Page / 6
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 11:57:02 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Does it have TN plates?
View Quote

cmw-1489

I could not tell if they were GA or TN. I grabbed the tag # on my way out at 0500 this morning.

Truck is back again tonight and driver is still in it.

Ive had the floodlights on him all night last night and again tonight... yet he stays put.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 11:59:12 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

cmw-1489

I could not tell if they were GA or TN. I grabbed the tag # on my way out at 0500 this morning.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/7187/20210126_225340_jpg-1798607.JPG
View Quote

That’s super odd. I’d go figure out what the fuck was up.
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 12:00:55 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

Are you sure? Most states put the responsibility on the landowner for fencing and posting property.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That, private land you have permission to be on, or public land.

But the responsibility to know who's property you are on, regardless of postings, lies with the person riding around. It's not the landowner's job.

Are you sure? Most states put the responsibility on the landowner for fencing and posting property.

Regardless of legality, you don't think it's the responsibility of the person riding around (or hunting, camping, whatever) to know where they are?

By responsibility, I don't mean legal responsibility. I mean general responsibility as sportsman participating in outdoor activities.

My property is fenced and posted, so I'm covered there.

Is your front yard fenced and posted? If not, guess I'm good to go mudding in it, right?
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 12:01:02 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

cmw-1489

Just call the cops for suspicious vehicle and leave it up to them. No point t in being shot or sued or other drama.
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 12:02:30 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

That's super odd. I'd go figure out what the fuck was up.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

cmw-1489

That's super odd. I'd go figure out what the fuck was up.
yeah, no way Id let someone sleep in their vehicle at the end of my driveway for days on end, too many children around here.

If the deputies wont check on him walk out and introduce yourself.
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 12:04:08 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Just call the cops for suspicious vehicle and leave it up to them. No point t in being shot or sued or other drama.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

cmw-1489

Already did at 10pm. They just drove by and left. Never got out or looked in the truck.
The side windows are tinted super dark... so its difficult to see inside.
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 12:09:04 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
yeah, no way Id let someone sleep in their vehicle at the end of my driveway for days on end, too many children around here.

If the deputies wont check on him walk out and introduce yourself.
View Quote

Ive considered that... but not sure my level of heart disease would tolerate a big adrenaline dump. Already have one stent and one blocked artery. Ill let the cops handle it.
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 12:13:29 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Regardless of legality, you don't think it's the responsibility of the person riding around (or hunting, camping, whatever) to know where they are?

By responsibility, I don't mean legal responsibility. I mean general responsibility as sportsman participating in outdoor activities.

Is your front yard fenced and posted? If not, guess I'm good to go mudding in it, right?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

That, private land you have permission to be on, or public land.

But the responsibility to know who's property you are on, regardless of postings, lies with the person riding around. It's not the landowner's job.

On open range? Not at all. If there was a problem, it would have been fenced.

I would never conflate that with built up urban areas. That’s just silly.
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 12:23:01 AM EDT
[#9]
Wow, first I’ve heard about this and reelfoot isn’t maybe 25-30 min from me.
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 12:24:04 AM EDT
[#10]
Sad story. I have a bunch of family up there. The duck hunting is shitty this year anyway. I don't believe I'd commit a double homicide over a duck. Hopefully they find the guy. He probably went off some back road near the river and offed himself.
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 12:25:24 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I hunt a little (not very successfully LOL). I didn't start hunting until I was in my 30s. One of the things that turned my off of it for a long time was how otherwise normal, level-headed, upstanding members of society would turn into irrational raging assholes once their preferred hunting season started.
View Quote

Do you hunt in the Baldwin or Luther areas?

