BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 5
Link Posted: 2/23/2021 8:45:02 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

I'm looking forward to checking out the far east of Russia sometime.
View Quote

If there would be one part of Russia I'd love to see it would be the RFE and Siberia.
Link Posted: 2/23/2021 8:46:11 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
It’s Independence Day so every city except for Narva is getting a NATO fly-over,can’t have military aircraft too close to the border.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/56204/0A8A1523-896E-47AF-AAF3-FC6EF950E971_jpe-1838620.JPG

View Quote

Happy Estonian Independence Day!
Link Posted: 2/23/2021 8:46:44 PM EDT
[#3]
Lol really op.
Link Posted: 2/23/2021 8:49:39 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Latvia, Lithuania, Poland, and Czechia, would all be decent places to live.

ETA- not suggesting anyone leave, but there's nice places in all those countries.
View Quote

Yep, all 4 of those places would be on the top of my list if I ever got booted out of here.
Link Posted: 2/23/2021 10:10:03 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

If there would be one part of Russia I'd love to see it would be the RFE and Siberia.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm looking forward to checking out the far east of Russia sometime.

Yeah, I can't wait. IMO Moscow and SPB are absolutely worth seeing too, there's so much history, architecture etc to see it's almost overwhelming.
Link Posted: 2/23/2021 10:43:20 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
So I've spend a few months in Russia by now. I made this video last year showing some of it, a few of you may find it interesting.
Moscow and SPB are nice cities with everything you could want. Kostroma is less so, but not bad. Outside of the cities things change drastically, and quickly.

I'm not a very good host though so sorry about that up front.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YhITMMojymM
View Quote

Enjoyed your video! Thanks!
Link Posted: 2/23/2021 10:52:42 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
So I've spend a few months in Russia by now. I made this video last year showing some of it, a few of you may find it interesting.
Moscow and SPB are nice cities with everything you could want. Kostroma is less so, but not bad. Outside of the cities things change drastically, and quickly.

I'm not a very good host though so sorry about that up front.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YhITMMojymM

Glad you liked it!
Link Posted: 2/23/2021 11:04:31 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Yep, all 4 of those places would be on the top of my list if I ever got booted out of here.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Latvia, Lithuania, Poland, and Czechia, would all be decent places to live.

ETA- not suggesting anyone leave, but there's nice places in all those countries.

Never been to Latvia, but I have lived in Lithuania and Poland.  I can live either place.  It's perfectly pleasant.  

But don't think you will escape.  Both places raised a single generation of anticommunist, in 30 years it will be the same as the rest of Europe.
Link Posted: 2/23/2021 11:30:11 PM EDT
[#9]
Been around a bit

Germany UK Netherlands South Korea

Pretty western cultures.

Still...

Toilet paper
Link Posted: 2/24/2021 3:13:14 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
The problem is that you are seeing the problems that are going on here but not seeing the problems that are going on elsewhere so elsewhere looks better.
View Quote

I have to agree. While it was very appealing to experience a new country as a second home, it has been a challenge.

Language is one of the biggest hurdles if English is uncommon as a second language in your new country. Until you learn to communicate, you will feel isolated and out of place.  

Secondly is the frustration of dealing with a new government. Get ready to re-learn how everything goes, and what is normal. A lot of patience comes in handy.
Link Posted: 2/24/2021 3:26:56 PM EDT
[#11]
+
Quoted:
Once American goes away no where will be safe.
View Quote

Have to say: " You are Absolutely right".   This country keeps the world from imploding.
Link Posted: 2/24/2021 3:31:13 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Beautiful women in some of those countries and fresh food is legit as long as you like going to the market every couple of days.

LOL. No way. I've visited a lot of those countries and have friends there, my quality of life is so significantly better in the USA in just about every circumstance I can think of. I feel as though you've never taken a look at basic things like having no clothing dryers, shitty living space, loans and credit, across the board corruption, tiny markets and merchandise, tiny vehicles, sub par medical standards and a shit ton of other things that would impact your quality of life.

If I was wealthy it would be a different story.

