BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 12
Link Posted: 2/23/2021 9:54:46 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I don't get the outrage here. A person walking out in at or near record cold in north Texas with a T-shirt on will get talked to. If he had rolled back the attitude he would have gone home.
View Quote

He did get talked to.

"you okay?"

"yes."

"Alright sir, have a good evening."
Link Posted: 2/23/2021 9:55:04 AM EDT
[#2]
Apparently walking in snow makes all the nazis so mad.
Link Posted: 2/23/2021 9:55:04 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Im starting to see why black people hate the police.

better late than never i suppose. it doesn't matter if you're guilty or innocent, they're not on your side.
Link Posted: 2/23/2021 9:58:13 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 2/23/2021 9:58:30 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Stop, turn around and address the person. It wasn't like the kid was on his way to say the planet.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

How was he being a dick?
Stop, turn around and address the person. It wasn't like the kid was on his way to say the planet.

And if I don't?
Link Posted: 2/23/2021 9:58:40 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
"Hey man it's pretty cold out to be walking in just a t-shirt, are you ok? Would you like a ride?"

"No, ok well if you need anything give us a holler. Be safe."

View Quote

That makes sense but are the cops in any way liable if they let him continue on with a t-shirt in extremely rare frigid weather? Say he is found dead the next day and his family is on the news about how he was a schizophrenic having and episode and cops let him keep walking around in a t-shirt in below zero weather? If I was the cop there I know that would be running through the back of my mind. Not sure what the right answer here is but damn if people cant just interact better with each other. “Officer I’m fine, my house is two blocks away. My car wouldn't start and I didn't bring a jacket with me. Have a nice night.”
Link Posted: 2/23/2021 9:58:57 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

You “let” people walk around in the cold?  Well no fucking shit you do, this is a free country and you’re not their mom.

“Let”. Pfft. GTFO.
View Quote

Isn't it amazing how many people don't seem to understand this whole "freedom" thing?

The most fundamental right of all is the right to be LEFT THE FUCK ALONE.  In fact, pretty much all other rights derive from it.
Link Posted: 2/23/2021 10:02:30 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Cliff notes:

Dude was walking down the middle of the street.
Somebody called it in.
Police show up and want to talk to him.
He says no and keeps walking.
They tell him he's being detained.
He wants to leave.
Fight ensues and he gets arrested.

eta: from Plano PD's FB page, looks like they released the guy and have started an admin investigation. The chief fell all over himself about the race of the guy so it'd be safe to assume if the guy was white there be no apology or internal investigation.
View Quote

WRONG
Link Posted: 2/23/2021 10:02:45 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

That makes sense but are the cops in any way liable if they let him continue on with a t-shirt in extremely rare frigid weather? Say he is found dead the next day and his family is on the news about how he was a schizophrenic having and episode and cops let him keep walking around in a t-shirt in below zero weather? If I was the cop there I know that would be running through the back of my mind. Not sure what the right answer here is but damn if people cant just interact better with each other. “Officer I’m fine, my house is two blocks away. My car wouldn't start and I didn't bring a jacket with me. Have a nice night.”
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
"Hey man it's pretty cold out to be walking in just a t-shirt, are you ok? Would you like a ride?"

"No, ok well if you need anything give us a holler. Be safe."

I've seen a lot of posts by apparent cops or their hangers on that always try to excuse bad interactions by saying that if they did nothing people would complain about that.  Even if it's true, what is the better outcome, people complaining on the internet (inevitable no matter what), or getting the living shit righteously sued out of you and your department for not being smart enough to know that sometimes you just leave people the fuck alone no matter how black they are?
Link Posted: 2/23/2021 10:02:47 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View Quote

No.  Warren v District of Columbia.  Police have no duty to protect you.

