Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 5
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 10:21:20 AM EDT
[#1]
I got rear ended a year or so ago and I had a pistol in the consol.  When asked for a drivers license I handed DL and CCW. Guy never said a word about it.  

8nBAIT
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 10:22:12 AM EDT
[#2]
I just wear my concealed carry sash and keep my concealed carry badge hanging from my rearview mirror along with mask.
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 10:22:14 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
My state requires notification at first opportunity. Usually, they don't care, but sometimes they do. There has been three times in the past I was pulled out of my car, disarmed, and then put in the patrol car, one was OHP, one was OKCSO and one was a bull dyke Mayes county deputy.
View Quote
No requirement for Oklahoma (If you are in OK)

As of November 1, 2019, you have no duty to reveal that you are carrying a concealed weapon unless the officer asks.
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 10:22:54 AM EDT
[#4]
Nope.
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 10:23:47 AM EDT
[#5]
Personally?  Versus have someone else do it?
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 10:25:14 AM EDT
[#6]
Unless something has changed, KY is not a duty to inform state, but when they run your license it will pop up with your CCW information. If I were traveling out of state, and didn’t know the local laws, I think I would inform just to be on the safe side.  From my talking with local LE, since you have a CCW you are getting a ticket wether you inform or not.  I have been told that the “unofficial” direction by their superiors are to give tickets, no warnings, to CCW.  True or not ... have no idea.
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 10:26:46 AM EDT
[#7]
Unfortnately yes,, Required here. They already know.

I prefer to have it pulled and be spinning it on my finger as they approach while making fanning motions while saying howdie partner,, and reach for the sky black bart. Really puts them at ease and many cops like westerns so its a conversation starter too. Many times they'll even forget the initial civil infraction.
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 10:28:01 AM EDT
[#8]
Maine here.

If we have our CCL we do not need to declare.

We are not required to have a CCL here in state to CC a pistol.

If you do not have CCL, you must declare when you are pulled over.

Bev
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 10:43:09 AM EDT
[#9]
The one time I was pulled over while carrying I had my DL and CCP in my hand hanging out the window as he approached.

I knew my permit was good in that state but didn't know about duty to inform so better safe than sorry.

Didn't some dude get hemmed up awhile back because he didn't inform but wasn't carrying and the officer still insisted he had to inform?
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 10:45:17 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
If LE asks for "ID" then we must inform....
View Quote

Similar, yep
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 10:46:23 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
View Quote

And that
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 10:47:20 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Honest and friendly has always got me out of tickets or big brakes given.

License and CCW permit in hand, window down, hands on the wheel, before they come up. Hand them license and CCW permit.
If registration is asked for, which has only been one time. "It is in my glove compartment, may I retrieve it?" Extending that open acknowledgment of knowing their fear of someone reaching for something seems to calm even a pissed officer down.
Had a cop pissed as hell I was doing 73 in a 50.
I did the above and responded "not paying attention, no excuse" when he asked why I was going to fast.
He calmed way down, checked me for warrants and sent me on my way with a verbal "keep the speed down".

I have no doubt if I had even slightly been an asshole I would have had a big ticket.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I did last year at the peak of the cop hate and uncertainty before the election.

I was doing 76 in a 45 and knew he clocked me. I was pulled over in a parking lot before he even got out into traffic and behind me. Lol. I know I was wrong and ain't gonna bullshit him. In our initial conversation I told him I was speeding in a 55 and I knew it.

He said it was a 45 zone.....

I honestly did think it was a 55, but joked and told him if I had known it was a 45 he would have clocked me at 66 instead, still guilty. He chuckled a tiny bit.

I hand over my carry permit with my license. Its no big deal when the encounter between us is triggered by my wrongdoing. He said he appreciated it and wrote me a ticket for 50 in a 45, no points on my record and $160.....

It always gets me out of ticket trouble. Three times in the last 11 years.

I figure they know anyways as they run your plate when first pulled over.

Now if I'm just doing other stuff or they approach me at an event then no. If it gets far enough for a cop to need to know I'm armed then SHTF.

Also, I had just started dating a tall hot brunette that had a super high sex drive, long legs and she called me over to her house horny as fuck that evening so don't flame me 76 in the 45.....it was worth it!!!!!

Honest and friendly has always got me out of tickets or big brakes given.

