Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 4
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 3:13:19 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I won't buy a used car without a mechanic inspection.  Car Fax and Auto Check are not perfect.  I've DQ'd three cars over the last two years (all with less than 50k miles on the odo) due to mechanic inspections that revealed major issues that both Car Fax and Auto Check did not catch, and a test drive (even with a semi-knowledgeable car guy like myself) would not have caught.   Every decent car buying service/channel (e.g. The HomeWork Guy) will say "no" to purchasing a used car without an inspection.  

The fact that your potential buyer is willing to shell out their cash for an inspection shows that they are serious.  However, 100 miles is too much (IMO).

How about some options?

1.  Say you'll accept an inspection from a local (within your preferred radius) Toyota dealer or AAA-approved independent mechanic.  You don't need to have AAA membership to find an approved local mechanic, and I usually double check against Yelp and Google reviews to ensure the inspection shop is decent.  I've used this route to inspect cars not in range from my two local mechanics and it works well.  

2.  Refer them to mobile inspection services.  I have not used these myself, but for certain types of vehicles they can make sense.  My dad is a PCA (Porsche Club of America) member, and there is one mobile inspection service that apparently it held in high regard for P-cars on their forums.  I can't remember their name right now but I did ask them and they only do Porsche cars.  You may refer them to Lemon Squad or a similar mobile inspection service that will come to you and save you the hassle.

Hope things work out.  I'm stunned at the number of dealers that will not permit a third party inspection for a used car (non-CPO) in my area.  
View Quote

What were the major issues that your mechanic identified?
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 3:13:21 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Have the mechanic come to you.
View Quote

Link Posted: 1/24/2021 3:13:39 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
I remember in the 80s my dad coming home with cars for the weekend that the dealership let him test drive, he of course had prior relationships with these dealers, I feel like even then this was a rare relic of the 1940s and 1950s, but I wouldn't do it now.  Don't be a jerk about it but let them know if their mechanic would like to meet them close by (or another mobile mechanic) then cool.  There are people who perform mobile inspections for this purpose all over the place, pretty normal, but taking off and putting 100 miles on a car before deciding is not something that's really done today.
View Quote

I'm not sure it's that rare, it's been awhile but around 2006-7 the dealer let me take a vehicle for a weekend test drive. No prior relationship or anything.

Mobile inspections might be a thing, but if the buyer has a guy he trusts that's who they will want doing the inspection, no alternative will be better. Realistically 100 miles on a used car your selling is no big deal. It doesn't change the value or anything, so the only reason to balk at this person wanting to take the car 100+ miles round trip is what it costs you in time/inconvenience. They can pay the price for that if it's important to them, it's realistically a similar cost to paying for a mobile inspection vs. bringing the car to a local garage.
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 3:14:21 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 3:15:18 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Screw that shit. F**K NO.

I once had a customer get firey pissed because I wouldn't let her test drive to Chicago for the weekend.  She just wanted a free car for the weekend. Sounds similar.
View Quote

Is the car insured in case it gets stolen or wrecked?

Considering they're your only potential buyer I'd ask for half up front and if they don't buy it you refund minus 60 cents per mile and any damages.
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 3:15:19 PM EDT
[#6]
For a $7,000 Toyota? Hell no.

I could see this kind of stuff if you are selling a Porsche or something but an old Toyota?

Had some yutz like this sniffing around when I sold my old Tacoma, had another try to berate me into selling it for 1/2 my asking price.
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 3:17:34 PM EDT
[#7]
A local mechanic with cash deposit would be reasonable. But 100 miles added to the odometer is unacceptable. Time for the buyer to shit or get off the pot.

If they refuse then its the free market telling you that you are priced too high.
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 3:18:16 PM EDT
[#8]
For a $7k vehicle, fuck no.

I guess I could see it if it was some $200k Ferrari or something collectible or rare, something along those lines
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 3:18:18 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
No.   There will be other buyers, and if not, drop the price.
View Quote

This right here. In fact, raise the price on them. Call it the stupid tax. Some potential buyers are more trouble than they're worth....

Link Posted: 1/24/2021 3:21:14 PM EDT
[#10]
Nope
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 3:21:18 PM EDT
[#11]
You're also assuming there really IS a mechanic 50 miles away.  How do you know they really do have the money?  Sounds like they may be looking to "buy" a car for their deposit offer.
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 3:22:11 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
For a Toyota with less than 100k miles for $7k? What in the ever loving fuck.
View Quote

This. I’d politely tell them to move along. They are holding up the line. That car won’t need an inspection for another 100,000 miles.

Selling a low mile Toyota for $7k is like selling a G19 with 100 rounds through it for $300. It sells itself.
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 3:23:34 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I absolutely wouldn’t let them drive my car 100 miles.

