User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 10:47:25 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
What kind of Gs is that plane pulling and how is the pilot able to repeatably handle those crazy tight turns?
View Quote

Not so much because it’s moving slow.   That plane is violating every rule of aerodynamics.   Vectored thrust computer controlled magic.
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 10:48:05 PM EDT
[#2]
Elegantly bad ass
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 10:50:12 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Thank you for the heads up.

The first time I ever saw the standard F-22 demo was in a proposal coded in FORTRAN.  

Do you know what that downward, reverse corkscrew at the 3:00 mark looks like in terms of Mach, AOA, et cetera?  Yeah, neither did I.  Negative Mach, AOA > 100º? Like, what the fuck is this shit?

The pilot even tried explaining it to me, over the phone, in person, and and it was like listening to the merger of Top Gun and Turbo Encabulator.

Finally, he was able to get me a PowerPoint presentation they managed to draw up.

Apparently, I wasn't the only one confused as fuck about what it was we were trying to do.

tl;dr ...

https://gutterballs.tv/episode_images/006.jpg

View Quote

Turbo Encabulator and Top Gun...

Nobody said that making the hardware that would cause experienced US military pilots to say. "Like fighting alien spaceships." Was going to be easy.

"Turbo Encabulator" the Original

"Hot Shots!" - Opening Sequence
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 10:52:00 PM EDT
[#4]
He showed you his underbelly!!!

Cool video!!!
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 10:54:46 PM EDT
[#5]
The video is so good it almost looks fake.  

Incredible job.
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 11:03:14 PM EDT
[#6]
I'd have lost every meal I'd ever eaten if I'd been along for that ride.
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 11:09:34 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Thank you for the heads up.

The first time I ever saw the standard F-22 demo was in a proposal coded in FORTRAN.  

Do you know what that downward, reverse corkscrew at the 3:00 mark looks like in terms of Mach, AOA, et cetera?  Yeah, neither did I.  Negative Mach, AOA > 100º? Like, what the fuck is this shit?

The pilot even tried explaining it to me, over the phone, in person, and and it was like listening to the merger of Top Gun and Turbo Encabulator.

Finally, he was able to get me a PowerPoint presentation they managed to draw up.

Apparently, I wasn't the only one confused as fuck about what it was we were trying to do.

tl;dr ...

https://gutterballs.tv/episode_images/006.jpg

View Quote

I was flunked out of FORTRAN in 1972 because my  "card deck" was too small... and the PROF could not understand how I got it to work... So, a few year later I was installing and bringing a new quad plex watercooled computer system online... I had just removed the boot pack and started lighting up terminals when he walked in and recognized me.  He said.. "where do I know you from? "   I replied .. "Sir, I am the guy you flunked out of FORTRAN.  Here are the keys to your new system."
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 11:24:11 PM EDT
[#8]
Great video. Thanks.
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 11:24:26 PM EDT
[#9]
You filmed that OP?  Outstanding work.  Those F22's are very cool and your video captured that.
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 11:41:07 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Not so much because it’s moving so slow.   That plane is violating every rule of aerodynamics.   Vectored thrust computed controlled magic.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
What kind of Gs is that plane pulling and how is the pilot able to repeatably handle those crazy tight turns?

Not so much because it’s moving so slow.   That plane is violating every rule of aerodynamics.   Vectored thrust computed controlled magic.

Actually, pulling over 9 g’s during the minimum radius turn and heavy g loads across the routine. They get a workout for sure.
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 11:49:33 PM EDT
[#11]
What the pilot does at 1:25 and the sequence starting 2:50 is just insane.
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 11:55:24 PM EDT
[#12]
Beautiful aircraft, unbelievable flying skills
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 12:17:38 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Beautiful aircraft, unbelievable flying skills
View Quote
The demonstration is set up such that any F-22 qualified pilot can perform the maneuvers.  That was our stated intent from the beginning.  

However, there are pragmatic limitations on "any".  The pilot needs to be a younger pilot.  We've had a number of pilots who qualified on the platform at an advanced age, and it's not a knock against them but a recognition of reality, that they would probably not have the physical stamina to get through a demonstration with the same sequencing a younger pilot could string together.

In sharp contrast are some of the Sukhoi demonstrations, where those maneuvers are entirely dependent upon the refined skill of the particular pilot.
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 12:34:39 AM EDT
[#14]
that is freaking amazing.  watching those tail feathers flutter at odd angles to keep it flying is really cool.

and that's great video work OP, what kind of gear were you using to capture that? Quality was really good, how far back were you?
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 8:34:42 AM EDT
[#15]
The cockpit view of the maneuvers in OP’s video.

Full F-22 Demo: Exclusive Look Inside the Raptor
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 8:55:29 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Do you shoot wider and then use object tracking to crop in post? The tracking looks amazing.
View Quote

That's what I was thinking.  However you did it OP, it resulted in an outstanding video.
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 9:04:55 AM EDT
[#17]
That has to be the sexiest and most graceful aircraft ever created. It makes everything look effortless.
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 9:05:14 AM EDT
[#18]
Awesome
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 9:26:52 AM EDT
[#19]
If I had a time machine, probably one of the first things I'd do was go grab Orville and Wilbur Wright, bring them here, and show them what this plane can do in person (or at least this video).  I don't think they'd believe it, but they'd likely understand it pretty well, they were smart dudes.
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 12:35:24 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
This is a great lecture to spend an hour watching. Key takeaway: The F-22 is designed to take the piloting out of the plane and make the meatsuit a warfighte, letting the plane handle the flying part. For example, when it's time to take-off, the plane knows it's time to take-off and the pilot doesn't have to remember to set things like flaps, take-off thrust, etc. The plane just knows... Totally worth the watch.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n068fel-W9I

View Quote
It's a very good presentation, but he is sandbagging you on the requisite pilot responsibilities/awareness in that aircraft.   The aircraft gets you to a whole new set of challenges you never even knew you had.  And very quickly.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top