Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 5
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 7:24:30 PM EDT
[#1]
Can't.  It's like solving the problem of feeding seagulls at the beach.  I have watched and warned people not to feed them.  When they do, they get ALL of the gulls, ALL DAY.

Providing freebies to anybody usually makes the problem worse.  There are also a few "urban outdoorsmen" who actually prefer to live on the streets.
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 7:24:46 PM EDT
[#2]
Battle royale on a remote island.

The losers die.  The winner dies last.
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 7:25:00 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
In LA I'd get an old cruise ship and have them dry out / clean up and learn a trade.
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/519319/ship_jpg-1799582.JPG
View Quote

Or load them up and point it at India. Get rid of a few thousand homeless and scrap the boat at the same time.
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 7:26:28 PM EDT
[#4]
I doubt you can.  Some people are incapable of living competantly, imho.

I do think as a society we have the means to support those incabable of supporting themselves.  Unfortunately the more generous society is the more people take advantage of it.  I don't think that will ever change.
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 7:26:49 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
My honest reply would violate several CoC provisions.
View Quote

Haha. I was thinking the same.
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 7:27:11 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Or load them up and point it at India. Get rid of a few thousand homeless and scrap the boat at the same time.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
In LA I'd get an old cruise ship and have them dry out / clean up and learn a trade.
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/519319/ship_jpg-1799582.JPG

You thought being homeless was tough? Now you're homeless in India!
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 7:27:15 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

I'm tempted to say that those "temporarily down on their luck" count for far more than most people would believe.

As for arresting the drunks/druggies: you still have to house them "humanely." A drunk tank isn't a humane way to house them. And the cost of taking them in, processing them, giving them medical attention, then releasing them is already astronomical.

This question (what to do with the homeless) is staggering in its implications. You first must decide who "the homeless" are. Are they the drunks staggering down the street? Or the mom of 2, trying to get into a shelter? Or (as one Arfcommer pointed out) are they the lady in a very nice car, who slept in her car on his cul-de-sac, and evidently got her shower in a local park or somewhat? Every one of them has his own story.

View Quote
As far as the sleeping in the car goes, I really hate that we have people who seemingly have to do that.

Watched a documentary on the YouTube a few weeks ago about a fenced-in area somewhere in California where there were a lot of folks that were allowed to park to live in their vehicles. They'd work during the day, but come live in their vehicle afterwards. One of the gents would sleep sitting in the front seat of his small car. I'm sure quite a few had vehicles so small that they'd do that. Day after day after day.

That's no way to live.
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 7:29:36 PM EDT
[#8]
Do whatever Seattle doesn't. Homeless camps and shelters with gov contracts are big business now though, I know that.
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 7:29:50 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Reinstate mental hospitals
Arrest vagrants and bums just drunk/high and sleeping on park benches.
Arrest them when they trespass and steal.

This will open up available beds and services for the small minority of truly homeless people who are temporarily down on their luck and need a helping hand to get back on track.
View Quote

This

I have been around a lot of homeless on job sites if you talk to them most have an addiction.
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 7:31:13 PM EDT
[#10]
Depends, who's answer do you want ? Choices are between Gandhi and Curtis LeMay approaches. No in between. Real world numbers for the difference in cost and effectiveness are huge.
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 7:31:52 PM EDT
[#11]
You can't fix homelessness.

The Soviets covered up their homelessness problem because it contradicted the ideology. Even in a society with government issued housing and guaranteed jobs, they dealt with people who opted to live on the streets.

You can make your particular city less attractive to the homeless, so you don't draw them in from elsewhere.
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 7:32:04 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Fixing homelessness would have to mean "fixing" mental illness.
View Quote

Link Posted: 1/27/2021 7:32:35 PM EDT
[#13]
Ship them to Cali.

Link Posted: 1/27/2021 7:33:52 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

This will open up available beds and services for the small minority of truly homeless people who are temporarily down on their luck and need a helping hand to get back on track.
View Quote

Arresting and holding in jails get expensive. What are you going to do fine them? Imprison them? That's even more expensive.

Best to contain them as best as possible and not incentivize anything.
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 7:34:54 PM EDT
[#15]
ugh, all of you... you just dont get it.

this girl has the solution:

Tiktok thot solves homelessness meme
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 7:34:57 PM EDT
[#16]
Homelessness is a symptom of many larger, underlying (and often interrelated) problems:

Mental health, depression
Broken homes (abuse - sexual and otherwise, see above)
Lack of jobs (outsourcing, exporting manufacturing)
Lowering wages (importing illegal & legal H1B workers)
Consumer culture, materialism (living beyond means)
Lack of community
Social isolation
Hedonistic lifestyle (going overboard with alcohol abuse, drugs, sex, etc see above “mental health”)
Lack of spirituality / God
Greed from our Ruling Class Decision Makers
Lack of personal discipline
Dysfunctional culture
etc

Each of those situations feeds off of the others and exacerbate each other.  It’s a downward spiral where one or more issues lead to homelessness as one of the results.
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 7:35:47 PM EDT
[#17]
Maybe a longterm fix, but Your probably not going to be able help the older homeless people, but you might could do something about the younger people who trend that way, such as the dropouts and problem kids. Since, state will end up footing the bill some way or the other and communities suffer from the crime generated by homeless, the payoff would be creating a safer community with less crime and more stable, contributing societies from the possibility of changing culture for the good. But the idea, maybe for people meeting certain criteria is to be put into state reserves for humanitarian aid. They would have a place to stay, receive whatever equivalent to GED ( for those without a diploma) and earn their keep by contributing to their respective states needs and also see and help with the damages first hand of what drugs, crime, gang bangs, etc. does to people and communities.
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 7:37:53 PM EDT
[#18]
Austin wants to but 2 more hotels, at most 150 people in the rooms. $16.2 million.

