Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/22/2001 4:18:39 AM EDT
I am currently processing for both, and I need to make a choice.  I will have to relocate for either position so that is not a factor.  Which would be a better career choice?  Which would present better opportunities for advancement?  I have done a lot of research and have pretty much made up my mind. But, I always look for as many opinions before I make a decision.

TIA

G45
Link Posted: 5/22/2001 4:33:21 AM EDT
[#1]
Just my .02 ..but If it was me..Id go for the Marshals for at least 5 years...then find myself a nice county out west somewhere and hire out as a deputy then run for Sheriff a few years into that job..find a nice conservative state in a respectable county working for a good Sheriff who you can learn from and who is going to retire in about ten years....
Link Posted: 5/22/2001 4:51:42 AM EDT
[#2]
From my dealings with the MDSP, I believe them to be incompetent (or at least the firearms liscensing division), and worthy of disdain on the part of all gun owners.  Also, the Superintendant of the MDSP is a political appointee and the only person in Maryland allowed to hand out carry permits, and guess what? He doesnt hand them out.  

The Governor and the state legislature are both dominated by the democrats, and we arent gonna win them anytime soon.  The State police have recently been accused of being Governor Glendenning's personal attack dogs, harassing FFLs that sell to blacks from Baltimore and pulling over blacks that have exited gun shows while carrying bags.  Glendenning just veto'ed legislation that would have taught gun safety to school kids and is, in general, a commie.  Lt. Gov. Kathleen Kennedy Townsend is going to be our governor in 2002, the dead people of Baltimore and Montgomery County wont allow anyone else into office, and she is a bigger commie than Glendenning.

You cant buy Ar15s (other than HBars), or other 'assault rifles' such as FnFals, AK clones, M1As, Dragunovs or HK guns, without a 10 day waiting period and MDSP 'background check' (which typically takes 4 to 5 weeks instead of the supposed 10 days) where they need all 10 fingerprints, not just your thumb like Kali, and, the MDSP keeps a record of what 'assault rifles' you buy.  Same deal with pistols, and you must also pass a police-taught safety class starting in 2002.  Even Kali lets 18 year olds buy M1As, but in MD they arent allowed unless you submit to the nice background check and are over 21.  Maryland isnt called the PRMD for just any reason.

Its your choice, choose wisely.

Kharn
Link Posted: 5/22/2001 6:55:08 AM EDT
[#3]
Go for U.S. Marshall.

You're better off working for the Fed vs. State.
Usually more perks!
Especially since you might get stuck in P.G. County.
Link Posted: 5/22/2001 7:30:18 AM EDT
[#4]
Maryland sucks, stay away.  They have essentiually banned handguns here.  About one trooper gets killed every year by the scum that the leftist politicians refuse to lock up.  Rapists and child molesters in Maryland spend about 19 months in jail on average.  Violent crime rate is one of the highest in the USA.

GunLvr
Link Posted: 5/22/2001 9:55:06 AM EDT
[#5]
I believe you must have prior Military service
for the US Marshalls.
Link Posted: 5/22/2001 12:54:42 PM EDT
[#6]
The U.S. Marshal's Service is a top of the line organazation.  You would start as a GS-05 (about $31,000) or GS-07 (about $36,000) and have automatic advancement to GS-11 (about $65,000) in three or so years.  

You can retire at 50 years old if you have 20 years of service or at any age with 25 years of service.  Mandatory retirement age is 57.  Our (Federal law enforcement officers) Thrift Savings Plan for retirement is among the best of any law enforcement agency in the country.