Also, he told the cops he lived right down the street at the start of the interaction, and at the end of the interaction he pointed at his house and said "I literally live right there".
Link Posted: 2/23/2021 10:03:52 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
View Quote

I was in law enforcement for a little over 26 years and there's a reason black people are scrutinized more heavily; they statistically commit more crime.  Sorry if that pisses off the many libs here but it's a proven fact.
Link Posted: 2/23/2021 10:04:36 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 2/23/2021 10:05:02 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I let them walk around in the cold. Wait long enough and one way or another it won’t be anyone’s problem anymore. Don’t want to ID? Cool Ill be back when you get hit by a car or freeze to death. We can get prints off a frozen corpse pretty easy or the hospital tag will have his info. If he makes it home, awesome.
View Quote

Constitution a problem for you? Get's in the way that pesky thing.
Link Posted: 2/23/2021 10:06:42 AM EDT
[#14]
You walk down the middle of any street in my area, in any weather, no matter what color you are, you are gonna draw some LE and/or civilian interest.....No one is "special.".....
Link Posted: 2/23/2021 10:06:44 AM EDT
[#15]
At most that would have been are you ok chat and if he's capable of self care smile and wave.  
I've had several where the person needed medical attention and would have either became inculpated  or possible died
Link Posted: 2/23/2021 10:06:53 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Drive by guy, slow down, ask ''everything cool sir?" person says yes, ''OK, have a good day sir.'' Drive on.
View Quote

Link Posted: 2/23/2021 10:07:21 AM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 2/23/2021 10:07:24 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
I don't get the outrage here. A person walking out in at or near record cold in north Texas with a T-shirt on will get talked to. If he had rolled back the attitude he would have gone home.
View Quote

You fucking serious Clarke?
Link Posted: 2/23/2021 10:07:46 AM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 2/23/2021 10:09:37 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
You walk down the middle of any street in my area, in any weather, no matter what color you are, you are gonna draw some LE and/or civilian interest.....No one is "special.".....
View Quote

Do you live on the interstate?

Every town I've ever been/lived in has low traffic side streets where often people walk down the middle of the road.  

Hell my neighborhood now is a very nice residential area and people walk and kids play in the street all the time.  Nobody calls the cops about that
Link Posted: 2/23/2021 10:09:43 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Young cops always think that the "we want to talk to you" justifies pestering someone repeatedly over something minor when they say they don't want to talk.  Let the population thin itself out if they want to walk in the snow.  Stop this whole welfare-check-everything bullshit.

Mark back in service, go fucking relax at 711.

She's clearly going to be promoted soon.
View Quote

Taught by the instructors. They teach what you can get away with rather than what's right.
Link Posted: 2/23/2021 10:09:53 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Quoted:
I let them walk around in the cold. Wait long enough and one way or another it won’t be anyone’s problem anymore. Don’t want to ID? Cool Ill be back when you get hit by a car or freeze to death. We can get prints off a frozen corpse pretty easy or the hospital tag will have his info. If he makes it home, awesome.
View Quote

Constitution a problem for you? Get's in the way that pesky thing.
View Quote
Reading comprehension a problem for you?
Link Posted: 2/23/2021 10:10:09 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

I was in law enforcement for a little over 26 years and there's a reason black people are scrutinized more heavily; they statistically commit more crime.  Sorry if that pisses off the many libs here but it's a proven fact.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yes they do. But that doesn't give LE the right to arrest blacks that aren't committing crimes.
Link Posted: 2/23/2021 10:10:33 AM EDT
[#24]
I'm gonna start letting my local PD know every time I'm going to mow the yard when it gets warm just so they don't think it's suspicious that someone is outside.
Link Posted: 2/23/2021 10:10:36 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
View Quote

Where are you supposed to walk when the sidewalks are covered with snow almost up to your knee?  Also, did you even watch the video, the cop car was the only vehicle on the road for the entire time of the encounter and he was in no way blocking them from passing.
Link Posted: 2/23/2021 10:11:31 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

[residentcrew]So you were a do nothing cop?[/residentcrew]
View Quote

Trying too hard.
Link Posted: 2/23/2021 10:12:27 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
View Quote

Look, I realize you Texans had to suffer 5 whole days of snow recently, but in the rest of the US it isn't that uncommon. I'm not trudging my ass along the sidewalk in 2 feet of snow when the street is already clear.
Link Posted: 2/23/2021 10:13:01 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

Every town I've ever been/lived in has low traffic side streets where often people walk down the middle of the road.  

