User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 4
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 9:49:40 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Germans.

The Concentration Camps are the very avatar of mankinds capacity for Evil. That was evil without precedent before or sense.

The Japs were a bloodthirsty bunch, but their massacres are well within the traditional bounds of the Mongols, Vikings, etc throughout human history - invade, put the men to the sword, rape the women, loot the place. Evil, but hardly unprecedented.

View Quote

Have you ever heard of the Rape of Nanking?  That was not a quick hit and run raid.  

Both countries based their actions upon their belief in their own racial superiority.  Both acted accordingly.  Both learned hard lessons as a result.  Only one was held responsible for their actions. This is like asking which serial killer was more evil.
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 9:54:13 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

Have you ever heard of the Rape of Nanking?  That was not a quick hit and run raid.  

Both countries based their actions upon their belief in their own racial superiority.  Both acted accordingly.  Both learned hard lessons as a result.  Only one was held responsible for their actions. This is like asking which serial killer was more evil.
View Quote

Nanking was more about the officers losing complete control of their soldiers. The Japanese army was a clusterfuck, lower ranking officers often assassinated their higher ranking seniors who were scared of them. A bunch of them even tried to kill the Emperor even after Nagasaki got nuked.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ky%C5%ABj%C5%8D_incident
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 9:55:28 AM EDT
[#3]
The country that eats raw fish and dogs.
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 9:57:50 AM EDT
[#4]
As far as your regular enlisted soldier (excluding SS & camp guards) - Japan far more evil.

For leadership - Germany was way more crazy/evil.

Both were fixated on racial domination, but that was more a cultural norm at the time for Japan, so the deviation seems more out of place for Germany...thus more evil
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 10:08:42 AM EDT
[#5]
2016-2020 United States

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 10:10:07 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Unit 731
View Quote

those gowns and mask. they look....................familiar.
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 10:10:47 AM EDT
[#7]
Who was more evil?

That's pretty subjective and not really open to an apples to apples comparison due to inherent cultural differences of the Axis powers as well as the one doing the judging.

"I suppose if I had lost the war, I would have been tried as a war criminal."  Gen. Curtis LeMay
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 10:11:18 AM EDT
[#8]
Imagine if China were filled with Jewish and Slavic people vs. Han and Mongolian people that no one cared about.  Our history books sure would look different wouldn't they?

It hard not to notice, whenever the atrocities of both world wars are discussed Japan gets the "oh and also" treatment, while what happened in Europe gets hammered to death.  To me, that says not so much that one Axis power was worse than the other.  It means no one gives a shit what the IJA was doing to the other "yellow people" in far away Asia.

In fact today even, most people have no idea that a war in Asia, followed by a barbaric and vicious occupation existed prior to the attack on Pearl Harbor.  But they sure will be quick to tell you about the 6 million who died in Hitler's camps.

Not trying to come off as an anti-Semite here.  This is probably more of a statement of how and what we are taught in school or see on TV, and how that affects our views and beliefs we carry through out our lives.

I still voted Germany simply due to sheer numbers and scale of what they did.  But Japan, I have no doubt, in the same situation would have easily bested them.  Lucky for the rest of the world they never had the opportunity to try.
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 10:12:06 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
It’s a matter of perspective.

For Downed Allied Airman?     Japan was far more evil.    Germany was chivalrous, ironically enough.

For a European Jew?     Germany was evil-er.
View Quote

This is the right way to look at it.

The soviets were incredibly evil too.  They would send their allies to the gulags.
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 10:12:30 AM EDT
[#10]
Well the left called Trump Hitler and his supporters Nazi's, sooo........
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 10:13:25 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Neither one would win a Nobel Peace prize, thats for damn sure. I dont think one would be "worse" than another. Both did some absolutely atrocious, inhumane and monstrous shit during the war.
View Quote

Link Posted: 1/24/2021 10:23:24 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

WTF are you talking about? 3 million soviet soldiers died in nazi camps! The eastern front was a fucking slaughterhouse!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/German_mistreatment_of_Soviet_prisoners_of_war
View Quote

The Russian treated German POW's the same way.  Of the 95,000 POW's captured at Stalingrad, only 5,000 came home.  After the captives on Stalingrad were marched through Moscow, they were marched towards their POW camps.  Guards would get tired of marching them and simply gun them down along the way.  Towards the end of the war Stalin issued orders for more humane treatment of German POW's because he realized that they would be a valuable source of labor after the war.  Most of them had much higher technical skills than the typical Russian peasant.  Many were not allowed to go home after the war for 10 or more years during which time they labored to rebuild the "workers paradise".  

