Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 3
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 1:25:30 PM EDT
[#1]
Hang time was that you could unload a 48 ammo can (I think that is what they carried) and watch them fly in the air out to 2200. Watch the rounds impact then wait to hear the report of the hillside detonate.

Worst was if one side of the bolt connected one side of the bolt face with the live round and shove the 75# bolt forward to have the ojive of the warhead smashed halfway into the breech or chamber of the weapon. It took a few minutes to take cleaning rods and wedge the live round out and carry it off to a hole dug out for said round. It happened often.

In out hummers we had to carry both M2 and MK19. We loved the M2. MK19, not so much.

The cool thing on the MK19 was that you could obliterate a target in 10 seconds flat.

ETA: words
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 1:33:07 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Pffff, cut the link off and it’ll shoot out of an M203. But you can only do it once.
View Quote

I know you were likely kidding, but even if you cut the link off you end up with a 40x53mm  round that won't allow the breach to close on a weapon designed to only fire the 40x46mm grenades.  And that is certainly intentional...
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 1:33:21 PM EDT
[#3]
My experience was mixed.

I used them to reduce IEDs, suppress snipers, and perform numerous recons by fire, all with good results. I would free gun it and just walk rounds in. Worked well enough and I was able to set off an IED at 100 yards with no T&E.

However, they were a maintenance hog that required daily cleaning and lubing (with the cancer causing whale jizz). Frequent dust storms would seize up the guns since their isn't much protecting the gun from the elements. We also had a bad lot of ammo that resulted in locking the gun up mid contact. Out of the half dozen boxes I used, I had one time it locked up on me. Might have been the bad ammo, might have been the dust storm, might have been a lack of lube. Oh well.

We also had M2's that suffered severe failures so I its not the like the mk19 is a unique in that. I will say I have never had a .50 fail on me and I always thought it was a better all around weapon. The Mk19 needs better protection from the elements and a lot of love and care.

edit- I can also confirm the minimum arming distance on the rounds works. Sorry sarge!
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 1:40:26 PM EDT
[#4]
Big bada boom
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 1:49:34 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Love 'em.

When we were attacked in Camp Bastion, there were three Taliban fire teams.

One was dispatched by the Marines from the wing.

Another (guys who blew up the Harriers) was pinned down by fire from the Marines are Rangers in Strykers across the airfield, and then ripped apart by helo gunships.

But the other guys tried to hide in a smoke pit and got lit up by the Brit QRF which hit them with vehicle mounted Mk19s.  Mk19s being fired INSIDE the wire! It was glorious.
View Quote

Must have been beautiful!
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 1:53:30 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
It sucks to get a squib stuck in the barrel and duds are a B to get rid of.
View Quote

Corpsman attached to a USMC WPNS Co.

Circa 2004 we went to Ft. Dix for a shoot. The PL had the Mk19 crews dig fighting positions on the firing line. About 3 feet down one of the guys hit a Mk19 round with his e-tool and hopped out of the hole. Hand dug out 30 linked rounds. Insta cold range. Range control comes down with EOD. Turns out the reserve unit there the previous weekend buried them instead of firing or turning them in. Guess they were a bitch to get rid of too.

Also you can do this with it....

https://www.marinecorpstimes.com/news/your-marine-corps/2018/07/18/marines-practice-rarely-trained-machine-gun-tactic-to-prepare-for-a-fight-with-russia/

Marines Use MK-19 Grenade Launcher Like A Mortar
Link Posted: 1/28/2021 12:28:45 AM EDT
[#7]
A lot of people compare them to the 40mm from the m203, but the rounds have way more velocity (obviously) and my understanding is way more explosive power as they are carrying a larger payload.

I was lucky enough to get to be the OIC for a fam range in Iraq when we were issued the MSGL. We shot M203s, MK19s, and the MSGL. Targets were a bunch of abandoned automobiles that we used 7 tons to drag into a somewhat straight line in the desert. MK19 did way more damage than the others. Other grenade rounds (HEDP) just put holes in things, but it wasn't like the movies - no crazy explosion/flame, etc, just a ton of tiny holes everywhere, and about a 10 gauge size hole wherever there was a direct hit. Still super fun.
Link Posted: 1/28/2021 12:41:13 AM EDT
[#8]
Great weapon.

