Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 12
Link Posted: 2/23/2021 10:27:09 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

I don't get your attitude, Ben. Why are you defending such obvious fuck-ups? Is it because 'backing the blue' no matter what, is at your core?
View Quote
I haven't defended the police one bit. I have suggested that the kid would have been better off if he had stopped and talked.
Link Posted: 2/23/2021 10:27:15 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 2/23/2021 10:27:21 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Im starting to see why black people hate the police.
View Quote

So, it's working.
Link Posted: 2/23/2021 10:28:15 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
That isn't a difficult choice at all. It's always easier to explain why you did nothing, than it is to explain why you did something that went terribly wrong.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
That isn't a difficult choice at all. It's always easier to explain why you did nothing, than it is to explain why you did something that went terribly wrong.

liike the cops who sat on their hands outside the school during the parkland shootings?
Link Posted: 2/23/2021 10:28:21 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Are you trying to justify these cops actions because the manners of the person they took freedoms away from?

Untucking real!

Get the fuck outta here. Being rude isn't worthy of an arrest.
View Quote
I have not suggested that. Others have but I have not.
Link Posted: 2/23/2021 10:28:51 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

[roll window down]
Hey man, you okay? You want a ride?
Fuck off pig.
Pfft. Okee dokee. Have a good night.
[roll window up]
View Quote

Exactly. I do this daily. It’s not illegal to be an asshole.
Link Posted: 2/23/2021 10:29:00 AM EDT
[#7]
Didn't watch the video, but I have no problem with people that want to freeze to death. It's a somewhat free country still.
Link Posted: 2/23/2021 10:29:04 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
View Quote

Well on your way to seeing the big picture...
Link Posted: 2/23/2021 10:29:20 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

False.  The Chief obviously agrees.
View Quote

Chiefs are politicians who make political decisions. It politically makes sense to drop this time bomb.
Link Posted: 2/23/2021 10:29:23 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

If I'm not committing a crime and I tell you to eff off, then eff off.     You can talk to me all you'd like.  I don't have to answer.
View Quote

Most cops can't handle being seen as the one in the wrong, no matter how trivial the situation. Once they initiate contact with a person, it has to end with them looking good, or justified, or at least having "won" the encounter. They can't think they are tucking tail or walking away looking stupid. They have to save some face. Their egos will not allow for any other outcome.
Link Posted: 2/23/2021 10:29:43 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Didn't watch the video, but I have no problem with people that want to freeze to death. It's a somewhat free country still.
View Quote

Not in Texas
Link Posted: 2/23/2021 10:31:54 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Most cops can't handle being seen as the one in the wrong, no matter how trivial the situation. Once they initiate contact with a person, it has to end with them looking good, or justified, or at least having "won" the encounter. They can't think they are tucking tail or walking away looking stupid. They have to save some face. Their egos will not allow for any other outcome.
View Quote
You know "most" cops.
Link Posted: 2/23/2021 10:32:44 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I love how common it is for people to be charged with "resisting" with no underlying charge.

Walking down the street committing no crime, no PC for any detainment, but somehow they decide to big dick you and suddenly when you get angry about being falsely detained, you have now committed a crime.

I'm sure they will be loved tenderly.
View Quote

You think its bad here, check out Canada.  Skip to 1:40 in the vid;

Link Posted: 2/23/2021 10:33:48 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

liike the cops who sat on their hands outside the school during the parkland shootings?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Doing something "terribly wrong" during Parkland would consist of the police running in and shooting a bunch of fleeing students...so which one would've been a better decision under those circumstances?
Link Posted: 2/23/2021 10:33:59 AM EDT
[#15]
There are a lot of questionable cop interactions posted here daily. Most have some form of questionability to them one way or another. I like to always play devils advocate and usually the cops are justified in what they do, even if bad outcomes come out of it.

But this situation is completely fucked up.  It fucking outrages me that cops can be this fucking STUPID at this time in policing. It’s a damn welfare check.  Ride past and ask the guy if he is okay and clear the damn call. He made it VERY clear he doesn’t want the man in his life and now the man is going to send him a check for clearly violating his rights.

Thanks Plano, TX for once again setting us back in time and fucking up the good work 99% of cops do daily.
Link Posted: 2/23/2021 10:34:47 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Surely you're not suggesting that a guy walking down the street in a T shirt is comparable to children getting gunned down.
Link Posted: 2/23/2021 10:35:10 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Chiefs are politicians who make political decisions. It politically makes sense to drop this time bomb.
View Quote

It was just as much a legal decision as a political one.  The kid broke no laws.  The law specifically states you have to use a sidewalk if it's available and if it's accessible.  It was covered in snow, therefore not accessible.  Cops should be fired and department sued.
Link Posted: 2/23/2021 10:35:24 AM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 2/23/2021 10:35:55 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:Being polite will get you a long way in this world.
View Quote

That is true.  However, there's no laws against being a complete and total jerk.  If that was the case, most of the population would be behind bars.

