Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 3
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 11:55:58 AM EDT
[#1]
A real Blazer.  A K5 full size, 2 door Blazer, not that anemic CUV they call a "Blazer".  I want a V8, or turbo 6, real 4WD not AWD.
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 11:56:22 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
The new Subaru XV/Crosstrek, but with the WRX STI engine, turbo, and powertrain.

[/img]
View Quote

NO!!

I really don’t want to buy a new vehicle, and that would too damn tempting.  [img]/images/smilies/smiley_abused.gif[/img]
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 11:56:47 AM EDT
[#3]
All I want is the 6cyl Rav4 back.  Toyota fucking neutered that ride with the 4 cyl.
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 11:59:22 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 12:05:58 PM EDT
[#5]
1. First and most obvious:   There should be 4X4 Full size hightop Vans built on 1/2 ton and 3/4 truck chassis.  

2. There should be muscle cars and sports cars which don’t make you feel like you’re sitting in your own grave.     A normal sized guy should be able to put his arm on the window sill.
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 12:08:29 PM EDT
[#6]
a small mini van thats basically a utility vehicle. Something like an transit connect but without all the crap.
A decent 4 cylinder or straight 6 at most, manual trans with 4 gears, low 1st and od 4th, I don't care how fast it accelerates, thats for the man-childs to worry about.
2 seats is all I need with the rest open cargo area. No power windows locks, a/c and all that useless crap, just plain and simple but of high build quality.
Built with reliability as high priority.
Should weigh no more than 2500lbs, get 30-35mpg all the time and cost approx 20K or less.
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 12:18:32 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
and Toyota needs to mimic LC70 Troop Carrier body panels on a Lexus GX/Toyota Prado  and sell it in America for 65K.  Or do the same on the 4Runner Platform.
Then finally Fing update the 4Runner platform.
65K.  Land Cruiser Classic.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
and Toyota needs to mimic LC70 Troop Carrier body panels on a Lexus GX/Toyota Prado  and sell it in America for 65K.  Or do the same on the 4Runner Platform.
This.

Quoted:
Current year Excursion with that big body go go godzilla engine. Also (Ford don't be a bitch), offer a package with 35's and front and back axle lockers. /
And this. But with the Powerstroke.

Know what a new loaded Cadillac Escalade costs? $115k out the door. And the "big engine" is a 6.2L gasser. I'm looking hard at Excursion conversions because even as expensive as they are, they might hold some value ten years from now. A ten year old Escalade is going to be worth pennies. But because of the switch to aluminum bodies the newest Superduty you can convert is a 2016.  I would buy a 2021 Excursion with a Powerstroke in a heartbeat.
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 12:24:44 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Not a boomer.

the short back, long rear, V8, RWD, two door, framed window, performance vehicle,
and two seat American sports car,
are a popular, classic, design.

The sales of the classic, Challenger appearing,
classic, Mustang years appearing,
compared to non classic appear,
and FWD sedans, coupes, etc.
and secondary market for vintage FJs, Defenders,
compared to non classic appearing Camaro,
updated Mustang,
disappointment with the new Defender,
disappointment and cancellation of the FJ Cruiser,
sales of the semi classic appearing Challenger,
interest in the new Bronco,
massive sales of the classic appearing Jeep Wrangler,
cancellation of the non classic Xterra,
and lukewarm response to the 2004 to 2006 GTO are all indicators of an odd anomaly in the typical vehicular cycle:

1964 - 1974 presented styles of broad appeal to buyers older than and younger than those keyed by age to that cycle.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
There should be a car that looks exactly like a 1967 Corvette,
called the Corvette Classic,
that is essentially a 20219 Grand Sport except for the handling, drivetrain, interior, etc.
for 75K

and like a 1968-1970 two door post Chevelle/Buick/Cutlass/Tempest with the Camaro 6.2 SS drivetrain, handling, interior, etc.
Called the GM Muscle Classic.
for 50K

and like a 1969 Dodge Charger,
that except for looks is essentially a 6.1L new Challenger,
for 50K

and like a 1969 Mach 1,
that is basically a new Mustang GT,
for 50K
called the Mustang Vintage.

Edit:
And Nissan could make serious bank if they took the Xterra platform, revamped the rear hatch to a door with rear mounted spare, and door hinges to rapidly removable and re-installable.
This profit could be directly reinvested into a drivetrain update to the Frontier/Xterra drivetrain.
Call it the Patrol Pro Past.

Ok boomer

Not a boomer.

the short back, long rear, V8, RWD, two door, framed window, performance vehicle,
and two seat American sports car,
are a popular, classic, design.