@Gunner226
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 12:27:19 AM EDT
[#12]
This incident is all the talk on The Refuge Forum (waterfowl hunting forum). Lots of speculation as to what went down. 2 young men killed, one witness survived, and the suspect is still at large.
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 12:40:22 AM EDT
[#13]
Local Sheriff just checked out the suspicious (dark gray) Dodge in front of my place.
Im guessing it was someone living in their vehicle.
He ran the tags and ID and sent him on his way.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 12:50:23 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Local Sheriff just checked out the suspicious (dark gray) Dodge in front of my place.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/7187/20210126_233629_jpg-1798676.JPG

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/7187/20210126_234327_jpg-1798696.JPG
View Quote

Not going to lie, the first pic you posted a couple posts up, I though the bus was a house with Christmas lights still on. Was going to say who the hell has their lights still up and on till I saw the last pics you posted.
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 12:54:50 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Be a hell of a thing for Xi Jingping or Jack Ma to buy Yosemite or Sequoia or the Grand Canyon and then wall it off.
View Quote

I hope it happens.

Maybe then the liberals would realize Beijing needs to be a parking lot.
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 12:58:20 AM EDT
[#16]
Call the law!

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 2:02:20 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
A brief background here.  While it doesn't have much to do with Vowell's actions (he's not a Lake County native), it does provide some background on the other junk that goes on.

https://www.tnmagazine.org/reelfoot-lake-dark-history-night-riders/
View Quote

Wow, that's some crazy stuff.  Thanks for sharing. i hope they catch that crazy dude or that he offs himself. Sorry for your friend.
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 3:35:11 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
View Quote

With this current crisis, theres a big uptick in people living in their cars.

We live adjacent to a large straightaway near an aqueduct. Frequently we'd have a few 18 wheelers parked there to sleep the night before driving off; last 4-5 months now its typical to see 3-4 people living in their cars park there come evening time.

The ones in our area seem to have devised some sort of 'hanky code' I guess to identify themselves as car hobos; most have a towel wadded into the upper part of drivers side window when parked (like they roll up their window with the towel wedged in the last 1/2" of travel.)

Link Posted: 1/27/2021 4:05:03 AM EDT
[#19]

Was he supposed to unload a mag at them instead
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 10:18:54 AM EDT
[#20]
@rob78.  Was it upper blue basin? Maybe up by walnut log or the old air park inn. Not much on the news here about it, too much regular crime in Memphis is getting the coverage.
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 10:29:14 AM EDT
[#21]
Tennessee Bureau of Investigation update says arrest warrants have been filed for the arrest of David Vowell on two counts of First Degree Murder. Looks like this is definitely a case of FUDDrage.
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 11:11:13 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
@rob78.  Was it upper blue basin? Maybe up by walnut log or the old air park inn. Not much on the news here about it, too much regular crime in Memphis is getting the coverage.
View Quote
Walnut Log area.

They found Vowell's boat and truck at the Lake.  Haven't heard anything else.  It's gone quiet.

A fella who was friends with the guide isn't saying much anymore.  I figure the TBI's asked him and others to keep information to themselves until they can get a handle on this.
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 11:13:21 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Tennessee Bureau of Investigation update says arrest warrants have been filed for the arrest of David Vowell on two counts of First Degree Murder. Looks like this is definitely a case of FUDDrage.
View Quote
Yeah.  He was either waiting for them in their blind (What I heard first) or he walked in the door with shotgun at the ready and opened fire (What I heard second).

Locals are saying he said the boys were "shooting his ducks".
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 11:16:32 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Yeah.  He was either waiting for them in their blind (What I heard first) or he walked in the door with shotgun at the ready and opened fire (What I heard second).  

Locals are saying he said the boys were "shooting his ducks".
View Quote

Was this a case where everyone in a family applies for a blind and if one of them gets drew, it's theirs for the season, and the kids were hunting it because it was unoccupied that day, and the old guy got mad?
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 11:34:55 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Was this a case where everyone in a family applies for a blind and if one of them gets drew, it's theirs for the season, and the kids were hunting it because it was unoccupied that day, and the old guy got mad?
View Quote
There are privately owned blinds, but the best spots seem to be under TWRA purview/lottery draws.

I can only surmise that Vowell had a blind nearby and felt like the kids were shooting his ducks.  That happens rather frequently out there.  There's only 2 people alive who know what happened; the guide and Vowell.

Based on what I've heard from former hunting partners of Vowell's, in the last couple of years he had become increasingly unhinged about "his" hunting spots and others who were duck hunting in the same area.

