Quoted:

Like on a couch?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Quoted:

lol
If my opponent lounges I may have a chance.

Like on a couch?

Is this before or after taking the spearman out? Is it a casting couch?
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 2:56:31 PM EDT
[#2]
And I mentioned earlier about the spike to kill an armored opponent on the ground, here is a few examples of it , in French it was the misericorde, or known as a mercy dagger
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 4:56:37 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

lol
If my opponent lounges I may have a chance.

Like on a couch?

Maybe he thought “spearman” being “taken out” by “swordsman” were euphemisms.
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 5:07:59 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Maybe he thought “spearman” being “taken out” by “swordsman” were euphemisms.
View Quote

Knights lounge
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 9:11:40 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Other than a feint, the man in armor is the target, no?, it would be like attacking the weapon as so many Hollywood movies show
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Sure it is!  That shield is a big target and easy to hit!

Other than a feint, the man in armor is the target, no?, it would be like attacking the weapon as so many Hollywood movies show

So you are saying if I try and poke the back side of his T-shirt while in front of him, that wouldn't work?
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 9:15:45 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

A mine is hardly a good choice in this situation, as it would require pre planning and tech not generally avalible to a medieval spearman
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
then a 'silly' but highly effective solution to a silly question should be accepted with grace.

A mine is hardly a good choice in this situation, as it would require pre planning and tech not generally avalible to a medieval spearman

and yet you are asking on an interent forum.  And again, no where did you state the spearmen was medieval, or that you had to limit yourself to medieval weapons -  just no projectile weapons, no vehicles, and 1 on 1.  

As far as the given scenario, you could be facing a spearman in the walmart parking lot tomorrow.

You absolutely left open the option of mines, weed-wackers, chainsaws, and pogo-sticks.  Don't be mad because someone came up with a good solution.

The way I see it, put the mine in the ground, and keep it between you and the spearman.  He can either approach and maybe step on the mine, or he can throw his spear at you, or he can just leave you alone.  So there's all sorts of ways to win.
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 9:19:40 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

See post below yours
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Yes, but now you are adding in rules.  You never said 'a man armed with a spear and dagger' you said a man armed with a spear.  What's next?  Include that Spearman Spear&daggerman has a pet attack wolf?

Also, spearman starting out with spear in his hand would be slightly behind the curve if he has to drop spear and fish out his dagger vs already having the best weapon in hand.

See post below yours

So if spearman is allowed to actually have multiple weapons, then shouldn't the opposition be allowed to list multiple weapons as well, as long as they stay in the original parameters?

So spearman is actually spearman with dagger.  Well then Mine-layer-man should be able to have multiple mines, an entrenching tool, a spare knife, some camo, a tent, matches, marshmallows, graham crackers, and chocolate.
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 9:25:34 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Who will tire faster, the guy with the spear, or the guy toting a sword and board?  Shields be heavy, yo... or so I've been told.

That said, an overlooked part of this conversation is that, in reality,  most one-on-one fights (whether between our fictional sword vs spear opponents, a couple of thugs in a knife fight, or a fistfight at the local ranch party kegger) are really short, and the first to land a solid blow almost always wins the fight. For the most part, prolonged duels are the product of hollywood.

Nobody says a spear is a magic wand that makes problems disappear, but in a contest that requires contact, having a reach advantage is, in fact, an advantage.  That won't mean anything if you don't know how to use it effectively, but that's a whole different discussion. Having more skill is an even bigger advantage, but goes both ways.  There are a number of reasons why the pointy stick was a mainstay of organized warfare from the beginning of written history until the age of the firearm (arguably, up to the 19th century, firearms were mostly noisemakers that eventually became clubs and spears once it inevitably became a melee anyway).

It's easy to imagine a hundred scenarios where either side wins in this hypothetical situation, and most of them are feasible.  You can insert a million "what ifs" that give advantage to either contestant.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Throw your pommel at him!

Seriously, in an actual melee fight, I think you're screwed. If he has a pike he can easily hit you from out of your weapon range, unless of course you also have a pike.

