Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 3
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 1:48:45 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Op I am with you! Everything breaks and it all hurts.

Turning 51 next week:

Fixed so far:
Tonsils and adenoids (as a kid)
Spinal surgery 4x (Army related)
Knee surgery 2x (Army related)
Abdominal surgery (Army) 1x lap + 7x open
Cancer surgery 1x Left Radical Orchidectomy
Sinus surgery 2x Turbinate co-oblation
LASIK

Dental just completed -
remove 2 molars
crown 2 molars
14 fillings.

Still needs repair:
Spinal kyphoplasty (6 vertebrae)
Torn rotator cuff repair (left side)
Hiatal hernia repair (LNF)

View Quote

Hell, you’re a mess lol. Seriously I’m getting a taste of it.
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 1:50:27 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Or, another subtopic, how many surgeries have you had?

Turning 50 later this year, and, wow, what a shitshow. I’ve had an ACDF last year to repair a herniated disc at C5/6. Looking at additional work to repair a torn hip labrum and decompress a nerve at my L5/S1 (lateral recess stenosis).

To keep things lively, my left knee is getting more painful and is popping with every flexion. I guess active duty, hiking all my life, sports is catching up.  Being 35 lb over not a friend either, but I’m working that off.

Please tell me it at least plateaus, at this rate I’ll be in the mechanic’s shop every year.
View Quote

45 ish

My perfect eye sight started going.

Then the tinnitus kicked in

Then I ripped a shoulder shoveling snow off my roof

62 and hanging in there
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 1:52:07 PM EDT
[#3]
In my mid 50s it became evident that I wasn't getting any younger.
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 1:52:18 PM EDT
[#4]
53 years old, in decent shape... so i thought.

Got a stent put in last year to open the 80% blockage in LAD artery.
Right coronary is still 100% blocked.

Bypass surgery will be in my future if a heart attack doesnt get me first.
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 2:01:35 PM EDT
[#5]
Just turned 40 last year.  The two herniated disks in my neck and one or two in my lower back let me know I should pick stuff up carefully and use proper lift technique.  Every day my left leg and right arm hurt.  I’ll probably eventually need a repair.  That said, it can always be worse.

I have a family member that deals with life and disability insurance.  He just told me a story about a young man that started his disability because of a below the knee amputation due to bone cancer.

One of my coworkers just had heart surgery for an aneurysm.  Same guy had brain surgery for a tumor on his occipital lobe.  

I’ll deal with the pain over stuff like that.
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 2:40:36 PM EDT
[#6]
Right around 50 for me. Weird shit started like knees and feet hurting, then back problems. I think a lot of it is genetics along with how hard you worked when younger.
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 2:53:01 PM EDT
[#7]
I'm 65, I've only had one surgery, acdf 7 years ago. I almost had another one on my load back but it actually resolved itself after sleeping in a chair in the living room for 6 weeks. I did something just wrong or right depending on how you want to look at it and the disc wasn't pressing on the nerve anymore when I went for in for the operation I was actually on the table with the IV in my arm and the doctor came in to talk to me and asked me what could pain level was. I said happy out at 2 or 3 the other day because I always have pain back there and he said well then we're not doing the operation. I said but I thought you could still clean out all the chronic problems back there even though the accute issue was resolved and he said we don't work that way.
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 2:55:30 PM EDT
[#8]
Check Engine light came on at 33, I threw a series of clots that ended up killing off part of my kidney. Only had 2 surgeries, the first for a work related back injury, the second for a hernia.
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 2:55:41 PM EDT
[#9]
I'm not falling apart, I have had one back surgery but, had nothing to do with my lifestyle.
I can do anything now that I could do before the surgery and still very active and over 60.
The extra weight will always get you.
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 3:39:08 PM EDT
[#10]
At 48.  Felt great approaching 40.  Started slowing down at 45.  Minor injuries now take months or years to heal.  It's disheartening, but (unfortunately) there's always somebody who has it worse.  
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 6:48:46 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