Fact of the matter is, no matter the scenario, killing two people because they were calling your ducks in or shooting ducks you called in...is completely batshit insane.  He was on public land.  Anybody that hunts public land knows you have to deal with the public.  There's no shortage of places to duck hunt in NWTN.  Hell, this morning around 6am I could hear duck hunters just east of me shooting.
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 11:35:50 AM EDT
[#26]
I'm now seeing that both his boat and truck were found at the ramp. Considering the area and the fact that no other vehicle description has been released, I'd say he's most likely dead.
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 11:48:08 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

There are privately owned blinds, but the best spots seem to be under TWRA purview/lottery draws.  

I can only surmise that Vowell had a blind nearby and felt like the kids were shooting his ducks.  That happens rather frequently out there.  There's only 2 people alive who know what happened; the guide and Vowell.  

Based on what I've heard from former hunting partners of Vowell's, in the last couple of years he had become increasingly unhinged about "his" hunting spots and others who were duck hunting in the same area.

Fact of the matter is, no matter the scenario, killing two people because they were calling your ducks in or shooting ducks you called in...is completely batshit insane.  He was on public land.  Anybody that hunts public land knows you have to deal with the public.  There's no shortage of places to duck hunt in NWTN.  Hell, this morning around 6am I could hear duck hunters just east of me shooting.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yes.  Even if this was the "you show up to hunt and some asshole grabbed your stand" scenario the answer is definitely not to start shooting.  However, all signs point to this being even more batshit insanity from old FUDD.
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 11:53:50 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Yes. And as I understand it a lot of people are still bitter and possessive of blind spots that used to be private, or that sometimes interfere with the nearby private blinds. Many years ago I got to hear a local explain the blind system to me, and you could catch a ton of WTF in their explanation. LIke, his views made no sense to me as an outsider, because I didn't grasp the history of the place and past ownership.

Fact of the matter is, no matter the scenario, killing two people because they were calling your ducks in or shooting ducks you called in...is completely batshit insane.

Oh, I absolutely agree with that. I'm just trying to put together a picture of what the heck he was thinking.
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 11:59:01 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Be a hell of a thing for Xi Jingping or Jack Ma to buy Yosemite or Sequoia or the Grand Canyon and then wall it off.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
The solution, as any sane person knows, is private property. Public property ought to be a misnomer.

Fuck that.

I now own Yellowstone.

Do you think they WON'T own it when they call the note on all those Treasury Bills?
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 12:00:19 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

Wait, wait, you're expecting me to believe that people whose only physics education came from crime dramas are now on FB spouting BS?

Well, ok, I believe you.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
What an interesting read. The Facebook comments were all over the map. I did enjoy the ones where people say they tracked the old man down because of ballistics.

And when people call them out on the Ridiculousness of ballistics with a smooth bore shotgun they claimef all guns have ballistics.

Wait, wait, you're expecting me to believe that people whose only physics education came from crime dramas are now on FB spouting BS?

Well, ok, I believe you.

If he left an ejected shell, they can match breach face, firing pin, and extractor marks.
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 12:05:23 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

Yes. And as I understand it a lot of people are still bitter and possessive of blind spots that used to be private, or that sometimes interfere with the nearby private blinds. Many years ago I got to hear a local explain the blind system to me, and you could catch a ton of WTF in their explanation. LIke, his views made no sense to me as an outsider, because I didn't grasp the history of the place and past ownership.

Oh, I absolutely agree with that. I'm just trying to put together a picture of what the heck he was thinking.
View Quote
No joke, there are lottery blinds that grown men are afraid to claim.  The blind "owners" show up to the draw to intimidate those that may claim "their" blind.  It'd be a damn comedy show if they didn't take it so serious...hell, they've blown blinds up, lit them on fire, all kinds of crazy shit.
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 12:56:24 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

Do you think they WON'T own it when they call the note on all those Treasury Bills?
View Quote

What, $1.3T? Not enough for them to have real power.
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 2:26:48 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
They'll probably end up finding out gramps has some undiagnosed dementia, if he doesn't off himself, first.
View Quote

First thought.
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 2:34:33 PM EDT
[#34]
From what I've heard from family in that area is that he thought they shot local ducks that he adopted as pets in his head.
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 2:40:20 PM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 2:48:36 PM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 2:50:07 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

Wow, that's some crazy stuff.  Thanks for sharing. i hope they catch that crazy dude or that he offs himself. Sorry for your friend.
View Quote

Indeed, real hillbilly life right there. Good read. Cool part of the country too, I drive through it whenever possible.