So run, run far away! Pray if he decides to chase you, he tires out first, THEN maybe try and rush in for the kill.

I would disagree with the supposed advantage of a spearman against a sword and shield, it's not so easy hitting a sword and shield fighter with a spear as some would believe

Who will tire faster, the guy with the spear, or the guy toting a sword and board?  Shields be heavy, yo... or so I've been told.

That said, an overlooked part of this conversation is that, in reality,  most one-on-one fights (whether between our fictional sword vs spear opponents, a couple of thugs in a knife fight, or a fistfight at the local ranch party kegger) are really short, and the first to land a solid blow almost always wins the fight. For the most part, prolonged duels are the product of hollywood.

Nobody says a spear is a magic wand that makes problems disappear, but in a contest that requires contact, having a reach advantage is, in fact, an advantage.  That won't mean anything if you don't know how to use it effectively, but that's a whole different discussion. Having more skill is an even bigger advantage, but goes both ways.  There are a number of reasons why the pointy stick was a mainstay of organized warfare from the beginning of written history until the age of the firearm (arguably, up to the 19th century, firearms were mostly noisemakers that eventually became clubs and spears once it inevitably became a melee anyway).

It's easy to imagine a hundred scenarios where either side wins in this hypothetical situation, and most of them are feasible.  You can insert a million "what ifs" that give advantage to either contestant.

You realize most shields were pretty light, right?  Like a large viking style shield might be 10 pounds at the most, with a lot of smaller wooden sheilds being around 4 pounds.  Something like a native american leather shield is even lighter
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 9:53:11 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

That's were it gets complicated, 1000s of combinations of arms and armor, but my scenario would assume both armored head to toe, 14 to 15 century? European, that's where the thought in this comes in,
I'm mainly questioning  the supremacy of the spear over everything else
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
What kind of swordsman? What kind of spearman?

Middle Kingdom Egyptian spearman wearing nothing but a loincloth with a dinky bronze spear, hoplite, or 17th century pikeman? Very different gear, very different weapon.

Sherdan swordsmen, legionnaires, medieval knights, 19th century cavalry sabre? All very different swordsmen.

There weren't any restrictions on era, yet both weapons have a spectrum of development that spans centuries.

That's were it gets complicated, 1000s of combinations of arms and armor, but my scenario would assume both armored head to toe, 14 to 15 century? European, that's where the thought in this comes in,
I'm mainly questioning  the supremacy of the spear over everything else

Well that's easy!

A basic spear isn't very effective vs 15th century full armor.  So two combatants, both in full plate, one with a spear and one with weapon X.

Weapon X could be
Bec De Corbine
Lucerine Hammer
Pole Axe

and that would give the non-spear person a very large advantage.

Something like a flanged mace or warhammer intended to be used with just one hand wouldn't be as advantageous, but still would work better than just a traditional spear.

Link Posted: 1/27/2021 10:17:48 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Biggest factor there is all the mythology, folklore, and emotional nonsense associated with samurai (and many Asian things) in American culture.  Oddly enough, there is very little of that associated with conquistadores.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
My other idea for a thread was a Japanese samurai against a Spanish or Portuguese soldier ala 1600, a lot of controversy on that one

Biggest factor there is all the mythology, folklore, and emotional nonsense associated with samurai (and many Asian things) in American culture.  Oddly enough, there is very little of that associated with conquistadores.

When the people of Japan got access to western saber type swords they'd buy them/steal them and remove the hilt then convert it to a japanese style hilt and grip.  Why?  Because the curved one-sided blade was 'close enough' to a Katana in structure, and the steel was much better.
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 11:17:59 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
My other idea for a thread was a Japanese samurai against a Spanish or Portuguese soldier ala 1600, a lot of controversy on that one
Edit...... Rapier vs katana
View Quote

in a marquess of queensbury world where two gentlepersons agree to a genteel duel in perfectly fair conditions, the rapier makes a mockery of any other sword.  there's just no competition.

in the middle of a crowded city where people are bumping into you and you have no idea when you're going to be attacked, a katana is going to be through you even if you start drawing your rapier first.  on an armored battlefield where viable thrust targets are small and easily covered, the katana is going to be concussing you even if it doesn't manage to cut through your helmet.

this isn't to say that one sword is objectively superior to another.  like any weapon, a sword type fits into an environmental niche, and has to be considered in that context.  sometimes you need a rifle.  other times you need a pistol.
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 11:19:45 PM EDT
[#12]
The shorter two handed spear is maybe the best weapon.