FWIW, I was a reserve deputy back in the 00s.  The deputy that was my trainer and mentor taught me to use my head and THINK.  For example, he would sit on the county road leading to a rural high school.  When a teenager would pass him driving too fast, he would pull them over, go up to the car, and say something like, "Hey, I just wanted to tell you that you've got a really nice looking car.  Take care and have a good day."  No mention of speeding, no tickets, but the driver definitely got the message.  He got the teenager to slow down with out a lot of drama.

I was also taught that I am not a law enforcement officer, but a PEACE OFFICER, charge with keeping the peace.  If I had to let someone go to keep the peace, I was to do it.  If I had to arrest someone to keep the peace, I was to do it.  In other words, I had a lot of discretion and didn't have to arrest or cite everyone I came in contact with.

Having said all that, if I was the officer, I would have stopped and asked the guy if he was ok.  I would have even made a joke about him being a better man than I, since no way would I have walked in the snow like he was doing!  I would have also offered him a ride to where he was going to get him out of the snow, and let him know why I was doing this (want to make sure he gets home ok.)  However, if he would have said he didn't want a ride, I would have told him to be careful and wished him well.

Just my opinion, but what I see the most is its the younger officers, the ones that are fresh out of their first hitch in the military, or just out of the academy, that are the most agressive and most "respect my authoratah" types.  Its the older officers, the ones that have been around for a while, that want to do their job with the least amount of fuss.
Link Posted: 2/23/2021 10:36:10 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View Quote

And many cops don't know the law or the constitution and violate the rights of citizens while other cops make excuses and cover for them.
Link Posted: 2/23/2021 10:36:28 AM EDT
[#21]
Literally harassed him trying to find a reason to “detain” him. Fucking scumbags.
Not surprised some are trying to defend this bullshit.
Link Posted: 2/23/2021 10:38:57 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

If you are walking in the middle of the street and impeding traffic flow, you may be committing a crime. I don't know if that was what happened. Seemed they were more going with the welfare check approach, which most states have laws which allow police to detain or arrest you if they have PC to believe you are a harm to yourself or others, even absent a crime.  

Of course the kid could always have stopped for 30 sec and say "yeah, I am all set, I don't want any help, I am walking home which is about 5 min from here, I don't want to talk to you anymore than that, thanks". But that would have been too easy.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

If I'm not committing a crime and I tell you to eff off, then eff off.     You can talk to me all you'd like.  I don't have to answer.

If you are walking in the middle of the street and impeding traffic flow, you may be committing a crime. I don't know if that was what happened. Seemed they were more going with the welfare check approach, which most states have laws which allow police to detain or arrest you if they have PC to believe you are a harm to yourself or others, even absent a crime.  

Of course the kid could always have stopped for 30 sec and say "yeah, I am all set, I don't want any help, I am walking home which is about 5 min from here, I don't want to talk to you anymore than that, thanks". But that would have been too easy.

Really, he was probably cold? He said he was fine and was on his way home from work. He was walking where the snow was the most packed down... which shows he didn't want to walk in deep snow. There was no other traffic on the road, except for the nosy RMA cops.
Link Posted: 2/23/2021 10:39:16 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Nope.
Being polite will get you a long way in this world.
View Quote

Bet the LEO wishes they were more polite right about now.
Link Posted: 2/23/2021 10:39:43 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

This place makes fun of the left while getting a case of the vapors after watching a few videos. You guys are manipulated as bad as anyone else.
Link Posted: 2/23/2021 10:41:23 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Quoted:
I don't get your attitude, Ben. Why are you defending such obvious fuck-ups? Is it because 'backing the blue' no matter what, is at your core?
View Quote
I haven't defended the police one bit. I have suggested that the kid would have been better off if he had stopped and talked.
View Quote
Dennis Wolfberg used to do a bit about how he hated having to pretend he was all into it at DWI check points.  Gee, thanks for randomly hassling me tonight, officer!

Dude was just a random member of the public.
There was no expectation that he behave in a professional or courteous manner.
The same cannot be said about the cops.
Link Posted: 2/23/2021 10:43:09 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Then by God I'll make you respect my authority.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

How was he being a dick?
Stop, turn around and address the person. It wasn't like the kid was on his way to say the planet.

And if I don't?