RIP for the victims.
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 2:51:19 PM EDT
[#38]
The part about Crabtree taking his gun away seems a little strange.
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 2:54:10 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
View Quote

He probably used his duck gun, which is going to hold either 2 or 3 rounds. Seems reasonable enough that the third guy could have overpowered him during a reload.

What seems strange is that the third hunter (Crabtree?) didn't just shoot him back.

Link Posted: 1/27/2021 2:55:13 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
View Quote

If it started as a face to face argument, and then Vowell opened fire with a duck shotgun I could see in the activity one person being able to grab the barrel and pull it away from him.
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 2:56:07 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

He probably used his duck gun, which is going to hold either 2 or 3 rounds. Seems reasonable enough that the third guy could have overpowered him during a reload.

What seems strange is that the third hunter (Crabtree?) didn't just shoot him back.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Good point.  A waterfowl gun could be blocked to limit magazine capacity.
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 2:56:30 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

View Quote

Exactly. If I'm with two guys and somebody shoots both of them, I don't think I'm content just taking the gun away from the shooter and letting him disappear.
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 2:57:28 PM EDT
[#43]
Search on the lake called off for now:

Search halted for double murder suspect at Reelfoot Lake

Crews have been searching for Vowell for two days now. Thomas says recent rain has caused the water on Reelfoot Lake to rise. He says crews believe Vowell is no longer in the water. They believe Vowell either died from exposure or was helped from the water.
View Quote
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 2:58:56 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

Exactly. If I'm with two guys and somebody shoots both of them, I don't think I'm content just taking the gun away from the shooter and letting him disappear.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You got two friends bleeding out in front of you.  Do you take the time to exact revenge on an unarmed guy or do you load them in a boat to get them medical help as soon as you can?

None of us knows what we'd exactly do in that situation.  I think the guide did the right thing.
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 3:03:22 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

You got two friends bleeding out in front of you.  Do you take the time to exact revenge on an unarmed guy or do you load them in a boat to get them medical help as soon as you can?

None of us knows what we'd exactly do in that situation.  I think the guide did the right thing.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yeah, I'm thinking the shooting happened very fast and Vowell ran out of rounds before he could shoot the third member of the party.  The two boats are side by side, Vowell opens fire, bang-bang-bang, two victims are down.  Then Crabtree grabs the shotgun from Vowell, and heads for shore as fast as possible.  

It almost sounds like Vowell may have ended up in the water, perhaps in a struggle for the shotgun.  If so, maybe he's already dead.  
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 3:08:32 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

It almost sounds like Vowell may have ended up in the water, perhaps in a struggle for the shotgun.  If so, maybe he's already dead.  
View Quote

With a bit of hindsight now, looking back at the news released so far, it almost looks like they never said his boat was found at the ramp with his truck and trailer. If his boat was found bobbing mid-lake, he may well have fell out. Or could have had help escaping, from a buddy.

Several possibilities that weren't obvious from the first details released, and I'm sure those missing details were kept close on purpose.

Link Posted: 1/27/2021 3:10:22 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

So its like duck hunting and the purge combined. Where do I sign up
View Quote

you already did commie.
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 3:15:17 PM EDT
[#48]
This one is an unfortunate accident it sounds like, but another death in a duck blind.

https://m.thecoastlandtimes.com/2021/01/25/hyde-county-man-fatally-shot-while-duck-hunting-monday-afternoon/
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 3:15:53 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
View Quote
Do 'gators range that far north?

If not, he'll float.

ETA: Be interesting if they were extending their range.

Thanks to those who responded.
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 3:20:54 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

If not, he'll float.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

If not, he'll float.

I’ve not heard of any at Reelfoot but there have been several confirmed just north of Memphis in the past few years and 2 near Kentucky Lake in the last year.
Page / 6
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top