The sales of the classic, Challenger appearing,
classic, Mustang years appearing,
compared to non classic appear,
and FWD sedans, coupes, etc.
and secondary market for vintage FJs, Defenders,
compared to non classic appearing Camaro,
updated Mustang,
disappointment with the new Defender,
disappointment and cancellation of the FJ Cruiser,
sales of the semi classic appearing Challenger,
interest in the new Bronco,
massive sales of the classic appearing Jeep Wrangler,
cancellation of the non classic Xterra,
and lukewarm response to the 2004 to 2006 GTO are all indicators of an odd anomaly in the typical vehicular cycle:

1964 - 1974 presented styles of broad appeal to buyers older than and younger than those keyed by age to that cycle.

I love the looks of the cars from that period. Best looking cars ever IMO.

But, cars will never look like that again. Damn pedestrian safety standards.  Pop up headlights are gone forever too.
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 12:28:28 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Lexus makes the RCF, GSF, and ISF. 472 hp 5.0 V8 and RWD.
View Quote

Yeah, but not a direct competitor. I'm thinking along the lines of something that can be ordered as bare bones as possible, as well as tricked out.
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 12:29:08 PM EDT
[#10]
A normal sized pickup for the home diy-er
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 12:31:23 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
A real Jeep pickup truck.  Not a Wrangler with half a bed jammed on the back.

Jeep has a long tradition of full size pickups. That ended when Chrysler bought out AMC in the mid 80's.

More inline 6's.

Porsche:
The Boxter/Cayman  never should have happened.   The 911 should have evolved into a mid engined 2 seater. The rear seats are useless anyway.    The rear engined 911 will always be a compromised design.  If the engine was in the middle the design could be pushed farther in the direction of supercar.

Then, build a entry-level sports car in the pattern of the 924/944. Front engine, rear drive.
View Quote

I'd definitely get one of those wrangler pickups if it was a standard cab with a normal sized bed
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 12:32:21 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Yeah, but not a direct competitor. I'm thinking along the lines of something that can be ordered as bare bones as possible, as well as tricked out.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Lexus makes the RCF, GSF, and ISF. 472 hp 5.0 V8 and RWD.

A stripped down Toyota badged RCF would be awesome. Honestly I feel that's what the new Supra should have been.
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 12:33:20 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

I'd definitely get one of those wrangler pickups if it was a standard cab with a normal sized bed
View Quote

I'd love a modern J10 with short wheel base. Base it off a Ram chassis I dont care.
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 12:40:08 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I want grown up Lego cars.  Interchangeable body parts that could be easily swapped out to give your vehicle different looks and functionally.
View Quote
That was exactly what I was going to post.
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 12:41:28 PM EDT
[#15]
I will never own a GM vehicle.
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 12:50:19 PM EDT
[#16]
A Ranger or similar small truck the size of the old ranger, not the new fat one. Set up with enough frame and suspension for light work. Styling like the early 90s square bodies. Manual trans and transfer. Power from an om602 or similar Euroturbodiesel. Should be light, practical, handy, and get great mileage with enough power to merge and fight normal highway traffic easily.
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 12:51:16 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
I want to see a luxury, compact, front-engined sports coupe with a twin-turbo VR6, 7 speed DSG transmission, and factory Akrapovic exhaust.

Something in between the size of a BMW M2 and M4.
View Quote
Manual transmission with manual steering rack. No fly-by-wire shit.
It's what I hope the Alfa 6C will be, but I'm sure they'll only offer the M/T in Europe and not the USA, just like the Guilia.

Link Posted: 1/25/2021 12:52:10 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
A stripped down Toyota badged RCF would be awesome. Honestly I feel that's what the new Supra should have been.
View Quote

Yup. Too bad the consumers have moved on to car based SUVs the last few years. Cool stuff will never get produced for a good price.
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 12:57:56 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
I want grown up Lego cars.  Interchangeable body parts that could be easily swapped out to give your vehicle different looks and functionally.
View Quote

I've been talking about this since I was a teenager. It exists in computers, guns, musical instruments, etc.

Not cars tho. Ever. It's almost criminally stupid to seize the practicality and opportunity involved. Think of how many aftermarket industries, from huge ones to a dude in his garage making a single part, might be involved.

Sucks.
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 1:08:00 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Bare bones, cheap family car that seats 6 and has no options, electronics, GPS, or luxury features, 6 cylinder engine, for ~$6,000. (or less)

The EPA would never let it pass though.
View Quote

It's 2021. $6k isn't enough to buy anything even remotely like that.

EZ-GO's cheapest two seat golf cart has a starting MSRP of $6,849. No safety equipment, no emissions regulations, and no features. The damn thing doesn't even have doors. $6,849.

A lot of people here really seem to struggle with the idea of how much things should cost and what the dollar is(n't) really worth these days.
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 1:10:48 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
I want to see a luxury, compact, front-engined sports coupe with a twin-turbo VR6, 7 speed DSG transmission, and factory Akrapovic exhaust.