The Eastern Front in WWII was a personal grudge match between Hitler and Stalin.  Both realized that one or the other had to go.  This even before WWII.  Stalin was working on plans to invade Germany right up until Germany invaded Russia.  in fact the Luftwaffe trained it's pilots in the USSR at secret bases.  Germany paid for this with gold which Russia desperately needed.  On the day Hitler invaded Russia, train loads of raw materials were heading into Germany from Russia so complete was the surprise.  Stalin barely escaped execution for being caught so unprepared.  

Russia literally sat across the river from Warsaw during the Warsaw Ghetto uprising and did nothing to help.  Stalin figured it a good way to cleanse the population of troublemakers at no cost to Russia.  
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 10:25:02 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Nazi Germany committed evil acts.

Imperial Japan was at its heart, evil and sadistic.

Germany = Monster
Japan = Satan
View Quote

This. Plus, japan was only a few generations from being savage tribal peoples. Sure they traded with the west for centuries, but they were still savages at heart. FUCK Imperial Japan!
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 10:27:30 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

WTF are you talking about? 3 million soviet soldiers died in nazi camps! The eastern front was a fucking slaughterhouse!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/German_mistreatment_of_Soviet_prisoners_of_war
View Quote

Well it was the eastern front and those were commies, so there’s that. Soviets repaid them during the end of the war, going into german villages and raping women and children to death.  Soviets, Germans and Japanese all hold a special place in hell
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 10:33:21 AM EDT
[#15]
Mao killed up to ~100 million of his own people.

More than Stalin, Hitler , and Japan... combined.
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 10:34:43 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
I want to say the easy answer was the Nazis and I love me some weeboo shit, but the Rape of Nanjing and their treatment of POWs awards Japan just as many evil-fucking-asshole points.

"...Nanking should be remembered not only for the number of people slaughtered but for the cruel manner in which many met their deaths. Chinese men were used for bayonet practice and in decapitation contests. An estimated 20,000 – 80,000 Chinese women were raped. Many soldiers went beyond rape to disembowel women, slice off their breasts, and nail them alive to walls. Fathers were forced to rape their daughters, and sons their mothers, as other family members watched. Not only did live burials, castration, the carving of organs, and the roasting of people become routine, but more diabolical tortures were practiced, such as hanging people by their tongues on iron hooks or burying people to their waists and watching them get torn apart by German shepherds. So sickening was the spectacle that even Nazis in the city were horrified, one proclaiming the massacre to be the work of bestial machinery."
View Quote

The vast majority of Germans were Christians.

Only a small percentage were cold blooded evil killers.
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 10:38:01 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Both. Both nations were evil.
View Quote
Throw in the soviets, the chicoms and the Khmer Rouge
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 10:38:12 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Neither one would win a Nobel Peace prize, thats for damn sure. I dont think one would be "worse" than another. Both did some absolutely atrocious, inhumane and monstrous shit during the war.

Lampshades made of human flesh? Spearing babies thrown into the air on bayonets? How the fuck do you compare that?
View Quote

Don't forget the soap. Use that and never be clean. The hearts of men can be evil beyond all measure.
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 10:38:52 AM EDT
[#19]
Grandpa fought the Germans. He despised the Japs! Japs definitely a level worse.
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 10:39:47 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Germany = Monster
Japan = Satan
View Quote

Soviet Russia tops both of them for sadism
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 10:41:19 AM EDT
[#21]
So why weren't the Rooskies included in the choices?
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 10:42:14 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Japan used vivisection on our P.O.W.s, Japan.
View Quote

Josef Mengele wasn't called the angel of death for nothing.
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 10:43:36 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Who was more evil?

That's pretty subjective and not really open to an apples to apples comparison due to inherent cultural differences of the Axis powers as well as the one doing the judging.

