Quoted:
Unnamed state of the cowardly is probably awesome
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
My local police lied to me about letting a thief drive off with my stolen license plate on his car. They claimed they had it in evidence, then admitted it to me later when "I" got a parking ticket on Long Island and I called them up and asked how my license plate escaped their evidence locker. Actually it was kind of funny.

New York sounds awesome

Few places are more awesome than NY.
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 5:38:46 AM EDT
[#3]
Lol at all of the “Cops are your friends!” posters in here.

Rules for any police encounter:

1. Name (DL/CWP info if required by law).
2. Request to speak with legal counsel.
3. Shut. The. Fuck. Up.

It really is that simple and anyone that tells you differently has something up their sleeve.
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 5:44:29 AM EDT
[#4]
I always love the where are you coming from and where are you going to line when getting pulled over. Like that is pertinent to me speeding, or not wearing a seat belt.
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 5:51:45 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 5:51:47 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

It's all situational, which is where the "don't be a dumb fuck" part comes into play.

If the evidence is there all the silence in the world isn't going to help you.  Around here, once it goes to court there isn't much in the way of discretion, either the evidence sticks and you get hooked up or it doesn't.

If you're found to be doing something illegal, but explainable, there's a chance a plausible story will get you off with a lesson learned and nothing more.  Hell even a "Yeah I know I fucked up..." will sometimes get you off the hook if it's something relatively minor.  A backpack full of bags of meth in your car?  Not so much so you're best keeping your mouth shut... and I'm also not recommending divulging any information contributing to your guilt either.
View Quote

I'm smart enough to know that I know less than 1% of the laws on the books and had better not inadvertently incriminate myself by running my mouth to the guy whose literal job it is to arrest people for breaking laws.  Inadvertently or otherwise.
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 6:04:33 AM EDT
[#7]
Most of the locals I’m on first name basis with. They’ve done several good deeds for us.
One came in the driveway and told us we had some gates stolen.  Long story, but didn’t know they were missing.
Another one called and told us my FIL had fallen in his yard. Just happened to see it on patrol. Had everything under control when we go there.
The sheriff and I talk guns a lot. He’s a gun guy.
Not all cops are bad.
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 6:07:05 AM EDT
[#8]
Read the book You have the Right to Remain Innocent by James Duane. It's a really quick read.

Summary: If a police officer asks you any question other than at AND about a simple traffic stop, say "I want a lawyer" and absolutely nothing else.
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 6:08:47 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
well why do you think those helpful policemen wanted my name and driver ID
1-so they could later give me an award as wallet turner inner of the year
2-in case they found some reason later to accuse me of wrong doing related to the Wallet "someone used my credit card" "my ruby is missing" etc

How do you think those two cops (it took two of them for some reason) had felt if I demanded their names and badge numbers? Do you think they would have thought

1-He's going to get us personalized trophies
2-He's implying he thinks we're going to steal the cash
View Quote

To document you being the complainant in their report
Or if you're that shy about being identified you could have simply been an anonymous good citizen
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 6:10:27 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I always love the where are you coming from and where are you going to line when getting pulled over. Like that is pertinent to me speeding, or not wearing a seat belt.
View Quote

It is, actually. It helps the officer decide whether a ticket should be issued or an alternative like a verbal  warning be utilized
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 6:15:31 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
You do you man, but like I say in all these threads.  Living in absolutes probably is the best idea either.  I’ve had plenty of ppl talk them selves out of jail.
View Quote

If all it takes is some talking to get me sprung, then my lawyer is perfectly capable of doing that for me in a few hours. What's the rush?
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 6:28:42 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

If all it takes is some talking to get me sprung, then my lawyer is perfectly capable of doing that for me in a few hours. What's the rush?
View Quote

Plus your claim is potentially worth more the longer you’re in.
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 6:42:58 AM EDT
[#13]
My buddy learned the hard way.

Got arrested for being in a house near a crime scene.
Had a court appointed lawyer that let him speak way too much and let him admit that he was at the crime scene at some point.

Jury found him guilty because he admitted to having been a the scene, 500 yards from the house he was spending the night at, at some point during the evening. Lawyer didn’t bother to help him get out of the hole either, but you get what you pay for.

I offered to loan him the money for a real lawyer too. Cost him time in jail, two felonies, $50k in fines.
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 6:54:59 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Or maybe try have a good relationship with the local police.
View Quote
Ha! Good one. All the badge licking in the world won't help you.
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 7:05:51 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Ok, and? What is the problem?
View Quote
Who he is is none of their business.
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 7:12:18 AM EDT
[#16]

This attorney and the ex-cop/law student in this video agree; Never Talk to the Police.
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 7:22:34 AM EDT
[#17]
Ive had plenty of interactions with local police about neighborhood shenanigans (tagging, property destruction, theft....), and one instance of a Karen calling the cops on me.
Concerning that latter part, had I done something questionable or illegal I wouldn't have told them anything except "I'll make my statement to a lawyer."

