Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 8:57:13 PM EDT
[#1]
That’s actually not a bad idea. Recurring contract you can choose to renew every two years other wise it sunsets.
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 9:01:27 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
none of the above.

don't get married.
View Quote

Unless she's your avatar
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 9:02:17 PM EDT
[#3]
I would have been ok with that. However , most women would never go for it because it means they can't take your shit!
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 9:08:32 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
 All the church goers say it is till death/eternal.  
View Quote

Which one is it?
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 9:08:52 PM EDT
[#5]
No.
Ven. Fulton J. Sheen: "Communism and the Family" (1947)
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 9:10:32 PM EDT
[#6]
If you can't honor a vow, don't give one.

Link Posted: 1/24/2021 9:12:17 PM EDT
[#7]
Just because you are married doesn’t mean you are going to get laid.
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 9:13:45 PM EDT
[#8]
Terrible idea.  Breaking up marriages is bad for society.  Name one successful culture that treated marriage this way.
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 9:38:14 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Marriage is a religious concept best reserved for those couples who want children together. The government should have nothing to do with it and there should be no opt out clauses. Just adults making lifetime commitments based on their shared values.
View Quote

Link Posted: 1/24/2021 9:41:02 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Which one is it?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
All the church goers say it is till death/eternal.
Which one is it?

Until death; there is no marriage in Heaven.
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 4:26:12 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Terrible idea.  Breaking up marriages is bad for society.  Name one successful culture that treated marriage this way.
View Quote

Vikings had just this. They did pretty good.

Every culture ends after a while though, even Rome and America, alas.
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 7:17:57 AM EDT
[#12]
Just don't get married.
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 7:23:46 AM EDT
[#13]
I think it's antithetical to the idea of a marriage. Before I got married I had this idea that I'd be trapped in it, with no ability to pick up and leave if I wanted.

Now that I've been married for a while, I'm actually thankful for the commitment that comes with marriage. No matter what happens, both parties are committed to working it out because we approach it as if there isn't another option. I think having a sunset date would just lead to a lot of people refusing to work on themselves and bailing over relatively minor issues.
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 7:40:15 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Would you like the idea of a 2-year marriage contract?

Can be renewed if all parties agree. This way, no messy divorces.

Would this save society or destroy it?
View Quote

Okay, go back forward in time you darn Ferengi time traveler and stop trying to change the course of Earth history to align with your own culture by inserting your cultures  practices verbatim in the current time for us which  is the distant past for you.  Go on, get, scamper off with yourself before I call the temperal agents on your @$$.
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 7:44:38 AM EDT
[#15]
2 years is kinda short and defeats the entire purpose of marriage.

The purpose of a marriage is to provide a stable home for the raising of children. 20 years would be a better time frame given the purpose. But at that point childbearing years are behind you so there's no reason for something that short so we ended up with lifetime contracts being the only one that makes any sense.

Now if human life spans were 120 years on average with extended fertile window that would allow for several cycles of family formation a 20 year contract might make sense.
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 7:55:01 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

What’s the divorce rate of church marriages compared to JoP marriages?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Traditional marriages now aren’t stable anyway.

What’s the divorce rate of church marriages compared to JoP marriages?

Don’t know but my JoP marriage is still here after what will be 23 years the start of June and We are still best friends. We dated for about 4 1/2 years before getting married. I think it has more to do with people expecting marriage as the normal and rushing.  We both took our vows seriously.
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 8:00:23 AM EDT
[#17]
If two people are capable of happily coexisting and raising a family then surely they are capable of doing so without involving the state in a contract that ensures men get screwed over. Both men and women will fake nice at first but women of today have been taught that men are below them and have no issues what so ever about screwing them over, using them, or just plain treating them like shit. Don’t put up with that shit and don’t get married. Hopefully someday things improve but I don’t see it happening soon.
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 11:14:27 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
I'm not planning on entering into any more marriages, so it makes no difference to me.
View Quote

This, after 33 years if something were to happen to my wife. I will never marry again. One because in my eye's and heart no one could replace her. 2nd I've too much to lose
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 11:16:05 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Just because you are married doesn’t mean you are going to get laid.
View Quote

I'll say this my wife has never used that as punishment or a bargaining tool. She never has said no.
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 11:16:30 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
I would have been ok with that. However , most women would never go for it because it means they can't take your shit!
View Quote

Link Posted: 1/25/2021 7:52:46 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Unless she's your avatar
View Quote
you say that now.
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 11:03:42 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

It's not about what you do or I do. This whole board is only a tiny fraction of the population. At the population level, it's a numbers game. If there's a significant mismatch between the expectations and desires of males and females, you're going to see what we've been seeing in marriage trends.

When you alter one component of a complex system, you tend to get unforseen consequences rippling throughout. Fundamentally altering women's roles in society (for better or worse, I'm not arguing for a return to the old arrangement) has produced these downstream effects, and we're in the middle of the repercussions. It's like a market correction after a major change in the regulatory landscape.
View Quote

Too many men expect their wife to be the fulltime homemaker and in charge of childcare while also working a full time job.

The New Rules of Marriage Paperback
$16.00

In this revolutionary book, Terry Real shows couples how to master the new rules of twenty-first-century marriage by offering them a set of effective tools with which they can create the truly intimate relationship that they desire and deserve. Random House. Available in Paperback or CD set.

Fair Play: A Game-Changing Solution for When You Have Too Much to Do (and More Life to Live) Hardcover – October 1, 2019
https://www.amazon.com/Fair-Play-Game-Changing-Solution-When/dp/0525541934

For years I did my husbands  laundry 2-3 times a week at laundromats as he only had 3 Flight Suits. I did his laundry for him for 30+ years. but he never appreciated it. When I asked why he didn't show any appreciation-He told me he thought I "liked doing Laundry"

I see a lot of young men who don't want to make the sacrifices involved in raising children. Loss of Time. Loss of money. Better for them not to have kids than to resent their kids.

Lifetime alimony is gone most states- that came from a time a Divorced woman was damaged goods. Now it might be 2-3 years for training/education to earn a higher wage for the lower income earner.

Child support is for the good of the children. So many men think child support is unfair. But I think they falsely assume children cost only little extra. In reality, a single woman can couchsurf or rent a room in a house or live in a van or house sit.
Kids need a stable home, hopefully in a good school district.

Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top