That said I much prefer the M2.
Link Posted: 1/28/2021 12:44:20 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Love 'em.

When we were attacked in Camp Bastion, there were three Taliban fire teams.

One was dispatched by the Marines from the wing.

Another (guys who blew up the Harriers) was pinned down by fire from the Marines are Rangers in Strykers across the airfield, and then ripped apart by helo gunships.

But the other guys tried to hide in a smoke pit and got lit up by the Brit QRF which hit them with vehicle mounted Mk19s.  Mk19s being fired INSIDE the wire! It was glorious.
View Quote

This story just gave me a totally non-homosexual boner and I love you. No homo.

My experience with the MK-19.

They occupy space in the arms room and every few months a few joes get detailed out to clean them, which means they have to read the manual to figure out how to take them apart because we never fucking use them.

If you're lucky enough to actually go to a MK 19 range and shoot one, you'll only shoot orange paint rounds and the fucking things will jam constantly because your armorer is an E-4 who got busted down from E-5 for a DUI and has no fucking clue how to fix a MK 19.

Whale cum is a thing. And it gets EVERYWHERE.

When they work, they are boner inducing......when they work.
Link Posted: 1/28/2021 12:44:46 AM EDT
[#10]
We weren't allowed to use them in Iraq in 2011. They are fun.
Link Posted: 1/28/2021 1:08:34 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
When properly timed and running they are the cats ass...

When needing work...they are a bitch....
View Quote

+1. My limited experience with them as well.

Neat as shit to fire them at the range. Little line of projectiles you can see. Then little explosions then the sound reaching you slightly afterwards .
Link Posted: 1/28/2021 1:14:28 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 1/28/2021 1:18:54 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
MK19 MOD 3, Army uses them as well. Yes, on mounting on vehicles, an if running good, will fuck insurgents shit up.
View Quote

When I was at FOB Mercury a guy in another company had an AD with one trying to clear it after a mission.  

A lot of people think this uses the same round as the M203 but it is much higher velocity with a much longer range.
Link Posted: 1/28/2021 2:17:33 AM EDT
[#14]
Love shooting them. Ran a range for one. Had a pallet of HE but no one showed up. We ended up shooting it all between 5 of us because it was easier than turning it all in.

The manual of arms is what gets people all the time. Load the rounds, close the cover, charge the weapon. Then, pull the trigger. Charge the weapon again and put it on safe. Now it's ready to fire. Get the count wrong and someone's gonna have a bad day.
Link Posted: 1/28/2021 2:52:18 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Air Force uses them as well
View Quote

No one cares.
Link Posted: 1/28/2021 2:56:44 AM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 1/28/2021 9:50:02 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
A lot of people compare them to the 40mm from the m203, but the rounds have way more velocity (obviously) and my understanding is way more explosive power as they are carrying a larger payload.

I was lucky enough to get to be the OIC for a fam range in Iraq when we were issued the MSGL. We shot M203s, MK19s, and the MSGL. Targets were a bunch of abandoned automobiles that we used 7 tons to drag into a somewhat straight line in the desert. MK19 did way more damage than the others. Other grenade rounds (HEDP) just put holes in things, but it wasn't like the movies - no crazy explosion/flame, etc, just a ton of tiny holes everywhere, and about a 10 gauge size hole wherever there was a direct hit. Still super fun.
View Quote

Larger propellant charge, not larger payload.

I gunned a MK19 for a while, on a CROWS.  It took a bit of work but it was worth it.  Every day I would just pull the bolt, take it in the shower with me, hit it with an air compressor to dry it, reapply whale cum vigorously.  I got to shoot it at least once a week.  Never ended up having a problem with the gun, once in a while the ammo would twist up inside the can but if you kept it loaded full it was good.  Stabilized on a CROWS you get some serious distance and accuracy out of it.

