User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 15
Link Posted: 2/25/2021 7:32:40 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

@saltydecimator

Instincts I suppose. The fact that the cemetery is there hadn't even crossed my mind until I was walking past the entrance (just running around practicing pulling up my laser on "targets") when I turned and went to bring the gun up into the cemetery and my brain said "Stop!".

I froze for a second, thought about what I was actually about to do, and decided I had no interest in looking in there with any form of enhanced vision.

It's a small cemetery, about an acre, with most gravestones being children dating from the late 1800's- early 1900's. During those years yellow fever passed through the area and you can clearly see that it didn't play well with kids.

For that reason, I like to give them their space and let them rest in peace. When my son about 2yo he used to ask why the broken people were over there, that kind of freaked me out a little.

For reference, the left arrow is the cemetery, the right arrow is my house.

https://i.imgur.com/EKcbccy.png
View Quote

Me and my daughter have an understanding. If she starts talking about broken people or why is that person standing behind you type stuff she’s off to the fire station.
Link Posted: 2/25/2021 7:40:35 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

Maybe because you have high-end gear and enough experience to know an image artifact/distortion from a cryptozoological interdimensional boogeyman?
View Quote

Or that he’s a BMF with weapons that a wise alien/dogman/Bigfoot would choose to NOT to fuck around and find out.
Link Posted: 2/25/2021 7:55:08 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

I'm not gonna say it wasn't something more, who am I to judge

Personally even if it were only ball lightning, it's so rare I'd be ecstatic with that as a minimum possibility
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I have and I supose it could have been ball lightening. Was a clear cool night with no storms or any bad weather though. Probably the only non-paranormal explanation. Thing is we had a close relative that passed a few days earlier and my wife explained it away as being the deceased paying us a visit  

Personally even if it were only ball lightning, it's so rare I'd be ecstatic with that as a minimum possibility
The wife's grandfather described ball lightning to me perfectly years back and I'm positive he was telling the truth.

He prefaced the explanation in a way that I know he wasn't making it up and he was a little shaken in retelling it which was not like him at all.

He was watching nascar and kind of drifting in and out of a nap when lightning hit the front of the house.

He said he saw a blue ball glide from the screen door to the TV and when it hit the tv something inside popped and flashed and the tv was dead.

Link Posted: 2/25/2021 9:03:37 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

No it wouldn't.  If your not recording prior to an encounter you will likely miss it anyway.  In the moment you are consumed and single focused, it's only after things calm down that you remember that you have a camera in your hand.
View Quote
There is a big difference in randomly stumbling onto a bigfoot (or some other strange thing) and forgetting to film it, vs being on an expedition specifically looking for one with equipment to observe and record.

If you are buying equipment specifically to look for "strange things" then recording capability is definitely an option to have.

Link Posted: 2/25/2021 9:14:52 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
The wife's grandfather described ball lightning to me perfectly years back and I'm positive he was telling the truth.

He prefaced the explanation in a way that I know he wasn't making it up and he was a little shaken in retelling it which was not like him at all.

He was watching nascar and kind of drifting in and out of a nap when lightning hit the front of the house.

He said he saw a blue ball glide from the screen door to the TV and when it hit the tv something inside popped and flashed and the tv was dead.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I have and I supose it could have been ball lightening. Was a clear cool night with no storms or any bad weather though. Probably the only non-paranormal explanation. Thing is we had a close relative that passed a few days earlier and my wife explained it away as being the deceased paying us a visit  

When I was a kid living in a little farm house we had a wicked night of storms.  I went to my sister's room to wake them up just in time to see ball lightning.  Two balls in fact floating around the room.  Shortly after the ball lightning disappeared I looked out the window in time to see the power lines on fire.  St elmos fire and ball lightning in the same night.  

Our house was hit by a tornado shortly after.

My parents were baffled as to what I described to them.

Our neighbor, an older Norwegian farmer came to check on us later the next day. And upon talking to him about it he told me what I saw.
Link Posted: 2/25/2021 9:15:41 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

IMO thermal is a bigger game changer than NODS especially if your going to go passive and practice IR light discipline.  Furthermore, I have noticed interesting things with thermal that would have been missed with NVG like seeing heat from their tracks or partial images that are occluded.  

