[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Which is why a mine is a great option.
View Quote

Your just trying to confuse a simple sword and shieldman now
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 12:21:38 PM EDT
[#2]
Expose him to media imagery bereft of positive role models that look like him.

Apparently that's the worst thing you can do to anyone.
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 12:28:13 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

It's a wet grassy field no rocks and no projectiles.....rules
View Quote

I make Yo Mama jokes to get him mad and rush me. he slips and falls. I stab him with sword or my own spear.
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 12:29:15 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

I make Yo Mama jokes to get him mad and rush me. he slips and falls. I stab him with sword or my own spear.
View Quote

Valid option and has been used
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 12:31:33 PM EDT
[#5]
Correct answer to the question:

Be Achilles. Only Paris with a bow can slay Achilles.
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 12:34:22 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

View Quote

Loved that movie and actually his attack was great, kinda shows that quickest with the mostest generally wins
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 12:36:42 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

yeah, naginata was kind of considered a 'women's weapon,' because it was so effective that it could make a woman competitive with well-trained, armored swordsmen.  
from one of the best koryu channels on YT:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VeLbsTltIi4

men who specialized in naginata were deeply feared, so i don't know why it wasn't more common.
View Quote

Naginata (or other bladed spears) are scary.

As with most hand to hand combat, the fighter who can control the distance usually wins.  Having range gives you a slight advantage in that you can strike first and have a slightly larger margin for error.
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 12:37:07 PM EDT
[#8]
How come nobody's said the historical answer of paying Danegeld to go away?
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 12:38:01 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 12:38:51 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
View Quote

Well, good tactic, usually swarm them and take them down then ransom them back
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 12:40:03 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
View Quote

Because Fuck Daneland.
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 12:40:35 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
View Quote

You can always hire mercenaries (with projectile weapons) to make them go away.
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 12:41:39 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View Quote

My mama dipped me in a river, but not the right one.
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 12:41:52 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

I played kendo for a number of years, so my ownership of Japanese swords is totally justified.  

Of course, that doesn't really generalize to anything practical.  We used to joke in the dojo that kendo attracted lots of interesting and mellow people (in contrast to many other martial arts) precisely because it has virtually NO practical application.
View Quote

It's damn near impossible to practice with real bladed weapons and we can just aproximate true edge weapon combat, though you can try with armor but it usually doesn't turn out well.....edit.. Could be practical in pool hall fights with pool cues
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 1:09:32 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

You're forcefully projecting flame...
View Quote

So a flamethrower is a projecting weapon. OP said "no projectile weapons".
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 1:14:58 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

It's damn near impossible to practice with real bladed weapons and we can just aproximate true edge weapon combat, though you can try with armor but it usually doesn't turn out well.....edit.. Could be practical in pool hall fights with pool cues
View Quote

I got over a hundred stitches from some wannabe gang banger trying to gut me like a fish when I was a kid. Does that count as playing with real bladed weapons?  I wouldn’t recommend it. Some armor would have been handy.  I’ve also been whacked in the noggin with a baseball bat. In that case, a 9mm would have come in handy.  I should have had some stitches that time too, but I wouldn’t have the bitchin’ scar...
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 1:16:57 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

I got over a hundred stitches from some wannabe gang banger trying to gut me like a fish when I was a kid. Does that count as playing with real bladed weapons?  I wouldn’t recommend it. Some armor would have been handy.
View Quote

Ya, I lost my spleen to a bastard sword at a backyard practice, that and ribs and broken fingers
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 1:20:22 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Ya, I lost my spleen to a bastard sword at a backyard practice, that and ribs and broken fingers
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I got over a hundred stitches from some wannabe gang banger trying to gut me like a fish when I was a kid. Does that count as playing with real bladed weapons?  I wouldn’t recommend it. Some armor would have been handy.