Link Posted: 1/28/2021 11:05:44 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Yup, gotta use the ol’ whale cum to lube em, CLP will seize that shit up like a 90 year olds heart in a strip club.

Buddy and I were running a gun on a qual range and he asked me to pass the whale cum, didn’t realize this cute blonde butter bar had snuck up behind us and was watching.  I hear her giggle and watch as he proceeds to lube the gun up after we’d run 5-6 cans through.  Well he slammed the squirt bottle down a bit hard and what can only be described as a “massive load” shoots out the top and nails him dead on in the face.  He turns to see if I notice and sees this 2LT completely lose her shit laughing and falling on the ground.  He turned about as red as the wrong side of a range paddle.
View Quote

And from that day until ets his name was moby facial
Link Posted: 1/28/2021 11:09:59 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View Quote

Thats exactly what my boy says.

He's a 1833, currently now in the armory.
Link Posted: 1/28/2021 11:13:49 AM EDT
[#20]
Guys that have actually carried these into harm's way, if you please....

Are they ever actually used in a "footmobile" role on the tripod?  It seems like every time I see footage or a photo it's on a vehicle (which makes way more sense, it's a huge bitch).
Link Posted: 1/28/2021 11:20:20 AM EDT
[#21]
Heavy af.  I like the route the russians went with their version.
Link Posted: 1/28/2021 11:35:46 AM EDT
[#22]
Great deadspace or semi-defilade weapon.  Rounds are expensive, heavy and take up a lot of space so don't waste it for other purposes.   You really don't want to ever have to use the round removal tool.

Mk.19 is kind of like a Pitbull.   Wonderful pet until it eats your whole gun team.   Except maybe the ammo man who is supposed to be with the ammo a good ways away.
Link Posted: 1/28/2021 11:41:56 AM EDT
[#23]
We had a similar 40mm weapon in the nose turret of the Cobra.  It fired around 400 rpm and the ammo drum held approx 450 rounds.  We called it a "Chunker".  It would flat tear shit up.  We were told the explosive / destructive power was similar to a standard hand grenade.  Imagine being in an area where grenades were going off around you at 400 rpm.  That would make you shit your pants for sure.  Interestingly, the rounds were fairly slow and you could see the rounds going out.  The aircraft aiming system automatically added the needed super elevation needed to put the rounds on target.

The M129 40mm system is on the right in this photo:

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Chunk, Chunk, Chunk,Chunk!
Link Posted: 1/28/2021 12:06:47 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
We had a similar 40mm weapon in the nose turret of the Cobra.  It fired around 400 rpm and the ammo drum held approx 450 rounds.  We called it a "Chunker".  It would flat tear shit up.  We were told the explosive / destructive power was similar to a standard hand grenade.  Imagine being in an area where grenades were going off around you at 400 rpm.  That would make you shit your pants for sure.  Interestingly, the rounds were fairly slow and you could see the rounds going out.  The aircraft aiming system automatically added the need super elevation needed to put the rounds on target.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/218014/Cobra_05a_JPG-1800384.JPG

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/218014/M129_Chunker_jpg-1800390.JPG

View Quote

Funny you should mention that... I asked my question above (about being used on the tripod vs. vehicle mounted) because it seems to this greasy civilian that the electrically driven 40mm that the Cobra used makes way more sense than trying to make API blowback work with such a heavy, slow projectile and funky pressure curve, if the weapon is deployed 95%+ of the time mounted on something with electricity.

You could always add a "hand crank backup" feature, and use it like the old Mk18 Mod 0 if you have no power.  

Link Posted: 1/28/2021 12:12:18 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

View Quote

This.
Link Posted: 1/28/2021 1:02:10 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Funny you should mention that... I asked my question above (about being used on the tripod vs. vehicle mounted) because it seems to this greasy civilian that the electrically driven 40mm that the Cobra used makes way more sense than trying to make API blowback work with such a heavy, slow projectile and funky pressure curve, if the weapon is deployed 95%+ of the time mounted on something with electricity.