I would estimate that 2/3rds of the people involved with the subject are high net worth, professionals, and retired people.  People that have the means or the time to explore a mystery.  Besides, all this tech isn't cheap.

View Quote

Why are they all so terrible at actually using the equipment and capturing evidence?
Link Posted: 2/25/2021 10:19:21 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Why are they all so terrible at actually using the equipment and capturing evidence?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

IMO thermal is a bigger game changer than NODS especially if your going to go passive and practice IR light discipline.  Furthermore, I have noticed interesting things with thermal that would have been missed with NVG like seeing heat from their tracks or partial images that are occluded.  

I would estimate that 2/3rds of the people involved with the subject are high net worth, professionals, and retired people.  People that have the means or the time to explore a mystery.  Besides, all this tech isn't cheap.

you know the answer
Link Posted: 2/25/2021 10:39:35 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
There is a big difference in randomly stumbling onto a bigfoot (or some other strange thing) and forgetting to film it, vs being on an expedition specifically looking for one with equipment to observe and record.

If you are buying equipment specifically to look for "strange things" then recording capability is definitely an option to have.

View Quote

Ironically, low end gear tends to offer that feature more than high end gear.  

But to address your point, every encounter is different and things usually start and stop on a dime.  You can seek them out, but you don't get to pick the encounter you are going to have.  Once it starts, your single focus is to understand what is happening.   My processing hierarchy is team safety, observing and studying detail, and then everything else.  Thinking about photographing or recording something doesn't cross your mind until things are stable.  

Link Posted: 2/25/2021 10:51:03 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

View Quote

That's the wrong question.
Link Posted: 2/25/2021 10:55:31 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

You think chicken defense is a fucking game, bro?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
I watched a coyote try to get into the coop one night. He took a shit before his attempt, which was ended with a 123gr. pill of hate.

I went back inside to put on some clothes, looked back out to verify he was indeed dead, only to see another animal giving him a sniff. It was a bobcat that turned 180 degrees and pissed on the dead coyote. He soon ceased frolicking, and fell in the pile of coyote shit. I felt it was a fitting end, for both.

The bobcat died?

You think chicken defense is a fucking game, bro?

Link Posted: 2/25/2021 10:57:33 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 2/25/2021 11:13:33 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Why would we not have NVG?

My kids will be rocking fusion.
View Quote

Please dont misunderstand me, you should always have NVG.

Link Posted: 2/25/2021 11:15:19 AM EDT
[#13]
enough foreplay.  post those footprint or plaster cast photos

Link Posted: 2/25/2021 11:20:41 AM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 2/25/2021 11:31:25 AM EDT
[#15]

Are you looking to adopt anytime soon?
Link Posted: 2/25/2021 11:31:43 AM EDT
[#16]

Lucky kids!

I have been considering fusion, but you are sacrificing thermal FOV and resolution for that feature.

My current setup is almost as good as I2 in terms of identification, tough choice.  
Link Posted: 2/25/2021 11:33:26 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View Quote

I actually had a visible ball of static charge float out of an old clothes dryer we had in the garage 30yrs ago.  It was about the size of a pencil eraser in diameter.  I opened the door after drying a load of my work uniforms.  I opened the door and out floated this blue-ish whit ball.  It floated on an air draft for a few inches and then hit the surface of the dryer.  It sounded like a shotgun going off and left a blackened mark on the dryer that looked like a firecracker had blown up on the surface.
Link Posted: 2/25/2021 12:11:12 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
enough foreplay.  post those footprint or plaster cast photos

View Quote

Link Posted: 2/25/2021 12:11:42 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 2/25/2021 12:25:56 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 2/25/2021 12:30:48 PM EDT
[#21]

I know you are trying to mock me, but that was my favorite site.  I got to observe a pair of sasquatch on thermal on two separate nights, both bipedal and quadrupedal.
Link Posted: 2/25/2021 12:33:30 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

I find it to be perfect for continuous movement through woods/suburban/urban areas. Its not that great in complete open fields.

I have seen so many things since getting it that I would never have seen using I2 or stand alone thermal.

I still have stand alone thermal clip on for longer stuff, but barely ever use it anymore.
View Quote

That’s what I say about high res thermal.  What do you see with this setup that you would miss with thermal?
Link Posted: 2/25/2021 12:40:27 PM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 2/25/2021 12:57:21 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Things that would have moved as I moved into position with I2, then popped up the thermal to scan.