Go with the Marshal's Service, I am a GS-07 Correctional Officer and am also applying.  I can answer questions about retirement and am a little familiar with the job duties the Marshals face if you have any questions.
Link Posted: 5/22/2001 2:29:12 PM EDT
[#7]
I have yet to find anything positive to say about any police department in Maryland, with the exception of one Harford County Sherrif deputy. And as far as I'm concerned, MSP is not only incompetent, but corrupt as well. I am not a "cop hater" like a lot of folks, even on this board, are. All of my dealings with Pennsylvania State Police have been excellent, and our laws here are more strict than Maryland.
I say go for the Marshalls. Don't even consider wasting your life on MSP.
Link Posted: 5/22/2001 6:19:17 PM EDT
[#8]
Having lived there and dealt with them, Maryland State Police sucks.  Go with the Marshals, at least for a few years.  And no, you don't have to have prior military service to be one.  
Link Posted: 5/22/2001 6:27:06 PM EDT
[#9]
Personaly, as a city cop in a municipality of about 30,000 citizens, and dealing with people on a personal basis I'd say take the state job. You'll be closer to the people in your community and they will more than likely trust you more. After Ruby Ridge, WACO, and others, I'm not sure I can ever trust the Federal Government. Look at how the FBI boffed the Oklahoma case at the very end. Besides, my experience with the US Marshalls is that they are glorified corrections officers; transporting felons across the country. I don't see much excitement in that type of carreer.
Link Posted: 5/22/2001 6:28:23 PM EDT
[#10]
MSP SUCKS!!  I'm a PRMD refugee, didn't know what a godd police force until I moved to Pa.  PSP is highly professional, helpful, and not a$$holes, entirely opposite of Md.
 US Marshals service is good duty, limited night work due to courtroom security detail.  Y will have to sign a 'waiver of mobility' so that they can send you anywhere. Outside of that, nice duty.
Link Posted: 5/23/2001 3:43:10 AM EDT
[#11]
Go U.S Marshalls.  
MD sucks.
Link Posted: 5/23/2001 6:28:18 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 5/23/2001 6:32:48 AM EDT
[#13]
Also, your nickname implies that you have already gotten rid of that nickle plated sissy pistol and are ready for employment with Tommy Lee Jones. [:)]

Kharn
Link Posted: 5/23/2001 11:41:22 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Personaly, as a city cop in a municipality of about 30,000 citizens, and dealing with people on a personal basis I'd say take the state job. You'll be closer to the people in your community and they will more than likely trust you more. After Ruby Ridge, WACO, and others, I'm not sure I can ever trust the Federal Government. Look at how the FBI boffed the Oklahoma case at the very end. Besides, my experience with the US Marshalls is that they are glorified corrections officers; transporting felons across the country. I don't see much excitement in that type of carreer.
View Quote

I'm inclined to agree with this, except we're talking about the Maryland force. I'm sure there are other states (I've already mentioned Pennsylvania) that would be a lot better. In that case, the local job might be a better choice than the Marshalls.
Link Posted: 5/24/2001 4:56:04 PM EDT
[#15]
Where are you taking the exam?

I will be in Nashville June 7 taking it.
Link Posted: 5/24/2001 5:37:48 PM EDT
[#16]
I know several Deputy US Marshals (there's only one "L" in Marshal by the way) up my way and they are very professional and are good people.  I'm sure there are some bad apples in the bunch (where isn't there?) but the guys I know are respectable.  I don't know anything about the MSP, but the USMS is a good organization to try for.  Good luck.
Link Posted: 5/25/2001 2:20:13 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
I know several Deputy US Marshals (there's only one "L" in Marshal by the way) up my way and they are very professional and are good people.  I'm sure there are some bad apples in the bunch (where isn't there?) but the guys I know are respectable.  I don't know anything about the MSP, but the USMS is a good organization to try for.  Good luck.
View Quote

Woops!!  I can't believe I didn't catch the spelling.... I am used to using the word in reference to Marshall guitar amps.
Link Posted: 5/25/2001 12:00:17 PM EDT
[#18]
I am taking the entrance exam in D.C. on June 5th.  Thanks for the spelling correction, hope that is not on the test!
Link Posted: 5/25/2001 7:35:58 PM EDT
[#19]
Good Luck
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top