Link Posted: 1/27/2021 7:39:07 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
As far as the sleeping in the car goes, I really hate that we have people who seemingly have to do that.

Watched a documentary on the YouTube a few weeks ago about a fenced-in area somewhere in California where there were a lot of folks that were allowed to park to live in their vehicles. They'd work during the day, but come live in their vehicle afterwards. One of the gents would sleep sitting in the front seat of his small car. I'm sure quite a few had vehicles so small that they'd do that. Day after day after day.

That's no way to live.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm tempted to say that those "temporarily down on their luck" count for far more than most people would believe.

As for arresting the drunks/druggies: you still have to house them "humanely." A drunk tank isn't a humane way to house them. And the cost of taking them in, processing them, giving them medical attention, then releasing them is already astronomical.

This question (what to do with the homeless) is staggering in its implications. You first must decide who "the homeless" are. Are they the drunks staggering down the street? Or the mom of 2, trying to get into a shelter? Or (as one Arfcommer pointed out) are they the lady in a very nice car, who slept in her car on his cul-de-sac, and evidently got her shower in a local park or somewhat? Every one of them has his own story.

That's no way to live.

Yup
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 7:40:02 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
View Quote

+ drug addiction
Alcoholism
and drug induced mental illness
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 7:40:08 PM EDT
[#21]
You can't, not in a free country the way most of you would want and probably can't do it at all.  Poverty is a natural human condition overcoming which takes individual decision/will, work/effort, and the protection of the fruits of labor - and removing ANY of those elements guarantees a return to poverty.  We now live is a society that believes politics or nothing at all should somehow accomplish it, which is foolish fantasy.    

You can't have state run psych wards where people are involuntarily committed without force and court oversight, and even assuming that it has to be paid for by families or forced, or by the state forcibly taking the funding from you.  

You can't jail petty criminals and vagrants without space in prisons, which means treating prisons as a punishment and elimination system, which means you have to trust the law enforcement, judicial, and legislative systems as well.

You can't provide free/cheap housing without removing incentive to produce and save, and screwing up the housing market pricing and quality curves (and not just housing), and creating a dependent/slave underclass.

You can't continue with immigration until the problem is solved since the current system removes lower/entry middle class opportunities and fills the bottom labor and dependency classes, all of which use job opportunities and create housing demand pressures.  

Well, you can't at least unless you value the chaos the current system is providing for you in keeping the status quo, and the international kudos you receive for perpetuating the system more than the long term needs of the individuals held in the situation or nation.  The Poverty Industrial complex is a real power, cash, and influence factory for many politicians and "community organizers".
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 7:40:17 PM EDT
[#22]
It's not a one-solution-fits-all.... because homelessness doesn't have a single cause.

There is a lot of mental illness, and things like hospitals and facilities tailored to that type of stuff - previously known as 'insane asylums' and such - just don't sit well with everyone. There would be huge resistance to setting up facilities like that, I'd think... but it would be a good way to help. They could be sheltered, fed, medicated (where needed) and kept safe.

Other causes are people making bad choices, and things like substance abuse. For the latter, things like the above facilities could help get people sober and clean and then hopefully back out in the workforce.

Link Posted: 1/27/2021 7:41:11 PM EDT
[#23]
There will be no fix. With the destruction of the economy FJB is creating a whole new wave of homeless. You can't destroy the number of jobs the Dems are killing and have the Gov print enough money to prop up welfare to keep the people in homes.

The high paying jobs in the energy sector paid for large house and truck/car payments. Unemployment checks will never get high enough to cover that.

And I don't even want to think about the tax bills that will be added on....
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 7:41:16 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Without addressing addiction and mental illness first there is no fix.
View Quote

It really is this, massive cash outlay to build facilities and hire staff for rehab not just warehousing.  And we need to be able to take them off the street involuntarily, if need be.
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 7:43:17 PM EDT
[#25]
Require them to work in order to get any kind of assistance.

Like the WPA during the Great Depression.

There's a lot of clean-up that can be done. A lot of garbage to pick up in the inner cities. A lot of shit on the sidewalks in San Francisco.
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 7:44:57 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Battle royale on a remote island.

