Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 13
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 10:16:53 PM EDT
[#1]
Buy and hold AMC and GME in the morning.  This is not over and they are currently discounted from the AH attack.
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 10:17:29 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote
DOJ opens investigation into right wing financial terrorism.
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 10:21:05 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 10:30:26 PM EDT
[#4]
Attachment Attached File

^ and I'm late to the game. So what should I buy?
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 10:34:05 PM EDT
[#5]
What platform is everyone using? I tried sighing up for robinhood but registration is broke as hell.
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 10:43:39 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Normally I'd agree with you.

But this particular instance is unique.

The short interest is 140% of float.  In order to drive the price down the hedge funds put themselves further in the red, and it didn't work.  In fact over the course of the week short interest has gone up slightly.

To follow on, many of the investors on WSB have made serious money this year and actually have capital (not all).

It's very possible that the biggest hedge funds in this are literally backed into a corner and the only way they can get out is to break the spirit of the investors, and if you read WSB, the vast majority of them are seeing this as the little guy vs the big guy.

Keep in mind Blackrock, one of the biggest fund managers, holds a significant number of shares already that they bought before all of this (my guess is for the sole purpose of loaning to short sellers).

To pile on the stock has been so volatile that the market makers are helping to fuel this just to keep their P&L from crashing.

If retail investors hold a significant enough percentage of the actual shares to prevent the hedge funds from being able to cover (very likely), they just need to hold onto their shares to drive a short squeeze.

They've made it clear they intend to hold.

The price may fluctuate, but if the shares aren't there to cover the short positions, the hedge funds will literally go bankrupt.

This is real.
View Quote

Oh please. Oh please.
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 10:46:07 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 10:48:00 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 10:48:03 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
What platform is everyone using? I tried sighing up for robinhood but registration is broke as hell.
View Quote
I use ThinkOrSwim through TDArmeritrade because its API is set up for automated options trading strategies I'm interested in. Kind of dismayed TD restricted trading in the WSB stonks.
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 10:49:15 PM EDT
[#10]
Today was glorious. Buy AMC on the dip in the AM in pre market.

Up over 10k today. Will not sell.
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 10:51:20 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
View Quote

I use Fidelity and it has had the least outages over the past year as far as I can tell. I would advise using anything but Robinhood.
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 10:51:32 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I use ThinkOrSwim through TDArmeritrade because its API is set up for automated options trading strategies I'm interested in. Kind of dismayed TD restricted trading in the WSB stonks.
View Quote

Fuck TD.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 10:55:04 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 10:56:47 PM EDT
[#14]
I'm using WeBull
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 11:01:04 PM EDT
[#15]
Can someone embed the Tendieman sea shanty gif? It’s fucking hilarious.

https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/354838893754843137/803962798828290068/yoywHMv7Y7HgGFdT_1.mp4
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 11:07:39 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
[snip]

If retail investors hold a significant enough percentage of the actual shares to prevent the hedge funds from being able to cover (very likely), they just need to hold onto their shares to drive a short squeeze.

They've made it clear they intend to hold.

The price may fluctuate, but if the shares aren't there to cover the short positions, the hedge funds will literally go bankrupt.

This is real.
View Quote

Does the real percentage of the retail holding matter?  The short call is for 140% of the available shares.  Essentially everyone holding has to be compelled to sell.
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 11:10:44 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Can someone embed the Tendieman sea shanty gif? It’s fucking hilarious.

https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/354838893754843137/803962798828290068/yoywHMv7Y7HgGFdT_1.mp4
View Quote

That's awesome.  

The Tendieman - r/wallstreetbets Wellerman Sea Shanty Cover
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 11:11:00 PM EDT
[#18]
What's to stop foreign gov't back investors from doing this to destabilize our market?
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 11:11:44 PM EDT
[#19]
Just made a Robinhood account and pumped more money into GMS and AMC.

