Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 5
Link Posted: 1/28/2021 12:40:57 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

I'm not disabled exactly, but I cannot do the job I did for thirty years (security guard). Being even temporarily disabled from, say, an on-site accident would start the spiral for me, as the last outfit I worked for fought ALL unemployment/accident claims mercilessly.
I injured my back, and honestly worried about having to live out of my car for months.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Homelessness is a symptom of many larger, underlying (and often interrelated) problems:

Mental health, depression
Broken homes (abuse - sexual and otherwise, see above)
Lack of jobs (outsourcing, exporting manufacturing)
Lowering wages (importing illegal & legal H1B workers)
Consumer culture, materialism (living beyond means)
Lack of community
Social isolation
Hedonistic lifestyle (going overboard with alcohol abuse, drugs, sex, etc see above “mental health”)
Lack of spirituality / God
Greed from our Ruling Class Decision Makers
Lack of personal discipline
Dysfunctional culture
etc

Each of those situations feeds off of the others and exacerbate each other.  It’s a downward spiral where one or more issues lead to homelessness as one of the results.

I'm not disabled exactly, but I cannot do the job I did for thirty years (security guard). Being even temporarily disabled from, say, an on-site accident would start the spiral for me, as the last outfit I worked for fought ALL unemployment/accident claims mercilessly.
I injured my back, and honestly worried about having to live out of my car for months.

Yup.  That’s inline with my comments about lowering wages, outsourcing jobs, corporate greed, etc.  It can be a legit challenge to make ends meet and invest for retirement, raise a family, pay the rent, etc with a career that pays low wages.  Cost of living has gone up over the past 40 years but wages have fallen behind.  This is where economics plays a significant part in the equation and good, working people get stuck in desperate situations riding a fine line between employment and homelessness.  How does one even overcome something like that?
Link Posted: 1/28/2021 12:49:10 AM EDT
[#2]
Most homeless people choose to live that way.

The rest are mentally ill or handicapped.

We could easily solve most issues if we stopped sending money to the sudan for border walls.
Link Posted: 1/28/2021 12:51:14 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
My honest reply would violate several CoC provisions.
View Quote

This ^^
Link Posted: 1/28/2021 12:54:30 AM EDT
[#4]
There's a lot of dangerous abandoned mine shafts in NV.

Oops, looks like I posted in the wrong thread...
Link Posted: 1/28/2021 12:55:33 AM EDT
[#5]
Has a bum season been mentioned?
Link Posted: 1/28/2021 12:59:07 AM EDT
[#6]
Simple.

Change the definition of tent to mean home.
Link Posted: 1/28/2021 12:59:26 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
UBI
Raise the minimum wage.

Lol
View Quote

Riiiigghhttt cause that will totally work.

As someone who has dealt extensively with homeless both volunteering and at my job... They usually fall into three catagories: Mentally ill (by far the largest), drug addict (often paired with the first), and/or lazy/lifestyle choice this last one is growing in cities which allow and encourage homelessness like Austin, Portland, San Fran, etc.

Homeless (without any government aid just handouts) often can make 20-30k a year in cash tax-free in big cities.

I can tell you from working at a grocery store that I have NEVER seen a homeless person buy food, they get given plenty or go to soup kitchens and other places. They spend all their money on booze and cigarettes', obviously much also goes to drugs. They do not wish to become un-homeless for the most part. They have plenty of cash too, often spending hundreds a day on these items. I also often see them go buy a hundred-few hundred dollars with of lottery tickets a week.

I am telling you, from experience, do not give money to them, no matter how sad they look, no matter if they have a dog or no matter what made-up sob story they put on their sign. It is almost assured to be a lie and they often get the dog just for extra money. You are only funding their misery (whether they recognize their misery or not).

Mental health asylums for many and not actively encouraging and allowing vagrancy and panhandling I think are good steps. Of course the left has moved to get rid of all those things and homelessness abounds in lefty shitholes like I listed above.
Link Posted: 1/28/2021 1:03:02 AM EDT
[#8]
Mental institutions and drug rehab facilities.
Link Posted: 1/28/2021 1:16:31 AM EDT
[#9]
Each locale would have to truly own the problem. The problem is the person, not the homelessness. They would have to be contacted individually and digging into whether it's addiction, mental health, etc. You can't force them to accept help, but you can provide resources and incentives for participants. There could also be disincentives for being a burden that does not want to self help.
Link Posted: 1/28/2021 1:21:12 AM EDT
[#10]
When ever we build a road, use the stone when cut through bed rock to build community homes and hostels. For old folks too. I would incentivize infrastructure economy over a war economy. Nuclear power. mag lev transportation like we once had trains. Smaller vehicles or even horses and make travel less necessary by restructuring the economy to be locally based.