Hell my neighborhood now is a very nice residential area and people walk and kids play in the street all the time.  Nobody calls the cops about that
View Quote

Nope.....People in my area have more sense and good manners than to walk in the street................Kids are not allowed to play in the street either. That is why God invented yards.....
Link Posted: 2/23/2021 10:13:28 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Taught by the instructors. They teach what you can get away with rather than what's right.
View Quote
Actually, most of my instructors taught me that there was no more important concern than "CYA."
On my own, I figured out that the best way to cover my ass was to have as little interaction with the locals as possible.
Link Posted: 2/23/2021 10:13:51 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
View Quote

Because having an attitude isn’t a crime.  He didn’t want their help.  He made that very clear. They should have said “have a good night” and drove off.  Instead, they let their bullshit egos fuck up their career and likely more.

Guy will get a payday.
Link Posted: 2/23/2021 10:14:05 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

View Quote

It's a literal toss up on this one whether there was an actual "call" about him or not.  I doubt there was since his walk was only 5 minutes and they interacted with him while he was walking for a few.  Sub 3 mins response time by police to a report of "a man walking"?  My money is on cop saw him and lied about the call.
Link Posted: 2/23/2021 10:15:20 AM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 2/23/2021 10:16:27 AM EDT
[#33]
The actual law in TX:

Sec. 552.006.  USE OF SIDEWALK.  (a)  A pedestrian may not walk along and on a roadway if an adjacent sidewalk is provided and is accessible to the pedestrian.

(b)  If a sidewalk is not provided, a pedestrian walking along and on a highway shall if possible walk on:

(1)  the left side of the roadway;  or

(2)  the shoulder of the highway facing oncoming traffic.
View Quote

No shit the charges were dropped, it would have gotten laughed out of court and made all the cops look like even bigger imbeciles than they were.
Link Posted: 2/23/2021 10:18:03 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
"What's your name?" "Where are you headed?" You think the police lady was going to mail him ski jacket when she got home? She wasn't being nice, she was playing "papers please"
View Quote
I guess he should have responded with eat shit and die copper because clearly he wasn't dominant enough.
Link Posted: 2/23/2021 10:19:49 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
There was a thread here about a woman who was out for a walk. a Texas cop came up to her and started bothering her. She figured he was a perv so she ran away, he tackled her and arrested her for walking in the street, or walking on the wrong side . He then claimed he thought this suburban lady out for a walk "was a lookout for a burglary ring" There was much defense of charging people
for walking the wrong way on the edge of the road as a "investigative technique" "I do that all the time"
View Quote

That one was embarrassing for the cops here in that thread.
Link Posted: 2/23/2021 10:20:42 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

If you are walking in the middle of the street and impeding traffic flow, you may be committing a crime. I don't know if that was what happened. Seemed they were more going with the welfare check approach, which most states have laws which allow police to detain or arrest you if they have PC to believe you are a harm to yourself or others, even absent a crime.  

Of course the kid could always have stopped for 30 sec and say "yeah, I am all set, I don't want any help, I am walking home which is about 5 min from here, I don't want to talk to you anymore than that, thanks". But that would have been too easy.

View Quote

Did you even watch the video?  He literally said all that(just maybe not in the tone the police thought he should have).

The cops fucked up big time here. If walking in the street is so “arrest-able”, they shouldn’t have played the “we are here to help you” bullshit. Pull up and explain why you are there and do your job. If arresting black people walking in the street is what we are doing now, why have we set precedent all last year without making those arrests?  Because that’s a bullshit charge they had to make up to fit the agenda of arresting this guy because they didn’t like his attitude.  

Fuck those cops, coming from a cop working in one of the worst cities to be a cop in.  They just hurt their entire departments reputation over some shady shit and I hope they fucking get fired.
Link Posted: 2/23/2021 10:21:27 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

I cover myself better by recording my interaction and actually asking if he needs help.
If he is found dead later frozen in a ditch what is going to look better, me offering him help and him declining or me lying and saying I didn't see him?
I'm not a liar.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Mine's better. "Central, we're at the location. There's nobody here. Mark it 90-X."