Let's do this boyos.
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 11:12:12 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
What's to stop foreign gov't back investors from doing this to destabilize our market?
View Quote

How do you think Soros got so powerful?
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 11:12:29 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
View Quote
What makes you think foreigners can't buy public stonk?
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 11:14:57 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View Quote

Shit, he fucked some countries currency IIRC
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 11:16:03 PM EDT
[#23]

Oh, that's not cool. I am officially irritated with TD. I'm now looking for a new company.
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 11:18:55 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Wanna know how to REALLY piss of a herd of autists?

Reddit Says It Will Cooperate With Law Enforcement If Necessary

Money managers watching the frenzied trading in GameStop shares have been asking one question: Is the action taking place on Reddit's WallStreetBets forum akin to market manipulation?   Users on the forum have shared screenshots of their bullish bets on GameStop and cheered the group's success in driving share prices higher. While authorities have typically targeted investors who knowingly spread false information online, as opposed to groups sharing their intent to send a stock's price higher, experts say regulators do have the means to rein in the latter. Asked for comment, a Reddit spokeswoman said the company's policies prohibit soliciting or facilitating illegal transactions. Reddit "will review and cooperate with valid law enforcement investigations or actions as needed," she said.

View Quote

Lol

Is Reddit on the stock exchange?
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 11:20:21 PM EDT
[#25]
Fuck it. I have a buy set for 5k shares of AMC. People going nuts going to lose a ton of money or get a lambo.

From how it was explained to me if everyone buys and holds it will go to the moon.
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 11:20:38 PM EDT
[#26]
Somebody harnessed the power of the Chans and Reddit to fuck Wall Street.

It’s the most beautiful thing to happen this year so far.
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 11:20:49 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That's not what I said.
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 11:22:09 PM EDT
[#28]
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Can someone embed the Tendieman sea shanty gif? It's fucking hilarious.

That's awesome.  

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rejpDqQUcV0
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 11:22:17 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Fuck it. I have a buy set for 5k shares of AMC. People going nuts going to lose a ton of money or get a lambo.

From how it was explained to me if everyone buys and holds it will go to the moon.
View Quote
Dang lol. I put in an order for 300 bucks worth  just to play around.
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 11:23:21 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm just imagining someone like PRC owned HSBC going after us like that.
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 11:27:16 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

Naked shorts and fractional reserves

This is the reason the strategy is working so well, the found a share with ~140% of the float shorted and just hunkered down.

https://thumbs.gfycat.com/EcstaticJubilantBeetle-size_restricted.gif
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Well now that's a spicy meat ball. How TF you close a short in which you can't buy all the shares for?

This is the reason the strategy is working so well, the found a share with ~140% of the float shorted and just hunkered down.

the quote i heard was 'we can stay retarded longer than they can stay solvent'
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 11:28:05 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Well now that's a spicy meat ball. How TF you close a short in which you can't buy all the shares for?

Link Posted: 1/27/2021 11:28:17 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Link Posted: 1/27/2021 11:28:34 PM EDT
[#34]
I do not know what i m doing but i love stocks.

Threw 5k down this morning.
Overall up 17% today

Nokia  was my best performer today. 33% daily rte of return
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 11:28:39 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

View Quote

JFC dude. The PRC stole our presidency. And you’re worried about this?
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 11:30:06 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

View Quote
Set that sell Limit. Mine is at $250....... I know dreaming. But set that sell limit to fuck over the shorts.
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 11:33:12 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Don't worry, that can never happen as long as the government doesn't open the door to it by issuing geological amounts of debt.
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 11:35:06 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Too late.
View Quote

For the next time this happens?

That is, what to read/study/preferred trading account to open to understand and get in on this Mickey Mouse Money Making Monster (MMMMM)?

Link Posted: 1/27/2021 11:57:45 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Whats funny is its totally market manipulation but how the hell is the SEC going to monitor it?
View Quote

It'll probably get Wallsteetbets shut down and the ringleaders prosecuted for some bullshit charge.  You can't be going after the king's bank.
Link Posted: 1/28/2021 12:02:50 AM EDT
[#40]
Link Posted: 1/28/2021 12:12:19 AM EDT
[#41]
Answer:

So GameStop, as you can probably imagine, is a company that was widely considered to be on the verge of failing due to being a brick and mortar gaming retailer in the age of covid and downloadable games. Due to this, big Wall Street hedge funds bet on its stock price continuing to drop by doing what is called ‘shorting’ a stock.