Reward ditch digging, community and construction over currency speculation, consumerism and war.

build out of stone. Build simple structures to last a thousand years. Spread back out from the cities and make the production of goods and food local again.

Do intensive recycling and use biological wastes to revitalize the land and as bio fuels.  

free graze herds of elk and bison in forests, make consuming less normal, make durable goods designed to last. Reward simply living well off of your land by making it profitable.

Most of the homeless are cast off because they have no place or value in society as it has become.  

Not saying not to have cities universities and governments and culture and all that.

Just that we need to be more communitarian, and do things that make sense now and also 1000 years into the future.

Basically make property ownership and generational wealth as individuals and communities the most valued thing.
Link Posted: 1/28/2021 1:24:32 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Feed the homeless to the hungry.
View Quote

"Ultra-late term abortion"?

The Left should be cool with it.
Link Posted: 1/28/2021 1:26:31 AM EDT
[#12]
Need to reopen/build new mental hospitals we closed in the 80s
Link Posted: 1/28/2021 3:58:54 AM EDT
[#13]
From what I have seen as a landlord it falls into 5 categories.

1) Mental illness. Expecting a schizophrenic to have their shit together just isn’t happening. The best thing for there people is to build internment camps where they can be treated or just live out their lives. They can never function in society.

2) The Addiction. Same thing. Intern them till their better or let them live out their lives.

3) The animal, some people have a defect in their mind that wherever they live they will thrash it and turn it into a shit heap. They think it’s normal fighting with the other tenants, flaking on the rent, letting the bathroom flood with shit water. They bask in filth. So they move from tent to low income housing. Get thrown out and go back to living in a tent. These people deserve to be bum bashed like they do in St Louis.

4) The urban camper, it’s a life style choice. Just riding the rails, hanging out, going to parties, drinking and doing drugs, living wherever rent free, you can find them living out of their cars or camped along the river. These people need to have the shit ticketed out of them.

5) The o shit. Usually these people get rolled on a road trip by their “friends” then left by the side of the road or their girlfriends set them up to get evicted while she skips out with the rent. It’s not their fault and they need help to get set up.  

Link Posted: 1/28/2021 4:11:03 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Reinstate mental hospitals
Arrest vagrants and bums just drunk/high and sleeping on park benches.
Arrest them when they trespass and steal.

This will open up available beds and services for the small minority of truly homeless people who are temporarily down on their luck and need a helping hand to get back on track.
View Quote

This.

A lot of the homeless people are druggies and need metal help.
Link Posted: 1/28/2021 4:14:30 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Without addressing addiction and mental illness first there is no fix.
View Quote
This.
Link Posted: 1/28/2021 4:15:02 AM EDT
[#16]
For those that can work, create jobs and privatized systems to help the homeless transition.
For those that can't work there should be some type of government funded, privatized housing and treatment.
For those that won't work... screw 'em.

Most can work, many won't, a minority can't.
Link Posted: 1/28/2021 4:43:41 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
The left's answer to ending homelessness has been trying to spend their way out of the problem and letting the homeless take over cities.

What kind of realistic solution would you have to fix homelessness in a city?
View Quote

It's a lifestyle choice, may as well try to end obesity.
Link Posted: 1/28/2021 4:50:27 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
The left's answer to ending homelessness has been trying to spend their way out of the problem and letting the homeless take over cities.

View Quote

make insane asylums great again........

Link Posted: 1/28/2021 4:57:58 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
View Quote

This.

People will fall,how far they do so without help is a measure of the integrity of their society.

America has lost her moral compass one cannot live "in the land of plenty" and have plenty of homeless,mental illness coupled with unaffordable healthcare.

The president's inauguration was disrupted by a fire in a hobo camp.That irony wasn't lost to many.
Link Posted: 1/28/2021 5:21:32 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View Quote

Stop rewarding them for being homeless. We give them free this and free that but all it does is create dependency. Many have drug, alcohol, and other mental health issues. Paying them to live on the street is not a solution. There are many that are down on their luck that could work if they want too. I got no problem with a hand up but no for a hand out. Having a uncle who lived on the street for a few decades, there is nothing you can do to help them if they are unwilling to help themselves.
Link Posted: 1/28/2021 5:56:31 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
In a more serious reply, the issue isn't homelessness. The issue is mental health (and to a lesser extent, drug use.  Which is more often than not tied to the mental health issue)

the vast majority of homeless aren't that way because they couldn't pay the rent. They're homeless because they have mental health issues that prevent them from keeping a job or residence. And to deal with the mental health issue they self-medicate.