"I suppose if I had lost the war, I would have been tried as a war criminal."  Gen. Curtis LeMay
View Quote

Amazing how the US has moved towards smart weapons that are designed to limit collateral damage, while our enemies are perfecting terrorist tactics designed to kill more civilians.

LeMay's bombing campaign was a terror tactic.  But at the time those were more acceptable.
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 10:44:05 AM EDT
[#24]
The people in Japan were brought up thinking the Emperor was God, and I'm sure most really believed that.  When God tells you to do something, you do it. I understand why they did what they did.

Scarier, are the German people who went from a fairly normal population, with the same morals as the rest of Europe, to a nation of murderous sociopaths, just because one man, who came out of nowhere, convinced them it was the right thing to do.  I will never understand how the Germans did what they did.   And, one of my grandmothers was German.
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 10:45:52 AM EDT
[#25]
OP may not know a lot of the history of the 20th century.  USSR and communist Chine should be on the list.  USSR would win if a careful year long study of historical documents was done to create a ranking.
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 10:46:39 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
The people in Japan were brought up thinking the Emperor was God, and I'm sure most really believed that.  When God tells you to do something, you do it. I understand why they did what they did.

Scarier, are the German people who went from a fairly normal population, with the same morals as the rest of Europe, to a nation of murderous sociopaths, just because one man, who came out of nowhere, convinced them it was the right thing to do.  I will never understand how the Germans did what they did.   And, one of my grandmothers was German.
View Quote
Biden could be that man.
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 10:51:30 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Pikers compared to the Soviets. The Germans kept better records and got bad press because they were not our allies. Meanwhile Soviets raped concentration camp victims, worked hand in hand with the SS to kill Poles, and starved an entire country to death.
View Quote

Chairman Mao made the Japanese war crimes child's play when he slaughtered millions. In the Great Leap Forward alone he killed 55 million in a four year period. Evil is evil. I can't look at it in degrees except to hear the screams. Still we have managed to slaughter 65 million and they are only the babies. The evil of WWII is nothing compared to modern times. We just dress it up to deceive ourselves.

Trading one monster for another absolves no one..
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 10:51:32 AM EDT
[#28]
Japan for sure, but Stalin was probably worse than both to his own people.
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 10:53:24 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Japan all the way.
View Quote
Yep. It is not generally considered to be as bad, because they were mostly doing it to other yellow people.
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 10:53:38 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

View Quote

If you know anything about the Milgram experiments then you might find this book a fascinating read and possibly an answer to why your friendly neighbor, under the right circumstances, would do you in.

Understanding Genocide: The Social Psychology of the Holocaust
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 10:53:53 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Biden could be that man.
View Quote

Obama was more the guy who came out of nowhere, with an early background, that just defies examination, than any President we ever had.
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 10:55:22 AM EDT
[#32]
I know someone that said as a kid living on a pacific island he would watch Japanese solders throw living people off the pier in cages.
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 10:55:23 AM EDT
[#33]
Both pale in comparison to modern Deep State democRats.
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 10:55:32 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Japan all the way.
View Quote

They were off the charts bad BUT they did not build factories to turn living people into ashes either.
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 10:55:54 AM EDT
[#35]
They were both absolutely brutal. Voted Germany but easily could go Japan - unfortunately for the victims of the Japanese their story really hasn’t come out in any large scale meaningful way like the European/African theaters of war did.
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 10:56:35 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

Was gonna say this. The shit they did to the Chinese was flat inhuman.
View Quote

The rape of Nanking...could never actually finish that book.
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 10:58:46 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

Amazing how the US has moved towards smart weapons that are designed to limit collateral damage, while our enemies are perfecting terrorist tactics designed to kill more civilians.

LeMay's bombing campaign was a terror tactic.  But at the time those were more acceptable.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Who was more evil?

That’s a direct result of not having “total war” as a tactic. Important to know. When total war is on the table, collateral damage isn’t really that collateral.
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 10:59:15 AM EDT
[#38]
I can't help but LOL at these types of discussions in GD...  

The correct answer is who is the Soviet Union ? for $1000  Alex ..