In simple terms, shorting a stock is when somebody ‘borrows’ a stock off somebody else and then immediately sells the stock. Eventually in the future they will need to buy the stock back to ‘return’ the one they borrowed. If the stock price drops, they make a profit (as they sold it for more then they bought it back for). However, there is one major catch. If the price rises, they’ll be forced to buy jt back at a higher price, and since stocks can essentially go up to infinity, they can go into ENORMOUS debt.

This is where /r/Wallstreetbets came in. People looked at this, and noticed that A) the stock was being ludicrously shorted (there were more shares ‘borrowed’ then even existed) and B) That due to the companies financials and things like the console cycle the company actually stands a chance at not going under. So a whole bunch of people thought it was a great idea to buy in and try to trigger a ‘short squeeze’.

A short squeeze is when the stock price skyrockets to the extent where the people who shorted the stock are going into massive debt. At some point they’re forced to cut their losses, so they buy back the stock they borrowed. But here’s the catch: since so many people have shorted the stock, there isn’t enough supply for the people to buy their stocks back. This means the people who actually own the stock can charge ABSURD prices for their shares because the shorts have literally no choice but to buy at those prices.

Additionally in these last few months, there’s been a bunch of unrelated good news stories which made people more optimistic about GameStop’s future, which served as the catalyst that began this squeeze in the first place. Eventually the hype hit a fever pitch on WSB, causing more and more people to buy in, forcing the price higher and higher. We’re now at the point where hedge funds are losing BILLIONS of dollars and average everyday people who bought in early are making life changing money from this play. One user (/u/Deepfuckingvalue) is currently at 48 million dollars off of an initial $53000 investment

Edit: also, this has triggered a whole bunch of other attempted squeezes on other heavily shorted stocks such as AMC, Bed Bath and Beyond and Naked cosmetics (among others) as people look to make more money and/or hurt the hedge funds

Edit 2: The people who borrowed the stocks have to pay a large interest fee on the stocks they borrowed, and that fee has gotten to be extremely expensive. So waiting for the stock to drop will continue to hurt them financially as well
View Quote

Link Posted: 1/28/2021 12:15:13 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

@raven ,

Did TD halt trading on the stocks period or just option trading?
Link Posted: 1/28/2021 12:15:41 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

View Quote
He shorted the fucking pound in GB
Link Posted: 1/28/2021 12:16:43 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

View Quote
5k shares? Thats like 1.5million
Link Posted: 1/28/2021 12:18:35 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
View Quote

Oh no!!!

What will we do without avaricious hedge managers or shopping mall based video game retailers?

How will we win WWIII?????
Link Posted: 1/28/2021 12:20:38 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

Oh no!!!

What will we do without avaricious hedge managers or shopping mall based video game retailers?

How will we win WWIII?????
View Quote

We’ll fight them with our baofengs, mak90s, Tula, and holosuns!
Link Posted: 1/28/2021 12:23:11 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

@raven ,

Did TD halt trading on the stocks period or just option trading?
View Quote
I didn't get any notices on either on the platform. I just heard about it over social media.
Link Posted: 1/28/2021 12:23:15 AM EDT
[#48]
Rock on 2020!
Link Posted: 1/28/2021 12:26:57 AM EDT
[#49]
Robinhood is sending all kinds of market warnings
Link Posted: 1/28/2021 12:28:01 AM EDT
[#50]
This play is making me so happy.

One of the main guys at one of these funds owns a resort by me that imports liberal after liberal to my town. Schmoozed with our liberal governor. Pushed gun gun control here.

I'm so giddy that he's going to get fucked hardcore. To the point where his tax haven resorts go under.

There are atleast 20 people in the area that made some accounts this past week to get in on ruining his company.

Yesterday the resort was supposed to open again to new reservations. It halted all new reservations. They got absolutely fucked by covid. And now are getting fucked because their big daddy ain't making money.
Page / 13
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top