Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 3
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 10:12:43 AM EDT
[#1]
The last vignette was deep.  Lots of very good symbolism and plot development throughout.  I really enjoyed it.
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 10:16:58 AM EDT
[#2]
Made it 10 minutes. May have to try to watch it again.
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 10:21:20 AM EDT
[#3]
The Ballad Of Buster Scruggs Soundtrack - "The Unfortunate Lad" - Brendan Gleeson
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 10:24:06 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I liked it.
View Quote
It's different at least. I liked it as well.
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 10:25:20 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
The Buster Scruggs short was the only part worth watching.  They get progressively worse.
View Quote

This
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 10:29:12 AM EDT
[#6]
I loved it.
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 10:29:16 AM EDT
[#7]
I liked it, but then I wasn't expecting a cinematic master piece.
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 10:29:41 AM EDT
[#8]
Strange movie.
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 10:43:38 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I thought it was great, even if the segments didn't balance well.
View Quote
This.
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 10:44:53 AM EDT
[#10]
Just as interesting vignettes, with pithy dialogue and cool visuals, it's worth watching.

But, you have to know that's all it is. Ain't a ton of story there. It's all subtext and meditation on death.
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 10:54:55 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I thought the short about the prospector was pretty good. All about how the world moves on and our petty squabbles don't mean shit in the grand scheme.
View Quote

I was blown away when I realized that was Tom Waits
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 10:58:34 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I liked it.
View Quote

I found it very entertaining
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 11:00:30 AM EDT
[#13]
Could have done without the Liam Neeson one.
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 11:07:34 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
You have it backwards. Its the people that have the ability to watch movies that require critical thinking skills that liked it.

Half of GD just went in watching it expecting it to be Tombstone or some blast 'em up shit probably not seeing it was a Coen Brothers movie.
View Quote

I haven't watched it yet. I've been waiting and waiting for it to come on one of the movie channels. I freaking love all the stuff the Coen Brothers put out. I can't wait to see this one.
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 11:09:05 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

I haven't watched it yet. I've been waiting and waiting for it to come on one of the movie channels. I freaking love all the stuff the Coen Brothers put out. I can't wait to see this one.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
You have it backwards. Its the people that have the ability to watch movies that require critical thinking skills that liked it.

Half of GD just went in watching it expecting it to be Tombstone or some blast 'em up shit probably not seeing it was a Coen Brothers movie.

Not sure if that will happen. It was distributed by Netflix so it may be exclusive.
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 11:13:42 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Anybody see this one. The Coen brothers take on the old west.
View Quote

No, it is the Coen brothers take on death, with the old west as a framing device.
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 11:15:11 AM EDT
[#17]
That man just traded that other man for a chicken.....

But yeah i liked it.
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 11:15:58 AM EDT
[#18]
The Ballad of Lefty Brown was a much better movie.
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 11:17:53 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
View Quote

I turned that one off after about 20 minutes or so.  Lonestar just wasn't cutting it for me.  He seemed like a bad rip off of the sheriff's right hand man from Bone Tomahawk.  

That being said I might give it another try.
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 11:21:38 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
I made it through the first 3 of the shorts in the film because I had read it was supposed to be worth watching.  I disagree with that assessment.
View Quote

This.
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 11:21:52 AM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 11:24:00 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Pretty much every one was bleak and depressing.  The very last one was just some people riding a stagecoach talking.  I have no idea what the conversation was even about then ended abruptly when they arrived at a hotel.  When the closing credits came up I was like “WTF did I just waste my time on?”
View Quote

Everyone in the stagecoach is dead.  They just don't realize it yet.  It's kind of an "Occurance At Owl Creek Bridge" story.
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 11:25:38 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Not sure if that will happen. It was distributed by Netflix so it may be exclusive.
View Quote

Damn, that's kinda what i was thinking but still hoping for it to come out. There any way to buy it on DVD or something?
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 11:25:44 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
The two underlying plot was that the two undertakers were death and that the other passengers were dead but didn't know it yet.

The hotel was heaven or hell.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Pretty much every one was bleak and depressing.  The very last one was just some people riding a stagecoach talking.  I have no idea what the conversation was even about then ended abruptly when they arrived at a hotel.  When the closing credits came up I was like "WTF did I just waste my time on?"
The two underlying plot was that the two undertakers were death and that the other passengers were dead but didn't know it yet.

The hotel was heaven or hell.

Or possibly Purgatory, or Limbo.
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 11:26:32 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

I turned that one off after about 20 minutes or so.  Lonestar just wasn't cutting it for me.  He seemed like a bad rip off of the sheriff's right hand man from Bone Tomahawk.  