I move like an old man these days. My wife was laughing at me a few days ago because of how difficult it was for me to get down on the ground to take apart some furniture. And I'm only 52.
View Quote
Lol. Getting down on the floor is a helluva lot easier than getting up!
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 7:05:06 PM EDT
[#12]
I'll be 52 in a month. I knew I was getting old when I started having random pains. When I didn't exert myself. Now it's sore everywhere, so it evened out. Lol
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 7:11:43 PM EDT
[#13]
I did this year. Just turned 40. My back would go out maybe once every year or two. This year it has gone out 3 times. Pulled a AB muscle for the first time, I ache a lot more, hands ache if I use them too much, and last thursday I pulled a leg muscle and twisted my ankle trying to white boy break dance at a buddy's bar.  I keep having to tell myself I am not in my 20's and 30's anymore.
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 7:15:33 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I did this year. Just turned 40. My back would go out maybe once every year or two. This year it has gone out 3 times. Pulled a AB muscle for the first time, I ache a lot more, hands ache if I use them too much, and last thursday I pulled a leg muscle and twisted my ankle trying to white boy break dance at a buddy's bar.  I keep having to tell myself I am not in my 20's and 30's anymore.
View Quote
early 30s.

i have a sneeze pain from L4/L5 and L5/S1 herniated discs.  
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 7:18:58 PM EDT
[#15]
I'm 42 and have had 11 surgeries. Same knee ACL x2,4 surgeries total. two surgeries on the other knee. Broke both feet/ankles, surgeries, rods/pins. Broke both hands, surgeries, pins/rods.

My ACL knee hurts when it's cold, but I can still walk 15 miles with a 45# pack. I'm sure it helps that I'm not overweight or my knee would be completely fucked up. Other then the pain im in as good as shape as when I was in my 20.

Op, if your overweight, fix that issue.

Edit- forgot to add I was bit by a tick back in the spring and got lyme disease, that was fun to deal with.
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 7:23:02 PM EDT
[#16]
I really started to notice a difference in my late 40's.  Knee and achilles tendon problems make me feel a lot older than early 50's.  

I knew things went downhill, but I really misjudged how steep that hill is.
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 7:28:21 PM EDT
[#17]
When I hit 35, almost died, and everything started to hurt.

I'm still here though.
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 7:28:26 PM EDT
[#18]
Kids.

Rub some dirt on it pussies.

Seriously, don't worry OP, it gets worse. Give it another 15 years.
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 7:30:37 PM EDT
[#19]
I was 37 and had a double Laminectomy on L2-3 and L4-5.  Fast forward 21 years and now it looks like I need more surgery for the spinal stenosis from that surgery.  I just had am MRI done and I visit the back dock on Feb 2nd.  Not doing anything elective with COVID.  If a steroid injection will work, I’m going that route for now.  

But when I hit 50 is when shit started hurting for no damned reason.  Around 55 my left thumb joint started hurting like hell.  MD said I have worn the joint out and need a replacement.  Hopefully I can get some of this shit repaired before retirement in a couple of years.  

The one thing I miss the most is the sex drive and the ability to blow my load across the room.  I’m lucky if I can get it all out now.  
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 7:31:36 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Late 40's I needed reading glasses. Early 50's, unexplained joint paint and decreased flexibility. Mid 50's, bladder cancer and prostate cancer. It's seems like I have chronic pain that moves from joint to joint every few months. Back, knee, shoulder, ankle. Which one will hurt at any given time is dealers choice. At least I still have my hair.
View Quote

I recently started have trouble seeing really small stuff.

FWIW I used to have 20/13L & 20/15R Now I'm starting to have trouble seeing super fine print.

I still tested at 20/20, but I'm seriously thinking about getting some magnifying glasses for stuff like reading pills, or looking for splinters.
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 7:32:10 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
I was 37 and had a double Laminectomy on L2-3 and L4-5.  Fast forward 21 years and now it looks like I need more surgery for the spinal stenosis from that surgery.  I just had am MRI done and I visit the back dock on Feb 2nd.  Not doing anything elective with COVID.  If a steroid injection will work, I'm going that route for now.  

But when I hit 50 is when shit started hurting for no damned reason.  Around 55 my left thumb joint started hurting like hell.  MD said I have worn the joint out and need a replacement.  Hopefully I can get some of this shit repaired before retirement in a couple of years.  

The one thing I miss the most is the sex drive and the ability to blow my load across the room.  I'm lucky if I can get it all out now.  
View Quote
is that a result of back surgeries?
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 7:32:45 PM EDT
[#22]
A bad accident at 45. My body aches everywhere most days. Broken leg, broken back, herniated discs, blown out knee with a tear in other still, hips are sore as hell most days. I was in good shape before that happened and worked harder than the young guys at work. Now it’s a struggle most days to get anything done. I never wanted to be like my grandfather and here I am.
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 7:33:34 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
gettin' old ain't for pussies.  
View Quote

Just turned 59 a few months ago. Only surgeries I've had were in my younger days when I played baseball.... both knees scoped. Then, there was the time I jammed the knock end of an arrow in my nuts.. Had my "buddies" pulled down into place, and put back together. A few broken bones from being drunk and stupid.... the only thing I've needed "help" with after hitting 50 is when I managed to have a grinder cut into my thumb, into the bone. ER staff sucked. Hit me with the numbing good stuff.... over an hour later doc came in to sew me up. No longer numb.... 4 internal stitches, and 10 external stitches. Good times.

