BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 3
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 10:47:14 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 10:52:32 PM EDT
[#2]
I live less than a mile from SMKW & Buds, place has been jam packed this year.

It usually slows down in January but traffic has been nuts.

Oh and somebody tried to blow up wonder works yesterday so you have that going for you.

It's on the wvlt Web page.
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 10:54:21 PM EDT
[#3]
We went to Bennett’s December’19 and it was great. We went Dec ‘20 and it was horrible.
Howard’s had an awesome fillet though.
Avoid the salty raw bar like it’s the plaque.
Good late night drinks and food at The Smokey Mountain Brewery.
SMKW, but don’t bring any more money in there than you willing to spend.
The island was fun. We road the giant Ferris Wheel.
The road to Cherokee is awesome, but we just turn around at the visitor center and look for elk before head back into town.
There is a trail in Cade’s Cove that leads to a waterfall. It’s a good trek and will definitely burn some calories.
That was my favorite trail of them all.
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 10:55:10 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Spend some time in the Great Smoky Mountain National Park.  Drive to Cade's Cove and take the back way out down through Townsend.  Drive up to Clingman's Dome, as that is the thing to do.  Visit Smoky Mountain Knife Works.

ETA: For groceries, there are two Publix stores that are OK.  There is also a Wal-Mart on the parkway that has surprisingly nice stuff.  I'm talking Choice Tomahawk steaks and such.
View Quote
Make a to go order from Walmart on the way there and then you don't waste time shopping.
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 11:03:32 PM EDT
[#5]
hiking
Ripley’s aquarium
Forbidden Caverns
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 12:58:09 AM EDT
[#6]
Go hiking.   Been to the Smokies many years ago and I went during leaf season near Thanksgiving.  Ever seen the mountains when all the leaves are changing colors?  It's some great scenery.

Make sure you leave for the hiking trails early in the morning.  The posts about traffic are no joke.  The Cherokee Road or whatever the main drag into the park will be a literal parking lot after 0900, especially on weekends.  You may not get parking at hiking trailheads as there are very few spots on the nature trail (although the same is not true for big tourist spots like Clingman's Dome and Newfound Gap).  Try hiking to Grotto Falls (which you can walk behind), Mt. LeConte (already mentioned) and Brushy Mountain.  

Be aware that there are hogs and bears in the Smokies.  If you hike the 9 mile (one-way) trail from Newfound Gap to Clingman's Dome you will run across a few hog "ramps", which are actually built to keep hogs out of certain areas.   I liked that hike in particular; if you want something shorter (as it is a 18 mile loop back to your car at Newfound Gap) you can turn around at Mt. Collins.  

Just my opinion, but I wouldn't waste your time going to any stores.  You can see touristy stores at home.  Enjoy the unique nature views while you are there and have fun!

PS if you want food recommendations specific to the area, I'd recommend Huck Finn's (for fried catfish), Applewood Grill and the aforementioned Bennett's BBQ.  Pancake Pantry was ok but nothing really stunning.

PPS be prepared for long lines just to get into the Krispy Kreme.  I was driving south on Route 321 and saw a 1/8 mile backup in cars just to get into the parking lot ... of a donut shop.    They must love their donuts in that area ....
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 3:01:15 AM EDT
[#7]
Smoky Mountain Knife Works.  Go.
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 3:08:40 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Go to Cades Cove and get stuck behind a stupid fucking NYer that drives 5mph and stops on the road even though there's a God dammed sign every 1000' that says to use a pull off if you want to stop.
View Quote

It's even better when someone yells out that they see a bear, and the whole line of cars stops so everybody can haul ass into the woods to get a picture of the cute little bear cub.
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 3:16:04 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
How about go on a freaking hike? There are a few trails in the area.
View Quote

This and Ramsey Cascade 4 up and 4 down. Totally worth it
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 3:19:36 AM EDT
[#10]
I'm a big fan of the Trailhead Steakhouse in Townsend.
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 7:41:36 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Smoky Mountain Knife works, several gun stores, Local Goat restaurant, Alamo Steak House...........alpine coasters, gokart racing, etc...........touristy but fun
View Quote

Also if you like to hike this is the place for it.
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 8:02:12 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
What are some must see things in the area?
View Quote

Just came back, I've got my regular stops:

- Stop at the Applebarn (not the grill that's closer to the road), their food is ridiculously good
- Into music? Rhythm Section in Gburg is great and will take you back in time a little bit
- Into smoking? Gatlinburg Tobacconist in the same mall as the Rhythm Section has a great guy who runs the place, strange sense of humor but funny. He made me a custom pipe tobacco yesterday just for fun. Has a small walk in humidor and a big selection of old and new pipes.
- Gatlinburg Arcade (and one like it on the strip at the bottom of the hill from this one) is the only arcade worth going to for me. They have tons of vintage arcade games and pinball machines at both locations. Stuff to do for kids too. Pigeon Forge and Gburg used to be arcade destination number one for me but that's been two decades ago, but the other places are keeping the tradition going.
- Haunted Adventure and Mysterious Mansion are fun if you want a haunted house experience
- Donut Friar have amazing donuts at cheap prices and good coffee to boot. The Village where it's at is great for pics and has some other cool shops too.
- We like to stay at the Music Road Inn in Pigeon Forge because it's very very nice for the cheap price. We had the indoor pool to ourselves all day Monday.
- Smoky Mountain Knifeworks is a must-see even though stock (especially guns) is low. The Relic Room downstairs has some interesting stuff worth seeing.