There are videos of HEMA guys dominating with it vs the other combos.
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 11:26:19 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View Quote

in italian longsword, one is taught to strike the weapon.  fiore's second and third plays of the elephant, IIRC.    when one is behind in tempo, instead of throwing up an 'oh shit' block, fendente into the other player's sword, driving it into the ground prior to a false edge sottani and then finishing mandritto fendente.
Link Posted: 1/28/2021 4:21:33 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
pike -------> spear
View Quote
For some uses. Using a pike precludes the use of a shield. Pros and cons.
Link Posted: 1/28/2021 9:19:44 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

You realize most shields were pretty light, right?  Like a large viking style shield might be 10 pounds at the most, with a lot of smaller wooden sheilds being around 4 pounds.  Something like a native american leather shield is even lighter
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Throw your pommel at him!

Seriously, in an actual melee fight, I think you're screwed. If he has a pike he can easily hit you from out of your weapon range, unless of course you also have a pike.

So run, run far away! Pray if he decides to chase you, he tires out first, THEN maybe try and rush in for the kill.

I would disagree with the supposed advantage of a spearman against a sword and shield, it's not so easy hitting a sword and shield fighter with a spear as some would believe

A ten pound shield maneuvers very slowly and gets heavy fast in a fight, as someone like Stutzmech can verify. Lighter shields move better but protect less, and a properly used spear transitions from high to low very quickly, giving our spearman opportunities to attack low (to degrade mobility, not to mention a number of arteries, etc.) as well as the vitals in the head or torso, this is particularly relevant if we’re talking about light armor.

It’s important to note that, even in the context of (heavy) armored combat, that repeated head blows can disable an opponent as well, even without penetration. Angled surfaces can mitigate this, so the type/period of headgear is significant.

Again, there are so many variables that it’s almost dumb to even speculate advantage without making decisions on the gear of each opponent beforehand... simply saying sword ve spear, who wins is effectively meaningless.
Link Posted: 1/28/2021 10:42:58 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

A ten pound shield maneuvers very slowly and gets heavy fast in a fight, as someone like Stutzmech can verify. Lighter shields move better but protect less, and a properly used spear transitions from high to low very quickly, giving our spearman opportunities to attack low (to degrade mobility, not to mention a number of arteries, etc.) as well as the vitals in the head or torso, this is particularly relevant if we’re talking about light armor.

It’s important to note that, even in the context of (heavy) armored combat, that repeated head blows can disable an opponent as well, even without penetration. Angled surfaces can mitigate this, so the type/period of headgear is significant.

Again, there are so many variables that it’s almost dumb to even speculate advantage without making decisions on the gear of each opponent beforehand... simply saying sword ve spear, who wins is effectively meaningless.
View Quote

Most "modern" heavy armor sword fighting takes advantage of materials, thin strong plywood, aluminum etc. my large shield weighs about 10 lbs, have seen up to 20 lbs on some re-creations of historical shields.

There's been a huge amount of experimentation in armor and weapons in modern armored fighting, a lot of new things have been learned, recreating old techniques is always fun but limiting sometimes, I am always a proponent of actually putting the armor on and experiencing both single and melee combat, I think used in conjunction with reading history it can give a lot of insight into historical fighting.