I am a veteran of many backyard battles, but entirely with simulated weapons. I’m nowhere near your league, however.
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 1:22:27 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

I am a veteran of many backyard battles, but entirely with simulated weapons.
View Quote

Almost all martial arts practice is with simulated weapons though they are best when they inflict some pain
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 1:27:51 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Almost all martial arts practice is with simulated weapons though they are best when they inflict some pain
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I am a veteran of many backyard battles, but entirely with simulated weapons.

Did competitive martial arts too...

I can’t hang with your level of commitment, though.
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 1:30:41 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View Quote

Ya, the best all around fighters would use a mixture of the arts, in mine boxing, eastern footwork and anything to increase stamina was good as well as developing a calm attitude
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 1:32:56 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Ya, the best all around fighters would use a mixture of the arts, in mine boxing, eastern footwork and anything to increase stamina was good as well as developing a calm attitude
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

My opinion (worth what you paid for it) is that any kind of combat is 20% mindset, 30% conditioning, 40% training, and 10% dumb luck.
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 1:37:27 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

My opinion (worth what you paid for it) is that any kind of combat is 20% mindset, 30% conditioning, 40% training, and 10% dumb luck.
View Quote

Different for everybody, any of the arts have a danger of getting to "set" in it, you always come across somebody doing something your unfamiliar with, I've seen guys that are new do stuff that is completely unpredictable and come away with a win sometimes, trying to learn everything is best though impossible, mindset is probably most important
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 2:23:16 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Interesting scenario to discuss though, a lot of assumptions on fighting with melee weapons and armor in here
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Well, yeah... my point is that, for some reason, almost all of these conversations center on the weak assumption that one person is incapable of controlling the distance (which is key in any hand to hand fight).

A one man phalanx is not very effective, but someone who is as mobile as you, but with longer reach, is a pain in the ass to fight.

Interesting scenario to discuss though, a lot of assumptions on fighting with melee weapons and armor in here

As the saying goes, "If you want to learn to fight, you have to fight". Pretty obvious how many people making assumptions in this thread, have never tried this type of fighting (which is completely understandable. This sort of stuff is a niche, relegated to a tiny percentage of enthusiasts/nutters ).

When you actually try things out, you quickly find out the difference between things that work, or don't.

Eg. Short sword and buckler vs spear. Couple guys thought, "OK, big shield is a little slower and more cumbersome to wield. How about a small, light, fast implement to deflect the spear, while closing fast to get inside the spearman's 'swing range'?". Lol. It didn't take many tries for the 2 different guys who had that idea, to discover that their reflexes/reactions aren't fast enough to avoid getting poked before they can close.

As described in that video posted above, a spearman can very easily/quickly vary what he wants to target. It isn't difficult to feint the initial movement so the guy with the buckler never even successfully deflects the first thrust, much less deflect multiple fast thrusts.
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 2:29:03 PM EDT
[#25]
I run at him in a serpentine fashion
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 2:29:14 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

As the saying goes, "If you want to learn to fight, you have to fight". Pretty obvious how many people making assumptions in this thread, have never tried this type of fighting (which is completely understandable. This sort of stuff is a niche, relegated to a tiny percentage of enthusiasts/nutters ).

When you actually try things out, you quickly find out the difference between things that work, or don't.

Eg. Short sword and buckler vs spear. Couple guys thought, "OK, big shield is a little slower and more cumbersome to wield. How about a small, light, fast implement to deflect the spear, while closing fast to get inside the spearman's 'swing range'?". Lol. It didn't take many tries for the 2 different guys who had that idea, to discover that their reflexes/reactions aren't fast enough to avoid getting poked before they can close.

As described in that video posted above, a spearman can very easily/quickly vary what he wants to target. It isn't difficult to feint the initial movement so the guy with the buckler never even successfully deflects the first thrust, much less deflect multiple fast thrusts.
View Quote

Feints work both ways, as well as different shield designs, boils down to skill and stamina, we should not base all assumptions on a few Internet videos with no actual experience
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 2:30:25 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
I run at him in a serpentine fashion
View Quote

Entertaining but rarely works well
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 2:40:37 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I played kendo for a number of years, so my ownership of Japanese swords is totally justified.  

