Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 6
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 12:34:09 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I would have to REALLY REALLY want something to buy from a guy that only accepts money orders

Just makes things too complicated when you can use any of the numerous money transfer apps
View Quote

And give away everything else on your phone via the EULA you casually accept for using such apps and services.
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 12:34:55 PM EDT
[#2]
It's not stupid. It's a pretty simple way to move money from one person to another. I've used them in the past and I'll use them again.
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 12:40:06 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
It's not stupid. It's a pretty simple way to move money from one person to another. I've used them in the past and I'll use them again.
View Quote

Agreed

The only downside is waiting in line at the PO

Link Posted: 1/26/2021 12:40:27 PM EDT
[#4]
MO’s where never a big issue to me.  In fact I preferred paying by MO as the SO can’t see them on the monthly credit card statements!

ETA: Especially if the seller did not specify USPS, then I could just get one at the local gas station while I was getting my morning donut on the way to work.
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 12:41:30 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

I had a couple arfcommers send a USPS MO after I said a personal check was OK.  

USPS rarely has enough money to cover a $40 dollar MO.  They start with an empty drawer in the AM, apparently.  

Luckily the bank will take it and deal with it, but it eliminates the instant cash, and instantly knowing the MO is not counterfeit.

I have to add that the PO worker I dealt with last time was a pure cunt.  He immediately asked were I got the MO and instantly said it was fake.  Fucking cunt was wrong and he knew it, and was just being a fucking cunt. He had to look through three teller drawers to find $40.
View Quote

You can do this through the USPS web site. You track the money order as if you were the one that purchased and sent it. You need the MO SN, amount, and ZIP code from the post office where it was purchased. All of those are on the MO itself. If any of these three don't match, you will get a message that they can't track the MO. If they do match, then you know that the MO was purchased at a post office in the amount shown.
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 12:41:48 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
MO’s where never a big issue to me.  In fact I preferred paying by MO as the SO can’t see them on the monthly credit card statements!
View Quote

lol
this is good advice for the married guys on here.
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 12:44:27 PM EDT
[#7]
I will still use USPS money orders.

Never had a problems with them.
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 12:44:58 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

lol
this is good advice for the married guys on here.
View Quote

Better yet, be the one that handles all the financial items.

Even better, be honest about what you spend because all the bills are being paid and you don't need to hide your purchases.
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 12:50:11 PM EDT
[#9]
Wire transfer, Zelle, Venmo, and even cashapp work.
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 12:50:13 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Better yet, be the one that handles all the financial items.

Even better, be honest about what you spend because all the bills are being paid and you don't need to hide your purchases.
View Quote

I'll bet you're fun at parties.

Have a great day!

Link Posted: 1/26/2021 12:50:49 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I suppose if it was 1985, it would make some sense but it isn't 1985. It must be pot bellied old guys living in the past. Yes I've heard all of the reasoning, it's still  stupid, especially considering the condition of the US Postal Service

View Quote

I bought a lower back in 99 with MO.  The seller was a member here and it was through EE.  I think he was out here visiting his daughter's college or something.  It was fine then, and it should be fine now.  

Plus, I don't think one can scam the USPS with PayPal type scams.  So it's probably safer.

Link Posted: 1/26/2021 12:53:32 PM EDT
[#12]
Money orders are good to go accept no others. Money orders are not for people to lazy to complete a transaction or leave their mom's basement.
No problem getting one or receiving one.
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 12:54:44 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I will still use USPS money orders.

Never had a problems with them.
View Quote

Also never had any problems with USPS money orders.

Isn't it still a problem with fraudsters on joints like PayPal?  Which ones are safe?
https://www.withintheflow.com/ecommerce/how-to-chargeback-on-paypal
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 12:54:53 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I don't do money orders and I dont do paypal.
View Quote

So what do you use?

Venmo is a subsidiary of PayPal.

I do not like money orders per se, as they do not offer the same protection a credit card does.
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 12:58:21 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
View Quote

I use money orders or cashiers checks from my bank...... never had any issues
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 12:58:58 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Also never had any problems with USPS money orders.

