BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 6
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 5:22:50 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I worked on a farm in high school. I've driven tractors, made hay, shoveled shit out of a barn. Never ridden a horse. There's a horse shed on my property from the previous owner that needs a little work. I'll fix it up eventually but I dont plan on ever getting  horses.  
View Quote

Worked on a cousin's horse farmette in my early teens.  Handled tons of hay and shoveled tons of horse shit, but I never moved up to getting to ride one of the damn things.

After I got tired of being free labor and was old enough to work for pay Dad allowed me to quit and younger brother got to be free labor.  He did get to ride because he was not a gorilla that my cousin thought would overtax one of her precious horses.

Link Posted: 1/27/2021 5:32:32 PM EDT
[#2]
Grew up on a cattle ranch, so yes.

Some horses are great, some were born assholes and will die assholes.
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 5:34:16 PM EDT
[#3]
I was married to a horse woman for 11 years and my elder daughter is a horse woman.

I know my way around a horse now.

It's a good survival thing to know, I'd never keep one as anything but transportation, but it's damned good to know how to ride and take care of horseflesh.
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 5:36:27 PM EDT
[#4]
No option for has a horse ever ridden you. I rate your pole 0/10.
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 5:38:21 PM EDT
[#5]
My daughter owns two of them - so yeah.
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 5:47:15 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

It's terrifying (and very unsafe) to ride in tennis shoes. That's the best way I can think of to get dragged/killed on a horse.
View Quote

Used to be a Wrangler on a dude ranch. People would show up ready to ride wearing flip flops and shorts
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 5:51:31 PM EDT
[#7]
Why ...yes yes I have ridden a horse.
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 5:54:32 PM EDT
[#8]
More ponies than horses and I'm not very good at it, but yes I have.
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 5:58:59 PM EDT
[#9]
Some days I'm better than others.

Link Posted: 1/27/2021 6:03:48 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
We had 6 at one point.
Now, ZERO.

I'm happier.
View Quote

I think at one time we had 13 (some race, some for working cattle).
Preferred my 4-wheeler
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 6:08:54 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

It's terrifying (and very unsafe) to ride in tennis shoes. That's the best way I can think of to get dragged/killed on a horse.
View Quote

Meh. I’ve done it. It ain’t so bad. Every day after school - saddle up, walk, lope, walk, unsaddle.

Getting a thorn in your big toe through your tennis shoe is enough to break someone of the habit, though (or get stirrups with toe fenders), at least for doing real, actual work.
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 6:22:48 PM EDT
[#12]
Yes. Future McDonald's hamburger. Never liked them.
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 6:26:51 PM EDT
[#13]
I've ridden an elephant and a camel, but not a horse.
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 6:34:00 PM EDT
[#14]
I'm much better on a horse than a motorcycle, not that this is saying much.
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 6:37:15 PM EDT
[#15]
Spent a weekend at cousin's farm when I was like 12. Rode horses all Day on Saturday.

Wore holes in my buttcheeks, didn't know. Aunt had to peel my undies off bloody sores, gross.

Never again
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 6:45:57 PM EDT
[#16]
Being a teenage stable boy in a dressage barn in the eighties are some of my fondest memories growing up.

Spending my days around moneyed older women who get what they want was absolutely glorious.
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 6:59:26 PM EDT
[#17]
Yes, more times than I can count when we were younger. My Gal of 50 years family are horse peeps. Rather get a root canal than get on one now.
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 7:00:02 PM EDT
[#18]
Yes
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 7:23:47 PM EDT
[#19]
no.  have always wanted to learn how.
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 7:24:49 PM EDT
[#20]
Wife owned two, now none.
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 7:33:32 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
I'm much better on a horse than a motorcycle, not that this is saying much.
View Quote

I suck on motorcycles. I quit riding them because I knew one day I’d probably kill myself on one.  That’s not an indictment of motorcycles, just my lack of good judgement driving them.
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 7:35:24 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
I suck on motorcycles. I quit riding them because I knew one day I’d probably kill myself on one.  That’s not an indictment of motorcycles, just my lack of good judgement driving them.
View Quote

I'm ok on a motorcycle but I don't trust other drivers.
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 8:38:43 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

I'm a trainer by profession, have my bronze, silver, and gold medalist.

We're in region 2, moved here from 9 in 2015.