If I was certain they were serious and nobody else was interested, I’d drive it to their mechanic myself. The car doesn’t leave my sight until the title gets signed over.
View Quote

This, I could tell the story about selling a car to a former best friend here but I won't.
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 3:25:11 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
No.   There will be other buyers, and if not, drop the price.
View Quote

Or raise it, the psychology of selling is often baffling and bizarre. I have sold 2 cars in the past because
people felt they were too cheap at my original asking, when I went up on the price everyone thought I had
had the car refurbished. Go figure.
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 3:26:10 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Tell them to find a local mechanic to inspect it.
View Quote

That first post thing.
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 3:28:01 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 3:28:50 PM EDT
[#17]
When I sold my Ram Rebel, I had some moron literally tell me he "needs" to test it's offroad capability and wants to take it thru X offroad park. If it does well he will buy it.... I told him, sure after you give me cash or a cashiers check from your bank for 38k. The dude lost his mind and called me every name in the book claiming I wasted his time. He had his daddy call me to tell me off and to sell the truck to his kid or we might have problems. Nobody ever showed up lol.
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 3:29:04 PM EDT
[#18]
Last car I sold privately, the first potential buyer wanted to  do the same thing. I sold it to next guy in line. I don't have time for bullshit.
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 3:30:02 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Tell them to find a local mechanic to inspect it.
View Quote

/thread

Link Posted: 1/24/2021 3:30:30 PM EDT
[#20]
They can use a local toyota dealer for a PPI
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 3:32:10 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
When I sold my Ram Rebel, I had some moron literally tell me he "needs" to test it's offroad capability and wants to take it thru X offroad park. If it does well he will buy it.... I told him, sure after you give me cash or a cashiers check from your bank for 38k. The dude lost his mind and called me every name in the book claiming I wasted his time. He had his daddy call me to tell me off and to sell the truck to his kid or we might have problems. Nobody ever showed up lol.
View Quote
Wow lol.
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 3:32:26 PM EDT
[#22]
Since you said you haven't had any other interest in it, I would offer to drive the truck to the car to their mechanic for ______ (whatever your time is worth).  
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 3:36:17 PM EDT
[#23]

" Do you have any time in this type? "

" 9 o-clock "

LOL love that movie.....................cook it.
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 3:37:04 PM EDT
[#24]
The mileage is relative.   Around here everything is 30-50 miles away.  

Is an inspection reasonable.   Yes.

Does it matter where the mechanic is located?   I guess that depends on how bad you want to sell it.
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 3:38:41 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I won't buy a used car without a mechanic inspection.  Car Fax and Auto Check are not perfect.  I've DQ'd three cars over the last two years (all with less than 50k miles on the odo) due to mechanic inspections that revealed major issues that both Car Fax and Auto Check did not catch, and a test drive (even with a semi-knowledgeable car guy like myself) would not have caught.   Every decent car buying service/channel (e.g. The HomeWork Guy) will say "no" to purchasing a used car without an inspection.  

The fact that your potential buyer is willing to shell out their cash for an inspection shows that they are serious.  However, 100 miles is too much (IMO).

How about some options?

1.  Say you'll accept an inspection from a local (within your preferred radius) Toyota dealer or AAA-approved independent mechanic.  You don't need to have AAA membership to find an approved local mechanic, and I usually double check against Yelp and Google reviews to ensure the inspection shop is decent.  I've used this route to inspect cars not in range from my two local mechanics and it works well.  

2.  Refer them to mobile inspection services.  I have not used these myself, but for certain types of vehicles they can make sense.  My dad is a PCA (Porsche Club of America) member, and there is one mobile inspection service that apparently it held in high regard for P-cars on their forums.  I can't remember their name right now but I did ask them and they only do Porsche cars.  You may refer them to Lemon Squad or a similar mobile inspection service that will come to you and save you the hassle.

Hope things work out.  I'm stunned at the number of dealers that will not permit a third party inspection for a used car (non-CPO) in my area.  

You're gonna love these:

1.  Water leak (most likely in moonroof).  Visible water pooling inside the car (under the floormats).  The car had been stored outside (small independent car lot) and it hadn't rained for over a week.  The mechanic (in this case, a dealer)'s inspection regime usually included a "water test" but they didn't run the test for fear of making the issue worse.  In this area, which was hit hard by flood cars being sold after Hurricane Sandy we are all a bit wary of this issue.  I don't think this was a flood car.  

2.  Transmission abuse.  Mechanic pulled a sample of the transmission fluid -- "burned" dark color fluid was a dead giveaway.  

3.  Undisclosed accident/body damage.  Car Fax and Auto Check said no accidents.  Mechanic pulled me aside and said "this car's been in a wreck".  Misaligned body panels, overspray on interior jambs, etc.  

The money I spent on mechanic inspections was worth every penny (usually between $100-150)!  All cars had less than 50k miles and were a decently reliable brand (Subaru).  

Link Posted: 1/24/2021 3:40:42 PM EDT
[#26]
Stories like this are why I just sold my last car to CarMax. Sure I could have gotten like $2k more selling it myself, but CarMax was effortless.

My time is valuable to me and I’m not going to waste it dicking around with pain in the ass people.
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 3:42:45 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Stories like this are why I just sold my last car to CarMax. Sure I could have gotten like $2k more selling it myself, but CarMax was effortless.