Then by God I'll make you respect my authority.

Is it wrong that I read that in Cartmans voice ?

Link Posted: 2/23/2021 10:44:08 AM EDT
[#27]
WAs he in the middle of the road?  Looked like he was to the side walking around a large object.
Link Posted: 2/23/2021 10:44:23 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Dennis Wolfberg used to do a bit about how he hated having to pretend he was all into it at DWI check points.  Gee, thanks for randomly hassling me tonight, officer!

Dude was just a random member of the public.
There was no expectation that he behave in a professional or courteous manner.
The same cannot be said about the cops.
View Quote
I don't know who that is.
Link Posted: 2/23/2021 10:45:56 AM EDT
[#29]
Texas: Todays daily dose of racism and stupidity is excused by *rolls a D20* SNOW!
Link Posted: 2/23/2021 10:46:01 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

[roll window down]
Hey man, you okay? You want a ride?
Fuck off pig.
Pfft. Okee dokee. Have a good night.
[roll window up]
View Quote

Link Posted: 2/23/2021 10:48:55 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
There are a lot of questionable cop interactions posted here daily. Most have some form of questionability to them one way or another. I like to always play devils advocate and usually the cops are justified in what they do, even if bad outcomes come out of it.

But this situation is completely fucked up.  It fucking outrages me that cops can be this fucking STUPID at this time in policing. It’s a damn welfare check.  Ride past and ask the guy if he is okay and clear the damn call. He made it VERY clear he doesn’t want the man in his life and now the man is going to send him a check for clearly violating his rights.

Thanks Plano, TX for once again setting us back in time and fucking up the good work 99% of cops do daily.
View Quote

I would say that they didn’t need to even talk to him.  If he doesn’t look in distress, why even roll down the window and initiate contact?  Most calls for service do not legally or by policy require the police to do anything at all.  A bunch of nosy people with nothing better to do, call 911 for all kinds of dumb things.  The police don’t owe them a response just because they dialed the number.  Is there a crime, or an immediate threat to public safety?  If the answer is no, then there’s no government interest in doing anything.
Link Posted: 2/23/2021 10:49:39 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
I love how common it is for people to be charged with "resisting" with no underlying charge.

Walking down the street committing no crime, no PC for any detainment, but somehow they decide to big dick you and suddenly when you get angry about being falsely detained, you have now committed a crime.

I'm sure they will be loved tenderly.
View Quote

Yes, I've always been amused by this. Then people will say, "Well he shouldn't of resisted". Bullshit. You should resist if you haven't committed a crime and they should be held accountable every single time they pull this crap.
Link Posted: 2/23/2021 10:49:56 AM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 2/23/2021 10:51:37 AM EDT
[#34]
Just about all these police encounters have something in common. Resistance and then going full retard. But in this case police get dispatched to a call to check the welfare they come up on a guy walking in the freezing cold and just a T-shirt. They don’t know really how far he’s going or where he’s really headed. But let’s say The police say screw it and drive away. Next morning the guy is found frozen to death is the family going to sue the police for not doing anything?
Link Posted: 2/23/2021 10:51:45 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

I would say that they didn’t need to even talk to him.  If he doesn’t look in distress, why even roll down the window and initiate contact?  Most calls for service do not legally or by policy require the police to do anything at all.  A bunch of nosy people with nothing better to do, call 911 for all kinds of dumb things.  The police don’t owe them a response just because they dialed the number.  Is there a crime, or an immediate threat to public safety?  If the answer is no, then there’s no government interest in doing anything.
View Quote

Sure, but I personally don't see an issue rolling alongside and asking him if he needs help or would like a ride home.   If he says anything other than yes, "have a nice day" and drive on.
Link Posted: 2/23/2021 10:53:13 AM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 2/23/2021 10:55:54 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

This place makes fun of the left while getting a case of the vapors after watching a few videos. You guys are manipulated as bad as anyone else.
View Quote

Or maybe we see a fucked-up situation for what it is, and don’t automatically dismiss it for political, racial, or whatever reasons.

Or, just maybe, a similar scenario has happened to some of us, back in the days before cell phones and body cameras. The only difference is that the kid’s head didn’t bounce off every hard object between the ground and the holding cell. At least there might be some accountability these days.
Link Posted: 2/23/2021 10:56:10 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Should have lasted 8 seconds.