Also regarding traffic, during the week right now it's incredibly low traffic. Weekends are still stupid. As it gets warmed up there will be more traffic and this past fall was incredibly bad. I thought I had a picture of the roads this year but apparently I don't. Nevertheless there's nothing I would call traffic right now, no lines up into the Smokies, definitely the time to go crowd-wise.
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 8:06:49 AM EDT
[#13]
The atrium has the best breakfast I've tried. Haven't been there in a dozen years or so though.
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 8:10:24 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Right now?

Don’t go. It’s packed beyond limits. Everyone is sick of being cooped up for covid and traveling there. Check some of the sites online, it’s bumper to bumper and shoulder to shoulder all over

Stuff like this is the common, and it’s much worse now

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/349123/AD3356AE-FED7-40D0-A58B-80DFD1230729_jpe-1798429.JPG
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Right now?

Don’t go. It’s packed beyond limits. Everyone is sick of being cooped up for covid and traveling there. Check some of the sites online, it’s bumper to bumper and shoulder to shoulder all over

Stuff like this is the common, and it’s much worse now

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/349123/AD3356AE-FED7-40D0-A58B-80DFD1230729_jpe-1798429.JPG

That looks like what it was like in the Summer/Fall (judging by the leaves probably when your photo was taken too). And it WILL be crazy in town in the Summer. Knowing ways around (and there are many) will make it more sane but if it's that busy I'm not sure I'd call it worth a trip unless you live nearby like I do. It's at its most charming when it's quiet and in my opinion, cold, given that the town is based on Swiss mountain towns.

Quoted:
The National Park.

This time of year might be tolerable in town, but mid summer is a special crowded hell with grid lock that is about impossible to navigate past.

Agreed on the description. There are ways though. They come with a special pucker factor if you don't like heights though. Wiley Oakley drive is the keyAttachment Attached File

Link Posted: 1/27/2021 8:13:02 AM EDT
[#15]
I go to clingmans dome every time I'm there. Cades cove is a two hour drive so I rarely get there.
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 8:17:11 AM EDT
[#16]
If you can catch the sunset at Clingmans Dome, it's worth it.

Link Posted: 1/27/2021 8:22:30 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Cherokee Grill in Gatlinburg puts a damn fine steak on the table. The Alamo Steakhouse in Pigeon Forge sells Waffle House grade steaks, they suck.

Oh, It's already been said but, Smokey Mountain Knife Works.
View Quote

I don’t know what you had there, but the steaks I have had at Alamo we’re excellent......
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 8:23:11 AM EDT
[#18]
sit in traffic
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 8:24:15 AM EDT
[#19]
Ramsey cascades hike
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 8:29:11 AM EDT
[#20]
Delauder's BBQ in Pittman Center has some good food, is family run, and not as busy as alot of other places. It's right on US321.

Elvira's in Wears Valley has an excellent breakfast and is usually not as busy as places in town on the strip. I avoid PF like the plague due to the insane traffic.
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 8:29:13 AM EDT
[#21]
If you take the loop around Smokey Mountain Natl Park to Clingmans Dome, go on the Tail of the Dragon.
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 8:36:54 AM EDT
[#22]
If you are former LEO, Fire, Or Military you can shoot over to Maggie Valley on Feb 7 and 8th for Law enforcement appreciation days.  Less than $30 bucks for lift and ski rental.  Not very good skiing, but will kill some time and they serve alcohol.
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 8:38:36 AM EDT
[#23]
Hillbilly Golf and The Comedy Barn won't let you down.
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 8:47:47 AM EDT
[#24]
Next week?

You won’t be doing much driving in the park, other than Newfound Gap Road, which crosses the mountain and into Cherokee, and Little River road.  Newfound gap closes frequently in the winter for snow removal. So no trips to Clingmans dome.

Link Posted: 1/27/2021 8:48:58 AM EDT
[#25]
There's a little bit of everything to do in the area. If you're into hiking check out Clingmans Dome and Abrams Falls Trail. Cades Cove is a nice scenic drive with several hiking trails. Ober Gatlinburg has some authentic German food and seasonal beers and you can ski this time a of the year.
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 8:52:01 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Hopefully mid-July...
View Quote

Jesus, it's going over a lot of heads.  I use this semi-dad joke every time.
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 9:05:39 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

I don’t know what you had there, but the steaks I have had at Alamo we’re excellent......
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Cherokee Grill in Gatlinburg puts a damn fine steak on the table. The Alamo Steakhouse in Pigeon Forge sells Waffle House grade steaks, they suck.