Of course, that doesn't really generalize to anything practical.  We used to joke in the dojo that kendo attracted lots of interesting and mellow people (in contrast to many other martial arts) precisely because it has virtually NO practical application.

Not particularly.

As mentioned, I did both Kendo and Iaido (as well as Chinese and Filipino weapons styles). Kendo isn't the best way to use a pool cue. Spear techniques are better. A few years back, there was a thread with a video of a pool hall fight. The loser took a pool cue through the eye that killed him.

Pool cues aren't sturdy enough for Kendo strikes, aside from the stab/thrust. Spear techniques exploit the distance advantage of the cue's length, with thrusts that can deliver plenty of force. Alternatively, break the cue and use the weighted back end for Escrima/Kali. (Yeah, we game theoried this one too. Spent one summer in a lot of pool halls in middle school, and got to see the types who frequent those, lol).
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 2:41:55 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Not particularly.

As mentioned, I did both Kendo and Iaido (as well as Chinese and Filipino weapons styles). Kendo isn't the best way to use a pool cue. Spear techniques are better. A few years back, there was a thread with a video of a pool hall fight. The loser took a pool cue through the eye that killed him.

Pool cues aren't sturdy enough for Kendo strikes, aside from the stab/thrust. Spear techniques exploit the distance advantage of the cue's length, with thrusts that can deliver plenty of force. Alternatively, break the cue and use the weighted back end for Escrima/Kali. (Yeah, we game theoried this one too. Spent one summer in a lot of pool halls in middle school, and got to see the types who frequent those, lol).
View Quote

It was a joke
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 2:43:30 PM EDT
[#30]
Just purely speculating here, as I depend on vastly more modern implements for this sort of thing:

All melee-type weapons are going to be highly skill dependent, that is largely why weapons like the crossbow (and later the firearm) became so popular.  Not necessarily the same type of skill though.

I would think that success with the sword or sword/shield would be far more a function of pure strength, while a polearm would rely more on hand/eye coordination, timing, and precision of movement.  Naturally both would be largely way more dependent on footwork than most people think.

I also will speculate that one-on-one armed combat was probably pretty rare... back in the days of these types of weapons just like it is now.  There has probably been more analysis and study done about this sort of fighting in the last hundred years than at time in history, because of historical interest.
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 2:46:47 PM EDT
[#31]
light saber
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 2:52:22 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Just purely speculating here, as I depend on vastly more modern implements for this sort of thing:

All melee-type weapons are going to be highly skill dependent, that is largely why weapons like the crossbow (and later the firearm) became so popular.  Not necessarily the same type of skill though.

I would think that success with the sword or sword/shield would be far more a function of pure strength, while a polearm would rely more on hand/eye coordination, timing, and precision of movement.  Naturally both would be largely way more dependent on footwork than most people think.

I also will speculate that one-on-one armed combat was probably pretty rare... back in the days of these types of weapons just like it is now.  There has probably been more analysis and study done about this sort of fighting in the last hundred years than at time in history, because of historical interest.
View Quote

There is so many different styles and weapons as well as armor types that you can't reduce it to simple rules, I believe all the weapons are very dependent on practice and mindset, strength figures in to it but not as much as people believe, most early Combatants I believe we're not well skilled, the elite would have the time to devote to training and acquiring good armor and 1 on 1 would not be common outside of tournament
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 2:54:05 PM EDT
[#33]
With your rules, the attacker might as well just lay down and die
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 2:55:39 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

View Quote

Ouch.
Quoted:

View Quote

Yep. That's why the replica/simulated weapons we used, evolved the way they did.

We wanted them to weigh, balance and feel as close to the real thing as possible, when wielding them, while minimizing the risk of injury, but not eliminating the negative reinforcement of pain.