Link Posted: 1/24/2021 7:34:52 PM EDT
[#24]
At 30. Losing hair. Can’t handle a hangover like I did at 20. In a downhill marriage.

All that’s been shed of except for the hangovers. 51y/o.
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 7:36:24 PM EDT
[#25]
When I was diagnosed with type 2 diabetes in 2016...since then I have gotten myself into the best shape of my life
but I don't kid myself, once we are over 50 we can go at any time.
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 7:37:35 PM EDT
[#26]
Battling plantar fasciitis for 6 years and not getting any relief. Being 49 isn’t any different than being 50.
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 7:39:14 PM EDT
[#27]
Tibial plateau fracture repair in my early forties.  56 now and had one arthroscopic surgery per knee since then.  Likely going to have two total knee replacements in the next year or two.
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 7:40:32 PM EDT
[#28]
At 2,437 years[youtube]watch?t=1m05s[/youtube]
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 7:40:45 PM EDT
[#29]
I am about to turn 51. I have stood on both poles. I have survived two helicopter crashes. One of which shattered both knees. I have survived two plane crashes. Both in Twin Otters. I am not falling apart. I’m being ripped apart.
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 7:49:26 PM EDT
[#30]
Age 78.....recently a knee replacement, a hip replacement, a polypectomy, a cardiac ablation, and a pacemaker implant.
I still love to shoot, but do a lot of UTV riding to targets on my 250 yard range.

Edit to add:  Toughest pill to swallow.....no more chainsaw, no more arc welder.... because of pacemaker.
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 7:49:58 PM EDT
[#31]
5 or so orthopedic surgeries, diaphragm repair surgery, gall bladder removal, four eye surgeries. A stroke. Diabetes. But the main problem is chronic kidney disease due to NSAID abuse with (1) resultant electrolyte problems, gout, and EPO deficiency (leading to anemia) and (2) treatment of CKD leading to susceptibility to varicella-zoster virus. and exacerbation of diabetes.

So, I think I've got to trade-in for a newer model me.
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 7:52:33 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
is that a result of back surgeries?
View Quote

Honestly, I’m not sure.  I know the area of my back has something to do with the nerves in that area though.  Co-worker about the same age is experiencing the same thing due to age.
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 7:52:55 PM EDT
[#33]
Started feelin' it around 50 or so.

I'm 64 now and the aches and pains are lasting longer than before.  I can still hang with the younger guys, but wind up paying for it in the long run.

Link Posted: 1/24/2021 7:53:39 PM EDT
[#34]
Officially, when I left work on short term disability at 55 and never went back.

I had 3 orthopedic surgeries before. One since. (knee and shoulders)

The handwriting was on the wall several years before.
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 7:57:16 PM EDT
[#35]
Hit me early 50s. I've taken excellent care of my body but just a handful of injuries over my lifetime really came
back and made their presence known, and lingering chronic issues for decades starting becoming dominant
health concerns.

Still in great shape compared to most, but I'm in pain from one or more things almost daily now.
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 7:57:48 PM EDT
[#36]
Same age as you and very similar issues

Started around 5 years ago.

Now my eyesight is fucked too. Tendinitis everywhere, arthritis in hands. Knees fucked. Overweight and until recently pretty sure I was in a depression and didn’t even know it.

Link Posted: 1/24/2021 8:04:18 PM EDT
[#37]
44-ish. I’m 46 now.

I tore a ligament in my leg flipping an atv, popped an ankle playing baseball, and one of my teeth cracked all in the span of about 3 months.

I still act like an idiot and treat my body like I’m a teenager but damn it hurts so fucking bad now.
I have a semi-permanent limp when the weather gets cold and my legs are sore for 2 days after cardio day on the treadmill but I’m still here for next dumb thing.
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 8:04:33 PM EDT
[#38]
Turned 60 and still going strong!  Don't feel this fucking old.
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 8:08:43 PM EDT
[#39]
Lose weight.
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 8:19:07 PM EDT
[#40]
Grumbles, makes old man noises, curses at cloud and moves on to next thread...
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 8:19:33 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
gettin' old ain't for pussies.  
View Quote

THIS
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 8:22:17 PM EDT
[#42]
It was my early 40s for me.