Many different fighting disciplines get hung up on which is best, I think that's a mistake, open mind is best and actually trying it live works well, but we all love a good argument, the only real way it seems is to try it out, my opinion is its what's in the fighters head that makes the most difference
Link Posted: 1/28/2021 10:50:14 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

in italian longsword, one is taught to strike the weapon.  fiore's second and third plays of the elephant, IIRC.    when one is behind in tempo, instead of throwing up an 'oh shit' block, fendente into the other player's sword, driving it into the ground prior to a false edge sottani and then finishing mandritto fendente.
View Quote

In that school yes, but there are many different techniques, all are valid I suppose ,but limiting I would say, it would be entertaining to have us all in here try our different styles on a field
Link Posted: 1/28/2021 10:54:41 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

in a marquess of queensbury world where two gentlepersons agree to a genteel duel in perfectly fair conditions, the rapier makes a mockery of any other sword.  there's just no competition.

in the middle of a crowded city where people are bumping into you and you have no idea when you're going to be attacked, a katana is going to be through you even if you start drawing your rapier first.  on an armored battlefield where viable thrust targets are small and easily covered, the katana is going to be concussing you even if it doesn't manage to cut through your helmet.

this isn't to say that one sword is objectively superior to another.  like any weapon, a sword type fits into an environmental niche, and has to be considered in that context.  sometimes you need a rifle.  other times you need a pistol.
View Quote

Agree, only way to settle is to try it ,and still it comes down to the men actually doing it, so many variables
Link Posted: 1/28/2021 10:58:15 AM EDT
[#19]
Show the Spearman a picture of naked Hilary and when he is on his knees puking his guts out, walk up and lop off his head with her crusty dildo.
Link Posted: 1/28/2021 11:04:27 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Show the Spearman a picture of naked Hilary and when he is on his knees puking his guts out, walk up and lop off his head with her crusty dildo.
View Quote

'Lopping" heads off is a most difficult thing to do in armor and I would say most armored combat results in massive joint and muscle damage and internal injury, leading to bleeding out internally as well as just giving out due too exhaustion and yielding or being given mercy whether through the spike or capture
Link Posted: 1/28/2021 11:09:07 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
close the distance and use a short sword.  Gotta get inside his swing distance.
View Quote

+1.

Haven't you seen Troy?

Achilles v. Boagrius
Link Posted: 1/28/2021 11:52:54 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Most "modern" heavy armor sword fighting takes advantage of materials, thin strong plywood, aluminum etc. my large shield weighs about 10 lbs, have seen up to 20 lbs on some re-creations of historical shields.

There's been a huge amount of experimentation in armor and weapons in modern armored fighting, a lot of new things have been learned, recreating old techniques is always fun but limiting sometimes, I am always a proponent of actually putting the armor on and experiencing both single and melee combat, I think used in conjunction with reading history it can give a lot of insight into historical fighting.

Many different fighting disciplines get hung up on which is best, I think that's a mistake, open mind is best and actually trying it live works well, but we all love a good argument, the only real way it seems is to try it out, my opinion is its what's in the fighters head that makes the most difference
View Quote

Do you actually do much melee? What little I’ve seen is more of the “excuse me sir, you are engaged” school, rather than whacking someone in the back of the head while they’re fighting someone else.  Obviously this is to lower the chance of serious injury, but isn’t really the way fights work.

I’ve seen some YouTube vids that are more of a free-for-all, but that seems rare.
Link Posted: 1/28/2021 12:00:54 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

+1.

Haven't you seen Troy?

Achilles v. Boagrius
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
close the distance and use a short sword.  Gotta get inside his swing distance.

+1.

Haven't you seen Troy?

Achilles v. Boagrius

Uh, nothing of the kind happens in the video you posted.  The big guy chucks spears at Achilles, then stands there like a lump while he gets killed.  People who are too stupid to move lose fights... no surprise there.
Link Posted: 1/28/2021 12:02:32 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Do you actually do much melee? What little I’ve seen is more of the “excuse me sir, you are engaged” school, rather than whacking someone in the back of the head while they’re fighting someone else.  Obviously this is to lower the chance of serious injury, but isn’t really the way fights work.
View Quote