You could always add a "hand crank backup" feature, and use it like the old Mk18 Mod 0 if you have no power.  

https://topwar.ru/uploads/posts/2018-08/1535731864_mk-18-mod-0-4.jpg
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
We had a similar 40mm weapon in the nose turret of the Cobra.  It fired around 400 rpm and the ammo drum held approx 450 rounds.  We called it a "Chunker".  It would flat tear shit up.  We were told the explosive / destructive power was similar to a standard hand grenade.  Imagine being in an area where grenades were going off around you at 400 rpm.  That would make you shit your pants for sure.  Interestingly, the rounds were fairly slow and you could see the rounds going out.  The aircraft aiming system automatically added the need super elevation needed to put the rounds on target.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/218014/Cobra_05a_JPG-1800384.JPG

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/218014/M129_Chunker_jpg-1800390.JPG

https://topwar.ru/uploads/posts/2018-08/1535731864_mk-18-mod-0-4.jpg

Not the same ammunition IIRC, I’m pretty sure those used low pressure 40mm
Link Posted: 1/28/2021 1:04:12 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

Not the same ammunition IIRC, I’m pretty sure those used low pressure 40mm
View Quote

Did the high pressure 40mm even exist before the Mk19?  The HP stuff was built to have enough ass to run the Mk19, wasn't it?

Anyway, if you switched to an electric drive, you could build it to take as high a pressure as you wanted, and it could still use lower pressure rounds if needed.
Link Posted: 1/28/2021 1:05:42 PM EDT
[#28]
I'll tell ya they're part of the reason I have so many creaks, aches, pops, and pains.
Link Posted: 1/28/2021 1:05:54 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Seems like it would throw a bunch of Fuck you at targets.

View Quote

That's why after giving them to us (USAF), and realizing that lobbing 40mm all over the base would not be a great idea, they took them away. Then gave them back.  Then took them away. Then gave them back, but only for overseas use.

Link Posted: 1/28/2021 1:07:01 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

Are they ever actually used in a "footmobile" role on the tripod?  It seems like every time I see footage or a photo it's on a vehicle (which makes way more sense, it's a huge bitch).
View Quote

The only time I ever saw the thing fired off a tripod was on the range.
Link Posted: 1/28/2021 2:45:03 PM EDT
[#31]
MK47 beats MK19 on a tripod.

Link Posted: 1/28/2021 2:59:14 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

Larger propellant charge, not larger payload.

https://i.imgur.com/lRxCdrr.jpg

I gunned a MK19 for a while, on a CROWS.  It took a bit of work but it was worth it.  Every day I would just pull the bolt, take it in the shower with me, hit it with an air compressor to dry it, reapply whale cum vigorously.  I got to shoot it at least once a week.  Never ended up having a problem with the gun, once in a while the ammo would twist up inside the can but if you kept it loaded full it was good.  Stabilized on a CROWS you get some serious distance and accuracy out of it.

https://i.imgur.com/jIKv4za.png
View Quote

According to the 60-series, the Mk19 main charge is 2 oz versus 1.1 oz for the M203 equivalent.
Link Posted: 1/28/2021 3:03:12 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

According to the 60-series, the Mk19 main charge is 2 oz versus 1.1 oz for the M203 equivalent.
View Quote

Really.  I stand corrected then.
Link Posted: 1/28/2021 3:08:57 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

They've also gone from CompB to CompA5 as the filler on the newest rounds.
Link Posted: 1/28/2021 3:16:05 PM EDT
[#35]
I really want one.

MK-19 AUTOMATIC GRENADE LAUNCHER FIREFIGHT
Link Posted: 1/28/2021 3:26:48 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You made me do research

Book shows Comp B for the M203 rds and Como A5 or Octol for the Mk19 rds.
Link Posted: 1/28/2021 3:32:30 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

Everyone is posting max range, not max effective range of 1600m.  That's like saying that the .22lr has a max range of 1588 yards.
View Quote

There are reasons.