I cover myself better by recording my interaction and actually asking if he needs help.
If he is found dead later frozen in a ditch what is going to look better, me offering him help and him declining or me lying and saying I didn't see him?
I'm not a liar.
It's not a lie if you believe it.
Link Posted: 2/23/2021 10:21:32 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Getting sued after you rough them up  is one way to find out who someone is

"who do I make this check out to?"
View Quote

Yeah, but they wanted to know NOW, damnit!!  Not into delayed gratification...
Link Posted: 2/23/2021 10:21:58 AM EDT
[#39]
I'm surprised he survived his encounter with the police.
Link Posted: 2/23/2021 10:22:26 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

Because having an attitude isn’t a crime.  He didn’t want their help.  He made that very clear. They should have said “have a good night” and drove off.  Instead, they let their bullshit egos fuck up their career and likely more.

Guy will get a payday.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Guy will get a payday.

[roll window down]
Hey man, you okay? You want a ride?
Fuck off pig.
Pfft. Okee dokee. Have a good night.
[roll window up]
Link Posted: 2/23/2021 10:22:31 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
I guess he should have responded with eat shit and die copper because clearly he wasn't dominant enough.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
"What's your name?" "Where are you headed?" You think the police lady was going to mail him ski jacket when she got home? She wasn't being nice, she was playing "papers please"

I don’t get your attitude, Ben. Why are you defending such obvious fuck-ups? Is it because ‘backing the blue’ no matter what, is at your core?
Link Posted: 2/23/2021 10:22:47 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Do you often talk to people by keeping your back to them?
View Quote

Are you trying to justify these cops actions because the manners of the person they took freedoms away from?

Untucking real!

Get the fuck outta here. Being rude isn’t worthy of an arrest.
Link Posted: 2/23/2021 10:23:16 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

Guy will get a payday.
View Quote

Not only that, but if they had been paying attention for the past few years, alarm bells should have been going off in their heads telling them to clear this call as fast as possible. Single black male teen walking down the street who clearly doesn't want to interact with you and you think the best course of action is the force a confrontation over his welfare? How did that end up going for them? lol

Link Posted: 2/23/2021 10:24:23 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

Not only that, but if they had been paying attention for the past few years, alarm bells should have been going off in their heads telling them to clear this call as fast as possible. Single black male teen walking down the street who clearly doesn't want to interact with you and you think the best course of action is the force a confrontation over his welfare? How did that end up going for them? lol

View Quote

He even said, “If you’re worried about my welfare, why you throwing me in the snow??”
Link Posted: 2/23/2021 10:24:43 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

I did. Apologizing for doing something does not erase that something from happening. You said he wasn't breaking any laws. It appears he may have. In which case they (the police) can detain and ID him.

I am NOT saying that would be the best course of action, but I am saying it is legal to do so and refusing to stop when ordered to do so.

I wonder if those particular cops will ever check on someone walking in the street in the snow wearing a T shirt in 10 degree Texas again.
View Quote

False.  The Chief obviously agrees.
Link Posted: 2/23/2021 10:25:11 AM EDT
[#46]
We're Police! We're not trained to handle this kind of violence!

Somebody had to post this
Link Posted: 2/23/2021 10:26:00 AM EDT
[#47]
I was doing the same think a little north of Plano.

Sidewalks were not clear.
Wearing a t-shirt.

Wet shoes suck and it wasn't that cold.
Link Posted: 2/23/2021 10:26:10 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

And if I don't?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

How was he being a dick?

And if I don't?

Then by God I'll make you respect my authority.
Link Posted: 2/23/2021 10:26:21 AM EDT
[#49]
The problem society is having right now is that anonymous people can bring the full force of either the state or a public outrage mob upon your head.
They just make up any claim, call it in and you are treated as if it's true. They can do the same to get you fired, product pulled from the shelves etc.
Link Posted: 2/23/2021 10:26:56 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
I wonder if those particular cops will ever check on someone walking in the street in the snow wearing a T shirt in 10 degree Texas again.
View Quote

Probably not, one way or another.
Page / 12
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top