BCM
User Panel

Page / 6
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 2:58:55 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

lol
this is good advice for the married guys on here.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
MO's where never a big issue to me.  In fact I preferred paying by MO as the SO can't see them on the monthly credit card statements!

lol
this is good advice for the married guys on here.
I prefer to just tell my wife when I spend money on gun shit. Yes I know honesty is hard in one of the most important things in my life.
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 3:00:24 PM EDT
[#2]
Too each their own, I only deal in USPS MO, buying and selling. I'm sure I've missed deals because of it. Oh well.

My feedback buying and selling has either been FTF cash, cash in the mail or USPS MO.
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 3:15:03 PM EDT
[#3]
Over the years a few ARFCOM members had problems with USPS-assistance in filing a claim over bogus orders, if you have a problem(s) with your order, expect the USPS will be of limited, if any help.
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 3:22:04 PM EDT
[#4]
I'm in the USPS MO camp. I might be lucky in that my PO is small town and only 2 minutes away. I can buy or cash (sometimes) and mail a MO inside of 10 minutes. I've carried there, and I bet if they knew, they wouldn't care. They've told me to come late in the day for cashing, more chance of them having it, and makes their end of the day till audit easier.

My credit union treats a USPS MO like its cash, they will cash it out straight up. I also get 4 free cashiers checks a month from them.

PP ripped me off for nearly $4k years ago. Said I accepted a stolen credit card as payment from an ebay deal, even though my account was clearly not set up to accept credit, nor did I have any dealings with said user. Never got that $ back. And they are anti 2A.

I can't imagine walking around with a small, easily losable or easily broken device that contains my personal banking information. Cash FTF, or cash at the PO or my credit union just seems much more safe.
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 3:34:36 PM EDT
[#5]
I generally avoid dealing with retards and the "USPS MO only" crowd falls into that category for the most part.
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 3:35:52 PM EDT
[#6]
Online money transfers are great, until you get a prick who lies and says it wasn’t received or a chargeback.

Never again.
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 3:38:39 PM EDT
[#7]
Never had an issue with the USPS money order. Bank takes it with my deposits. Also quicker here to get in and out of the post office than the bank and it's 5 minutes away and 90% of the time I'm the only person there when I walk in.
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 3:42:57 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 3:44:27 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Nothing specific about USPS that gives you any benefit over any other certified funds.  The USPS more than likely will not cash their own money order anyway, because they are broke.
View Quote

I guess you missed the part where US Postal Inspectors investigate fraud involving USPS MOs, like when you pay for a gun that someone decides not to send after they cash the USPS MO.  And the part where they actually have time to investigate such things and like doing that more than investigating who knocked down someone's mailbox.  

Try getting the FBI to investigate a similar transaction made with a regular check or bank draft or Stop-N-Rob MO.  Let me know how many days it takes them to call you back.

Try getting traction from PayPal or Venmo for a fraudulent transaction of a type that is specifically prohibited by the Terms and Service Agreement that you agreed to when you signed up.

Link Posted: 1/26/2021 3:45:02 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I would have to REALLY REALLY want something to buy from a guy that only accepts money orders

Just makes things too complicated when you can use any of the numerous money transfer apps
View Quote

This.  The post office is a huge pain in the ass..... driving there.... waiting in line....... bleh.........

I hate buying/selling stuff online purely for this reason.  Buying money orders and shipping stuff sucks.
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 3:48:24 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I can deposit money right in your checking account in about 2 minutes. I only need your checking account number and routing number...and no - I can't withdraw money from your account using those numbers.
View Quote

It's really silly how poorly served the domestic wire transfer market in USA is with days of delays between banks or 30,000% markup for Fedwires. In most of the world nobody uses paper instruments of any kind anymore, even regular citizens conduct small scale commerce by wire transfers between their bank accounts.

That's also the reason why almost all of the Internet payment apps and sites are US companies.

In the time of SEPA it typically takes one business day to wire transfer any amount of money from one EU bank to another, in another country as well, and usually it costs nothing for a private account to send or received and something like 15 cents per transaction for commercial accounts. Instant wires between banks cost about $10. And for accounts in the same bank (even if a different country) it's instant for free or the normal fee.

You don't need a spyware app or to submit to 87 pages of terms and you don't have to play with easily forgeable pieces of paper. Just starting your car to drive to the post office in USA costs more than a wire transfer in Europe.