License and CCW permit in hand, window down, hands on the wheel, before they come up. Hand them license and CCW permit.
If registration is asked for, which has only been one time. "It is in my glove compartment, may I retrieve it?" Extending that open acknowledgment of knowing their fear of someone reaching for something seems to calm even a pissed officer down.
Had a cop pissed as hell I was doing 73 in a 50.
I did the above and responded "not paying attention, no excuse" when he asked why I was going to fast.
He calmed way down, checked me for warrants and sent me on my way with a verbal "keep the speed down".

I have no doubt if I had even slightly been an asshole I would have had a big ticket.

Nice. It usually works out well like that. I suspect it is pretty rare to come across an honest person who doesn't actually have warrants, criminal record, bad driving record, is not rude, etc. Cops are probably shocked when they come in to contact with an actual normal human. lol. I also suspect most weekend and night traffic pulls are fishing for DUI's, which again is probably not hard for them to catch one.

Another poster calls it "bending the knee."

The laws are already in place. The time to fight them is not when I was wrong and am at a traffic stop. Not arguing with the cop and letting him know I mean no harm is not bending the knee. They deal with shit bags all day, no need to make everyone's day worse on the side of the road because of me speeding.

Again, it is situational, if a cop is clearly out of line or bullshitting me I will not comply and push back. I have refused to ID myself before and walked away from a cop when they accused me of banging on a trash can upon leaving a bar. Fuck that. Me and a buddy were walking home instead of driving and he was fishing for shit; I also suspect he was profiling a younger white guy and a black guy duo at 2:30 a.m. We lived in the same apartment complex, worked together, and walked to/from bars trying to pick up chicks in our younger days. Man that was fun.
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 10:48:35 AM EDT
[#13]
I assume it's required as everything is required here.

I still don't.

Got stopped Sunday with 3 match rifles in the back seat and a carry gun in my pocket.
Never even got asked "any guns or drugs?"
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 10:50:01 AM EDT
[#14]
I flagged over an officer while charging/looking for the guy that hit and ran me.

Gave him my DL and permit and explained that I had a knife on me, a pistol in the passenger compartment, and a rifle in the trunk, and asked him what I could do to make him more comfortable during our interaction. He told me he'd be fine so long as I didn't pull them out.

Previously when pulled over for expired tags, I did not inform the officer of my holstered pistol or knife.
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 10:50:29 AM EDT
[#15]
Pro tip:

If you have a CCP they already know.

Link Posted: 1/26/2021 10:50:42 AM EDT
[#16]
I did when I got pulled over. It set the tone for a fun conversation and the officer telling me that I need to wear it more often. No ticket issued.
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 10:53:23 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
I had my permit for all of a month and a half and I got pulled over for my tail light being out. Like upstanding citizen man I informed the officer that I had a valid permit to carry a concealed weapon and I was armed, in that order. He ordered me out of the car, disarmed me, handcuffed me and sat me down on the side of the road while he ran my info. This was for a tail light being out. Anyway, I won’t ever inform unless it will definitely come up.
View Quote

Yeah, I would definitely file a complaint and talk to whoever I could higher up. That is ridiculous. Exercising a right does not deem you to be a threat and just because they deal with shit bags and are scared does not grant them the authority to temporarily remove your rights. Fuck that cop.

I could possibly see it if I was with a group of buddies and a few were armed; maybe, big maybe. Usually our groups are mixed with some pretty intimidating black or mexican guys but they are good peeps. Scary if you dont know them though. lol.
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 10:55:03 AM EDT
[#18]
MN its not required unless asked. I don't tell.

Local cops, I wouldn't need to tell them, they would know the answer to the question prior to asking. I know 90% of them, the other 10% know of me through the 90%.
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 10:57:11 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

The last time I got pulled over I was doing 81-82 in a 70 zone.  Cop nails me, pulls me over.  I tell him before anything I have a ccw permit and a gun.  He asks me to get out, and I think well this is weird.  He has me unholster it and set it on my hood, he then takes it and unloads it.  The he has me go back to sit in his car with him, I'm starting to get kind of worried here.  We sit in his car and I see he has me at 81 mph.  So he calls in my license-all clear, then the mother fucker calls in my gun to make sure it isn't stolen-all clear.  

I'm kind of getting pissed at this point, especially since I KNOW I am going to get a ticket.  He hands me back my gun and says I'm giving you a warning today-slow it down.

I couldn't believe it, after all that shit no ticket.

So I always tell them.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Everytime

The last time I got pulled over I was doing 81-82 in a 70 zone.  Cop nails me, pulls me over.  I tell him before anything I have a ccw permit and a gun.  He asks me to get out, and I think well this is weird.  He has me unholster it and set it on my hood, he then takes it and unloads it.  The he has me go back to sit in his car with him, I'm starting to get kind of worried here.  We sit in his car and I see he has me at 81 mph.  So he calls in my license-all clear, then the mother fucker calls in my gun to make sure it isn't stolen-all clear.  