View Quote

meh, better already exists.

forced induction VR6 don't cool very well, trust me on this.
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 1:11:30 PM EDT
[#22]

Fuck you, dieselgate.

View Quote

That engine is pretty average. Give me the boosted vr6. Fastest TT is still a vr6 swapped car.
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 1:19:27 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
https://blogmedia.dealerfire.com/wp-content/uploads/sites/484/2016/05/Golf-R400_o.jpg

Fuck you, dieselgate.

https://i.ytimg.com/vi/poKzyTWJk5U/hqdefault.jpg

That engine is pretty average. Give me the boosted vr6. Fastest TT is still a vr6 swapped car.
View Quote

I've built a few turbo vr's.

cooling is a MAJOR issue and it got worse with the bigger displacement motors. they simply couldn't leave the factory like that.

I've also done big turbo RS cars, 700+ hp rs6's

there used to be a couple 500+hp 16v.

the vr6 is only worth the effort if it has to be transvers, longitude, forget about it.. way better options.

I have a 17 S8 sitting in front of my door at the moment.
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 1:22:40 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

cooling is a MAJOR issue and it got worse with the bigger displacement motors. they simply couldn't leave the factory like that.

the vr6 is only worth the effort if it has to be transvers, longitude, forget about it.. way better options.
View Quote

Only 700?

You're going to have to go standalone ecu for big numbers, but that's the same for pretty much all platforms and other Audi engines that have a lot of potential.

Do you follow Malaka Motorsports? He was swapping a vr6 into his rs3 and has a couple high power b5 cars with the swap too.

I don't disagree though and would take 2.5t over either of those.
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 1:23:24 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

I have a 17 S8 sitting in front of my door at the moment.
View Quote
I want to see a Golf R with the TTRS engine.
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 1:24:19 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
View Quote

We would have had one. Literally still mad about it.

Iroz has swapped one in a mk7 a couple years back.

Link Posted: 1/25/2021 1:27:52 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

Only 700?

You're going to have to go standalone ecu for big numbers, but that's the same for pretty much all platforms and other Audi engines that have a lot of potential.

Do you follow Malaka Motorsports? He was swapping a vr6 into his rs3 and has a couple high power b5 cars with the swap too.
View Quote

yeah, its a daily driver.

no need to go crazy... fuckin car already spins all 4 the tires with launch control at 3500.

OP is asking for a car that could see production, not some high end tuner that needs helicopter level maintenance.
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 1:28:49 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
View Quote

I want an alltrack with a TTRS engine
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 1:32:28 PM EDT
[#29]
I'm going to +1 the MR2 or something similar.

Another idea that I think has real potential: a 4x4 van built on a Tacoma/Colorado/Ranger platform. Something like that would make an awesome camping/adventure vehicle and could also be useful for some people that live/work in rural settings.
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 1:35:33 PM EDT
[#30]
200 series Land Cruiser with a 6 speed manual transmission and lockers and cloth interior
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 1:38:10 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
I'm going to +1 the MR2 or something similar.

Another idea that I think has real potential: a 4x4 van built on a Tacoma/Colorado/Ranger platform. Something like that would make an awesome camping/adventure vehicle and could also be useful for some people that live/work in rural settings.
View Quote

Yes to the MR2. I see a gen 1 in good shape driving around often and was wondering why Toyota doesn't revive that platform to compliment the Type 86.

Adventure vans are the cool thing right now around here.  Anything from the much coveted GMC safari to the rich Californians larping as "outdoorsy people" in $150k sprinter vans.
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 1:49:13 PM EDT
[#32]
Amphibious cars or trucks like the Schwimmwagen or DUKW.
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 1:50:21 PM EDT
[#33]
What would be the tits, would be a car that had the Daytona Prototype, Viper, Jaguar XK shape, with a 2.1 Liter tri rotor Single turbo engine in it with a 6 speed real manual. 500-700 HP
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 6:41:43 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
A normal sized pickup for the home diy-er
View Quote

Normal size would be a 2 door with an 8 foot bed, so literally every brand of pickup truck makes that, except maybe Nissan, but they dont count anyway.
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 6:50:21 PM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 7:11:06 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

View Quote
Audi rs5 gets you close
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 7:12:04 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
A real Blazer.  A K5 full size, 2 door Blazer, not that anemic CUV they call a "Blazer".  I want a V8, or turbo 6, real 4WD not AWD.
View Quote
That's a Tahoe.
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 7:13:29 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
a small mini van thats basically a utility vehicle. Something like an transit connect but without all the crap.
A decent 4 cylinder or straight 6 at most, manual trans with 4 gears, low 1st and od 4th, I don't care how fast it accelerates, thats for the man-childs to worry about.
2 seats is all I need with the rest open cargo area. No power windows locks, a/c and all that useless crap, just plain and simple but of high build quality.
Built with reliability as high priority.
Should weigh no more than 2500lbs, get 30-35mpg all the time and cost approx 20K or less.
View Quote
Tons of those in Mexico/S America/Asia/Europe, just not here
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 7:17:12 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
More sedans and SUVs with manual transmissions.  