The things hiding in little cracks/heavy brush that I only saw because I happened to glance that way as I walked by.

The COTI/ECOTI is also adjustable enough that you can get it to only highlights living things. Many times with full thermal even super high quality ones, if something is partially obscured and not moving you might not be able to differentiate it from other random clutter in the background, with the fusion units you can get it to ONLY highlight living things which makes them pop out quicker.

This little guy is a good example, he is in a tiny little depression in the ground, in thick brush, completely invisible from view except at the tiny instant I walked by an exact spot, if I was just stopping in good spots and scanning with full thermal never would have seen.
View Quote

I’ve got RNVGs from tnvc

Will the ecoti fit on the end of those? I’ve been glancing at them but if they do you’ve convinced me
Link Posted: 2/25/2021 1:02:54 PM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 2/25/2021 1:10:15 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

I’ve got RNVGs from tnvc

Will the ecoti fit on the end of those? I’ve been glancing at them but if they do you’ve convinced me
View Quote

Your neck hates you right now.  
Link Posted: 2/25/2021 1:17:45 PM EDT
[#27]
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Please dont misunderstand me, you should always have NVG.

Standard Ace family camping gear:

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/47980/C4DCA8AA-154D-4D48-9427-236BA09F3304-1840697.jpg

That sad moment when a guy's kids are wizards owning the night and you've just got a sad white light
Link Posted: 2/25/2021 1:21:31 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

Your neck hates you right now.  
View Quote

I can’t offer a satisfactory rebuttal

You are correct
Link Posted: 2/25/2021 1:24:15 PM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 2/25/2021 1:54:34 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

The one in the middle of my picture above is RNVG with ECOTI, so yes.
View Quote

Thanks

Those images are impressive
Link Posted: 2/25/2021 10:13:38 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Why don’t I ever get to see any cool stuff like this?

Thousands of hours at night with NVG/thermal/fusion and nothing.

View Quote

Ever seen that movie 6th sense? You only see what you want to see. You have been the Sasquatch the whole time.
Link Posted: 2/25/2021 11:24:47 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

Mom used to tell me that “there’s nothing in the dark that’s not there in the daytime“

Mom was a liar. There is an entire different world out there at night
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
This thread makes me nervous

Mom used to tell me that “there’s nothing in the dark that’s not there in the daytime“

Mom was a liar. There is an entire different world out there at night

I have DTNVS coming and a COTI already waiting at home.

I don't really want to know what is going on at my new place in the dark, but I guess I'm gonna find out
Link Posted: 2/25/2021 11:26:42 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
I live right next to an old cemetery, in the middle of nowhere, that I share my driveway with. Ive been running all around my woods at night since I got my 14 a couple weeks ago. I cannot get myself to look into the cemetery. It's never bothered me living next to it. I honestly never think anything of it, but for some reason, I just can't get myself to look over there in the dark with my night vision.
View Quote

Link Posted: 2/25/2021 11:35:34 PM EDT
[#34]
I found a llama skull once. Went and showed my friends and was embarrassed as hell when they pointed out it was simply a Bigfoot skull.
Link Posted: 2/26/2021 1:52:27 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

Wow.  Nice setup!  Feel free to come to NC anytime.  We can go squatch watching in Uwharrie or look for the mysterious lights at Brown Mountain
View Quote

Have you seen the lights yet? I live 10 mins down from that overlook and haven't seen shit!
Link Posted: 2/26/2021 6:05:18 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

Lucky kids!

I have been considering fusion, but you are sacrificing thermal FOV and resolution for that feature.

My current setup is almost as good as I2 in terms of identification, tough choice.  
View Quote

So you have crazy top of the line gear..  but in the heat of the moment..  getting squatched down real good..   you can't ever remember to record?

That'd be my first priority.  You'd be rich.   You buy an island and found squatchatopia then turn it into a theme park.

Hell I'd deal with a thorough squatchin' if I got that motherfucker on film but I ain't gonna take that ride for leisure.
Link Posted: 2/26/2021 7:44:40 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

So you have crazy top of the line gear..  but in the heat of the moment..  getting squatched down real good..   you can't ever remember to record?