It is true, never talk to the cops if you're in trouble. They may sympathize and have the best intentions but the miranda warning does NOT say "Anything you say can can and will be used to HELP YOU in a court of law"

Let that sink in
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 7:46:13 AM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 7:47:03 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Ive had plenty of interactions with local police about neighborhood shenanigans (tagging, property destruction, theft....), and one instance of a Karen calling the cops on me.
Concerning that latter part, had I done something questionable or illegal I wouldn't have told them anything except "I'll make my statement to a lawyer."

It is true, never talk to the cops if you're in trouble. They may sympathize and have the best intentions but the miranda warning does NOT say "Anything you say can can and will be used to HELP YOU in a court of law"

Let that sink in
View Quote

Not only do they not say that, but anything you say to the cops explicitly CANNOT be used to help you. It's hearsay.
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 7:48:13 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Lol at all of the “Cops are your friends!” posters in here.

Rules for any police encounter:

1. Name (DL/CWP info if required by law).
2. Request to speak with legal counsel.
3. Shut. The. Fuck. Up.

It really is that simple and anyone that tells you differently has something up their sleeve.
View Quote

I've admitted guilt the last two times I got pulled over and admitted to speeding. Warning both times.

I guess you probably should shut up if you are DUI, sell meth, or just murdered someone though...
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 7:54:33 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
View Quote

No thanks.  I'm straight.
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 8:00:43 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

I've admitted guilt the last two times I got pulled over and admitted to speeding. Warning both times.

I guess you probably should shut up if you are DUI, sell meth, or just murdered someone though...
View Quote

Congrats on your streak!  However, history has proven that it most likely won’t continue.
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 8:02:12 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
You do you man, but like I say in all these threads.  Living in absolutes probably is the best idea either.  I’ve had plenty of ppl talk them selves out of jail.
View Quote

People have fallen without a parachute, thousands of feet from aircraft and survived.

You shouldn't count on it.

I've seen personally or on video, so many cops lie that at this point, I'd take the word of an internet Nigerian "prince" over that of the average cop.

Trusting the police is like walking through a forest, taking a bite out of every mushroom you see.
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 8:02:37 AM EDT
[#24]

" I don't answer questions"
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 8:04:14 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Who he is is none of their business.
View Quote

He's just turned property over to them
Unless he wants to remain anonymous, it's always good practice for the officer to confirm the personal information if the person to whom they're speaking through checking id
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 8:05:34 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
The police are even scared of the police now.
View Quote

That is very true.
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 8:05:39 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
I wonder how religious cops generally are. I've often wondered if the religious ones realize just how fucked they are if they'll be held responsible for what they did.
View Quote

I'll bet Iranian cops who beat and shoot protestors are VERY religious.  I'm going to go out on a limb and bet they sleep like babies at night... just like the Chicago cop who tried to stomp the barmaid to death or the LAPD and Torrance PD cops who tried to slaughter two Hispanic paper delivery women and a White surfer while trying to air out Chris Dorner, a 300lb. Black man driving an entirely different vehicle from theirs.

To a lot of cops, we're nothing but a funding stream and reactive targets.
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 8:06:51 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Course not, they're hoping to find something else to charge you with. I told a cop it was none of his business and he said "What're you a drug dealer?" And went on about all the big busts he'd made doing that while running radar on the deserted stretch of highway he spent his life sitting next to in the dark. Then he called me an asshole and wrote me a headlight ticket and drove off. Course no body camera caught that professional interaction
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Course not, they're hoping to find something else to charge you with. I told a cop it was none of his business and he said "What're you a drug dealer?" And went on about all the big busts he'd made doing that while running radar on the deserted stretch of highway he spent his life sitting next to in the dark. Then he called me an asshole and wrote me a headlight ticket and drove off. Course no body camera caught that professional interaction

You're lucky, around here he might have dropped a
bag of cocaine in your car.
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 8:06:56 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
View Quote

No thanks, my local police hire rejects who were forced to quit other departments for misconduct.
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 8:09:25 AM EDT
[#30]
If I've learned anything watching The First 48:
1) Demand they blur your face on the interview video.
2) Exercise your right to a lawyer in the room.
3) Shut. The. Fuck. Up.

With those three simple steps, you'll walk from any crime.

No one who has a blurred face during the interview ever goes to jail, so just tell them you don't want your face on video.

Kharn
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 8:09:56 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
View Quote

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 8:10:31 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

No thanks, my local police hire rejects who were forced to quit other departments for misconduct.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

So, meet any of your former coworkers there?

Kharn
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 8:10:36 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
I talk to cops almost every day.  They're nice guys for the most part and try to do right.  If I'm a suspect in a crime,  speak with my attorney.   Feds, lol, speak with my attorney.   FBI bad.  Feds bad.  Learn it, live it.  Conservatives are the new German nazi Era jews.  Sad but true.
View Quote

How do you know IF you're a suspect in a crime?  The cops are not only allowed to lie to you, they're encouraged to.  Hell, the BATFE once put out an official training video on how to lie UNDER OATH about the accuracy of the NFA registry.