My time is valuable to me and I'm not going to waste it dicking around with pain in the ass people.
View Quote
Between CarMax and the KBB Buy It Now feature this is how I've sold the last several vehicles. At least one of them would come close to my parting point for much much less bullshit.
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 3:43:58 PM EDT
[#28]

This was my first thought.

"You just have to leave a deposit."
"Two Meeelion Dollars"
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 3:44:20 PM EDT
[#29]
My main issue with this, is that in my experience people like that are the most likely to get cold feet at the end and waste your time.
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 3:44:55 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
I sold cars in the 80's and a guy showed up and wanted to test drive a truck. 1.5 hours later he still had not come back so I went to lunch, and saw the asshole using the truck to move out from an apartment. MF'er! I went back, blocked his car with one of ours and charged him double what he could have rented it for before I moved ours.  I bought rounds after work.
View Quote

One and a half hours is way too long for a test drive.

I would have called the Police and reported it stolen at that point.
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 3:48:44 PM EDT
[#31]
I honestly don't even see this being a question, but , no I would not.

You can bring your mechanic, you can buy the car, but no you can't take the car anywhere until you have paid me.

And all of this for a $7k car?  LOL, fuck noo
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 3:51:56 PM EDT
[#32]
OP. Do you have physical damage and liability coverage on the car that permits others to drive it?
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 3:54:08 PM EDT
[#33]
Lol
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 3:54:09 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
NOPE mechanic can come on their dime.
View Quote

This.
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 3:54:10 PM EDT
[#35]
Deposit would need to be asking price.
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 3:56:36 PM EDT
[#36]
Nope. Buyer checks it over or takes it with me to a nearby garage (their choice)...or I say "next" in the line of buyers.
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 4:03:18 PM EDT
[#37]
Yeah lot of people here aren't business men.

Make it 7050 once inspected or 50 bucks to do so if they back out.
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 4:05:02 PM EDT
[#38]
100 percent down payment, and they can take the car anywhere they like.
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 4:05:23 PM EDT
[#39]
I have no problem having the vehicle examined by a mechanic of your choosing but you're not taking a vehicle I am trying to sell on a 100 mile drive to do it.
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 4:05:33 PM EDT
[#40]

I'm really happy that somebody posted this.

For the OP, I'm fully on board with having a mechanic inspect a used car before I buy it. But it's not like a Toyota is some mystical vehicle that only has 3 qualified mechanics in the country. It's not a Bugatti.

Every dealership service department and most independent shops will do a pre-purchase inspection of a vehicle for $100-200 and give you a nice printed report with everything they tested and found and possibly even the price to repair/replace the part. Tell them they can get it inspected at a local (within 10 miles) shop. If you're getting any funny vibes, go with them.

I've sold cars and let people take the car to the shop. And I've sold cars where I didn't feel comfortable letting them take the car. Go with your gut.
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 4:10:31 PM EDT
[#41]
Very possible to get into an accident on a 100 mile trip. Then what?
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 4:12:25 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
non refundable deposit of like 1k and you drive it there.
View Quote

This.
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 4:13:26 PM EDT
[#43]
Its a fucking Toyota, tell him to take it to the dealer and get it inspected. There is no reason to drive it to a particular mechanic, unless its a super specialized car.
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 4:13:43 PM EDT
[#44]
7K Deposit....
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 4:16:16 PM EDT
[#45]
Why is this even a question? The answer would be a hard no.
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 4:16:51 PM EDT
[#46]
I understand you could use the money but...
The amout of time and trouble for this sale is probably going to be way more than it's worth to you.
Example....
My mechanic looked at it and says it's nice but there are a few issues would you take $6000.00
Example...
They wreck it playing around driving like they stole it because yeah they did and no skin in the game.
Local inspection or move on.
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 4:16:57 PM EDT
[#47]
I'd drive 10 miles each way max. They can have their mechanic come see the car or pay for some else to do an inspection on the car. There are people who do this for a living.
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 4:17:29 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
I they paid gas, time, and mileage, i would drive it myself. 100 miles round trip is not that far really, and its understandable if someone wants to use a mechanic they trust. If they dont buy it, im reimbursed for my time and wear and tear on the vehicle. If they decide to buy it, i would take it off the top of the purchase price, and eat my time to get it sold.

I would not let them drive it however.
View Quote

This.
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 4:19:23 PM EDT
[#49]
Isn't having a mechanic "inspect" the vehicle kind of asinine? Other than things that should be obvious to anybody (sounds, smells, leaks) is there really anything a mechanic is going to do in 30 minutes that is going to give you an indication as to how well maintained the vehicle is?

Link Posted: 1/24/2021 4:22:01 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
After having test driven it twice and used a lot of my time answering questions similar to "do the chickens have large talons?"

They have money, but someone in the family told them they had to have their mechanic inspect it. I need the cash, and they're the only buyer that has actually shown up. On the other hand, I've got to cut my losses at some point.

They did offer to leave a deposit and sign whatever agreement I wanted. It's a $7k Toyota, very clean, <100k miles, maintenance records, garage kept, etc.

Wwyd?
View Quote
Never mind  
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top