Police: Hey, you OK? Need a ride?
Subject: No, I'm good.
Police: Have a nice day.
View Quote
What he said.
Link Posted: 2/23/2021 10:57:22 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
I don't get the outrage here. A person walking out in at or near record cold in north Texas with a T-shirt on will get talked to. If he had rolled back the attitude he would have gone home.
View Quote

I see no reason why the cops stopped him other then he was black and they're stupid. All they had to do was roll up next to him and ask "you ok?". Then bugout when the guy confirms he is. If you don't get the outrage then you might be the pOlIcE. If not, maybe you should get a job as one.
Link Posted: 2/23/2021 10:58:39 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

Sure, but I personally don't see an issue rolling alongside and asking him if he needs help or would like a ride home.   If he says anything other than yes, "have a nice day" and drive on.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Contact = liability.  Why be extra?  It takes about 5 seconds of observation to see if someone is in distress because of the cold.  I can articulate very easily that the person looked fine and did not flag down a marked police car for any assistance.
Link Posted: 2/23/2021 10:59:32 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

That makes sense but are the cops in any way liable if they let him continue on with a t-shirt in extremely rare frigid weather? Say he is found dead the next day and his family is on the news about how he was a schizophrenic having and episode and cops let him keep walking around in a t-shirt in below zero weather? If I was the cop there I know that would be running through the back of my mind. Not sure what the right answer here is but damn if people cant just interact better with each other. “Officer I’m fine, my house is two blocks away. My car wouldn't start and I didn't bring a jacket with me. Have a nice night.”
View Quote

What about never talking to the police if not required?
Link Posted: 2/23/2021 11:02:16 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Just about all these police encounters have something in common. Resistance and then going full retard. But in this case police get dispatched to a call to check the welfare they come up on a guy walking in the freezing cold and just a T-shirt. They don’t know really how far he’s going or where he’s really headed. But let’s say The police say screw it and drive away. Next morning the guy is found frozen to death is the family going to sue the police for not doing anything?
View Quote

He told them he lived right down the street and towards the end even pointed at his house.

Also, you don't freeze to death at 30F regardless of what you're wearing, so long as you're moving.  Around here it's pretty common to see people out and about in those temps wearing less than he was.  

At one point when the cops ask him why he won't stop he even says "because it's cold and I need to keep moving".
Link Posted: 2/23/2021 11:05:55 AM EDT
[#43]
Lol. Those cops are turds.
Link Posted: 2/23/2021 11:06:51 AM EDT
[#44]
Link Posted: 2/23/2021 11:07:06 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

I'm sure they will be loved tenderly Get 2 weeks extra paid vacation .
View Quote

^^FIFY
Link Posted: 2/23/2021 11:07:11 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

Or maybe we see a fucked-up situation for what it is, and don’t automatically dismiss it for political, racial, or whatever reasons.

Or, just maybe, a similar scenario has happened to some of us, back in the days before cell phones and body cameras. The only difference is that the kid’s head didn’t bounce off every hard object between the ground and the holding cell. At least there might be some accountability these days.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thanks for proving my point.
Link Posted: 2/23/2021 11:08:09 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
View Quote

People refuse help from police and EMS all the time, to end up in various degrees of messed up or dead.  That’s on them, and their rights aren’t violated.  I’d think that’s a much easier lawsuit to deal with, compared to excessive/unnecessary force and civil rights violation, after dumping someone in the snow, while trying to “help” them.
Link Posted: 2/23/2021 11:10:20 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
I don't get the outrage here. A person walking out in at or near record cold in north Texas with a T-shirt on will get talked to. If he had rolled back the attitude he would have gone home.
View Quote

Is there a law against walking in, at, or near record cold?

Is there a law against having an attitude?

No to both? Then get the fuck out of here with that nonsense. Mentality like yours is the reason most people hate the police and their apologists. If it’s a crime then stop and arrest. If there is no sign of a crime then ask if everything is ok, would they like a ride to their destination, or would they like to have someone called to come get them and they can wait for that ride in the warm cruiser. If they decline then have a good night sir and go on your way and let them go their way.

All you cops out there need to stop looking at everyone as a criminal.
Link Posted: 2/23/2021 11:13:47 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

Contact = liability.  Why be extra?  It takes about 5 seconds of observation to see if someone is in distress because of the cold.  I can articulate very easily that the person looked fine and did not flag down a marked police car for any assistance.
View Quote

Do or don't.  I just said I don't see a problem with it.
Link Posted: 2/23/2021 11:14:35 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

Thanks for proving my point.
View Quote

Are taking our own observations and experiences, and building opinions from them, the result of "manipulation"?

There's not much room for "manipulation" in the OP either. It's clearly a stupid call by our dear LEO. I'm the first to withhold judgement and recognize the gray area in a shitty situation.

But fuck if all you thin-blue-line'rs don't make it harder and harder for me.
Page / 12
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top