I'm kind of getting pissed at this point, especially since I KNOW I am going to get a ticket.  He hands me back my gun and says I'm giving you a warning today-slow it down.

I couldn't believe it, after all that shit no ticket.

So I always tell them.

See again, I would file a complaint. I get it, he is doing his job and stuff. It is really tough to create a good line on how to actually, lawfully handle the encounters to keep everyone safe but also catch bad people. Super tough line to define. I get that they like to control the situation and what is comfortable for one cop may intimidate another.

There are rules about being allowed to just run gun numbers though. Some states allow it upon encounter and others do not unless arrested or suspected, etc. I honestly am not sure of PA's.
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 10:59:35 AM EDT
[#20]
And give up the element of surprise? Never!
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 11:02:53 AM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 11:05:38 AM EDT
[#22]
Always found that being honest & friendly never worked against you (to a point).

Simple "Hello Officer. No, I don't know why you stopped me.  Here is my DL & Insurance & CHL"  (the Cops already know all of that from the Dispatch & Terminal in the car) but by not being a "Freedom Auditor" seems to have gotten me off of my few stops with "Have a nice day Sir - please get that trailer rear light (or license plate light or whatever) fixed as soon as you can" and I'm back on the road.

Cops are people, and the nicer you are to them, the nicer they tend to be back to you.

Link Posted: 1/26/2021 11:05:53 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
My license and CC permit are together in the same slot.  I hand over both.  

How can it be a bad thing that a cop knows you passed a background check at some point?
View Quote

This is my plan now.  I haven’t been pulled over in at least 15 years, but those who have recently say that they get asked. Ever since AZ went Constitutional (permitless) carry the law requires answering if carrying.  May as well be upfront about the permit since they may not ask specifically about a permit.
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 11:11:03 AM EDT
[#24]
No, I don't tell him personally, I delegate it to my staff. Sergeant, go tell that cop I have a gun.
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 11:11:18 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

I prefer to have it pulled and be spinning it on my finger as they approach while making fanning motions while saying howdie partner,, and reach for the sky black bart. Really puts them at ease and many cops like westerns so its a conversation starter too. Many times they'll even forget the initial civil infraction.
View Quote

Another technique that works really well is to jump out of the car as he approaches and scream "I've got a gun"   Usually that causes the traffic violation to be ignored.
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 11:11:29 AM EDT
[#26]
required per terms of the CCW and common sense
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 11:23:43 AM EDT
[#27]
No.  I don’t have too and I’m not interested in prolonging the conversation.
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 11:23:49 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

Is he in Tennessee? If so, TN has no requirement to inform. It may be a good idea but it’s not required, and entirely up to the individual.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Yes, my state requires me to

Really?  First I've heard of that, unless I've forgotten it.

Is he in Tennessee? If so, TN has no requirement to inform. It may be a good idea but it’s not required, and entirely up to the individual.

Yes, local to me.  Thus the question, because I've never heard of such.
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 11:24:20 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Yep, and I've found this gets you a better chance at getting a warning rather than a ticket.
View Quote

x100
I give warnings for CCW holders whenever I can avoid citing. (At fault crash, dui, etc)
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 11:26:31 AM EDT
[#30]
Shithole big city or small town?

Trooper, county, or local?

Link Posted: 1/26/2021 11:43:34 AM EDT
[#31]
I do, absolutely, every time I interact with a cop.It’s the law here
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 11:54:45 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

According to link I just posted, TN only requires if asked. @amos1909
View Quote
Yep, you are right.  I cut and pasted the wrong selection.  I am not sure that voted for the right one.  Meds and pain were kicking my derrire last night.

My state does not require it but a LE buddy told me that it settles the officer down if I tell him up front.  This was when TN first went to the permit system back in the 90's.  I never have been pulled over but have let them know in the couple accidents that I have been involved in.
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 12:36:34 PM EDT
[#33]
Where do you people live where you have to convince the cop you're not a habitual recidivist piece of shit straight off the go?  You think cops cruise around looking for shit to stir because the paperwork is just so fun?
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 12:39:42 PM EDT
[#34]
The officer knows you have a permit here when they run your plate.

I don't bother to advise unless they ask directly, then it's yes or no.

I rarely get pulled over these days, though
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 12:39:55 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

See again, I would file a complaint. I get it, he is doing his job and stuff. It is really tough to create a good line on how to actually, lawfully handle the encounters to keep everyone safe but also catch bad people. Super tough line to define. I get that they like to control the situation and what is comfortable for one cop may intimidate another.