First couple of years 90% single or tournament, then discovered the fun of melee with 2or3 up to thousands, rules for most groups is eye contact, the more realist you try to make it injurys go way up
IMO, eye contact is best, the "excuse me" is taking honor and chivalry to far, blunted steel is always best for 1 on 1, never done a live or blunted in melee, I would say I have easily thousands of hrs in single and 100s in melee, and doesn't count pell time
Edit for spelling
Link Posted: 1/28/2021 12:17:01 PM EDT
[#25]
For anybody thinking of trying it, # is good fitted armor, #2 a good experienced trainer, #3 pick your sparring partner very carefully, #4 a good orthopedic doctor
Link Posted: 1/28/2021 12:17:19 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Agree, only way to settle is to try it ,and still it comes down to the men actually doing it, so many variables
View Quote

yeah, my money would be on you and DK to take everyone out.
Link Posted: 1/28/2021 12:18:15 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

yeah, my money would be on you and DK to take everyone out.
View Quote

Age and experience
Link Posted: 1/28/2021 12:28:27 PM EDT
[#28]
Difficult to put into words the feeling of standing with 100 of your buds in a shield wall on a bridge of hay bales repulsing charge after charge of a couple of hundred opponents, the sounds and yells, the ducking and blocking shots and sometimes getting a face shot from them and getting knocked off your feet, and doing this for hours, or taking a spear and jumping in between the shield walls and playing hero, can be glorious since we don't actually die
Link Posted: 1/28/2021 12:43:33 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

First couple of years 90% single or tournament, then discovered the fun of melee with 2or3 up to thousands, rules for most groups is eye contact, the more realist you try to make it injurys go way up
IMO, eye contact is best, the "excuse me" is taking honor and chivalry to far, blunted steel is always best for 1 on 1, never done a live or blunted in melee, I would say I have easily thousands of hrs in single and 100s in melee, and doesn't count pell time
Edit for spelling
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Edit for spelling

I exaggerate the “excuse me” stuff a little- it reminds me of stuff like the Philistenes (Thracians? that era, you probably know more than I do), whose concept of war was basically a series of single combats until one side ran out of people...  it amazes me that such a thing could actually happen (and that they didn’t immediately get smoked by the first group to say “screw your rules”... though I can’t recall ever seeing a family of philistines at the park having a picnic either, so I suppose that says something...)
Link Posted: 1/28/2021 1:13:27 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

I exaggerate the “excuse me” stuff a little- it reminds me of stuff like the Philistenes (Thracians? that era, you probably know more than I do), whose concept of war was basically a series of single combats until one side ran out of people...  it amazes me that such a thing could actually happen (and that they didn’t immediately get smoked by the first group to say “screw your rules”... though I can’t recall ever seeing a family of philistines at the park having a picnic either, so I suppose that says something...)
View Quote

Any real armored combat would probably have few rules if any, but in medieval and Renaissance combat they developed rules for tournament and duel that sometimes are quite complex and hard to figure out without thinking of context of the time and culture, as far as what I'd call "eastern" fighting I would yield to people like siren song for opinions on that, my opinions are more on western and early combat and more towards the actual use of the arms and armor, I only present myself as kind of a student of the use of arms and armor and not as a historian of it,while trying to approximate what it was actually like ,modern fighting probably is nothing like medieval/ancient war
Link Posted: 1/28/2021 1:33:53 PM EDT
[#31]
Life of Brian Colosseum fight
Link Posted: 1/28/2021 1:36:59 PM EDT
[#32]
Breed of Peace, not a projectile weapon.
Link Posted: 1/28/2021 1:39:21 PM EDT
[#33]

Funny and probably closer to the truth than many think, Roman coliseum fighting probably had a lot of pomp and show similar to modern wrestling while being brutal and bloody
Link Posted: 1/28/2021 1:40:12 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Breed of Peace, not a projectile weapon.
View Quote

Would not a dog be a second opponent ?
Link Posted: 1/28/2021 2:13:52 PM EDT
[#35]
On a funnier note, watching a fellow in full plate running to a porta-john and using it is funny as hell, as well as using it yourself ,the mechanics of it are interesting and hilarious
Link Posted: 1/28/2021 5:23:31 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

