Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 6:54:42 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History

So.... this is like 750cc version for 4 grand... right?  

Link Posted: 1/25/2021 7:00:03 PM EDT
[#2]
I camped out on Facebook Marketplace, Craigslist, and OfferUp for a couple weeks to pick up a used bike, and I did just so so.  Most bikes in the range I was willing to pay $300 to $500, went fast.  Quite a few higher end bikes available, however.
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 7:00:19 PM EDT
[#3]
Local shop only had three bikes and no idea when they'd get more.
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 7:12:11 PM EDT
[#4]
I'm on my second year of trying to find a green 2019 Trek Xcaliber 9 in a large frame.
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 7:15:51 PM EDT
[#5]
I dont go to bike shops anymore. I have only bought one bike from a brick and mortar store in the past several years. I buy online from consumer direct brands (YT, Canyon, Commencal) or from Chainreactioncycles.com. I did get my wife's Surly from a bike shop in Atlanta last year. My most recent bike came from eBay.

I despise Trek because everyone has one and there is nothing exciting about them. I even get 40% off a Trek mountain bike and still won't buy one.
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 7:16:39 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Makes me wonder how much I could sell my old Trek 4500 for... ??
View Quote

That's my current ride, lol
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 7:29:57 PM EDT
[#7]
Tagging this thread.

I'm interested in getting a bike to try to lose some weight.

I'm looking for a 29er MTB on a 21" frame since I'm 6'2". But I haven't ridden a bike since I was 13 or 14 and had a 10 speed.

What's the big difference between the 21, 24 and 27 speeds? Do I want more or less speeds? Does it really matter?
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 7:37:18 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Tagging this thread.

I'm interested in getting a bike to try to lose some weight.

I'm looking for a 29er MTB on a 21" frame since I'm 6'2". But I haven't ridden a bike since I was 13 or 14 and had a 10 speed.

What's the big difference between the 21, 24 and 27 speeds? Do I want more or less speeds? Does it really matter?
View Quote

You want a 1x setup. Either 11 or 12 speed. You will have one chainring up front with no shifter (duh) and 11 or 12 gears in the back. Makes for a simpler, easier bike to ride.
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 7:41:18 PM EDT
[#9]
wow a whole page thread on bikes in GD and no out of shape cager whining about "MUH roads 4 CARS"
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 7:43:09 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
wow a whole page thread on bikes in GD and no out of shape cager whining about "MUH roads 4 CARS"
View Quote

give it time ..
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 7:45:15 PM EDT
[#11]
Ehhh. Sold my Surly Krampus (solid bike). In a Xiden America, no need for that type of bike anymore.  Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 7:45:27 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

You want a 1x setup. Either 11 or 12 speed. You will have one chainring up front with no shifter (duh) and 11 or 12 gears in the back. Makes for a simpler, easier bike to ride.
View Quote

Why is that? just easier to deal with? Or burns more calories since you are working harder with fewer gears?

What about a 9 speed bike? is that too few?
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 7:49:30 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I'm on my second year of trying to find a green 2019 Trek Xcaliber 9 in a large frame.
View Quote

I have a green and black xcaliber 9. Probably a 2017 though.
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 7:52:55 PM EDT
[#14]
I'm trying to help a friend of mine sell 2 bikes on FB since he doesn't use social media. they are older, but one is a trek and the other is a specialized, MTN bike frames that he put bontrager road tires on. he said he just wants $100 each so that's what I listed them for but no hits. I realize it's winter and shitty out, but I figured they would have been gone for that price.
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 8:25:53 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Trying to get a mountain bike to get back into it. Haven't ridden road in about 5 years due to an injury.

Think I'm dead set on the trek remedy 8 and call my local dealer to see if they have any. On backorder until spring or summer of next year.

Closest store that has one in stock is in Missouri. Anyone have any connections with trek?
View Quote

If you can hold off, you should see plenty of good used ones come along at some point and for way less than a new one.
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 8:42:57 PM EDT
[#16]
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Trying to get a mountain bike to get back into it. Haven't ridden road in about 5 years due to an injury.

Think I'm dead set on the trek remedy 8 and call my local dealer to see if they have any. On backorder until spring or summer of next year.