Those are 2 stallions I used to ride. Black one is the sire of my current competition mare.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Yep, logged a few seat time hours. Moving through the usdf medals, do some training, yearling starting, all that nonsense. Like the warmbloods way better than the little western stock I learned on. Real fun starts at 17h
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/521930/He90lYRX-1910979902_jpg-1798862.JPG

What usdf region are you in? Didn't think we had any other actual dressage riders on here.

Let's be honest it's a pretty small pool period.

1, so east coast. I see your tails, looks like you've got a few hours in lol. Cute beasties you've got yourself.

I'm a trainer by profession, have my bronze, silver, and gold medalist.

We're in region 2, moved here from 9 in 2015.

Those are 2 stallions I used to ride. Black one is the sire of my current competition mare.

Beautiful movers!

I need to see if I can find anymore photos of my mare that are small enough to upload. Halfway through silver hoping to do our psg early summer. Trying to move more twoard training and away from farm managing/operations side of things
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 8:40:40 PM EDT
[#24]
I think I posted too soon yesterday.  I probably mentioned my gelding is a bit sour - I am getting used to his crow hopping, but he gave me a good effort at a buck yesterday.  I came out of my saddle, but did not fall off (I had it on me in case I needed to call my wife to drive me to the emergency room).  It was several hours latter before I realized my cell phone was missing.  Apparently I stayed on the horse, but my phone didn't.  Found it a little before 11pm last night.  He got today off, but my fat ass will be back on him tomorrow.  We are both being stubborn - wonder if I can break his streak before he leaves me in the hospital.  
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 8:43:39 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Were you ever on the CoTH forums?
@Equestrian

ETA: Wasn't it the USDF forum that was one of the few Y2K casualties?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Yep, logged a few seat time hours. Moving through the usdf medals, do some training, yearling starting, all that nonsense. Like the warmbloods way better than the little western stock I learned on. Real fun starts at 17h
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/521930/He90lYRX-1910979902_jpg-1798862.JPG

@Equestrian

No, I've spent tons of time lurking and reading but don't have an account most places. I'm betting that User name was gone years back. Usdf in 2k geez, I was still plonking around on loaner ponies in borrowed tack back then. Centerline scores got killed off last year, that was a loss
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 8:44:46 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Some days I'm better than others.

https://i.imgur.com/KDGgZ7U.jpg
View Quote

At least your boots were clean?
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 8:53:01 PM EDT
[#27]
Grew up with horses. Made a deal with horses in 1982, I wouldn't ride them anymore and they wouldn't chuck me off. The agreement was broken 1/1/2000, I ended up hanging upside down from the saddle horn until my belt broke and I fell on my head. I was way the Fuck too old to fall on my head. I haven't been on a horse since.
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 9:40:29 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

No, I've spent tons of time lurking and reading but don't have an account most places. I'm betting that User name was gone years back. Usdf in 2k geez, I was still plonking around on loaner ponies in borrowed tack back then. Centerline scores got killed off last year, that was a loss
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

@Equestrian

Cebterlinescores was a HUGE loss for the industry. It was the only real way to vet a trainer's claims about their show record.

Yeah, running a farm sucks, lol. We've owned this place since '15 now. Had built a beautiful new barn after we bought the place and it burned to the ground in July of 19.
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 10:00:50 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Yes since my family owned horses and mules. My wife has been pestering me for years wanting to buy a horse. It"s one of the few things I have flatly refused her.
View Quote

Other than the mules, you saved me a bunch of typing.
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 10:04:16 PM EDT
[#30]
I never have ridden a horse but I have ridden an elephant.

( and it wasnt me ex)
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 10:29:22 PM EDT
[#31]
We had a palomino mare when I was a kid then I took refresher lessons as a teen.  Western style, of course, we wuz poors then.  I had fun but would never call myself an expert or even "experienced".  I'm a whiz at brushing them down, saddling them, and cleaning their stalls, though!
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 10:34:36 PM EDT
[#32]
Grew up having a neighbor who made a living buying, selling, trading horses. Had 5 daughters, all homely as hell lol. Rode a few of his old sway back nags, but never any of the daughters.