The losers die.  The winner dies last.
View Quote

I like those odds!
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 7:45:56 PM EDT
[#27]
Open a hunting season on them, they’ll clear out pretty quickly.
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 7:48:40 PM EDT
[#28]
Force liberal politicians to adopt them.
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 7:49:57 PM EDT
[#29]
Growing up in NYC and the Bronx, I can tell you the vast majority like 90% of homeless people suffer from mental illnesses. Start there if you really want to do something. However to be really honest, there's not much you can do to permanently solve the problem.

Because the biggest problem is too many people breeding that shouldn't be.
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 7:51:04 PM EDT
[#30]

This was my motivation for starting this thread. The clowns downtown seem to think $108K per room is a good solution, I really hope Abbott just steps in and has the city cleaned up.
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 7:52:23 PM EDT
[#31]
Feed the homeless to the hungry.

The reality is that the more we subsidize homelessness, the more homelessness we’ll get.

You need to make it painful to be a bum.
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 7:57:21 PM EDT
[#32]

How much of that $16.2million gets funneled back to the City Council members? Everything government does costs more than it should for reasons other than actual costs.
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 7:58:12 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Without addressing addiction and mental illness first there is no fix.
View Quote
This.

Watch the documentary by the Seattle TV station.  Overriding take away message is that the majority of their homeless are addicts.

The misleading phrase consistently used by the media refers to those "experiencing homelessness."  As if it were some transient, external cause, such as a productive worker losing a job.

This problem will never be solved without effectively addressing the root cause...

Link Posted: 1/27/2021 7:58:27 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

This was my motivation for starting this thread. The clowns downtown seem to think $108K per room is a good solution, I really hope Abbott just steps in and has the city cleaned up.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

I wonder what connections the building owner has.
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 7:58:51 PM EDT
[#35]
Release the Mosquitos!!!
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 8:00:53 PM EDT
[#36]
I imagine actually deporting all of the illegal aliens would free up some real estate.
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 8:03:04 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Give everyone a house...
View Quote

@WhirlyGirl45

In the future, I want an IM requesting permission to change your avatar.  

You can't throw me off like that!
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 8:04:19 PM EDT
[#38]
Stop giving them government benefits, these people have no incentive to work. Many homeless are homeless by choice. It should be uncomfortable to be homeless, not easy

ETA: I disagree with many of you who say “fix mental health”...  this is only part of the problem. A huge Swath of these people need mental help, but not all.
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 8:04:27 PM EDT
[#39]
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 8:05:18 PM EDT
[#40]
Mental health and addiction is the key for homelessness. Until you’re prepared to face those issues, you’re pissing money away.
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 8:05:43 PM EDT
[#41]
Feed fat people to the homeless then use the homeless as crab bait. Rinse repeat.
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 8:07:27 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
View Quote

This.  The liberals want you to believe "waaah, it's society's fault they don't have jobs!"  It's not true.  The majority of the homeless are mentally ill and cannot function in society.  They should be institutionalized in a pleasant facility.
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 8:07:47 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

View Quote

There we go.

Treat homelessness, police vagrancy.
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 8:08:35 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

What kind of realistic solution would you have to fix homelessness in a city?
View Quote

Acme Instant Holes

Link Posted: 1/27/2021 8:11:37 PM EDT
[#45]
There is no single solution to a complex problem.

Some are mentally ill. We've ignored this problem for ages and even made it worse by empowering these people to make decisions as if they were not mentally ill, despite being mentally ill.

Others are down on their luck and fall through the cracks. A better safety net that does not keep people trapped in it or reward bad choices.

Creating a system that allows long term solutions by guiding people to be productive. It does something to people when they feel they have nothing of value to contribute, even a low paying job that is theirs is better than the perpetual victimhood mentality that is created.

Drugs are another part of the problem. Addictions cannot be solved with logic and reason on the addict side. They do not think rationally, which is part of the problem. That's why tough on drug laws don't work, the addicts do not factor this into their decision making process. I don't have an answer here other than observing the wrong answers.

The price of housing vs income. The gap has grown tremendously. That's a complex issue, caused in part by the tax code and low interest rates which make the home the single best investment vehicle, which drives up prices. If homes need special tax status to protect homeowners, the problem is taxes are too high.

Solving homelessness require real thinking. But instead we'll get meaningless platitudes like housing is a basic human right! It is not. Its a resource that we have to figure out how to best allocate, either by the free market or through government or anywhere along that spectrum.
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 8:13:18 PM EDT
[#46]
Death squads?
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 8:16:08 PM EDT
[#47]
In a liberty loving country, you cannot fix poor, or homeless. People will live as they choose.
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 8:17:12 PM EDT
[#48]
I would say bus them to California but that's too close,how about NYC

oh wait we can put them on barges out in the san francisco bay
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 8:19:57 PM EDT
[#49]
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 8:20:22 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
You can't, the problem lies with American society itself and how fucked up this country is.
View Quote

Not really. Society in general (any) will breed some individuals who just don't want to conform to norms, they don't want to drive cars, live in nice houses, etc etc. If you go out to the boonies, you will see some really really odd people and behavior. That's their right, it's their liberty to live how they want. You can't make them be NOT poor, or keep all their teeth, people will live like they want.
Page / 5
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top