Closest store that has one in stock is in Missouri. Anyone have any connections with trek?

TREK is PRO BLM, @krammitthefrog

https://www.cyclingnews.com/news/trek-responds-to-use-of-police-bikes-against-black-lives-matter-protesters/

And their bikes are uninspired
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 8:54:21 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Why is that? just easier to deal with? Or burns more calories since you are working harder with fewer gears?

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Overall just easier to deal with.  3x have fallen out of favor for a number of reasons, to include redundant gearing, added weight, a longer chain that flops around more increasing the chance the chain will come off the gears,and just being one more thing you have to worry about when riding. I went from an older 3x to a 1x and I would never go back. Its true that you'll lose gear ratio with a 1x but you'll never miss it.  

9 speeds is on the low end for a 1x but entirely doable.
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 8:55:47 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View Quote

Double chainrings are becoming obsolete on mountain bikes. They run wide range cassettes and a single chainring upfront now. It just the way the market is going.
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 8:59:39 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View Quote

I dunno, the remedy is pretty awesome. I like the norco sight too, but the remedy gets better brakes and an equivalent group set for about 5-600 less on an equivalent gx build.

Going to check out the canyon spectral.
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 9:01:07 PM EDT
[#20]
Pivot FTMFW
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 9:07:41 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

I dunno, the remedy is pretty awesome. I like the norco sight too, but the remedy gets better brakes and an equivalent group set for about 5-600 less on an equivalent gx build.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Not really. Ibis, Santa Cruz, Salsa, Canyon, Evil, Turner, Pivot put out bikes that just ride better.
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 9:23:31 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The 1x drive train allows for full suspension frame designs where there is no place for a front derailleur. It's the way to go.
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 9:45:11 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Not really. Ibis, Santa Cruz, Salsa, Canyon, Evil, Turner, Pivot put out bikes that just ride better.
View Quote

I don't think you can really find many bad bikes in that category these days, just different flavors and varying geometry.

The norco and trek was simply as close to a 1:1 comparison as I had at the moment. I've looked at both pretty intensely and the trek had what I wanted for 5-600 less than the same component spec as the norco.
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 10:18:07 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

View Quote

Same gearing in a more compact system. You used to have 3 gears up front and 9 in the back. There was overlap on the hearing ratios between the combinations of front and rear gears.

The creation of the 11 and 12 speed cassettes/hubs allowed for a bigger range of gears in the back. It took away the overlap that occurred in the old 3x9 drivtrains. An 11 speed 11-46t cassette paired to a 32t chainring will do everything you need. If you climb long steep hills and need that 50+ tooth big gear in the back then go 12 speed. I have run an 11-50t 11 speed cassette but my derailleur paid the price.

All high end modern mountain bikes (hardtail and full suspension)  have gone 1x. You will find lower end bikes still running 3x or even 2x drivetrains.
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 10:26:02 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

View Quote

9 speeds being too much or too few depends entirely on where and how you ride.  Central Florida 9 probably does me fine.

A 1x12 (sram eagle) gives you 520% gear range.  I bet a 3x7 isnt much more.  While a traditional 3x7 will offer slightly more finer control and probably more range keep in mind several of those gears are going to be nearly identical or "bad" (cross chain).  

Your 1x is much simpler to think about "click up for harder click down for easier", not having to do any math or remembering whilst preoccupied with, say, traffic or technical terrain.
Your 1x is easier to maintain (50% fewer deraillers and 25% fewer cables... well 50% as nowadays the brakes are hydraulics) and clean
Its also alot less likely to drop chains (that is not trivial when cycling in traffic)

If you want to nerd out:
https://www.sheldonbrown.com/gear-calc.html
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 10:34:51 PM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 11:12:43 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
I'm trying to help a friend of mine sell 2 bikes on FB since he doesn't use social media. they are older, but one is a trek and the other is a specialized, MTN bike frames that he put bontrager road tires on. he said he just wants $100 each so that's what I listed them for but no hits. I realize it's winter and shitty out, but I figured they would have been gone for that price.
View Quote

Bontrager is Trek. Road tires as in slicks? Mtg bikes and road bike wheels have different geometry. Mtn bikes have 26 or 29" rims and road bikes 700cm or 27" from the 70s. 660b is a old and fairly popular wheel too. So one just cannot willy-nilly swap wheels and tires without having problems. Tires wont fit, clearance issues, rear stay problems, brake issues, ect.