M2 50 cal has max effective range of 1829 meters (when I was in the USMC) because that’s the distance it takes for the tracer to burn out.  Max effective range would be much higher otherwise.

I have shot the mk19 plenty of times out of an AAV.  And let me tell you, 2,000 meters isn’t hard at all.
Link Posted: 1/28/2021 3:32:50 PM EDT
[#38]
LoL, I haven't hear the term "whale cum" in 30 years. I recall them being temperamental and needing the jizz to run.

Before Desert Storm we were training for tank vs. tank combat against the Russians. One of the genius combined arms ideas floated around was to use Mk-19s to detonate the reactive armor on Russian tanks so our tanks and TOW critters could kill them. This was before the M1 and M1A1 and the TOW 2...
Link Posted: 1/28/2021 3:37:38 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

There are reasons.

M2 50 cal has max effective range of 1829 meters (when I was in the USMC) because that’s the distance it takes for the tracer to burn out.  Max effective range would be much higher otherwise.

I have shot the mk19 plenty of times out of an AAV.  And let me tell you, 2,000 meters isn’t hard at all.
View Quote

Mounted on CROWS it busts 2k accurately with no problem.
Link Posted: 1/28/2021 3:41:15 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Air Force uses them as well
View Quote

Coast Guard too, on the cutters in Bahrain.
Link Posted: 1/28/2021 3:44:27 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

View Quote

Ditto for the M-2.
Link Posted: 1/28/2021 3:45:32 PM EDT
[#42]
I found some pictures of me in 2003 with one in the turret that we used during Iraq. This was taken after we took over a warehouse at BIAP in april.

They are... fun.

Link Posted: 1/28/2021 3:48:39 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

View Quote

We had them set up at checkpoints in 2003 in Iraq on tripods.

Edit: Come to think of it, we had some we put on top of Al Karkh jail when we lived there as well. But they were always supplemented with crew serve mgs as well
Link Posted: 1/28/2021 3:53:18 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Goes out to about 2200m.  

The linked rounds can't practically be linked and unlinked, so you are stuck with what ever belt length you have.  I read the issue has been resolved.

Clearing jams can be interesting.

I remember the 31s would slather them with white grease.
View Quote

Whale sperm
Link Posted: 1/28/2021 4:00:05 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
The rounds are NOT interchangeable with the M203
View Quote

Interesting, I didn’t know that.  And that seems dumb to not run compatible ammo.
Link Posted: 1/28/2021 4:04:39 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

Interesting, I didn’t know that.  And that seems dumb to not run compatible ammo.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
The rounds are NOT interchangeable with the M203

Maybe they you know, didn’t want to break the shoulder of soldiers with a 203 or conversely limit a machine guns max range to about 400m.

Apaches should use the same gun that the A-10 uses by your logic.
Link Posted: 1/28/2021 4:04:57 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

We had them set up at checkpoints in 2003 in Iraq on tripods.

Edit: Come to think of it, we had some we put on top of Al Karkh jail when we lived there as well. But they were always supplemented with crew serve mgs as well
View Quote

Okay, cool, thanks.  Except for extremely “quick/dirty” checkpoints, you’d still have electricity available.
Link Posted: 1/28/2021 6:50:13 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
MK47 beats MK19 on a tripod.

https://i.imgur.com/QdWC5ke.jpg
View Quote

I like how the designers put the humongous old school front sight blade on there.

Link Posted: 1/28/2021 6:52:49 PM EDT
[#49]
I enjoy mine. Keeps the neighbors kids off the lawn.
Link Posted: 1/28/2021 7:04:42 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

Okay, cool, thanks.  Except for extremely “quick/dirty” checkpoints, you’d still have electricity available.
View Quote

Don't know what electricity has to do with anything. Nothing electrical on a mark-19.

USMC artillery batteries have (used to have?) a bunch of them for local security. When you are moving they are mounted on the trucks, when you stop they go out on tripods around the perimeter.
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top