Isn't it still a problem with fraudsters on joints like PayPal?  Which ones are safe?
https://www.withintheflow.com/ecommerce/how-to-chargeback-on-paypal
View Quote

There's fraud everywhere, including in USPS money orders.

The feedback system here helps a lot.  Also interacting a bit with the seller/buyer and getting a feel for if they'll try to defraud you.

In the end nothing is secure, not even face to face (could get murdered for it).

Thinking you're saving yourself by limiting yourself to only one option for payment is serious head in the sand thinking.
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 12:59:45 PM EDT
[#17]
@SK63

Your feedback and OP is retarded.
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 1:00:10 PM EDT
[#18]
Not a big deal. Some people get bent over the smallest things.

I buy much more than I sell online.

When I see something online I want. I msg them and ask if a USPMO is okay. I go to a small post office the next burg over first thing in the morning. Never any line. I send the funds then drive home and notify the seller that I've sent the funds, When I receive the item I post that I've received it and feedback. It's worked for me for years. I don't do Paypal but my wife sometimes does it for me and I transfer the money to her account.

I'll admit I'm kinda "online ignorant." Getting better though.
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 1:02:34 PM EDT
[#19]
I'll only do transactions with silver and gold coins.  At least when dealing with important things.  For less critical trades I use other precious commodities and long term storage foods and fuel.  Trade live animals and coffee beans on a straight up barter.
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 1:02:56 PM EDT
[#20]
Only Bitcoin for me- and errything I  sell costs 1 bitchcoin
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 1:03:13 PM EDT
[#21]
It's an instant no from me dawg.

Like I have time in my day to drive to the post office, wait in a big stupid line, deal with the whole process, mail it, wait forever for it to get there, wait for the person to get around to cashing it, if they can even cash it, then mail it, wait forever for it to get here and the item may not even be cool by then.
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 1:03:32 PM EDT
[#22]
I purchased a rifle through the EE on here via USPS money order. Not spending $1600 on PayPal only to have them realize it's for a firearm and lock my account/refuse to help if the buyer went MIA. Transaction went perfectly smooth and the gun works great. Bought another one via USPS money order on Gunbroker through a shop because I was not about to pay 3-5% for credit card fees on an $1100 purchase.

ETA: I will ACCEPT them too, as payment. Part of that is probably because I've been wheeling & dealing online since I was in middle school (first paintball stuff, then firearm stuff once I turned 17-18 and bought a few guns) and back in the early 2000's, USPS MO was the best way to pay for basically anything. When you don't have a checking account (got one when I turned 17), it's kinda hard to do anything with PayPal.

Now I'll take basically any form of payment:

Cash
Debit
Credit
Personal check (shipping after it clears, obviously)
USPS MO
Western Union MO (pain in my ass)
Walmart MO
PayPal
Venmo
ApplePay
CashApp
Tiddy pics
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 1:04:04 PM EDT
[#23]
I wont sell to anyone without a bank/USPS money order.

Plenty of scumbags on this forum that buy items online and then do a charge back. They keeps the cash and the item.
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 1:05:14 PM EDT
[#24]
Note to self: If the OP ever wants to buy something from me in the EE, that the only form of payment is USPO MO
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 1:08:20 PM EDT
[#25]
Blues Brothers - Sell me your children
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 1:10:49 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
View Quote

You don't "do" them, but do you accept them?????
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 1:10:58 PM EDT
[#27]
The deal with USPS money orders is that if they are forged. it's a Federal level felony crime .
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 1:12:10 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Nothing specific about USPS that gives you any benefit over any other certified funds.  The USPS more than likely will not cash their own money order anyway, because they are broke.
View Quote

That's why I deposit them at the bank.