The only reason people use PayPal or credit card to buy here is to protect from the fraud risk. And as they provide no protection to the seller for fraud by the buyer, only those with volumes large enough to eat the occasional consumer fraud will accept them.

Most people selling in eBay equivalent online market places only accept wire transfer to their account before shipping the product or cash and collect. Wire transfers are not reversible, no risk of fraud to the seller. The buyer uses the marketplace feedback and police enforment to mitigate the risk of seller fraud. And it all works rather well.

The only time I've beem scammed either as a seller or a buyer was when selling a bike for cash and delivering it, the cocksucker bet that he could renegotiate a cheaper deal on delivery because I wouldn't be bothered to take the bike back. He won that bet because I was moving and could only have tossed it or given it away someplace else that same day.
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 3:53:12 PM EDT
[#12]
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I won't buy anything from anonymous individuals on the internet.

/media/mediaFiles/sharedAlbum/raw-355.gif

I literally had a non paying bidder on gunbroker get super pissed at me because my ad said Postal MO or cashiers check only, he said he was not going to send some 'anonymous person just cash'!  He wanted an INVOICE via Paypal for the ammo (so both our accounts could get locked apparently)!  Still scratching my head over how a USPS MO and a bank cashier's check is "cash"?!!!  Needless to say, I sold the ammo to somebody that can read and follow instructions.  There's some really crazy people out there.
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 4:04:46 PM EDT
[#13]
This really reminds me of the threads that say EE prices are crazy I'm not paying that.
Don't like the terms or price move along.
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 4:07:09 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

It's really silly how poorly served the domestic wire transfer market in USA is with days of delays between banks or 30,000% markup for Fedwires. In most of the world nobody uses paper instruments of any kind anymore, even regular citizens conduct small scale commerce by wire transfers between their bank accounts.

That's also the reason why almost all of the Internet payment apps and sites are US companies.

In the time of SEPA it typically takes one business day to wire transfer any amount of money from one EU bank to another, in another country as well, and usually it costs nothing for a private account to send or received and something like 15 cents per transaction for commercial accounts. Instant wires between banks cost about $10. And for accounts in the same bank (even if a different country) it's instant for free or the normal fee.

You don't need a spyware app or to submit to 87 pages of terms and you don't have to play with easily forgeable pieces of paper. Just starting your car to drive to the post office in USA costs more than a wire transfer in Europe.

The only reason people use PayPal or credit card to buy here is to protect from the fraud risk. And as they provide no protection to the seller for fraud by the buyer, only those with volumes large enough to eat the occasional consumer fraud will accept them.

Most people selling in eBay equivalent online market places only accept wire transfer to their account before shipping the product or cash and collect. Wire transfers are not reversible, no risk of fraud to the seller. The buyer uses the marketplace feedback and police enforment to mitigate the risk of seller fraud. And it all works rather well.

The only time I've beem scammed either as a seller or a buyer was when selling a bike for cash and delivering it, the cocksucker bet that he could renegotiate a cheaper deal on delivery because I wouldn't be bothered to take the bike back. He won that bet because I was moving and could only have tossed it or given it away someplace else that same day.
View Quote

How do you handle online transactions in Europe for gun parts and ammunition components?
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 4:12:06 PM EDT
[#15]
OP, not everything old is bad. As a seller USPS is an extremely safe payment, and costs you nothing. As a buyer it is simply a PIA to obtain, but you & seller are protected.  Don't confuse it with  bank cashier's checks or Walmart/convenience store money orders. Both can be stolen by workers or be duplicated on a copy machine. Sometimes I insist on a USPS MO in my classified ads. I am NOT running the friggin Home Depot, neither am I hard up for cash. Somebody else will buy it if that's a deal breaker for you.
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 4:13:45 PM EDT
[#16]
Look into the CashApp
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 4:14:41 PM EDT
[#17]
Somebody else will buy it. My stuff my rules.
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 4:16:33 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Yeah but the fraudster takes it up the butt
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Yeah but the fraudster takes it up the butt

Maybe, if they're caught.  I don't disagree with you but it's not as secure as many folks make it out to be, in fact it's as secure as any other option being discussed here.

If there's a financial way, there will be a way to defraud it.

Quoted:

Depends on the party.

k

Quoted:
I prefer to just tell my wife when I spend money on gun shit. Yes I know honesty is hard in one of the most important things in my life.

Holy shit, people.  We were kidding.  I don't need your virtue signaling.
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 4:20:00 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Can't stand Boomers and their USPS MO.

I use the Cash app, Venmo, Paypal, Zelle, Google Pay.