Figure out a way to force treatment on them and you'll solve a great deal of your homeless problem.
View Quote

Little bit of A, little bit of B
Link Posted: 1/28/2021 5:59:07 AM EDT
[#22]
Fix like spade or neuter them?
Link Posted: 1/28/2021 6:00:00 AM EDT
[#23]
Bus ticket to Portland. Ship them all to their chosen paradise. Free money, useless cops, less than useless politicians, and no drug convictions.
Link Posted: 1/28/2021 6:03:19 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
View Quote

It's a problem that's resistant to improvement.
Link Posted: 1/28/2021 6:09:07 AM EDT
[#25]
wrong thread
Link Posted: 1/28/2021 6:22:45 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
In LA I'd get an old cruise ship and have them dry out / clean up and learn a trade.
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/519319/ship_jpg-1799582.JPG
View Quote

I doubt most want to earn a trade.

Link Posted: 1/28/2021 7:22:50 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Step One: Outlaw Narcan

Step Two: Free Heroin
View Quote

Link Posted: 1/28/2021 8:10:41 AM EDT
[#28]
Start looting liberal hedge funds, banks, and companies. Make a list of everyone who has supported cancel culture and target all their assets and the assets of all their officers and the assets of all their main stakeholders for appropriation. Find all liberal programs for helping the poor and homeless, and pillage their entire budgets and shut them down. That’ll give you far more seed money than you’ll ever need.

Use the money to buy enough high dividend stock for each homeless person to have a barely comfortable living and a place to sleep in. 600,000 homeless in the US, and you need about $3.3 billion to give each enough shares of, say, Exxon stock to pull in $20K/year per person. Double that to $6.6 billion and make everything beyond $20K get reinvested via DRIP to support and perpetuate the program. They can’t touch the principal, only the dividends. They only get paid 4 times a year, so it’ll teach them to manage money. If they want, they can subsist on that forever. If they want better, it’ll get them on their feet enough to get aspirations, start trying to get real jobs, improve themselves, and so on. As they move up in their income, the help tapers off, although not at a 1:1. Takes till they’re pulling in 3x the dividend help before they’re fully on their own. Then the fund gets passed to the next homeless person with the same strings, they can’t give it away as inheritance. If they’re so inclined, give them the option to buy out their stock at a 50% rate. Whatever they contribute gets them twice the shares until they have the full position. Then they can own it.

Ones who can’t get jobs, give them paid labor building affordable housing for their community. Once it’s built, do the same but give them jobs maintaining and building up systems to support those communities. Electrical, sewers, power, stores, firefighting and basic policing, small farms, workshops. Make small colonies, not ghettos. Teach skills and how to thrive.
Link Posted: 1/28/2021 8:17:26 AM EDT
[#29]
You can't fix the intentionally destitute and homeless crowd. They choose to live that way
Link Posted: 1/28/2021 8:20:06 AM EDT
[#30]
DON'T FEED THE ANIMALS.

Simple, effective but harsh and we are a nation with a majority of weaklings now.
Link Posted: 1/28/2021 8:23:57 AM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 1/28/2021 8:25:13 AM EDT
[#32]
9mm will fix about 95% of it.
Link Posted: 1/28/2021 10:21:04 AM EDT
[#33]
Elect a democratic president, House of Representatives, and Senate, and the problem disappears.

I seent it happen.
Link Posted: 1/28/2021 10:46:32 AM EDT
[#34]
I know a little about this subject.   Homeless people are 99.99% addict's.   a very small percentage had something else going on first.  Most were normal until they chose drugs.   You would have to work both ends.  Law enforcement not allow pan handling, loitering, camping,  etc.  Provide rehab options that a judge can force. that would have to be followed by half way type programs.  Everything would have to be strict.

Homeless in my area get their money from pan handling, drug dealing, and some do work. There is only a little bit of prostitution.  My company will hire certain homeless guys for labor.   If they aren't good workers, get rid of them immediately and give them a ride to the nearest bus stop.  If they are good workers, you have to tolerate the no show days.  We also had a convicted felon as a full time employee.  She did a year for drugs and car theft.  She was an excellent employee and we call on her for a few hours here and there.  But now a full time college student with 2 kids.
Link Posted: 1/28/2021 10:49:19 AM EDT
[#35]
Scoops and Soylent Green
Link Posted: 1/28/2021 10:49:48 AM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 1/28/2021 10:59:07 AM EDT
[#37]
Link Posted: 1/28/2021 11:02:32 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

View Quote

You can't

There will always be poor people

You can try to fix the root of the problem which is society but good luck with that
Link Posted: 1/28/2021 11:06:49 AM EDT
[#39]
History shows the last " Homeless " we tried to fix at something like these levels were the Indian Nations.
Link Posted: 1/28/2021 11:07:52 AM EDT
[#40]
Work camps .
Link Posted: 1/28/2021 11:09:02 AM EDT
[#41]
Use a killdozer to remove all encampments.