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

great movie, pullman did good

imagine hoppy getting plugged and gabby has to bring the bandits to justice

the dog short in scruggs is the best episode Karen of the east has a migrant more terrified than the actual threats present
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 11:27:20 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
I had read it was supposed to be worth watching.  I disagree with that assessment.
View Quote

This
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 11:30:22 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

Didn’t hit nothin important
View Quote

nothin but guts!
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 11:32:48 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
I made it through the first 3 of the shorts in the film because I had read it was supposed to be worth watching.  I disagree with that assessment.
View Quote

You made it further than I did.  I turned it off part way through the third part.
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 11:35:14 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

great movie, pullman did good

imagine hoppy getting plugged and gabby has to bring the bandits to justice

the dog short in scruggs is the best episode Karen of the east has a migrant more terrified than the actual threats present
View Quote

Yeah that's why I said I was gonna try again.  The group I was with were not getting in to it.  I could take it or leave it at that point.  Could definitely see it getting better/picking up.
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 11:35:22 AM EDT
[#30]
Movie is shit and a total waste of time.
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 11:38:07 AM EDT
[#31]
I really enjoyed it. Only ‘happy’ ending was the Prospector. Reminded me of a book of western shirt stories I dread as a young man, wish I could remember the author. Not a happy ending to be found.
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 11:39:42 AM EDT
[#32]
Pan shot!

It was a fun movie.
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 11:40:41 AM EDT
[#33]
Extremely entertaining.
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 11:41:16 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
The whole thing was iffy to ok, but the prospector Tom Waits was awesome.
View Quote

I didn't care for Meal Ticket or The Mortal Remains, but I liked the rest of the stories, and really liked Tom Waits and All Gold Canyon.

Jay
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 11:41:29 AM EDT
[#35]
PANSHOT
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 11:41:45 AM EDT
[#36]
Easy to find the mouth-breathers in this thread...

"Buster Scruggs was slow and dumb. Pacific Rim, now that was the best movie of all time!"
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 11:43:56 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Pretty much every one was bleak and depressing.  The very last one was just some people riding a stagecoach talking.  I have no idea what the conversation was even about then ended abruptly when they arrived at a hotel.  When the closing credits came up I was like “WTF did I just waste my time on?”
View Quote

Yeah you completely missed the point of the stagecoach one.
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 11:49:46 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Could have done without the Liam Neeson one.
View Quote

Yep, most people who like the movie agree that was the weakest vignette.
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 11:54:58 AM EDT
[#39]
How high can a bird count anyway?
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 11:55:59 AM EDT
[#40]
That pan-covered son of a bitch back at the bank don't hardly fight fair, in my opinion. Is undoubtedly one of the funniest lines ever uttered on screen with or without context I believe.
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 11:56:01 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/70716/Pots_and_pan_man_jpg-1797457.JPG
View Quote
That pan-covered son of a bitch back at the bank don't hardly fight fair, in my opinion.
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 11:56:27 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
That pan-covered son of a bitch back at the bank don't hardly fight fair, in my opinion. Is undoubtedly one of the funniest lines ever uttered on screen with or without context I believe.
View Quote
Gawddammitttt...
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 11:58:30 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

I didn't care for Meal Ticket or The Mortal Remains, but I liked the rest of the stories, and really liked Tom Waits and All Gold Canyon.

Jay
View Quote

I think that Mortal Remains (the stagecoach one for those who don't remember the titles of the vignettes) was the weakest one.  If I were to go back and re-arrange/edit, I dont think i would have had that one last.
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 12:00:01 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

No, it is the Coen brothers take on death, with the old west as a framing device.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Anybody see this one. The Coen brothers take on the old west.

Yes, I think you're probably right.
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 12:00:25 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Gawddammitttt...
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Gawddammitttt...

Link Posted: 1/26/2021 12:01:10 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

View Quote

Which also explains the "best movie scene" thread yesterday. Half or more of the entries didn't involve much - if any - acting.
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 12:01:13 PM EDT
[#47]
I liked the one with the gold miner.
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 12:03:07 PM EDT
[#48]
I watched it and it was entertaining enough. Would watch again sometime in the future.
Not you normal western and yeah it's the Cohen brothers so don't expect it to be.
Panshot
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 12:21:10 PM EDT
[#49]
That was an amazing movie.
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 12:40:16 PM EDT
[#50]
Good Lord I did not realize just how shallow and dull people are. Each short is a story unto itself and also ties the others in as well.

It is a collection of life experiences each beginning with life and ending with a death, showing death is often brutal. The last story starts with death and the beginning of a different life of infinity.
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top