Figure it out Boomer.  I'd rather pay in 3 seconds than standing in line at the PO with the unwashed masses.
View Quote

Lol, In this day and age of hacking and snooping and defunding, I'm glad I never went "electronic" route for paying. I'll stick with MO, has worked for me for over 20 years and some ppl aren't wound that tight they can't be bothered. Is it a hassle? Yes  it can be. But worth it to me and based on my feedback , which includes buying & selling, it seems the other party doesn't mind too bad
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 4:20:45 PM EDT
[#20]
Lol your loss.
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 4:21:40 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Figure it out Boomer.  I'd rather pay in 3 seconds than standing in line at the PO with the unwashed masses.
View Quote

Poors ,  millennials and zoomers usually insist on payment methods where they get the money instantly .  While I enjoy using PayPal because I can also print shipping labels from there easily using the recently deposited funds.  My economic situation doesn't dictate that I need the money right now.
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 4:22:31 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Maybe, if they're caught.  I don't disagree with you but it's not as secure as many folks make it out to be, in fact it's as secure as any other option being discussed here.

If there's a financial way, there will be a way to defraud it.

View Quote

A USPS is as secure as it gets. If a seller knows anything at all and isn't an ignoramus, he knows to read the small print instructions on the MO which explains how to look for water marks and color silk fibers in the MO just like US currency.  If there are no instructions on it what to look for, no water marks, no silk fibers, etc, then only a fool accepts this counterfeit MO.
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 4:24:01 PM EDT
[#23]
USPSMOs suck ass. Never again. 15 days for my last one to arrive.
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 4:24:26 PM EDT
[#24]
USPS clerks look at me like I'm a fuckin alien if I try and cash one of their money orders, always seemed weird to me.
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 4:27:33 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Lol your loss.
View Quote

Link Posted: 1/26/2021 4:27:48 PM EDT
[#26]
The real problem is that USPS hasn't figured out how to let someone with a USPS account transfer money to another person online instead of buying a paper money order.

I've got an USPS account and a CC registered that enables me to buy shipping labels, so why can't I send money?

They could charge a small fee like PP does and make some money. I'd like to see this instituted without any antigun bullshit, and without the "gift" option that only invites fraud.
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 4:31:09 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

I had a couple arfcommers send a USPS MO after I said a personal check was OK.  

USPS rarely has enough money to cover a $40 dollar MO.  They start with an empty drawer in the AM, apparently.  

Luckily the bank will take it and deal with it, but it eliminates the instant cash, and instantly knowing the MO is not counterfeit.

I have to add that the PO worker I dealt with last time was a pure cunt.  He immediately asked were I got the MO and instantly said it was fake.  Fucking cunt was wrong and he knew it, and was just being a fucking cunt. He had to look through three teller drawers to find $40.
View Quote

My credit union has a computer connection to the USPS that they can verify money orders on instantly if they want to, I'm sure yours does as well. The question is do they want to?

I also have a local post office I pass on the way to work every day. They don't open until 9:30, close during lunch for a two hour period, and then open back up until 5:30 I think. I don't get to the office until 10 anyway, so I stop on the way and have never waited more than 5 minutes and usually there is nobody there ahead of me. Money orders are easy peasy. I also show up with a stamped and addressed envelope and fill the money order out and mail it then and there. Not really sure what the big deal is.
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 4:34:50 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
I dont send or accept a MO. I dont have time to go to the PO.  

I have accepted cash though.

Electronic transactions are highly preferred. When I receive funds they are transferred to my bank account immediately.
View Quote

Well some day when the payment is removed from your account just easily don't come bitching here.
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 4:35:18 PM EDT
[#29]
Yuk yuk yes use Zelle and get a box of rocks with no recourse.  Same applies to Venmo and paypal is a no no. So besides cash and usps mo whats left?

Goto  www.glocks.org and buy 10 glock 17s with zelle for $499 each. I guarntee you will never see one and you are f'd.

https://www.zellepay.com/support/im-unsure-about-using-zelle-to-pay-for-goods-or-services-from-someone-i-dont-know

I’m unsure about using Zelle® to pay someone I don’t know. What should I do?