However many people do that. Mtn. Bikes are great gravel grinders and road burners with the added benefit of better gearing for hills and loose terrain. They offer a more upright position for a more casual ride, that benefit older less flexible people and those who realize that riding tucked for hours on end isn't fun or comfortable.

They are old(er) model frames too  and many only want the latest and greatest as they think that minute gearing change or loss of 50 grams will make them the next Lance Armstrong. The fact is with bikes it is 97% motor, 2% fit, and 1% bike. Everything else is marketing.

They will sell you just need to post them to a market that will be more interested.

Link Posted: 1/25/2021 11:13:30 PM EDT
[#28]
Golf club dealers are starting to have the same problem. Golf shit is made in china
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 11:27:34 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Bontrager is Trek. Road tires as in slicks? Mtg bikes and road bike wheels have different geometry. Mtn bikes have 26 or 29" rims and road bikes 700cm or 27" from the 70s. 660b is a old and fairly popular wheel too. So one just cannot willy-nilly swap wheels and tires without having problems. Tires wont fit, clearance issues, rear stay problems, brake issues, ect.

However many people do that. Mtn. Bikes are great gravel grinders and road burners with the added benefit of better gearing for hills and loose terrain. They offer a more upright position for a more casual ride, that benefit older less flexible people and those who realize that riding tucked for hours on end isn't fun or comfortable.

They are old(er) model frames too  and many only want the latest and greatest as they think that minute gearing change or loss of 50 grams will make them the next Lance Armstrong. The fact is with bikes it is 97% motor, 2% fit, and 1% bike. Everything else is marketing.

They will sell you just need to post them to a market that will be more interested.

View Quote

700=29 same size rim, and you and I both know he probably meant he put slick tires on the 26 wheels to ride around the neighborhood.
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 12:40:38 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Wonder what the deal is with their logistics.  

Most bikes models are made in Asia, with just the tier 1 shit made in Waterloo, WI.  Wonder if some stupid universal component is made in some covid shutdown Chinese factory or something?
View Quote

There is a 10 page thread here on Arf somewhere about how completely screwed up the entire world shipping and logistics systems are now. Has to do with those container boxes being out of place and the scamdemic. 30+ ships sitting off Long Beach right now with 4+ week wait times to just get into port.
Tires for your cars are going to be in very short supply next.
Good thing Xiden got elected.. He’ll sort it out.
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 12:50:33 AM EDT
[#31]
This thread reminds me I need to list my 2020 Canyon Ultimate CF SLX for sale. SRAM Force eTap AXS and DT Swiss Arc 1400 dicut carbon wheels. Bought it, rode it maybe 100 miles, and got bored of the hobby
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 1:03:06 AM EDT
[#32]
Originally Posted By @fttam:
I just wanted a beach cruiser this past summer. Unobtanium.

And it hasn’t changed.
View Quote

check out www.bikesdirect.com - they have some bikes in stock
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 1:05:12 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

View Quote

For easy stuff 9 might be fine, but Id want more for comfort in highly varying terrain. People ride single speeds and live to tell though

1x is just the latest shiny wizbang to get people to spend money. Still has pros and cons.
Other people have posted lots of the pros so Ill leave that alone.
For cons, looking at the wear on the sides of the wide teeth has me wondering how much efficiency is lost to friction. Cross chain used to be a bad thing, wtf happened lol.
I ride with a bunch of people, and its the 1x that pops the chain the most. Unlike a 2 or 3x, you cant just shift it back on with the front derailleur without even stopping.