The 1000 dollar limit is irritating though.
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 1:12:18 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
The deal with USPS money orders is that if they are forged. it's a Federal level felony crime .
View Quote

You're still out the money and/or item.
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 1:13:36 PM EDT
[#30]
I have a pile of M855 and pmags.  Are you guys telling me that if I put them up for sale for $30 per 100 rds, and $10 per 30 rd pmag, but said I would only accept USPS MO, you wouldn't do it??????
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 1:14:02 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
I won't buy anything from anonymous individuals on the internet.
View Quote

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 1:14:14 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
I have a pile of M855 and pmags.  Are you guys telling me that if I put them up for sale for $30 per 100 rds, and $10 per 30 rd pmag, but said I would only accept USPS MO, you wouldn't do it??????
View Quote

I wouldn't, but then I'm set for ammunition and have the one Pmag that I'm going to register.
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 1:14:54 PM EDT
[#33]
“Sorry sir, you’re gonna have to go to another branch. We only have $40 in cash on hand today”. That’s what I was told when trying to cash my last USPS MO at the post office. I just cash them at the bank now.
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 1:14:55 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
How else do you send cash long distance without a huge fee?

View Quote

It's right there in your post.  Drop the cash in the mail.
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 1:15:08 PM EDT
[#35]
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I won't buy anything from anonymous individuals on the internet.

/media/mediaFiles/sharedAlbum/raw-355.gif

I mean.

At least his EE rating supports that he is telling the truth.

Link Posted: 1/26/2021 1:15:57 PM EDT
[#36]
Yeah, no way too weird.
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 1:16:18 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
I'm with OP.
View Quote

Link Posted: 1/26/2021 1:17:00 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
View Quote

Seems you don’t do EE either
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 1:18:04 PM EDT
[#39]
Zelle has the same fraud protection as Paypal.
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 1:18:08 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
View Quote

Nope by the time the whole lame process finally gets done the ammo won't be fresh anymore.
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 1:18:47 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

You can do this through the USPS web site. You track the money order as if you were the one that purchased and sent it. You need the MO SN, amount, and ZIP code from the post office where it was purchased. All of those are on the MO itself. If any of these three don't match, you will get a message that they can't track the MO. If they do match, then you know that the MO was purchased at a post office in the amount shown.
View Quote
That is handy.  I do not like dealing with disgruntled postal workers.  
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 1:21:15 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Money orders are good to go accept no others. Money orders are not for people to lazy to complete a transaction or leave their mom's basement.
No problem getting one or receiving one.
View Quote
It is handy having a PO a couple blocks from my work, but some folks are not so close and I understand how it can be a hassle for a lot of people.

Feedback is a thing.  Having good feedback opens up options.

And fuck Paypal.
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 1:21:26 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
I suppose if it was 1985, it would make some sense but it isn't 1985. It must be pot bellied old guys living in the past. Yes I've heard all of the reasoning, it's still  stupid, especially considering the condition of the US Postal Service

View Quote

Link Posted: 1/26/2021 1:22:56 PM EDT
[#44]
I cash the MO the same day I ship the package.

I paid for ammo with a MO, mailed it Monday and it's on the delivery truck today.

If I mail a MO I do two day delivery to make up for the inconvenience of not using PayPal.

Link Posted: 1/26/2021 1:23:17 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
I can deposit money right in your checking account in about 2 minutes. I only need your checking account number and routing number...and no - I can't withdraw money from your account using those numbers.
Hell, I can send you a demand item on your phone or via email...and all you have to do is deposit it.
View Quote

How?
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 1:26:49 PM EDT
[#46]
I take many forms of payment, and USPS MO is one of them.  Money gram/wal mart MO and PayPal are not.

I also make sure that people know the form of payment I accept, and it's clearly listed in the posting.  It's worked more than a few times.
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 1:27:01 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
I do both depending on where I have money ,  if you really want what the seller has then you will pay the way they want to accept the funds. Honestly for all those privacy concerned sorts the USPS MO  is more private than shuttling money in and out Zelle , Apple Pay, Google Pay,  Paypal and that fucking Hipster Venmo .

View Quote

This. If you don’t like it move on.
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 1:28:18 PM EDT
[#48]
same. have bailed out of a couple of deals because it's not worth the effort to go get a MO.
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 1:29:39 PM EDT
[#49]
I ACCEPT BITCOIN.
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 1:30:20 PM EDT
[#50]
I only accept American Express Travelers Cheques
Page / 6
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top