Any real armored combat would probably have few rules if any, but in medieval and Renaissance combat they developed rules for tournament and duel that sometimes are quite complex and hard to figure out without thinking of context of the time and culture, as far as what I'd call "eastern" fighting I would yield to people like siren song for opinions on that, my opinions are more on western and early combat and more towards the actual use of the arms and armor, I only present myself as kind of a student of the use of arms and armor and not as a historian of it,while trying to approximate what it was actually like ,modern fighting probably is nothing like medieval/ancient war
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I just saw that stuff reading about early Egyptian infantry last weekend.
Link Posted: 1/28/2021 5:25:36 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

View Quote

Off to look up Egyptian fighting I know they sucked against the Romans
Link Posted: 1/28/2021 5:31:25 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Their early history seems to be a chronicle of suckdom.  They got their asses kicked for a while, learned how to make bows that sucked less and chariots, and managed to at least keep their borders relatively stable.  I see nothing so far that leads me to believe that they were worth a shit.

Here’s a loincloth and a shitty bronze spear. March your barefoot self to war, because now you’re elite shock infantry.

Oh great and mighty pharaoh- I see my prophecy of your great victory made real. On my journey in, I saw the desert littered with the bodies of your foes.

Those were our troops?  I’ll be going now...
Link Posted: 1/28/2021 5:32:55 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

View Quote

Went and looked up some, they were into stick fighting too, with a plank attached to the arm as a shield interesting
Link Posted: 1/28/2021 5:35:04 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

Went and looked up some, they were into stick fighting too, with a plank attached to the arm as a shield interesting
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/498772/image-1800897.pnghttps://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/498772/image-1800898.png
View Quote

They were so fierce that pharoahs hired foreign mercenaries as bodyguards...
Link Posted: 1/28/2021 5:37:04 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

They were so fierce that pharoahs hired foreign mercenaries as bodyguards...
View Quote

There was a lot of that, the Norse were good at that, traveling down south for the weather probably
Link Posted: 1/28/2021 5:37:14 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
A shield and a sword.
View Quote

This. SCA in the 70's a lot. If you can deflect the spear even a bit, you just run up the shaft and get the bastard. Gotta be quick, but forward run beats backwards run every time.
Link Posted: 1/28/2021 5:38:19 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

This. SCA in the 70's a lot. If you can deflect the spear even a bit, you just run up the shaft and get the bastard. Gotta be quick, but forward run beats backwards run every time.
View Quote

Somebody else knows! Cool
Link Posted: 1/28/2021 5:40:49 PM EDT
[#44]
Outnumber him.
Link Posted: 1/28/2021 5:43:48 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Outnumber him.
View Quote

Forgetting the rules, that is the best way, but everybody always bunches up and attacks as a unit, best is to surround and attack at the same time from all directions...edit... That's assuming he does the stupid. And stands still
Link Posted: 1/28/2021 6:03:34 PM EDT
[#46]
Link Posted: 1/28/2021 6:06:36 PM EDT
[#47]

That's interesting I wonder if it was used in warfare?, looks like a bayonet mounted to a metal tube?...edit... Maybe they did not have rifles to train with?
And edit for pics
Link Posted: 1/28/2021 8:10:54 PM EDT
[#48]
British Home Guard, surplus bayonets welded to steel pipes.  Hundreds of thousands of militia were activated after Dunkirk but the government had jack squat to arm them with.  Said to have had a negative effect on troop morale and drew ridicule in parliament so the government tried to pretend they were a joke gone awry and had never been issued.
Link Posted: 1/28/2021 8:18:11 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
British Home Guard, surplus bayonets welded to steel pipes.  Hundreds of thousands of militia were activated after Dunkirk but the government had jack squat to arm them with.  Said to have had a negative effect on troop morale and drew ridicule in parliament so the government tried to pretend they were a joke gone awry and had never been issued.
View Quote

Against firearms would be stupid but would make a mean melee weapon
Page / 9
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top