I was diagnosed with early onset osteoarthritis a couple of months after I turned 40.

Sleep apnoea at 41.

Gall bladder problems at 43

Diverticulitis at 44.

Now I understand why people used to die in their 40s
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 8:22:27 PM EDT
[#43]
Only two surgeries, but I feel like my "bad" side changes from week to week.

Left shoulder: pretty sure I have a minor tear in my rotator cuff, there's a burning pain in the same place but it only happens on occasion
Left wrist: sprained riding a bike, always feels weak
Left thumb: sprained bad the other day while pressure washing and still kinda feels numb
Right wrist: carpal tunnel from too much computer use/meat beating
Right elbow: blasted with a 9mm JHP, had total of 17 plates/screws installed to fix that and a few removed a year later
Left hip: pops out of socket easily
Left knee: feels like it's gonna blow out sometimes
Left ankle: stiff/super weak sometimes
Right ankle: previous sprain on duty that didn't heal correctly, occasionally gets so fucked up I can barely limp around

Not to mention the general soreness that comes with being fucking fat, but I'm working on that. Ironically it hurts less the days I work out than it does the days I just lay around when I'm off work, or work at a desk.

I tell you what though, it took six months to get over the increase in physical activity, and my feet hurt like shit almost every day, but damn if I didn't feel my best ever when I was painting for two years. We were doing 10 houses a week and I lost some weight, but mainly all the movement loosened me up and gave me exercise in muscle groups I didn't even know existed. I had a fuckton more energy than I've EVER had working a job where I just sat all day, and I could eat like a horse with no ill effects too.

I wouldn't want to do manual labor for life, but I can definitely see the virtue of a good amount of it and I understand why people like my grandpa who were raised on farms are still in such good shape; in his mid-80's he's still getting up on the roof and putting up Christmas lights, while my grandma (RIP) that only did secretarial work fell apart physically decades before she ever got to 80 and passed at 83-84 years old.
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 8:24:44 PM EDT
[#44]
18 but I have ehlers danlos syndrome a connective tissue disorder where my body produces faulty collagen. My joints constantly dislocate many times daily and it causes constant chronic pain
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 8:29:12 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
when I hit 42 and came down with Crohns.
View Quote

Currently active, worst it’s ever been.  Crohns sucks bad and people who don’t have are clueless as to how much it effects a person.
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 8:30:33 PM EDT
[#46]
Had two neck surgeries when I was 40, fairly major back surgery when I was 53, a shoulder surgery somewhere in between.

I'll be 60 in few months but still getting along pretty good.

Today was on the top of my extension ladder that was standing on a pallet on my tractors fork lift attachment raised high as it would go chainsawing some limbs out of a pine tree.

Link Posted: 1/24/2021 8:32:17 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
When I had a total hip replacement at 35.
View Quote
You win.  47 here.  Shoulders are next.
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 8:41:26 PM EDT
[#48]
Late 40's here. I lifted weights from teen through late 30's, running, biking, skating too. I overworked my shoulders, right one has issues. Knees are banged up but decent.

I work marine construction now. As long as I keep at it I can keep up with the crew, 19 yrs, 27 yrs. and 35 yrs. old.

Had a minor hernia a few months ago and took 6 weeks off to heal. Starting back up I didn't think I would make it...Back, sciatica, ribs (old injury), shoulders knees, everything cried. Took awhile to get back to speed, pain has went down. It hurt my back to do the dishes for 10 minutes. That all passed and I can again reasonably keep up with my younger counterparts again.

After the hernia I'm not jumping down off 4 foot high piers, lifting with all I can, etc. Not giving up and growing old gracefully, but I know I'm not 25 anymore.

Link Posted: 1/24/2021 8:42:06 PM EDT
[#49]
Hernia at birth, tonsils. Luckily my chronic subdural hematoma resolved without intervention. 58 and counting.
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 8:53:10 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
18 but I have ehlers danlos syndrome a connective tissue disorder where my body produces faulty collagen. My joints constantly dislocate many times daily and it causes constant chronic pain
View Quote

I feel for you, man.

My wife has that. The years of repeated dislocations have lead to 24 orthopedic surgeries and a host of abdominal surgeries.
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top