View Quote

Think OP was conveying that you may not have all those luxuries if things keep progressing as they are.
Link Posted: 2/24/2021 3:43:57 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

It's possible that Baltimore is worse. I linked it in my other post and the stats show that Baltimore is more dangerous than even the most violent country in central america is, if it's not as dangerous as Delhi then it could still be a runner up.
View Quote

That's....really not an apples to apples comparison.  If you are living in Mexico, you're not living in 'All of Mexico'.  The murder rate will be whatever it is local to your area.  So, in 2019 it was 134 per 100,000 in Tijuana, 58 per 100,000 in Baltimore, 26/100,000 in Mexico as an average and 5/100,000 in US as an average.  Comparing  'Baltimore' to 'Mexico' doesn't make much sense.
Link Posted: 2/24/2021 4:09:46 PM EDT
[#14]
Forget about anything ending in 'Stan'.  You will be continually shaken down for money, Western standard of living will cost you as much as in US and anything more complicated then a broken leg would likely need to be treated somewhere else.  My top picks would be:
1) Czechia
2) Baltics
3) Georgia

In 1&2 you would have to deal with the fact that the culture is considerably more reserved then in US.  Until you have gotten to know particular person, they will likely be fairly standoffish.  Georgians, on the other hand, are very friendly, open and outgoing but the country is poor.
Link Posted: 2/24/2021 4:52:29 PM EDT
[#15]
No.
Link Posted: 2/24/2021 5:59:10 PM EDT
[#16]
No body wants us there, think like this OP, we don't  want liberals in out state.
Link Posted: 2/26/2021 10:29:18 PM EDT
[#17]
How long until the Soviet countries get woke too?
Link Posted: 2/27/2021 7:46:50 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
OP thinks he would be a welcomed immigrant in any one of those places.

My son is friends with a Georgian. Very difficult for an outsider to assimilate there...
View Quote

Georgia, especially Batumi, is pushing very hard for foreign investors now and they like Americans so I would think it would be a nice place to retire in FSU.  Mountains are beautiful and people friendly.  Visa rules are also nice.
Link Posted: 2/27/2021 8:05:52 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
No body wants us there, think like this OP, we don't  want liberals in out state.
View Quote

You don't know what you're talking about.

There are many people in FSU countries that welcome Americans, especially if we're bringing money.  Many in the expat community that I know try to respect the locals and stay out of the politics, unlike liberals in the US.
Link Posted: 2/27/2021 8:12:08 AM EDT
[#20]
Quite a few other countries but around here it is borderline treasonous to mention it.
I have wondered about using central/south americas playbook. Get enough of us to move into an area until we basically take it over. Yeah, I know we would be stopped before we could get a majority but still, I wonder.

There are USA ex-patriot communities in many countries. Could they exert enough influence to eventually make this happen?
Link Posted: 2/28/2021 5:37:04 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

How long until the Soviet countries get woke too?
View Quote

There are no Soviet countries, but the former ones are pretty resistant to it. Russia just passed a law outlawing gay marriage.
Link Posted: 2/28/2021 10:04:38 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Quite a few other countries but around here it is borderline treasonous to mention it.
I have wondered about using central/south americas playbook. Get enough of us to move into an area until we basically take it over. Yeah, I know we would be stopped before we could get a majority but still, I wonder.

There are USA ex-patriot communities in many countries. Could they exert enough influence to eventually make this happen?
View Quote

There are lots of ex-patriots on Arf already

Link Posted: 2/28/2021 10:12:38 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

After everything that MSM & big tech has done these past years and all the new requirements regarding gender identification and then outrageous cancel culture.  You decide to call this the dumbest thing you've ever read?  Where have you been these past few years, few months, and few days??
View Quote

Let’s compare our standard of living shall we?  There not a snowballs chance in hell any of those countries come close to the USA.
Link Posted: 2/28/2021 10:41:21 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
... places to live in the future than the US?
Yea, I know the West is better for now, but at least the above mentioned areas aren't getting their asses handed to them by a bunch of pink haired, fat trans weird o's like we are.
View Quote

You’re obviously not well traveled...
Link Posted: 3/1/2021 10:23:47 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Let’s compare our standard of living shall we?  There not a snowballs chance in hell any of those countries come close to the USA.
View Quote

Define "standard".  Is this about how the US is the world's largest consumer and access to money is extremely easy so many live being owned by their possessions?

I can make some honest comparisons since I'm currently living it.  And, NO, the cost of living is not CHEAPER where I am - it's just easier to live poor.
Link Posted: 3/1/2021 2:50:17 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Define "standard".  Is this about how the US is the world's largest consumer and access to money is extremely easy so many live being owned by their possessions?

I can make some honest comparisons since I'm currently living it.  And, NO, the cost of living is not CHEAPER where I am - it's just easier to live poor.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Americans tend to think people are waiting in bread lines in the 2nd world.