Zelle is a great way to send money to friends, family or others you trust such as your personal trainer, babysitter, or a neighbor. If you don’t know the person, or aren’t sure you will get what you paid for (for example, items bought from an on-line bidding or sales site), we recommend you do not use Zelle for these types of transactions, which are potentially high risk. Zelle does not offer a protection program for any authorized payments made with Zelle - for example, if you make a purchase using Zelle, but you do not receive the item or the item is not as described or as you expected.

https://help.venmo.com/hc/en-us/articles/217532097-Can-I-use-Venmo-to-buy-or-sell-merchandise-goods-or-services-
Can I use Venmo to buy or sell merchandise, goods, or services?
Venmo is designed for payments between friends and people who know and trust one another. There are also several Venmo services for merchants who want to accept payments. However, Venmo should not be used for purchases, unless explicitly authorized by Venmo.

You may use Venmo to pay for goods or services using a Venmo Debit Card at merchants that accept the card, through mobile websites or apps that are approved to offer Venmo as a payment option, or using your in-store QR code at select merchants. Additionally, you may use Venmo to pay for goods and services when directly given the option to do so by Venmo.

Venmo may NOT otherwise be used to receive business, commercial or merchant transactions, meaning you CANNOT use Venmo to accept payment from (or send payment to) another user for a good or service, unless explicitly authorized by Venmo.  

Unless directly given the option by Venmo, DO NOT USE VENMO TO TRANSACT WITH PEOPLE YOU DON’T PERSONALLY KNOW, ESPECIALLY IF THE TRANSACTION INVOLVES THE PURCHASE OR SALE OF A GOOD OR SERVICE (for example, concert tickets, electronic equipment, sneakers, a watch, or other merchandise). These transactions are potentially high risk, are not allowed under Venmo’s User Agreement, and Venmo does not have a protection program for such transactions unless directly offered. So:

If you send a Venmo payment to someone for a good or service, you could lose your money without ever getting what you paid for.
If you accept a Venmo payment from someone for a good or service and we later review the payment, we may reverse the payment, meaning you could lose both the payment and the item sold.  This review process may not occur until after you attempt to transfer the funds out of Venmo.
Thank you for your cooperation!

Can I use Venmo to collect donations for my non-profit or otherwise?

Venmo doesn't currently provide support for user-created donation campaigns or non-profits.

Although Venmo’s peer-to-peer experience cannot be used to solicit or collect charitable contributions, you may be able to work with PayPal or Braintree to integrate Venmo as a checkout option in your organization’s app or website.?You can find more information about accepting Venmo for your business here.
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 4:38:01 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

View Quote

Fair enough Sport, I'd rather sell to my own kind anyway.
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 4:39:51 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

So then what is safe to use then?  I normally send Cashier's Checks from my bank for my GunBroker buys, unless it says CC only.

I am wary of selling things online as there does not seem a consensus of what is the safe way for a seller not to get burned.

@Nathaniel_Hawkins

Did you take any recourse?
View Quote

File a report with the USPS Postal Inspectors.  Never heard from them again.

BTW, I also filed a claim for 10 rolls of stamps I purchased online few years back.  Used to receive the package by either certified/registered mail.  Package that was lost was sent only via delivery confirmation.  USPS Postal Inspectors did not do a damn thing on that either.
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 4:41:13 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
I don't do money orders and I dont do paypal.
View Quote

Feedback checks out
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 4:41:22 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
USPS MO only here. Easy to spot fakes.
View Quote

The one I got had the watermark and the hologram.  Even called the USPS number to verify money orders and it came back good.  4 weeks later, it bounced.
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 4:41:52 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
I'm with OP.
View Quote

Link Posted: 1/26/2021 4:44:01 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

A USPS is as secure as it gets. If a seller knows anything at all and isn't an ignoramus, he knows to read the small print instructions on the MO which explains how to look for water marks and color silk fibers in the MO just like US currency.  If there are no instructions on it what to look for, no water marks, no silk fibers, etc, then only a fool accepts this counterfeit MO.
View Quote

I've been burned by the best of them.  Even verified by the phone number.  There are professional counterfeiters out there.
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 4:46:25 PM EDT
[#36]
I don’t have a preference, open to all,  but it’s an interesting debate. Venmo has no recourse if you get scammed. PayPal goods n service is best all around if you’re not banned and/ getting something that can get you banned. Not 100% why people would risked getting ripped venmo zello or banned via PayPal for 2A goods? Banks can cash in USPS MO. Yes it takes longer to receive but if you’re that hard up for cash do a pawn shop. If the seller only takes USPS MO and you don’t want to, sure you can find it elsewhere too.
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 4:47:11 PM EDT
[#37]
Much easier to just call your bank and have them send a certified check. Takes about 5 min with USAA. Tell them how much, who and where to send it and let them handle it.