If you think Alamo is good, then Cherokee Grill or the Peddler will blow yer mind.  
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 9:15:00 AM EDT
[#28]
I can put you in touch with a good guide if you want to catch some fish on Douglas lake.
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 9:16:47 AM EDT
[#29]
Only thing I've ever done there was get fucking blasted with my infantry platoon and harass a sorority doing initiation stuff next door to our house.  Also someone said I tried to fight a bear but they rescued me before I punched it in the face.  And the cops got called on us a bunch of times.
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 9:23:55 AM EDT
[#30]
If you've got kids or like birds, Parrot Mountain was pretty cool.  Its up by Dollywood.  Most of their birds are just out in the ooen and there's an area they will eat from your hand, sit on your shoulder, etc.

It has a religious theme to it but its easy to overlook.
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 9:24:04 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Hopefully mid-July...

Link Posted: 1/27/2021 9:33:17 AM EDT
[#32]
Boy Named Sue reference.
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 9:38:15 AM EDT
[#33]
July? When you tire of the perpetual traffic jam and cheesy tourist traps take a day trip south through the beautiful SMNP to Cherokee and head east to here. https://wheelsthroughtime.com/  Totally worth the time.
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 9:43:34 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

Hopefully mid-July...
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
What time of year?

Hopefully mid-July...

iunderstoodthatreference.jpg
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 10:02:42 AM EDT
[#35]
Go to Frank Allen's Market and Grill. It's an old school burger joint in a gas station. Absolutely worth the trip.
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 10:04:01 AM EDT
[#36]
Franny Farkle's Footlong Corndog.

And @Apocalypto's game room.  
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 10:08:08 AM EDT
[#37]
It's one of my favorite places. Made 5 trips already. It's a little bit touristy but there's still plenty of things to do if you want to get away from people. Never been in the winter though.
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 10:17:09 AM EDT
[#38]
Sugarlands is better.
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 10:22:46 AM EDT
[#39]
These threads are always fun. Enjoy your traffic and more traffic.
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 10:23:30 AM EDT
[#40]
Get a cabin away from town so you can have some quiet at night.  In town is very crowded and touristy like everyone is saying but plenty of places for entertainment and to eat.  SMKW is awesome.
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 10:59:28 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Boy Named Sue reference.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Boy Named Sue reference.

Oooooh

Quoted:
Franny Farkle's Footlong Corndog.

And @Apocalypto's game room.  

Farkle's was THE place for the best new arcade games back in the day. It's a shell of its former glory but in that shell are those stinky and delicious hotdogs/sausages.
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 11:06:58 AM EDT
[#42]
I haven't been in years.

Is The Acorn still there?  Is it still full of ninja stars and penguin bait?
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 11:07:12 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

If you think Alamo is good, then Cherokee Grill or the Peddler will blow yer mind.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I’ve been to both of those as well...... all of them are good. Howard’s in Gatlinburg is also a good steakhouse.
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 11:14:46 AM EDT
[#44]
If you're going to Buds, you might inquire about renting a machine gun.
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 11:31:36 AM EDT
[#45]
A shame they can't have coasters like these. (Too many lawyers, I guess)
Mieders Alpine Coaster (with no brakes!!)

Imst Alpine Coaster - High Speed Pursuit

Link Posted: 1/27/2021 1:07:32 PM EDT
[#46]
Couple family members are in the Timeshare game (Selling/Business/Owners) and have access to rooms there and have offered me free rooms there whenever I want.  

I just want to go there so I can check out SMKW and sample all the locally made Bourbon & Beer.
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 1:43:03 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

Forbidden Caverns?
View Quote

@swampvol

is that the one with the lake under ground?  if so, that place was fun.
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 7:02:49 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Next week?

You won’t be doing much driving in the park, other than Newfound Gap Road, which crosses the mountain and into Cherokee, and Little River road.  Newfound gap closes frequently in the winter for snow removal. So no trips to Clingmans dome.

View Quote

Yeah I forgot to mention to OP that a lot of roads are closed during the winter.  The trailheads for the hikes I recommended (e.g. Grotto Falls) are closed now, as is the road from Newfound Gap to Clingman's Dome.  

The higher altitudes mean more snow; my trip to Smoky was many years ago in mid November but there were already patches of snow on the ground around Mt. Collins.   None on the summit of Brushy Mountain or Mt. LeConte.  YMMV.

Link Posted: 1/27/2021 7:44:14 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

@swampvol

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Forbidden Caverns?

@swampvol

That is the Lost Sea in Sweetwater, a good ways from Gatlinburg
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 7:55:24 PM EDT
[#50]
I’m just a little west of there.  How are you at hanging drywall?  It’s hard work for no pay, but I’ll buy you lunch.
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top