That'd be my first priority.  You'd be rich.   You buy an island and found squatchatopia then turn it into a theme park.

Hell I'd deal with a thorough squatchin' if I got that motherfucker on film but I ain't gonna take that ride for leisure.
View Quote

No I don't have a record button.  This isn't a petting zoo.  You are stepping on their dinner table hoping everyone is a vegetarian.  It's an all consuming moment.

Your assessment of riches is far different than reality.
Link Posted: 2/26/2021 8:17:32 AM EDT
[#38]
So, for those looking to get into NV/thermal, and can’t afford both....... which do you get? I’ve been looking at the FLIR monocular and a PVS14
Link Posted: 2/26/2021 8:23:28 AM EDT
[#39]
Link Posted: 2/26/2021 8:34:14 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

View Quote
Members here claim to have legit observation with thermal from 10 ft away.

They claim to know enough about their habits and movement to comment frequently what a bigfoot's intent is/was when people mention an encounter.

Cannot get any physical evidence despite having frequent contact with BF.

Claim the real evidence is super secret can't share with anyone but REAL BF investigators.

Ignorant normal folks can't even comprehend the DNA studies that have been debunked by actual scientists.  (They claim you need to read a book that explains why all the "evidence" is debunked)

Tried to pass off a busted llama skull as a BF skull.  Claimed NOBODY could identify it until ARFCOM got a hold of it.

I want bigfoot to be real.  I enjoy reading about expeditions and the studies of sightings.  I despise people who make up shit.

Link Posted: 2/26/2021 10:30:26 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
So, for those looking to get into NV/thermal, and can’t afford both....... which do you get? I’ve been looking at the FLIR monocular and a PVS14
View Quote

Which FLIR model?  Those handhelds used to have ridiculous low refresh rates.
Link Posted: 2/26/2021 10:56:01 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Members here claim to have legit observation with thermal from 10 ft away.

They claim to know enough about their habits and movement to comment frequently what a bigfoot's intent is/was when people mention an encounter.

Cannot get any physical evidence despite having frequent contact with BF.

Claim the real evidence is super secret can't share with anyone but REAL BF investigators.

Ignorant normal folks can't even comprehend the DNA studies that have been debunked by actual scientists.  (They claim you need to read a book that explains why all the "evidence" is debunked)

Tried to pass off a busted llama skull as a BF skull.  Claimed NOBODY could identify it until ARFCOM got a hold of it.

I want bigfoot to be real.  I enjoy reading about expeditions and the studies of sightings.  I despise people who make up shit.

View Quote

I hear you, this subject is all about living in the shadows.  It's an unfortunate truth.  

Not all your claims are correct, but I have mentioned that before.  You even posted some of my physical evidence.  I know your integrity is not on display here, just everyone else.
Link Posted: 2/26/2021 12:18:24 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

@saltydecimator

Instincts I suppose. The fact that the cemetery is there hadn't even crossed my mind until I was walking past the entrance (just running around practicing pulling up my laser on "targets") when I turned and went to bring the gun up into the cemetery and my brain said "Stop!".

I froze for a second, thought about what I was actually about to do, and decided I had no interest in looking in there with any form of enhanced vision.

It's a small cemetery, about an acre, with most gravestones being children dating from the late 1800's- early 1900's. During those years yellow fever passed through the area and you can clearly see that it didn't play well with kids.

For that reason, I like to give them their space and let them rest in peace. When my son about 2yo he used to ask why the broken people were over there, that kind of freaked me out a little.

For reference, the left arrow is the cemetery, the right arrow is my house.

https://i.imgur.com/EKcbccy.png
View Quote

@IwearMossyOak

oh ya thats spooky! i definitely wouldnt look over there either!

to the folks that are questioning the kids, sure kids make stories up, or some of em do.  others dont. if you spend enough time with em you know their "language" and you know what they are tryin to say.  and since kids are less distracted by regular life, they have opportunities to see the stuff that adults dont.  history is littered with supernatural stuff, just because we are "more realistic?" now doesnt mean there is nothing to that stuff... as my buddy who pointed out ,the Bible wouldnt forbid you from things (witchcraft, tarot stuff,etec) if there was nothing too it.  