But people on here would rather use all these apps where you're one click of a button away from getting fucked over or scammed and maybe they will side with you or maybe they will say get fucked loser and you have no recourse.

Seems like a no brainer to me.
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 4:48:14 PM EDT
[#38]
That's your opinion and your right as a buyer.  I personally am not set up to take credit cards.  I do 99% of my sales by cash, check, or money order.  I do accept Venmo if requested, but other than that I keep things old school.  That's what I'm comfortable with.  You do what's comfortable for you.
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 4:49:25 PM EDT
[#39]
Somebody buy this https://glocks.org/product/glock-g19-g5-9mm-semiautomatic-pistol/ Glock Gen 5 in stock for $599 via zelle or bitcoin and report back in 2 months when you never get it .  This is not the first time on this train. You will get ripped.
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 4:49:51 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
How do you handle online transactions in Europe for gun parts and ammunition components?
View Quote

By not using PayPal. It should be none of the business of the payment processor what the item of commerce is. Just like it's none of the business of the logistics company what the parcels are they are delivering.

National post companies and their anti-gun policies can be an issue. I was involved in a mass lawsuit (not a class action, because the cunt Consumer Ombudsman didn't take it) against the post company here for that and we won. The ban on gun parts was reversed as it was illegal.

If I buy a gun for example from Germany, I get the EU internal import and export permits (which are called pre authorization and transfer permits, even though they are the same permits as import and export) from the relevant authorities, email the permits, wire the money to the German seller and then they send me two packages by DHL with the lower in one parcel and and the upper in the other, so as to comply with only shipping gun parts. Then I put them together and go shoot my new gun.

Everything is perfectly legal and all the documents are electronic without a piece of paper moving anywhere (except a few token copies with the packages one way in case of surprise inspections).
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 4:50:53 PM EDT
[#41]
Will use a USPS money order any day. Bought and sold a lot of good stuff with them. You never have to worry about fraudulent charges after using one.
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 4:53:08 PM EDT
[#42]
OK.
I don't like them as a buyer--they're not convenient.
But they're also not painful. I drive past one or more post offices a couple times a week.

As a seller, though, I understand them:

I have something valuable you want me to send you.
I don't know you?  Then I don't trust you.
Therefore I want paid up front.

If PP, Venmo and other digital options will seize my money if they catch me using their services, then...
You can send me cash in an envelope.  It might get to me.
You can send me a USPS MO.  I trust those, I guess.
You can buy a certified check at your bank.  I think that's OK.
Or, if I can verify your identity, maybe you can send me a personal check and I'll ship after my bank tells me it cleared.

Of those options, the USPS MO is probably the safest (for both us us) and cheapest and/or quickest (for you).

But I understand. If you only want to buy via the most convenient route, I can't blame you.  The address is amazon.com.
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 5:01:35 PM EDT
[#43]
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 5:03:11 PM EDT
[#44]
For the folks that are worried about counterfeit USPS MO, one option is to buy a new MO at the post office with it. You'll be out a buck or two for the new one, but at the least the one you deposit in your bank account should be good to go!
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 5:06:16 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
I only accept Quatloo. It keeps things simple.
View Quote

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 5:17:42 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Lol your loss.
View Quote

Not really, for every boomered up USPS MO ONLY ad there are usually 6 more of the same item that will accept instant electronic payments.
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 5:21:26 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
I only do trades for dry goods and pork bellies.
View Quote

Gas, grass or ass.
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 5:21:27 PM EDT
[#48]
It just seems scamy. Money orders are sort of a questionable product. Either its enough to wire the money or its low enough some type of normal instrument will work. Same from the perspective of the seller. I trust a counter check from a national bank, an instrument you know is good, long before some weird money order that anyone could counterfeit. What real purpose does it have? and why is the post office any better than buying it at 7/11? Either way its a questionable financial product.
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 5:23:54 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
USPS clerks look at me like I'm a fuckin alien if I try and cash one of their money orders, always seemed weird to me.
View Quote
I just stick it in the atm deposit at the bank. Of course I only take MO on another gun forum and have for years and not for $20 shit. The last gun I sold went to the owner of Chrinstensen arms and he sent a MO no problem.
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 5:29:04 PM EDT
[#50]
PayPal and Venmo are both garbage and I won’t accept either of them. CashApp, Zelle, USPS Money Order, Certified Cashiers check.
Page / 6
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top