If I wouldn't trust Adam Schiff, I sure wouldn't trust a cop.
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 8:11:05 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
You suggest that if you're innocent with nothing to hide it's still bad to talk to the police, but post a video of a guilty guy.
The guilty guy is brought to justice, but that's bad in your mind
View Quote
I was thinking the same thing.

Strange flex.
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 8:11:32 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

View Quote

Same here, Betty Shelby is one.
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 8:16:24 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
well why do you think those helpful policemen wanted my name and driver ID
1-so they could later give me an award as wallet turner inner of the year
2-in case they found some reason later to accuse me of wrong doing related to the Wallet "someone used my credit card" "my ruby is missing" etc

How do you think those two cops (it took two of them for some reason) had felt if I demanded their names and badge numbers? Do you think they would have thought

1-He's going to get us personalized trophies
2-He's implying he thinks we're going to steal the cash
View Quote
For my agency it was so that we had an accurate Records Management System.
We want to make sure there aren't 3 "Aimlesses" in our system who are all the same penguin. A drivers license number is a unique number for that particular individual.
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 8:16:31 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Not all cops are bad.
View Quote

Is there an Android app that will tell me which ones are before they falsely detain, arrest, beat or murder me?  Asking for Carolina Obrycka, her boss and co-workers.
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 8:16:54 AM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 8:17:10 AM EDT
[#39]
I’ve talked myself out of a pair of handcuffs.  

Lesson of the story is if your wife has a complete mental health break down, calls 911 and says you’re trying to kill her; you’d better be able to calmly explain to the responding officers what is actually happening.
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 8:17:37 AM EDT
[#40]
I had recently received a traffic citation while driving across the country. I stopped at a shopping center that had a small little police station and on a whim decided I'd ask the one-armed officer at the desk if the citation counted since the citing officer had forgotten to get my signature. It seemed like a fairly harmless thing to do. As soon as I stepped into the little office this cop was immediately on guard I could sense the change in his posture and he insisted on taking down my driver's license and name and details, this of course after remote locking the door behind me so I couldn't get away. Then he proceeded to call in my information to his dispatcher to check and see if I had a record.

Now this occurred in Pocatello, Idaho, which is not exactly a hotbed for crime and I am not exactly the stereotypical criminal by appearance all I could think of was it was a hell of a community relations move.
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 8:20:52 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

We had Marc Lofton.
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 8:26:38 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
We want to make sure there aren't 3 "Aimlesses" in our system who are all the same penguin. A drivers license number is a unique number for that particular individual.
View Quote

In the end his ID isn't necessary for the report though, at least not here.  Make yourself the complainant and submit it, no issues.  Done it plenty of times.
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 8:28:59 AM EDT
[#43]
I try not to.
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 8:36:10 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

It is, actually. It helps the officer decide whether a ticket should be issued or an alternative like a verbal  warning be utilized
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Huh? What bearing does one's destination have on one's alleged offense? What are mitigating destinations? "Going to Grandma's house" vs "just out driving around". Or was that just sarcasm for a cop hoping the driver is going to say something incriminating?
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 8:37:17 AM EDT
[#45]
Why are all you guys getting stopped by the cops so much?
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 8:38:39 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
I found a wallet on the sidewalk and turned it in at the police station. They asked my name, which I gave them. They then demanded I give them my driver's license and wrote down my driver's license number.
View Quote

The horror.
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 8:40:30 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
View Quote

He's not a criminal, so maybe he doesn't want to be in your system?
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 8:49:06 AM EDT
[#48]
Homicide Life on the Street: The Box
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 8:56:41 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

In the end his ID isn't necessary for the report though, at least not here.  Make yourself the complainant and submit it, no issues.  Done it plenty of times.
View Quote

That would be an inaccurate report. The officer is not the complainant unless they actually found the property. A year or so ago I found proceeds from a burglary while out hiking with my group. I secured the property,  identified the original burglary case, wrote it up and returned the property to the rightful owner.
My agency didn't want me writing it up myself or doing any of that, because I was the actual complainant for the found property portion of the case. In the end they relented because every guy who was on shift that day was running their asses off with a backlog of calls.

Every agency has their own policies when it comes to reports, how they're handled, what's included in the report, etc. Then you break it down even further and you have individual supervisors with their own ideas on what should be in a thorough report and who won't approve the report unless they see those elements in the document. You learn pretty quickly to do a report with both of those requirements in mind. Or, you can have reports sit in your inbox because your supervisor won't approve them. It's up to the officer.....
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 8:59:33 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

Huh? What bearing does one's destination have on one's alleged offense? What are mitigating destinations? "Going to Grandma's house" vs "just out driving around". Or was that just sarcasm for a cop hoping the driver is going to say something incriminating?
View Quote

Those are just two of the routine questions I would ask. Taken in their entirety the question and answers give the officer an idea of what action to take in response to the observed violation. I gave a third of the drivers I stopped a warning instead of a citation, in large part because of the answers to my questions.
Page / 5
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top