Residents get a one way ticket to a homeless paradise facility in the desert.
Link Posted: 1/28/2021 11:09:08 AM EDT
[#42]
Dont feed or give them money. When they steal from you, bury them in the back yard. It will never end until the mental illness is cured. So, good luck w/ that...
Link Posted: 1/28/2021 11:09:13 AM EDT
[#43]
Zero tolerance for vagrancy, combined with better mental facilities for the dysfunctional and bottomed out addicts.

Give the authorities a safe, humane place to take the violators, but tolerate nothing as far as panhandling on public roadways and vagrancy in public spaces. It's bad because it's tolerated. But, without giving human beings who are broken or ill someplace to land (and hopefully improve), it must be tolerated.

Nothing else will ever work, but we won't do any of that because both political sides will fight one or the other.

It's a problem we won't even begin to solve in our lifetimes.
Link Posted: 1/28/2021 11:09:47 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Bus ticket to Portland. Ship them all to their chosen paradise. Free money, useless cops, less than useless politicians, and no drug convictions.
View Quote

I'd love to see that happen.
Link Posted: 1/28/2021 11:10:36 AM EDT
[#45]
It's not something anyone wants to admit, but some problems simply don't have solutions.

Step1: Recognize that poverty is not a disease or punishment or something imposed on you.  It's the default for all living beings.
Step2: Be thankful you're rational enough and in an environment that you don't have to live in poverty.
Step3: Understand any being capable of exercising agency must be allowed to do so.  Denying them this basic human right at least to the extent they aren't causing real harm to others makes you the bad guy.
Step4: You can't do wrong and expect a good outcome.

If you got through all that and still think you have some grand plan to "fix" homelessness you're by definition psychotic.  Not even kidding,... go look it up.  After that go look at the history of what happened when societies tried to implement grand sweeping plans for dealing with mental health issues.   It always ends in dystopian deprivation and/or atrocity.

If you really want to "help" do so with those people within arms reach of you.   It may not work,  but it's actually possible to have a good outcome when you're working to help people whose faces you see and you actually talk to.  Huge overreaching grand designs always end up being nameless faceless engines of inefficiency always exacerbating the problems they're meant to solve.
Link Posted: 1/28/2021 11:12:25 AM EDT
[#46]
We are all dodging the input from the Curtis LeMay crowd. Question asked, question answered.
Link Posted: 1/28/2021 11:14:29 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Funnily enough this is exactly what NewYork did.   They were giving homeless people a check for around $5k and a plane ticket to the left coast if they signed an agreement to not return.  I think California and a couple other states sued them for it too.
Link Posted: 1/28/2021 11:33:14 AM EDT
[#48]
Bring back mental health asylums, legally enable someone to be committed under humane circumstances..requiring a certain number of witnesses and doctors to certify, etc.

Oregon is currently providing an example of recreational drugs being legal..if it works they need to have established drug dens for consumption away from the public. Hell setup shop near the abstinence clinics I don't care-market the disease and cure.

Housing facilities need to be established for the ones that don't fall into the category of mentally ill or druggies. I think the need for this will be mitigated once the other two are covered.

Link Posted: 1/28/2021 11:33:30 AM EDT
[#49]
Austin city council bought another hotel. $100,000 a room, for starters. For about 60 people. And, without notifying the local homeowners.

Tuesday, people in Northwest Austin protested the proposal of turning the hotel into a homeless shelter.

"We've had people sleeping in the bushes, people homeless with a case of beer and lunging at a person. The new hotel, which is not open yet, was broken into," said Marie Chaudhari, Owner of the Hamptons Inn Hotel.

"It's just too close to all the homes. The single homes is right behind middle school very close and Westwood High School, I just don't think this the right spot," said Fred Cheng, Owner of Freda's Seafood Girl, next to the hotel.

The city held public comment on the hotel purchases Wednesday. On the agenda, the purchase of both, the Candlewood Suites and Texas Bungalows Hotel & Suites in North Austin.

The combined $16 million purchase will help to house 150 people.

Council member, Kelly, says she plans to host a townhall with the community over the next week.

"I think we need feedback from the community, but we also need to think about where these hotels go."

Those in area say they're looking forward to being a part of the conversation.

"City council or no one notified us," said Chaudhari.
Link Posted: 1/28/2021 11:35:18 AM EDT
[#50]
Martian penal colony
Page / 5
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top