Medical care is probably the biggest difference (depending on country, that's not a blanket statement) but a lot of the rest isn't worse, it's just different. I saw dryers mentioned earlier. You can get dryers there...people just don't care to. They have heated drying racks. Why waste space and money on something so frivolous? (that's what they would say).
Link Posted: 3/1/2021 9:35:02 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

Medical care is probably the biggest difference (depending on country, that's not a blanket statement) but a lot of the rest isn't worse, it's just different. I saw dryers mentioned earlier. You can get dryers there...people just don't care to. They have heated drying racks. Why waste space and money on something so frivolous? (that's what they would say).
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

And they think the Soviets are still everywhere! (Or is that just me? )

Link Posted: 3/1/2021 9:36:30 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Many sincerely believe they ruin clothes.
Link Posted: 3/3/2021 1:45:21 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

View Quote

The food here is amazing. Some of the really nice restaurants are still cheaper than fast food in the US. We usually cook at home, but I am a sucker for the cafes and their fresh baked goods. I have a favorite where I can get a cappuccino, small pizza, and chocolate filled croissant for under $2.

Medical is definitely different if you take the "I'm poor route". Prepare to wait days, for a same day in and out procedure, as this isn't the US.

I have gotten used to the small wash machine in the bathroom. I have a clothes line on the balcony, heated rack in the bathroom (always have a warm towel after a shower), and the heat batteries in the rooms work great too (wife prefers those).

It is hard to compare this to the US. While some sacrifices have been made on things I was used to, there are other things that far exceed or didn't exist in the US which work great here.
Link Posted: 3/3/2021 12:20:03 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

The food here is amazing. Some of the really nice restaurants are still cheaper than fast food in the US. We usually cook at home, but I am a sucker for the cafes and their fresh baked goods. I have a favorite where I can get a cappuccino, small pizza, and chocolate filled croissant for under $2.

Medical is definitely different if you take the "I'm poor route". Prepare to wait days, for a same day in and out procedure, as this isn't the US.

I have gotten used to the small wash machine in the bathroom. I have a clothes line on the balcony, heated rack in the bathroom (always have a warm towel after a shower), and the heat batteries in the rooms work great too (wife prefers those).

It is hard to compare this to the US. While some sacrifices have been made on things I was used to, there are other things that far exceed or didn't exist in the US which work great here.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I haven't been to Ukraine yet, but I've been through quite a bit of the 2nd world otherwise. The food is indeed amazing for the most part, I was really surprised. I have been very comfortable every time I've gone.
Link Posted: 3/3/2021 5:26:45 PM EDT
[#31]
I have to go get a filling tomorrow,I’ll find out what the off the street price is and let you judge if it’s modern enough to not be scary.

Link Posted: 3/3/2021 5:32:16 PM EDT
[#32]
Poland is looking pretty good to me.  

I don't speak Polish, but it might be worth a look.
Link Posted: 3/3/2021 5:33:21 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
I have to go get a filling tomorrow,I’ll find out what the off the street price is and let you judge if it’s modern enough to not be scary.

View Quote

I've considered getting dental work done when I visit my wife, prices here even with insurance are absolutely absurd.
Link Posted: 3/3/2021 5:37:18 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Yea, I know the West is better for now, but at least the above mentioned areas aren't getting their asses handed to them by a bunch of pink haired, fat trans weird o's like we are.
View Quote

As some one who was born in soviet union there I will give your post 5 out of 5 potatoes
Link Posted: 3/3/2021 5:46:36 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Once American goes away no where will be safe.
View Quote

This right here...when the US and the dollar fails to maintain dominance....the world will need a new guardian...and new king....you can read how that story ends right now. Last book in the Bible.
Link Posted: 3/3/2021 5:56:16 PM EDT
[#36]
Some countries refuse to tolerate BS of the younger crowd, and aren't as indulgent of youths.  Making youths actually have to earn what they want makes a big difference in how entitled the youths feel about life.

The more a society supports those who don't earn their way, the more those supported people begin to feel entitled to being supported, rather than being grateful for the generosity of others that makes their life possible.  The more entitled people feel, the less of an investment they have in trying to better themselves.
Link Posted: 3/4/2021 3:03:54 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

I haven't been to Ukraine yet, but I've been through quite a bit of the 2nd world otherwise. The food is indeed amazing for the most part, I was really surprised. I have been very comfortable every time I've gone.
View Quote

My weaknesses. Too many places with good things to eat. The supermarkets don't sell premixed cakes, etc. People here can actually cook from scratch. We also don't have any fast food commercial restaurants here, like Kiev does. What a relief.

Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File

Currently 1 USD = 27.86 Hryvnia
Link Posted: 3/4/2021 3:36:27 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

After everything that MSM & big tech has done these past years and all the new requirements regarding gender identification and then outrageous cancel culture.  You decide to call this the dumbest thing you've ever read?  Where have you been these past few years, few months, and few days??
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
This is probably one of the dumbest fucking things I’ve ever read.