Since most of us who engaged in weapons sparring, also actively sparred hand-to-hand either full or heavy contact with gloves, the general sentiment was, "Bruises? Whatever. Suck it up. But let's try to avoid stitches and/or hospital trips".

So, helmets and padding/armor on the body/arms/legs, and rattan weapons padded with dense foam, using the lead tape to replicate the weight and balance of real weapons.

Hadn't heard of the Dog Brothers back then, but we figured that regularly breaking fingers, wrists, kneecaps etc. wasn't particularly conducive to continued training (much less losing a spleen or other bodyparts ).
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 2:55:59 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
With your rules, the attacker might as well just lay down and die
View Quote

Would disagree, both would have a fair chance at victory depending on skill
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 2:59:58 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

View Quote

This is accurate.  oda nobunaga briefly lamented that a gunner with little training could defeat a guy who had spent a lifetime perfecting his craft.  then he began to make use of the idea.  i've read estimates that half the long arms on the planet at the time were on the field at sekigahara.  

this is backwards.  a thousand days of spear, ten thousand days of sword.  swords are much more complicated to use, and most sword systems emphasize finesse over strength.  paradoxically, polearms are much more effective in general.
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 3:00:58 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

Ouch.

Yep. That's why the replica/simulated weapons we used, evolved the way they did.

We wanted them to weigh, balance and feel as close to the real thing as possible, while wielding them, while minimizing the risk of injury, but not eliminating the negative reinforcement of pain.

Since most of us who engaged in weapons sparring, also actively sparred hand-to-hand either full or heavy contact with gloves, the general sentiment was, "Bruises? Whatever. Suck it up. But let's try to avoid stitches and/or hospital trips".

So, helmets and padding/armor on the body/arms/legs, and rattan weapons padded with dense foam, using the lead tape to replicate the weight and balance of real weapons.

Hadn't heard of the Dog Brothers back then, but we figured that regularly breaking fingers, wrists, kneecaps etc. wasn't particularly conducive to continued training (much less losing a spleen or other bodyparts ).
View Quote

The foam on rattan hinders the ability to "call" a shot,  a little pain or even bruising can be a good motivator, generally good gauntlets/basket hilts help with the fingers, but any sport brings a chance of injury
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 3:03:38 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

This is accurate.  oda nobunaga briefly lamented that a gunner with little training could defeat a guy who had spent a lifetime perfecting his craft.  then he began to make use of the idea.  i've read estimates that half the long arms on the planet at the time were on the field at sekigahara.  

this is backwards.  a thousand days of spear, ten thousand days of sword.  swords are much more complicated to use, and most sword systems emphasize finesse over strength.  paradoxically, polearms are much more effective in general.
View Quote

What s your opinion on "rote" learning versus thinking on your feet and adapting, curious
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 3:04:40 PM EDT
[#39]
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 3:13:45 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

What s your opinion on "rote" learning versus thinking on your feet and adapting, curious
View Quote

The rote learning is needed to think quickly enough. You memorize patterns then execute them. If you had to think of what every foot, head, hand, body movement was or meant you could never act or react fast enough.

Link Posted: 1/26/2021 3:18:52 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

The rote learning is needed to think quickly enough. You memorize patterns then execute them. If you had to think of what every foot, head, hand, body movement was or meant you could never act or react fast enough.

View Quote

Do you think it goes to far? Have seen problems with this particularly with eastern artist and fencers, almost limiting when studied to defeat it, example, is it works the first few times and then is overcome by the opponent, it's a question I've asked many students/teachers
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 3:21:23 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Always thought there was something to the gladiators using nets in combat, often in combination with a spear or trident.
View Quote

I think this could be an option mostly because it’s probably not something the spearman is expecting.

Another option would be a chain weapon, like a kusarigama.