There are rules about being allowed to just run gun numbers though. Some states allow it upon encounter and others do not unless arrested or suspected, etc. I honestly am not sure of PA's.
View Quote

In all fairness I drive old crappy cars and keep them running.  Driving an old car is like money in the bank if you can work on them.  I don't owe any car payment, the insurance is cheaper, and the taxes are waaaaay cheaper.  I don't have any other debt except my house and I will have it paid off in less than two years when I am 50.

I know a cop sees an old beat up car he/she usually thinks druggie, but not me I am an engineer and pretty well off, I just DGAF what people think of my cars.
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 12:41:48 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
I don't volunteer any information that is not asked for.
View Quote

+1
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 12:48:50 PM EDT
[#37]
I've been arrested behind a third superseding fed indictment, incarcerated for almost half a year, later worked as a CO, tried, acquitted, and all tha', and I've never interacted with a cop where he didn't grasp that I wasn't a problem within about three minutes.
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 12:50:59 PM EDT
[#38]
I do just to be courteous.

In IL our CCL is linked to vehicle registration. So they know, evan though by law we are not required to tell them.  

I've been stop twice when carrying, I am always polite, and treat the officer with respect. Only got warnings. And was thanked both times for informing them up front that I was carrying. Evan though they knew beforehand.
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 12:54:38 PM EDT
[#39]
Back before clown times, we used to just be cool and things usually went fairly smooth.
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 12:54:56 PM EDT
[#40]
I do my best not to interact with cops, and I haven't in a few years now. The first time I was pulled over while carrying I never said a word about it. The cop was a dick, and wrote me up for several mph over what I was actually speeding (my fault, I don't speed anymore.) In ND we don't have to identify.

The other time I was carrying, and a game warden came up to us while hunting in Montana. Not our fault, ultimately we were shooting rifles in an area designated for shotgun and bow only, but we had no way of knowing that and we got warnings. I was carrying, and after about 10 minutes I told him so. I wasn't aware at the time whether or not Montana is a Must Identify state. The warden was reasonably cool about it. Incidentally, 2 days after our encounter with him, there were big new signs up at all entrances to the tract stating clearly that rifle hunting was not permitted.
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 1:00:47 PM EDT
[#41]
The last time I got pulled over it was for expired tabs. Had been out of state for work and forgot to renew.

I told him as I handed him my license and reg that I also had a CPL and where the pistol was. He said thanks, did not want to see my CPL.

Still got a ticket.

WA State Patrol can see if you have a CPL when they run your plates. Local PDs can vary.
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 1:02:37 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
I don't volunteer any information that is not asked for.
View Quote

Sometimes I don't volunteer info that is asked for too
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 1:10:13 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Yes, my state requires me to
View Quote

I vacationed in TN a couple weeks ago, and I looked it up before I went there. Handgunlaw.us is showing it's not required.

Did it change maybe?

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 1:13:50 PM EDT
[#44]
Depends on whether or not the state I'm in requires it. If they don't, I won't.
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 1:14:42 PM EDT
[#45]
Yes. I have to.
A cop let me go because I told him up front.
He appreciated my attitude.
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 1:15:50 PM EDT
[#46]
Only if required by law or if asked,
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 1:16:04 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
If I get pulled over, it's required.

I figure the best way to tell the officer would be to start out with "listen, motherfucker..."
View Quote

Or depending on the locality, these are also very well received.

- yo yo officer, I'm strapped yo

- sup bruh, I'm packin' a glock fortay with homeboy night sights, so recognize my safe space and yes sir that is a rape whistle I'm wearing and I won't hesitate to use it
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 1:19:42 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
No duty to inform here but the one and only time I've been pulled over he asked about it. So I'm guessing it shows in their system whether or not someone has a license to carry when they run the plates.
View Quote

New Mexico state trooper pulled me over on road trip ( temp paper tag was flapping so "improperly affixed" )

Asked whether I had a gun ( so maybe some flag on computer )

But...................asked me whether I was retired military or retired police.

Which leaves me wondering if my USCIS file puts any flag up when a cop runs a roadside check
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 1:23:28 PM EDT
[#49]
Only if he asks me to step out of the vehicle.
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 1:28:33 PM EDT
[#50]
If he goes to my passenger side, yes because he will most likely see it when I grab my wallet. I just say I have a concealed carry on my right hip, usually they gust say if I leave mine in the holster they will do the same
Page / 5
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top