Probably on facebook.
Link Posted: 3/4/2021 3:43:39 AM EDT
[#39]
I certainly don't like the way our country is going. We're a very, very young country, and that means grave mistakes will be made. At one time I told myself I'd die to defend her, but when most of the population is so stupid they believe and want these things....it might just be time to go.
For now I feel safe and happy in Alaska, and I doubt they'd make a fuss over me if it ever did turn into communist russia or nazi germany, and if they did..

Well...one might argue it's better to die young for your home and family, as opposed to getting old and shitting in a diaper till you keel over while grunting that turd out on the shitter.
Link Posted: 3/4/2021 11:15:22 AM EDT
[#40]
Off the street price at my dentist: panoramic X-rays 15€,composite filling 20€ I don’t take anesthesia but that would have been 5€. I’m exceptionally sensitive to it and find it more miserable than a few seconds of discomfort.

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 3/4/2021 11:34:41 AM EDT
[#41]
Link Posted: 3/4/2021 12:10:41 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

Number 3 has a lot of nose and teeth. Also crazy and overeager eyes.
View All Quotes

Best tits of the three shown, though.
Link Posted: 3/4/2021 12:24:43 PM EDT
[#43]
I've been looking at an estate in Georgia (the country). It's pretty awesome. Has a castle like main compound. Comes with quite a bit of land. A whole valley. Bunch of tenant farmers, who seem like pretty solid folks. There is all kinds of history, evidently, about the people and their relationship with who ever owns the castle.

Seems like a good set up.
Link Posted: 3/5/2021 5:01:54 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

As some one who was born in soviet union there I will give your post 5 out of 5 potatoes
View Quote

@BP-43

I'm genuinely interested to know why you say this. Also, how long has it been since you have been to a former Soviet country?

Link Posted: 3/5/2021 5:05:05 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
View Quote

You are surrendering to "a bunch of pink haired, fat trans weird o's".  Our forefathers, who dumped that mf'in tea in the bay and fired the shot heard round the world, would be disappointed.  

Make your voice heard.  Vote.  Vote with your dollars.  This is still a great country.
Link Posted: 3/5/2021 5:10:01 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

@BP-43

I'm genuinely interested to know why you say this. Also, how long has it been since you have been to a former Soviet country?

View Quote

Over a decade, not really relevant in this case.
Most Caucus countries are either in conflict right now or a cunt hair away from conflict. 3/4 of these countries are shitholes run by oligarchs/warlords and the economy does't exist unless you want to kidnap and extort people or smuggle drugs.
Most baltic states are wonderful places to visit corruption free but their economies are tiny and job and future prospects are just not there.

I know SJW's pee pee poo poo but there is a whole lot more lurking under the surface over there.
Link Posted: 3/5/2021 8:15:41 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

Most Caucus countries are either in conflict right now or a cunt hair away from conflict. 3/4 of these countries are shitholes run by oligarchs/warlords and the economy does't exist unless you want to kidnap and extort people or smuggle drugs.
Most baltic states are wonderful places to visit corruption free but their economies are tiny and job and future prospects are just not there.

I know SJW's pee pee poo poo but there is a whole lot more lurking under the surface over there.
View Quote

You know I have been thinking about a career change for some time now

Speaking seriously (from a personal standpoint) my big concern is that while the US continues an expedited path downhill (both in terms of freedoms, quality of life, and purchasing power) meanwhile Eastern Europe and SE Asian countries are on the opposite trajectory. By that time the secret is out they are no longer affordable for expats in the same context they are now.

I have plenty of years left to work, so I guess it's all a pipe dream anyways.

Link Posted: 3/5/2021 9:29:37 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

@BP-43

@BP-43

Ok, fair enough. Thanks for the reply!
Link Posted: 3/5/2021 9:46:17 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

You are surrendering to "a bunch of pink haired, fat trans weird o's".  Our forefathers, who dumped that mf'in tea in the bay and fired the shot heard round the world, would be disappointed.  

Make your voice heard.  Vote.  Vote with your dollars.  This is still a great country.
View Quote

@Mxpatriot51

Ackshually, our forefathers left the 'Old World' in search of a place they could have freedom.

I hate constantly feeling guilty about living my life. I can't shop without enriching my oppressors. I hate shopping at Walmart, Target, Home Depot, Lowes, Costco, Amazon, etc. because I know I am giving money to those who are working to take away my freedoms. But it's just not possible to live a life that upholds conservative ideals. And things are only going to get worse. Probably much worse. I really want to "Go Galt" and escape the dystopian present and the only apparent way to do that is to leave the country or become a self-sustaining hermit in the mountains.

Am I the only one feeling like this?
Link Posted: 3/5/2021 10:09:13 PM EDT
[#50]
Page / 5
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top