There are probably other options out there to try and bind up the spear. I don’t know if such a thing exists or could be made, a shield where the spear could penetrate, but then be difficult to pull back out,

I don’t know about the assumed rules here, but if one of those options didn’t work you could still have your sword and shield or duel wielding swords as a backup.

Spear is one of those things that is difficult to practice fight with, as other people have said, obviously you will need to close the distance to strike. It becomes difficult to tell what is considered a hit from the spear, because the spear is probably going to come into contact with the opponent, what is considered a strike pretend fighting, might not be a deadly blow in reality.
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 3:25:00 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

paradoxically, polearms are much more effective in general.
View Quote

I don't think it's paradox at all.

Spear/rifle is better, sword/pistol is easier to have with you for anybody but on duty military.

Spear/rifle doesn't preclude also having sword/pistol.
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 3:26:00 PM EDT
[#44]
A bucket of fuel oil and a railroad flare would greatly level the playing field if properly deployed.  Hell, just go all in and use a flamethrower.  That's not a projectile weapon.  

Or you could lure him into disadvantageous ground and drop a rock on his head.  

A shield and gladius would work but you'd have to be fast and willing to take some damage.  

Link Posted: 1/26/2021 3:31:56 PM EDT
[#45]
I'm surprised no one has mentioned the use of the hook being used on the spear against the shieldman
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 3:35:57 PM EDT
[#46]
Chainsaw.

The Texas Chain Saw Massacre (1974) - The Chainsaw Dance (4k)
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 5:43:44 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
I'm surprised no one has mentioned the use of the hook being used on the spear against the shieldman
View Quote

Is a spear with a hook still a spear, or is it more of a general polearm? OP has those pesky rules...
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 5:46:11 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

View Quote

Sadly, all the pain I’ve experienced never made me any smarter.
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 6:02:45 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

Agree, but my scenario is assuming both are well skilled, I see a lot of swords and spears on arfcom and I'm interested if it goes beyond just ownership of them
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

In this situation, you need to be the substantially better trained and more athletic of the two combatants.  

There's no "rock, paper, scissors" answer for this question.  There are tactics and counters for long weapon vs. short weapon and vice versa.  

Take a fat ass, soy boy, couch potato away from his gender studies and give him the best spear ever made.  Then go back in time and grab a veteran Spartan warrior who has survived multiple fights and give him a knife.  Who do you think has the better odds to win?

Agree, but my scenario is assuming both are well skilled, I see a lot of swords and spears on arfcom and I'm interested if it goes beyond just ownership of them

Yes, it goes beyond ownership.  There is no "rock, paper, scissors" approach.  There's no melee weapon that mere ownership suddenly provides you with vast advantage over someone with years of training.  This is why gunpowder and firearms ultimately changed how we fought wars.  

A polearm is probably one of the best options for someone with minimal training.  It gives you reach, and if you get a bit of luck you can stick someone who might be better than you but has a shorter reach weapon before they close with you.  But if they close with you, you're at a disadvantage unless you can add some distance.  

I'm no expert, but I'd be willing to bet if you grabbed up a bunch of untrained guys off the street, and put them in a gladiator match to the death where half had spears and the other half had stuff like axes, maces, swords, etc.  I think the spear group would perform better, but it wouldn't be 100% one way or another.
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 6:03:41 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

I would argue that the spearman has the mobility advantage, sword and shield can be awkward to run with and I agree that spears are best suited to mass unit tactics as well as behind a shield wall
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

this

I think sword/shield with better mobility has an advantage 1 on 1.
Spears/pikes are really awesome only in formation.

Also 1 on 1 maximum individual skill is predominant.
In mass battle minimal effective training and economics are important.

I would argue that the spearman has the mobility advantage, sword and shield can be awkward to run with and I agree that spears are best suited to mass unit tactics as well as behind a shield wall

Historical fencing (HEMA) Swords vs. Spears - thoughts and experiences
Page / 9
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top