Link Posted: 2/24/2021 6:02:46 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

Beat me to it good sir! Those fucking things were a pain in the ass.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
2 shelter halfs.

Worthless except for laying out for inspection, using as a tarp, losing the pins, poles or rope, and taking up room in your barracks wall locker or a trunk at home.

Beat me to it good sir! Those fucking things were a pain in the ass.

The one half I had in BCT had mold on it. Was also shorted a stake. One of the DS had a spare for me upon turn in day. DS Tom was a cool dude.Never ran into him after BCT. Heard he retired as a MSG.
Link Posted: 2/24/2021 6:04:14 PM EDT
[#45]
Link Posted: 2/24/2021 6:05:42 PM EDT
[#46]
I think the US military has been using that same design since the Civil War.
Link Posted: 2/24/2021 6:06:20 PM EDT
[#47]
check out corporals corner on youtube, hes done may videos about how to make life better using that hunk of shit.
Link Posted: 2/24/2021 6:06:43 PM EDT
[#48]
Be sure to open a can of sardines and spread it around the campsite to keep the skunks away. Just keep the empty can inside the tent to be sure.
Link Posted: 2/24/2021 6:07:04 PM EDT
[#49]
Link Posted: 2/24/2021 6:08:06 PM EDT
[#50]
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top