I am in the market for a new (used) bike this season also. Hoping for a 2x10, but its not high on my priority list.
They were stupid spendy last season, but came down pretty hard over the winter. Id expect them to go back up when the weather gets nice again.
As much as it sucks, fb marketplace seems to be the place where all the action is. Look for local groups also.
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 1:08:38 AM EDT
[#34]
I bought two new Specialized Pitch bikes new in April.  I got lucky and someone had ordered them and passed on them.  Rode them a little but I got into dirt bikes and Banshees so they were collecting dust.  Sold them in October for nearly double what I paid new.  I just asked best offer and the best was way high.
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 1:22:48 AM EDT
[#35]

Trek - owned by liberals, ran by liberals.  I'll hold my nose occasionally when it comes to small purchases, but no way I'd drop serious $$'s at a company that actively supports the shit they have.
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 1:32:11 AM EDT
[#36]
Was going to look at a mountain bike to ride along with my kiddo(XL) but I’ll just wait till after we move this year
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 1:34:23 AM EDT
[#37]
The current time from procuring materials to getting a product overseas to a shop in the US is around 400 days.
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 1:42:56 AM EDT
[#38]
I'm doing an Orbea MyO Orca Aero. The only way I could get a bike before 2022
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 2:02:00 AM EDT
[#39]
I'd just be happy with a cruiser bike.
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 2:09:53 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Nice!  Are you just rubbing it in?  Why don't you give me a nice paper cut and pour lemon juice on it?
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 2:52:10 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
My local bike store went out of business.    They couldn't get any bikes.

He's been my go to guy for 20yrs.  

Closest bike shop is now 1.5yrs away.  90miles.
View Quote

Sorry to hear that.  I think a lot of shops are going to struggle.

I’m just going to focus on repairs while bikes are hard to sell.  Dollar wise repairs are smaller but percent wise they’re better for me than sales.
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 3:33:08 AM EDT
[#42]
I bought my daughter a Trek dirt bike 5 years ago and she hardly rode the thing. It’s practically brand new and the tires/ tubes won’t hold air. I wonder if they have a buy back or maybe sell it for what it bought it for since they are that low on stock.
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 4:15:24 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
I bought my daughter a Trek dirt bike 5 years ago and she hardly rode the thing. It’s practically brand new and the tires/ tubes won’t hold air. I wonder if they have a buy back or maybe sell it for what it bought it for since they are that low on stock.
View Quote

Maybe not right now, but this summer you prob can, and maybe even make some on top depending on what it is.
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 4:41:00 AM EDT
[#44]
I have a Trek Soho and its been a good cruising bike . The Bontrager seat however I can never get used to.
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 4:52:47 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
BMX is the same, except the UK and Aussies are playing the same game as folks here in the US. Buying frames, forks and collecting parts for a build. Skyways is claiming they can't find a shipping container, meanwhile SE racing is finding a way to make it happen.
View Quote

I have a Skyway T/A frame and fork with Redline 401 Flight cranks I'll sell ya.
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 4:55:34 AM EDT
[#46]
Now I feel bad for barely riding my Canyon Spectral CF 8.0 this year.

But I’d definitely look into a direct to consumer brand. Specialized is pretty much the only option locally. A cery limited selection of Yetis and Pivots are available a few hours away.
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 5:24:01 AM EDT
[#47]
I have a couple of Montague folding mountain bikes that I've been using recently, but my (very, like about 35 years old) old Specialized Rockhopper needs to get tuned up.  I picked up a Burley Coho XC (single track) trailer last year and had some fun riding trails in VA where I was working.  It was my secondary means of bugging home to GA

I need to pick up some spare parts...now may not be the time though.

ROCK6
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 5:37:41 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

I’m just going to focus on repairs while bikes are hard to sell.  Dollar wise repairs are smaller but percent wise they’re better for me than sales.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
My local bike store went out of business.    They couldn't get any bikes.

He's been my go to guy for 20yrs.  

Closest bike shop is now 1.5yrs away.  90miles.

I feel for the decent shops but just about every bike shop I've seen in Chicago (admittedly the real problem here) is pasted with commie garbage. Fuck'em, I wanted to support a local place in getting my old bike fixed up and modded but I'll do it myself instead of paying people who want to kill me.
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 5:38:28 PM EDT
[#49]
Found 2 Specialized stump jumpers, one is a 2008, the other not sure what year, the 2008 I use every day, the other one is almost new, meaning not even one scratch, the prices were $500.00 , the fairly new one as $550.00, they're keepers.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top