I don’t give a shit if flappy paddles are faster shifting and make the cars faster with them.  

Yes I know manual transmissions don’t sell, but fuck it, that’s what I want, lol.

View Quote

Been discussed here in some detail, but Porsche just offered a manual transmission in the 911 again because they expect a full fifth of their customer base to buy them. Lots of people disappointed in how they went about it, though.

I want a manual M3/M4 with the traditional kidney grills, or a manual M8. BMW says the M8 won't get one because of the stress 600hp puts on the clutch, and they'd have to restrict the off-the-line performance...or some such BS.
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 7:17:41 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Europe got the RS3 Sportback, which is basically a Golf R with TTRS engine .
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 7:19:54 PM EDT
[#41]
The return of actual options.

Not this "oh you want leather seats? The only way you can have them is with 90 things you do not want."

Now that Trump is gone I am expecting that waiting to see what offerings drop off the table.

The damned roots blowers on everything stuff is a bit long in the tooth.   Was really hoping to see one of the big three put a turbo or two on a V8 and reset the HP wars.   Thinking we wont be seeing that except maybe on the Corvette.
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 7:28:53 PM EDT
[#42]
300HP turbocharged Miata.
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 7:42:02 PM EDT
[#43]
Attachment Attached File

On a real note, I'm more looking forward to Tesla type HVAC for auto and home.  All vehicles hopefully will offer some sort of camp / dog mode.  I would love nothing more than a van or truck that could allow me to put a memory foam and not burn up or freeze when traveling.  I have this need bad.  I considered getting a model y and travel / camp in it...I would prefer it being larger.  When Tesla or Toyota does the new battery tech that they are teasing (solid state battery) allowing 600-700 miles per charge, I will have no option but to pull the trigger.
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 8:08:36 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
The thing that needs to be made is the train concept:

Small diesel motor running at its peak torque RPM driving an electric generator.

Electric motors drive the wheels.

Solar panels up top, regen braking, plug-in if need be.

Only kicks the diesel on if you need it.
View Quote

Thank you.  This is perfect.  Only gasoline of course (for cost and fuel simplicity).

Every vehicle class should exist like this.  Pickup, sedan, crossover, etc.

BMW is the only one to sort of dip their toe in the water with the BMW I3 Rex.

But I think the battery should be tiny (like 20-50 miles range ). Again, to make $13,000 vehicles that can easily get to 300,000 miles since the engines spend all their time the way Semi trucks’ engines do.

Not to mention you get to delete your transmission, which takes care of a great deal of complexity.

I’m convinced this approach isn’t taken because it would result in unprofitably reliable vehicles.
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 8:33:51 PM EDT
[#45]
Subaru BRZ with 300HP...
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 8:42:01 PM EDT
[#46]
Ford Falcon XR8 Ute.  5.4L supercharged with a 6spd manual

I'd drive the fuck out of one!

Link Posted: 1/25/2021 8:48:05 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
The thing that needs to be made is the train concept:

Small diesel motor running at its peak torque RPM driving an electric generator.

Electric motors drive the wheels.

Solar panels up top, regen braking, plug-in if need be.

Only kicks the diesel on if you need it.
View Quote

Nope.  Just a small diesel engine driving a manual (or a CVT would fit with your idea of keeping it at peak RPM).  Keep the weight and complexity of batteries, electric motors, solar panels, and all that BS out of it.  

Look at the old VW Rabbits and Mercedes diesels...diesel sippers that last forever and can run on french fry juice.  

Fuckin' EPA
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 8:57:36 PM EDT
[#48]
A pickup that you don't need a step,  with no electronics and a std. transmission.
Under $25K
Basically a better Fuel Injected SBC 1982 C-10.
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 9:01:37 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

Nope.  Just a small diesel engine driving a manual (or a CVT would fit with your idea of keeping it at peak RPM).  Keep the weight and complexity of batteries, electric motors, solar panels, and all that BS out of it.  

Look at the old VW Rabbits and Mercedes diesels...diesel sippers that last forever and can run on french fry juice.  

Fuckin' EPA
View Quote

Better torque with electric motors.

CVT’s are still transmissions, and have plenty of complexity and spotty reliability everywhere they’ve been tried (from John Deere 8R’s to Honda’s).

Electric generation is actually a more efficient use of fuel than mechanical transmission into forward motion.
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 9:07:52 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

View Quote

Huh. I like this idea.
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top