But but   Stalin was  an ally .. .       and before he was our pal  accepting our  Spam and Trucks to fight the Nazis.  He was Hitler's Pal ...  Legitimately  the butcher from Georgia never thought Hitler was going to fuck him over ,  but Hitler was a much more dedicated anti communist  than Stalin ever realized.  

The best move we would have made was let the Soviets slug it out own their own with NO help from the US  ,  it would have solved two problems at the same time .  

Japan was more evil in a Bushido kinda way , the Nazi's were absolutely more evil from a scientific / business perspective because they introduced processes and efficiencies to the art of mass murder , but for economics of scale it was our pals the Soviets hands down .  The Soviets killed far people most of them their own before,  during and following WWII than Hitler .  

The only asshole who killed more people than Stalin was Mao ...  

GD Amateur Historians never fail to entertain...

Link Posted: 1/24/2021 11:00:31 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
The Nazis did many experiments which matched Japans in regards to inhumane treatment and monstrous actions. Dont think Germany didnt do every bit as bad of things as the Japanese.

Look into the Doctor Trials. The Nazis were every bit as monstrous as the Japanese.
View Quote

Link Posted: 1/24/2021 11:02:53 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

The correct answer is who is the Soviet Union ? for $1000  Alex ..

View Quote

Was "Soviet Union" one of the choices?
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 11:08:43 AM EDT
[#41]
Great question...kind of hard to choose one over the other given the atrocities that occurred, but I'll give the nod to Japan based on what I've read.
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 11:10:10 AM EDT
[#42]

This. They started off Axis anyways.
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 11:10:52 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

Germany = Monster
Japan = Satan
View Quote

Agreed.....Also include Stalin's Soviet Union.
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 11:11:05 AM EDT
[#44]
I'll go with the Japanese on this one
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 11:11:27 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Germans.

The Concentration Camps are the very avatar of mankinds capacity for Evil. That was evil without precedent before or sense.

The Japs were a bloodthirsty bunch, but their massacres are well within the traditional bounds of the Mongols, Vikings, etc throughout human history - invade, put the men to the sword, rape the women, loot the place. Evil, but hardly unprecedented.

History Major, so yes.

Nanking was brutal, but standard conquering barbarian army behavior, seen many times throughout history. Barbarians invade, chimp out, kill the man, rape the women, steal everyones shit.

Due to the lack of contemporary records, estimates of the violence associated with the Mongol conquests vary considerably.[36] Not including the mortality from the Plague in Europe, West Asia, or China[37] it is possible that between 20 and 57 million people were killed between 1206 and 1405 during the various campaigns of Genghis Khan, Kublai Khan, and Timur.[38][39][40] The havoc included battles, sieges,[41] early biological warfare,[42] and massacres.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Destruction_under_the_Mongol_Empire

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wartime_sexual_violence#Antiquity

Creating multiple mechanized, vertically integrated death factories for the pre-meditated, systematic extermination of millions of people ala Germany 1939-45? Thats uniquely evil, and without precedent.

Link Posted: 1/24/2021 11:11:40 AM EDT
[#46]
Soviet Union
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 11:13:05 AM EDT
[#47]
Japanese were brutal as a matter of their culture and non-western mores.  

Nazis were selectively brutal for the sake of being evil motherfuckers.
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 11:13:35 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

Was "Soviet Union" one of the choices?
View Quote

Quite simple put I do not care...  Historical accuracy is more important than the OP's lack of historical knowledge.  

Soviets more evil easily..
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 11:17:20 AM EDT
[#49]
if it's between getting gassed to death or maybe just hard labor in a camp, or the japanese normal practices being raped to death, used for disease testing, used for weapons testing, or just left to starve in a cage for weeks or months. i'd take the camp or gas chamber.

not to say the germans didn't do unimaginably bad things, but my understanding is that was mostly the exception not the rule and generally they just killed people as efficiently as possible. theres a reason mengele was famous for what seems to have just been the accepted normal in japan. its one thing to hack someone up with a sword to save bullets. its another to make them suffer to death for no real reason. it seems a lot more of the latter came from japan.
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 11:18:59 AM EDT
[#50]
Poll fail.

No, "Both Equally."  They committed both the same, and different, crimes.

An equal crime was the Allies letting most of them off the hook.
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top