BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/22/2001 6:07:57 AM EDT
The NY Daily News
Original Publication Date: 5/22/01

Son of a Gun
Editorial

The power of the National Rifle Association lobby is no secret. Neither is the support it gave to George W. Bush's presidential campaign. But now that Dubya is in the White House, he should avoid being too cozy with this crowd, lest the "cold, dead hands" wackos appear to have undue influence in the Oval Office. That's why Interior Secretary Gale Norton's appearance at the NRA convention was so unseemly. Bush can be grateful to his constituency without sending a cabinet member to kiss their rifle butts.

Besides, had Norton not spoken, there would have been more time for Charlton Heston's rhetoric, which is always good for a laugh. This time, the NRA president opined that his cronies "are of the same lineage as the farmers who stood at Concord Bridge." Interesting. Although one doubts those farmers would have considered it a fundamental right to blow the heads off squirrels with an assault rifle. (That is why they want assault rifles, isn't it?) Or to let criminals shop freely at gun shows. Or to hide behind a misinterpretation of a constitutional amendment to promote a warped agenda.

As for evidence that the agenda is warped: The NRA has begun targeting the McCain-Feingold campaign finance reform bill, interpreting it as an attack on free speech. Which, of course, is evidence of the NRA's talent for misinterpretation.

Remember, George, these people may be your friends, but with friends like these. ...

You can e-mail the Daily News editors at
[email protected]
Please include your full name, address and phone number. The Daily News reserves the right to edit letters. The shorter the letter, the better the chance it will be used.

http://www.nydailynews.com/today/News_and_Views/Opinion/a-112057.asp
Link Posted: 5/22/2001 6:17:36 AM EDT
[#1]
Reply UP!...... On the w-a-a-a-a-a-y!
Link Posted: 5/22/2001 6:23:46 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Although one doubts those farmers would have considered it a fundamental right to blow the heads off squirrels with an assault rifle. (That is why they want assault rifles, isn't it?)
View Quote

This makes me absolutely SICK. Damn ignorant liberals. We have them to blow the heads off CATS!

[kill]
Link Posted: 5/22/2001 6:34:11 AM EDT
[#3]
Dear Brain Dead,

Please have everyone that works for your grabasstic excuse for a publication commit suicide as soon as possible. The world will be a better place.

Thanks in advance.

A. Proud American

[i]Can i get in trouble for this message to these asswipes?[/i]
Link Posted: 5/22/2001 7:34:18 AM EDT
[#4]
TAO, AAWC. BIRDS AWAY, TRACK 1991....

Apparently 4.3 million Americans disagree with the editor's position. I'm sure he DREAMS about his paper having a circulation HALF that of American Rifleman.

If this editorial (with its feeble attempts at sarcasm and other dim-witted barbs) is the best the antis can muster nowadays (especially in the Liberal Mecca of New York), then it seems to me that we're kicking their ass!

TAO, AAWC. SPLASH TRACK 1991!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top