all that being said, i dont believe in "ghosts"  its evil spirits or something else. Bible says first you die and then the judgement.  

in fort morgan, co there is a electrical coop building that my daughte would inquire about it when she was under 3-4.  never said anything about seeing "ghosts" but just the way she asked, "daddy whats THAT building?" gave me the creeps.  she only did it a couple times, but it freaked me and my wife out as she wasnt typically interested in architecture, etc.  so something else must have got her attention...

https://www.bing.com/maps?&ty=17&q=morgan%20rea%20colorado&ppois=40.25625228881836_-103.77022552490234_Morgan%20County%20R%20E%20A_YN873x115255536~&v=2&sV=1&localypids=YN873x115255536&qpvt=morgan+rea+colorado  

thats the building location if anyone is curuios
Link Posted: 2/26/2021 1:06:32 PM EDT
[#44]
So I have a slightly odd question but it does pertain to NVG/Thermal so kind of fits in with the discussion here, anyways, is there anything that can conceal a person from NVG/thermal etc, like if you wrapped yourself in a space blanket, would you be less visible to NVG/thermal, covering yourself in mud like Arnold did in Predator, etc etc? Just a curiosity I've wondered about some.
Link Posted: 2/26/2021 1:12:59 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
So I have a slightly odd question but it does pertain to NVG/Thermal so kind of fits in with the discussion here, anyways, is there anything that can conceal a person from NVG/thermal etc, like if you wrapped yourself in a space blanket, would you be less visible to NVG/thermal, covering yourself in mud like Arnold did in Predator, etc etc? Just a curiosity I've wondered about some.
View Quote

Dense vegetation and tree canopy is probobly your most practical choice.
Link Posted: 2/26/2021 1:23:09 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

No I don't have a record button.  This isn't a petting zoo.  You are stepping on thier dinner table hoping everyone is a vegetarian.  It's a all consuming moment.

View Quote

How is it possible that combat cameramen, reporters, and even random Joes can get a camera rolling in a firefight, but you can't do the same in a peaceful encounter? Presumably sasquatch isn't shooting at you or trying to blow you up in the moment.
Link Posted: 2/26/2021 1:33:49 PM EDT
[#47]
Had a sow black bear and her yearling cub sneak right under my tree stand as I was climbing down from predator hunting. This was the second time I had been stalked by a bear. The first encounter is what made me get NV. After the second incident I decided to never predator hunt from the ground until late Dec as waiting until that time more or less ensures that the majority of bears are hibernating.    

The outstretched talons of an owl coming right at my face as I was using a mouth call to mimic a mouse. I turned my head at the last second and I felt air current hit my face.

Fun times.

Link Posted: 2/26/2021 1:41:34 PM EDT
[#48]
I've never seen anything, but spent plenty of time creeped the fuck out while out on walking patrols in and around old buildings on AF bases, in the middle of the night.
Link Posted: 2/26/2021 1:50:07 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

How is it possible that combat cameramen, reporters, and even random Joes can get a camera rolling in a firefight, but you can't do the same in a peaceful encounter? Presumably sasquatch isn't shooting at you or trying to blow you up in the moment.
View Quote

For starters they have a record button and I don't.  But, I would imagine that combat operatives probobly start the recording at the start of the mission, but they can comment for themselves.

Having a peaceful encounter is not guaranteed, nor do you know the type of encounter you are going to get.  I can't speak for everybody, but we do a lot of things to minimize our threat posture and to not provoke aggressive responses.  I am not worried about a threat bearing arms, I am worried about a threat that could take arms, and other extremities.  I have grown attached to them and would like to retain them.

You are looking at this from a different perspective than I am.  I am not doing any of this to make money or prove it to the world.  I got into it to learn the truth.  I have documented my journey on ARFCOM, from trying to collect all the possible evidence in the world to where I am today.  I don't need to prove it to myself, and I don't care to prove it to you.  In fact my primary motivation these days is hanging out with like minded friends.  If I do collect anything it remains private for many reasons.  Anything that enters the public space automatically becomes worthless.  While I would love to share more, it would be a fool's errand to do so.
Link Posted: 2/26/2021 2:02:37 PM EDT
[#50]
Have the usual paranormal experts showed up to condescendly talk down to the non experts and critical thinkers yet?
Page / 15
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top