When I was around 6 or 7, he picked up a draft horse. That thing seemed 10 feet tall to me. I had no idea they made animals that big. He picked me up and sat me on its back. Had to sit sideways because it was too wide to get my legs around. Dont think that horse even knew I was there.
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 10:35:38 PM EDT
[#33]
Grew up riding and working cattle.
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 10:44:34 PM EDT
[#34]
I can ride a horse just fine, but I hold that they're better off as sammiches and steaks.
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 10:49:58 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
I think I posted too soon yesterday.  I probably mentioned my gelding is a bit sour - I am getting used to his crow hopping, but he gave me a good effort at a buck yesterday.  I came out of my saddle, but did not fall off (I had it on me in case I needed to call my wife to drive me to the emergency room).  It was several hours latter before I realized my cell phone was missing.  Apparently I stayed on the horse, but my phone didn't.  Found it a little before 11pm last night.  He got today off, but my fat ass will be back on him tomorrow.  We are both being stubborn - wonder if I can break his streak before he leaves me in the hospital.
View Quote

Check that his saddle fits properly and his back isn't sore.
@mousehunter
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 10:53:47 PM EDT
[#36]
We had neighbors with Shetland ponies when I was little. They'd let us ride them if we mucked out their stalls and cleaned up around the barn. Rode quarter horses when I was older. Haven't ridden in 30+ years
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 10:55:07 PM EDT
[#37]
It’s one of my fondest memories of my great grandfather who worked for Circle M Ranch.  He had working horses.
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 10:57:28 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
I was married to a horse woman for 11 years and my elder daughter is a horse woman.

I know my way around a horse now.

It's a good survival thing to know, I'd never keep one as anything but transportation, but it's damned good to know how to ride and take care of horseflesh.
View Quote

My wife's family were ranchers for generations.
My daughter was a State Rodeo Queen and even my son won High point and Herdsman trophy in 4H with his horse. I had to ride in self defense  

Link Posted: 1/27/2021 11:00:36 PM EDT
[#39]
Used to ride saddle bronc in the rodeo in my 20s when I was bullet proof.
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 11:01:06 PM EDT
[#40]
My grandmother used to breed Arabians.  Flew them in from Saudi Arabia or whatever.

I showed until I was about 16.  Was into fox hunting and more sport horse stuff then.

I love horses but hate taking care of them.  If I could show up, ride and then jump off and leave that would be a motorcycle and I like those better
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 11:04:06 PM EDT
[#41]
Yes, but it’s been several years since I’ve been on one.
Link Posted: 1/28/2021 1:03:34 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

Check that his saddle fits properly and his back isn't sore.
@mousehunter
View Quote

Thanks for the heads up.  We are working with an instructor/vet tech.  He was our lesson/family horse in the early fall, but we had some problem pop up (trailering and backing) that needed to be taken care of - and in the meanwhile he did not get ridden as much as he should.  My wife got a mare in November, so it has been getting the most attention.  My issue (which are entirely separate from the others) is that he is just getting acclimated to trail riding vs arena/round pen work because 1) I get tired of going in circles 2) I want a ranch horse not an arena horse, and 3) he is our only horse big enough to deal with me (he is 1/2 draft).  
Link Posted: 1/28/2021 1:07:50 AM EDT
[#43]
Of course I've ridden a horse, of course of course
Link Posted: 1/28/2021 12:35:19 PM EDT
[#44]
I don’t think I’ve ever seen a poll on here that was so overwhelmingly one sided.  Pretty sure you would get a higher percentage of people answering yes to a “would bang that tranny thread” than no I’ve never ridden a horse.

Link Posted: 1/28/2021 12:45:12 PM EDT
[#45]
When I was in HS my sister and my GF both had horses. Sister was a barrel racer.
So I learned quite a bit about horses.
Probably could put on a bridle and saddle and mount up today.
Also rode one on a hunting trip up into some mountains.
Link Posted: 1/28/2021 12:55:08 PM EDT
[#46]
Yes, it’s been a long time though since I’ve ridden a horse. I used to take a chick I was trying to bang riding because she liked horses. Sadly I got friend zoned. I still liked hanging out with her but it sucked because I liked her a lot.
Link Posted: 1/28/2021 1:02:23 PM EDT
[#47]
Nope, but Knoebels has a badass 100+ year old carousel that I went on when I was little.
Link Posted: 1/28/2021 1:04:57 PM EDT
[#48]
Yes, mostly in America but I've ridden on the steppes of Inner Mongolia too.
Link Posted: 1/28/2021 1:13:34 PM EDT
[#49]
Yes
Link Posted: 1/28/2021 1:13:56 PM EDT
[#50]
Ridden, been thrown by, bitten by, feet stepped on by (both barefoot and booted), head-butted by, dove from on a creek swimming hole, cleaned hooves, cleaned and medicated infected peckers, artificially inseminated and palpitated, mucked enough stalls to fill a good sized house.
I went to a high school where some guys rode to school.

Do I get a cookie?
Page / 6
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top